Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
mcdude

Default Coe House

Hi Rinker:
Last time this subject came up there were many glowing recommendations for the Coe House in Center Harbor. I have not been but I understand there is a very private and romantic dining room upstairs. Enjoy!

http://www.coehouse.com/

Last edited by webmaster; 04-05-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Meridith Taxpayer

Default Re: Good place to eat

The Coe House in Center Harbor is good and there is a new Restaurant where Chequers was. It is called Canoes. I just went by and the place was very crowded but that means the food is good.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:07 AM   #3
huge food fan

We went to Christmas Island this past weekend. The food was horrible but the waitress in the bar was even worse. What language she used and talked to guests.We felt like we were doing them a favor by eating there. I like to have courteous servers without the vulgarities. We will never go there again. Looking forward to trying the Coe House.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
birdman

FYI If you are going to Coe House . Make sure you ask what your time limit is on you table . We ate there Saturday night (VALENTINE 6:30)four couples . Service was slow , not due to waitress,they were under staff. After two 1/2 hours . We ask for coffee and were informed by the waitress that if we wanted coffee we had to go upstairs because someone was waiting for out table since 8:15 That would put our allotted time at table 1 hour and 45 minutes . We were then inform by a not so nice hostess that there is a two hour limit on table's and that is a standard at all restaurants in lakes region . When we made reservation ,there was no mention of this or does it say that anywhere . You would think after a $343 dollar bill that we could have a cup of coffee at our table.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
John

While I do not think I have ever been there, I hope that you informed the management of the dislike of food and the mouth of the waitress. You would be doing them a large favor, and doing the rest of us a favor also.

To me to post negative responses on the internet about restaurants, and not saying anything to the owner is not right.

I think I would say something, and at another time check back to see if its improved. If the waitress is still there then move on, cause she is not gonna change.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2004, 09:44 PM   #6
Harrold

Wow.....I've never heard of such a policy anywhere! However, I can see that restaurants probably expect that their customers would be done eating in 2 hours....so they could book a second seating....but I would think that the restaurant would find a better solution than to ask the customer to leave.......Wow!!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
Nav Man

I was not impressed with the coe house myself. Slow service, small portions, and a large bill. We called ahead and were told we could not get in until 8:30. We showed up at 7:15 or so to have some cocktails and let the hostess know we were there. This put her right into a Tizzy. Why were we there so early she asked?? Theres no room in the bar she said I walked up to find two empty tables in the bar area. I returned to the hostess stand and asked about them?? She said " those are reserved for dinner only". We waited our time and no one ever sat in those seats at the bar??? Sound like there getting pretty greedy to me. The 10 of us will not go back. Very disappointed.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:40 AM   #8
Non-Voting Taxpayer

Had the same terrible experience at the Coe House Valentines night. Made reservations, but we had to wait 1 1/2 hours to get our table. They told us to wait in the bar upstairs but when we got up there, there was no place to sit or stand. They had seated 10 people at a table in the bar area. Waited twenty minutes to get a drink in the smoke filled room.
The place was clearly understaffed and unfriendly. They obviously were going with their off season crew and didn't add any staff for such a busy night. We also thought the food was average at best. Very disappointing from everything we had heard about the place. Will not be going back there anytime in the near future. Could have had a better experience at many other places in the area for half the price.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:41 AM   #9
Non-Voting Taxpayer

Don't bother. The Coe House is not all it is reported to be. Overpriced and staff also unfriendly.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Coe House

I mailed all the comments to the Coe House. It is very likely that the owners have no clue that so many things are wrong.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
birdman

Default Re: Coe House

Thank You

We did ask for the manager that night , but that not so nice hostess told us he was to busy cooking.
Also have been playing phone tag with some one from there.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:01 PM   #12
Colt

As strange as it sounds I'm relieved to see some of the negative comments about the Coe house.

I too read the countless rave reviews in previous posts. I went on Valantine's Day with my wife and was greeted by an extremely rude hostess. My waitress did a better disappearing act than David Copperfield. On Top of all that the food was cold and probably wouldn't have tasted any better if it was warm. I complained about the fish and the waitress answered (can you believe this)..."300 other people haven't had any problems with the food tonight".

I should probably give them another shot during the summer when their on their game but with so many choices I can't guarantee I will.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:34 AM   #13
the coehouse

My sincere apologies for those of you that had such a bad experience on Valentines night....we were booked to the max and badly understaffed without our seasonal crew.I can tell you that we're doing everything possible to make sure that it doesn't happen again.We haven't had this many complaints in five years so you can bet it's got all of our attention.Any of us can make mistakes,and those can be corrected,but the one thing I will not tolerate is rudeness.I'll be in my office on Sat and Sun morning this week,as well as most weekdays (except Monday) and I welcome your comments.Hope you try us again......I think you'll find us back back on our game.
Bob Jones
476-5135
Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #14
Zanne

Sounds like a sincere apology to me. I have been to the Coe House many times during the summer season and have never had anything but a wonderful experience. But I've never tried it off-season or on a major holiday. I've been yearning for some of their wonderful creme brule (with blueberries on the bottom!) It may be time to splurge.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:54 AM   #15
Non-Voting Taxpayer

I like an owner who takes responsibility. I will try the Coe House again only because I believe they will look into the problems they had on Valentines Day.
One thing I forgot to mention in my prior posts. I really felt bad for the bartender that night who served us before we were seated. You can only mix drinks so fast and he really was busy, my twenty minute wait was not his fault. It was just the volume of drinks being ordered from the waitresses.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:19 AM   #16
the coehouse

Colt,I'd really appreciate a call or an e-mail regarding your server that night.I have always been proud of our crew,and consider them the best around.We've had pretty much the same servers for the last five years and have had many good comments over the years.I was shocked to think that anyone who works for me would say such a thing to a customer(300 other people haven't complained)and I just need to know where you were seated,or the name on the reservation and I can deal with that person.Thanks for the help.
Bob
Old 02-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #17
newowner

We tried the Coe house for the first time on Valentine's Day and we loved our meal! The food was great and the table we had was quiet and just what we were looking for! Just wanted to let you know not everyone was unsatisfied that night! We will be back in the future!!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #18
Boater

Bob, I commend you for responding so professionally and for being so concerned about your customers. Problems and mistakes do happen but it is how a business responds to those problems that is the true test.

I've never tried the Coe House but will now. See you in the spring.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #19
Colt

Bob,

I tried to call you and clarify my comments. I know, as a business owner, how valuable direct feedback can be. However the number you gave in area code (603) is disconnected???
Old 02-20-2004, 11:09 PM   #20
K&S

We too were at the Coe House on Valentines Day. I'm pleased to say that dinner and service was just as impressive as any one of the other dozens of times we have been to the Coe House. It's sort of funny reading through all these posts about one night where a restaurant in the Lakes Region has over 300 people and there is a wait. Things happen.

My favorite there is the Parmesan Encrusted Salmon with the Horseradish sauce. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! For New Hampshire ... the Coe House is a 10.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:26 PM   #21
GWC...

Default Try this number...

Coe House
Route 25B, Center Harbor Village,
New Hampshire 03226

(603) 253-8617
Old 02-21-2004, 07:54 AM   #22
the coehouse

Colt....I've had the same number at my office for 18 years...603-476 5137.I'm usually around in the morning.My e-mail is thecoehouse@aol.com
Thanks
Old 02-21-2004, 09:18 AM   #23
Local Couple

My husband and I frequent the Coe House, on average, two times a week during the winter months and 4 days a week during the summer. Some of our favorite restaurants in Boston would be Mistral, Nine Park, Hammers Lee Bistro, Radius, Via Matta and Sage. In our opinion ... none of which has the local friendly service the Coe House has on a consistent basis. Every restaurant can have a bad day .... we just have not found that day at the Coe House yet!! The food is incredible there and now they have Atkin's and South Beach Diet menus etc!!!! You guys work out of the box and it shows!
Old 02-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #24
GWC...

Default Guess my number??? Apples and Oranges???

Post #1:
Bob Jones 476-5135

Post #2:
I've had the same number at my office for 18 years...603-476 5137

Old 02-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #25
the coehouse

Default Re: Guess my number??? Apples and Oranges???

You're right GWC....first post was a typo......:
Old 02-22-2004, 10:26 AM   #26
Boston Babe

Even Boston had it's problems on Valentines Day.. It is hard to prepare for a mob scene. We tried to get into 3 restaurants that night in Boston and they all had a 2 1/2 hr wait. The service was slow of course it's just the nature of the night. I think the Coe house should catch a break on this one... Lets give them another try... Cut Bob a break he has responded several times and is trying to correct the problem. Good Luck Bob
Old 02-25-2004, 08:41 AM   #27
556 ZP

Its amazing to me that that there are posts indicating rude service & then there are posts praising the service on the same night. It doesn't sound like the same restaurant. Thats why I do not rely on others opinions. I go to the restaurant & form my own.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:05 PM   #28
WakeUp

Default John, Come back to earth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
While I do not think I have ever been there, I hope that you informed the management of the dislike of food and the mouth of the waitress. You would be doing them a large favor, and doing the rest of us a favor also.

To me to post negative responses on the internet about restaurants, and not saying anything to the owner is not right.

I think I would say something, and at another time check back to see if its improved. If the waitress is still there then move on, cause she is not gonna change.
John:

I have a hard time believing you actually mean what you say. ***

To post a negative response on any forum after a lousy experience at a restaurant is the thing to do! *** Ohhh...yes, I have been involved in the restaurant business!! My interests involve several chains.....at last count, one them has over 70 stores!! ***

Last edited by webmaster; 04-20-2004 at 11:23 PM. Reason: removed personal attacks, keep it friendly
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #29
Yes, Dear

Default Romantic

We go to the Coe House a few times a year and have found it to be a great experience every time. Call me a romantic fool but after having been in the restaurant business in my youth I can say from experience that you are much better off staying home a cooking up your own romantic dinner on Valentine's. Take her out the night before or the night after if you like, you'll be better off for it. Mother's Day is coming up, want some advice on where to go to dinner?
Yes, Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:08 PM   #30
LillithFaewen

Thumbs up Excellence

This resteraunt is superb in every area. I have never had a bad experience there. Resteraunts were insane everywhere on Valentines Day and you can't blame them for getting a little ruffled. The food, atmosphere and service are excellent.
LillithFaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:06 PM   #31
KonaChick

The Coe House is one of our favorite restaurants in the area too!! We boat over, tie up at Ctr. Harbor docks then walk up. It's like a movie..if anyone had ever told me when I was little I'd be boating to a quaint country restaurant on a beautiful lake, I would have told them they were crazy!! Life is good..God is good..let us be thankful for our food amen.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:30 PM   #32
LSBA Joker

Smile Coe House last Sat. night

Thanks to all for the glowing recommendations, and let me add one. My wife and I went to the Woodshed Friday and had another fine experience. As usual, the only negative is the owner/hostess with an attitude problem. The regular hostess, waitstaff, food and atmosphere were once again up to par.

Then....we tried the Coe House. A cheerful, owner/hostess greeted us and gave us a tour when we mentioned we were first-timers. We were then led upstairs to a quiet window table. Our waitress has perfect timing and knowledge of the specials. The food (swordfish and filet mignon) were steaming hot, cooked perfectly, and presented elegantly. PRIMO experience.

We were under the impression that the Coe House was pricey, however, we had appetizers, wine and meals for almost exactly the same price at both places. Not cheap, but what I consider a fair price for a great experience.

A wonderful, adult dining experience.
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #33
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBA Joker

A wonderful, adult dining experience.
Keyword here is ADULT. My primary reason for going there!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:04 PM   #34
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default TV Diner Review

from New England Cable News
clcik here for Coe House

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:11 PM   #35
Just Sold

Wink Hungry?

Mcdude you must have been hungry for the lake resturants with these 3 reviews you provided links for.

Hope you were able to get a good meal!!!

Last edited by Just Sold; 09-26-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #36
NHKathy

Just read everyone's comments on the Coe House - still want to try it for our own review - but, management needs to realize, holiday or not- you have to set a limit on how many people you can serve with a limited staff during "off season". I would rather be turned away for lack of available seating than to be seated and have poor service and cold or undercooked food. Remember: unfortunately, bad comments travel faster than good comments. Hopefully this past Valentine's Day (2005) was better.
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote