Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2017, 06:28 AM   #1
gillygirl

Default Pop's Clam Shop Open for 2017

Like Pop, I got tired of seeing the "NOT OPEN" in the other Pop's thread, so I started this new one. As a non-fish eater, what would people recommend for me?
Old 05-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
winniwannabe

Haven't been there for a couple years but their chicken was delicious. Also
the French fries were tasty not greasy. I'm not a shellfish eater so burgers
and chicken are the choices for me, and both are very palatable. Enjoy!
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Like Pop, I got tired of seeing the "NOT OPEN" in the other Pop's thread, so I started this new one. As a non-fish eater, what would people recommend for me?
My wife and children also do not eat seafood--they've said all the other choices have been good, especially the chicken fingers, which, according to my taste-sensitive wife, taste like they're made separately (not tainted by fish taste).

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:33 AM   #4
dogma

Default Pops is tops

Boated over yesterday for clams and scallops
Both very fresh and delicious. Please support our local business people. Happy Memorial day all.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
StardogChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Rodeo Burger every time. If that's too much just a regular cheeseburger. A small onion ring is enough for 4 people to share. So good...
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
gillygirl

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm hungry already.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
dippasan

Default Can't get enough Pop's

Stopped in Saturday on our way through after attending our son's graduation.
Called ahead, (10 minutes +/-) Seafood/fisherman's platter was waiting for us when we arrived and it was gonzo by the time we pulled into WAM.

I can't speak about the non-seafood items but the seafood tastes so fresh and the portions are awesome. Worth every penny.

When we get fried seafood at other places we travel to we always find ourselves saying ...."Not as good as Pop's"
Old 06-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #8
codeman671

Why close so early on Sunday nights? We were there last night at 7:15 and the place was shut down. Tons of people in Alton bay, bike week plus everyone heading home should mean big business.

We ended up having to go to johnsons and waited a half hour for take out. The food window wasn't even busy. Not the best experience there...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Unhappy What I posted on May 21st was not a fluke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Why close so early on Sunday nights? We were there last night at 7:15 and the place was shut down. Tons of people in Alton bay, bike week plus everyone heading home should mean big business.

We ended up having to go to johnsons and waited a half hour for take out. The food window wasn't even busy. Not the best experience there...

Thumbs down Not a good start for pops ?????

Went down to Alton last Sunday 5-21. Got there around 5:30 all set for some Scollops and Clams. The Menu board had all these RED TAGS over some item. That was to indicate they were not available, they had RUN OUT of everything you could do to prepare a Scollop or a Clam with.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
GBGX2

Default Good Grief !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Thumbs down Not a good start for pops ?????

Went down to Alton last Sunday 5-21. Got there around 5:30 all set for some Scollops and Clams. The Menu board had all these RED TAGS over some item. That was to indicate they were not available, they had RUN OUT of everything you could do to prepare a Scollop or a Clam with.

Enough.... I am begging you !
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
Joebon

Red tags are the price you pay for freshness. This is nothing new. Go earlier next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
codeman671

Quote:

In all fairness the hours on the website do reflect a 7pm closing in May and June, my point is that they may want to consider staying open until 8 as I feel like they are missing out on a lot of business.

Just bummed we didn't get our Pop's fix , and had to settle elsewhere....
Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
Hillcountry

Respectfully, I think a restaurant running out of what brings the customers in the first place is not good business practice.
Sounds like pops is as independent as they come and purposely, plans on selling out every day so he doesn't lose a nickel.
I won't drive an hour to be disappointed as there are many other great seafood places around that don't "run out" of their specialties.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Respectfully, I think a restaurant running out of what brings the customers in the first place is not good business practice.
Sounds like pops is as independent as they come and purposely, plans on selling out every day so he doesn't lose a nickel.
I won't drive an hour to be disappointed as there are many other great seafood places around that don't "run out" of their specialties.
I was disappointed last weekend. I love T-Bones Lazy Man Lobster and went their 6pm last Sunday the 4th and the place was fairly empty. Sat at the bar tried to order my meal and was told they were out of fresh lobster.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebon View Post
red tags are the price you pay for freshness. This is nothing new. Go earlier next time.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
i never would go back food
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #16
pops

Default why we close at 7pm on Sundays

We close at 7pm on sundays in the spring time. The majority of my employees are school aged kids. It is important to me that they get home at a reasonable time because they have school in the morning. We have had this policy for close to forty years now. I care about my "kids" and their education. They are far more important than a couple extra bucks I would have made being open one more hour.
pop's
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #17
bumble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
We close at 7pm on sundays in the spring time. The majority of my employees are school aged kids. It is important to me that they get home at a reasonable time because they have school in the morning. We have had this policy for close to forty years now. I care about my "kids" and their education. They are far more important than a couple extra bucks I would have made being open one more hour.

pop's

No need to explain yourself to anyone! The product that you sell is fantastic! The way that you conduct your business is fantastic. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:10 AM   #18
GBGX2

Default I could not agree more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble71 View Post
No need to explain yourself to anyone! The product that you sell is fantastic! The way that you conduct your business is fantastic. Keep up the great work!

Bumble, thank you for this. I have "no dog in this hunt" but I could not agree more with your comment. This is a hard working guy doing the very best by his customers and employees. In my opinion, his approach makes a great deal of sense and he has been honest and fair in his replies. Thanks "Pops" !
Old 06-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #19
GBGX2

Default Well said!

Quote:
pop's
I hope this puts an end to these comments!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 AM   #20
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble71 View Post

I dunno, I think it was a reasonable criticism and a reasonable response and, in the end, I'm more appreciative of Pop's knowing their philosophy (as well as the civil discourse).

Old 06-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #21
smith point boater

Default Good for you Pops

Keep doing what you're doing. Food and people are great. Your formula works.
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #22
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith point boater View Post
Keep doing what you're doing. Food and people are great. Your formula works.
Except when someone goes out of their way to "attempt" to experience this seafood phenom and is shut down by red flags...buy more seafood pops!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Except when someone goes out of their way to "attempt" to experience this seafood phenom and is shut down by red flags...buy more seafood pops!
The posted hours are closing at 7pm. Not hard to understand why, especially since pops posted his reason.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #24
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Everything gone at 5:00 pm

Clams and Scolops

Yes you close at 7:00pm in the Spring. We arrived around 5:00pm that Sunday with still 2 hours to go.

If you were out a 5:00pm were you actually out 3:30, 4:00, 4:30????

I or no one here is questioning the quality of your Seafood, just the lack of it at a time in the day when we expect it to be available.

How does the cost of not buying another "bucket" of Clams or Scolops you did not order way against the Number of meals you did not sell? This also means Fries, Onion Rings and Drinks.

Before you Tell me to STOP, are these are not valid questions to be asked?

This is our 16th year of patronizing POPs. I don't think this matter will stop us from coming back.

WINNOCTURN
Old 06-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #25
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

We have a pizza shop in our town that makes it's dough fresh every morning. When he runs out of dough he shuts down. They have been doing it this way for over 60 years. If you want their pizza you have to get your order in early or go somewhere else. He only has a half dozen toppings all fresh every day so if you want something on your pizza that he doesn't have you go somewhere else. He only takes cash except for large orders. This system works for him and you would be hard pressed to find a better pizza. He's not in business to get rich. He's in business to make great pizza and support his family and the community.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #26
chipj29

I don’t want to speak for pops, but I’ll give it a shot (in response to winnocturn).
Each week pops has to figure out exactly how much fresh seafood he needs. He bases that on several factors, such as sales history for that given week, and he probably even factors in the weather forecast. He can probably only get the fresh seafood (the good stuff that he is known for) delivered once or twice a week. So come Friday, his inventory is all he has until the following week. If he forecasts his sales incorrectly, he either runs out sooner than he hopes, or he is left with not-so-fresh inventory that he can’t sell the following week.
When he runs out, sure he could run down to Shaws or Hannaford, but then he wouldn’t be selling the stuff that people go there for. Not all clams/scallops are equal.

Pops is not unique in this situation. Every single retail or restaurant business operates the exact same way. What is unique (IMO) is that pops is not willing to sacrifice quality in order to stay open later.

Again, what I have posted is an educated guess, but I don’t think I am that far off.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #27
codeman671

Quote:
Clams and Scolops

Yes you close at 7:00pm in the Spring. We arrived around 5:00pm that Sunday with still 2 hours to go.

If you were out a 5:00pm were you actually out 3:30, 4:00, 4:30????

I or no one here is questioning the quality of your Seafood, just the lack of it at a time in the day when we expect it to be available.

How does the cost of not buying another "bucket" of Clams or Scolops you did not order way against the Number of meals you did not sell? This also means Fries, Onion Rings and Drinks.

Before you Tell me to STOP, are these are not valid questions to be asked?

This is our 16th year of patronizing POPs. I don't think this matter will stop us from coming back.

WINNOCTURN
After looking at his posted hours during May and June, he is closed Monday through Thursday so having excess at the end of Sunday night would mean it would end up frozen not fresh come time to use it.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #28
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
We have a pizza shop in our town that makes it's dough fresh every morning. When he runs out of dough he shuts down. They have been doing it this way for over 60 years. If you want their pizza you have to get your order in early or go somewhere else. He only has a half dozen toppings all fresh every day so if you want something on your pizza that he doesn't have you go somewhere else. He only takes cash except for large orders. This system works for him and you would be hard pressed to find a better pizza. He's not in business to get rich. He's in business to make great pizza and support his family and the community.
Same with a cupcake company here in town. They are open until they run out. Sometimes that is only 2 or 3 hours and then they are closed until the next day.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #29
Skip

Angry You're making my stomach growl!!!!

Fresh fried seafood.....hand spun pizzas....and now cupcakes. You guys are killing me and its still two hours to lunch!!!!!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #30
elbie

Default Cell Phone

It is none of my business, but if I was that worried about being disappointed, a cell phone call ahead to verify that what your are expecting when you arrive could be validated.
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #31
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbie View Post
It is none of my business, but if I was that worried about being disappointed, a cell phone call ahead to verify that what your are expecting when you arrive could be validated.
They must have been in a dead zone.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #32
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default POP's Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbie View Post
This is a copy of the website. Their phone number is listed.

Phone: (603) 875-6363

Real Website

http://www.popsclamshell.com/

Name:  Pops Real Website.jpg
Views: 3562
Size:  54.2 KB

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 06-14-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #33
wifi

L-O-L Skip, me too !
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #34
Jersey Bob

Default Me three

I just ate and I want a lobster roll from you know where!
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #35
GBGX2

Default You are correct!

Quote:
After looking at his posted hours during May and June, he is closed Monday through Thursday so having excess at the end of Sunday night would mean it would end up frozen not fresh come time to use it.
See this link to another post that started this conversation, in particular #17:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=21904
Old 06-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #36
Doobs41378

Quote:
This is a copy of the website. Their phone number is listed.

Phone: (603) 875-6363

Attachment 13045
That isn't their website. That is Google. Their website is listed half way down this picture. If you click on the link to their actual website and not Google it says they close at 7 on Sundays.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #37
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Fresh fried seafood.....hand spun pizzas....and now cupcakes. You guys are killing me and its still two hours to lunch!!!!!
Hey, Skip. Good to read you.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #38
KPW

Call ahead. What a novice idea.

Last edited by KPW; 06-14-2017 at 11:57 AM.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #39
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Corect Website showing Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
That isn't their website. That is Google. Their website is listed half way down this picture. If you click on the link to their actual website and not Google it says they close at 7 on Sundays.
Maybe they should ask Google to update their display? It's the FIRST THING your "EYE" sees when you search for their website.

7:00 PM closing would not have meant anything to me as I was there at 5:00 PM that Sunday. Did they actual run out at 3:00pm maybe?????

How do they buy their "CLAM STRIPS"? Fresh or Frozen? They were gone also.

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 06-15-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #40
SIKSUKR

Pretty sure pops answered this question in another thread. During spring hours he does not want to have seafood left over and either thrown out or used 4-5 days later when he reopens. I'll bet you'll almost never see this when summer hours (everyday) start.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #41
GBGX2

Default See my Post #35 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Pretty sure pops answered this question in another thread. During spring hours he does not want to have seafood left over and either thrown out or used 4-5 days later when he reopens. I'll bet you'll almost never see this when summer hours (everyday) start.
He did answer it and I referenced the other thread! Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #42
Merrymeeting

Unless he plans on stocking horse-meat, I suggest it's time to stop beating this thread and let it die. Certainly the horse did long ago.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #43
GBGX2

Default Ha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Unless he plans on stocking horse-meat, I suggest it's time to stop beating this thread and let it die. Certainly the horse did long ago.
I tried to accomplish that in Comment #19... trust you will have better luck !

Thank you for your efforts !

Last edited by GBGX2; 06-16-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #44
winniwannabe

Default thanks for pic

thank you winnocturn for the picture of pops. Brought back a flood of memories when it was Andrew's... some of you may remember that. I won't raise the horse from the dead but I am going to get there this summer and hubby and I will feast on whatever is available! Happy Summer!
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #45
jmk

Aye there yesterday. Heaping piles of fried clams and haddock for us, but saw another fellow with this. Rodeo burger:

jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #46
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

On an Alton FB page, Pops announced that they are now open 7 days per week.
As a side note, someone asked if they served gluten-free batter, and he replied they do not.
Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by upthesaukee; 06-25-2017 at 08:15 PM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #47
SteveO123

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
On an Alton FB page, Pops announced that they are now open 7 days per week.
As a side not, someone asked if they served gluten-free batter, and he replied they do not.
Dave

Extra gluten please!!
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #48
dpg

Does Pops take "plastic?"
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #49
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
No, but they do take personal checks. Even if you have to rewrite it because a friend of yours discovers after you've ordered that he, too, doesn't have cash. Take a guess how I know!

Old 06-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #50
Bigstan

Default Wow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk View Post
Aye there yesterday. Heaping piles of fried clams and haddock for us, but saw another fellow with this. Rodeo burger:

Is that a burger on a mountain of onion rings, or an 8" tall burger?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #51
LucyLou

Default Try the chicken fingers!

I'm not a big seafood eater, either, but I do love the chicken fingers, onion rings, and french fries at Pop's. Oh, and try the cole slaw, too. Enjoy!
LucyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #52
jmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Is that a burger on a mountain of onion rings, or an 8" tall burger?

It's a double cheese burger with about 6" of onion rings and a BBQ sauce drizzle on top. Thing was very impressive and a huge meal for 7 bucks

jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:46 AM   #53
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
There is an ATM machine in the 'dining room'. First check to see if there is cash, at times it is empty!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #54
StardogChampion

The Rodeo Burger is my favorite!

As for paying by check, they take New Hampshire addressed checks.
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #55
thinkxingu

Went over tonight after hitting W. Alton sandbar (and towing a family whose boat wouldn't stay running into the marina). AB are my favorite docks--calm, plenty of space--and Pop's never fails to disappoint!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #56
Macavity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
AB are my favorite docks--calm, plenty of space--and Pop's never fails to disappoint!

That bad, eh? 😆
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 AM   #57
GBGX2

Default I trust "Pop's never fails to NOT disappoint" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Went over tonight after hitting W. Alton sandbar (and towing a family whose boat wouldn't stay running into the marina). AB are my favorite docks--calm, plenty of space--and Pop's never fails to disappoint!

We sure feel that way !
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #58
Joebon

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #59
Patiently Watching

In my opinion, Pops has the best fried seafood in the lakes region.
Not greasy, flavorful and perfectly prepared.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #60
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
In my opinion, Pops has the best fried seafood in the lakes region.
Not greasy, flavorful and perfectly prepared.
Patiently Watching,There are many others who share your opinion !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #61
JADAQ

Swung by Saturday for a small side of whole belly clams, wow! All I can say is wow! Excellent as always, cooked perfectly not greasy or over cooked! And the portion you get for $17 is bigger than any other takeout I've been to.
Will be a sad day when the season ends!!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #62
DougNH

Stopped in on Wed after hiking Mt Major and had the fisherman’s platter. I was a little hesitant as when I had the same last year it was overly breaded even though I asked for it to be lightly breaded. So I asked the same this time and I must say it was one of the best fisherman’s platters I have ever had. The quantity was excellent (two meals), quality of the seafood was great and the breading was light.

I add a photo of the current prices if anyone is interested, this was on Wed Aug 23rd 2017.
Attached Images

DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 AM   #63
dpg

When do they close?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #64
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Next weekend.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #65
pops

Default thanks for a great season!

We will be closed most of this week. We open Friday at 4pm. Saturday and Sunday 11:30-8,Monday 11:30-4. We run out of many popular menu items by Monday. We will reopen for the 2018 season on the first Saturday in May. I would like to thank all of our loyal customers for a busy season.
see you in the spring 2018.
Pop's
Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #66
Sal

Hey Pops:

What do you do to occupy the rest of the year?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:07 AM   #67
pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Hey Pops:

What do you do to occupy the rest of the year?
The last eight years I have worked at Berwick Academy. I am starting a new chapter in my life this year though. I am getting my guides license and starting a new business guiding ice fishing trips out on Winni.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #68
Doobs41378

Quote:
The last eight years I have worked at Berwick Academy. I am starting a new chapter in my life this year though. I am getting my guides license and starting a new business guiding ice fishing trips out on Winni.

Good luck in your new endeavor!