Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
mishman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 95
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Default Geese population growing

I used to see Canadian geese overhead in the spring and fall and it would put a smile on my face as they headed north or south. Unfortunately, now when I see geese they are nearly full time residents on the lake (at least eight months of the year) and the population is growing. When I think about how much they defecate in the lake, I can't help but think we need to get rid of these birds to protect the water quality of the lake. Do others feel the same?
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,564
Thanks: 454
Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts
Default

I don't like to harm any animals but I agree with you something needs to be done. They have at least 5 new babies every year. They are going to pollute the lake if they haven't already. There must be a way to get them to move!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,430
Thanks: 725
Thanked 304 Times in 200 Posts
Default

Put some inflated balloons where they congregate and when they come shoot the balloons with a BB gun.

They are reaching varmint status.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 751
Thanks: 219
Thanked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Default Even a proposal of birth control...

Sends the PETA folks into fits.

I chased four of them off my beach yesterday. First time I've had them on my land.

Are they any good to eat?
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
Winnisquamer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winnisquam
Posts: 380
Thanks: 72
Thanked 104 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Not even the annoyance of the crap all over your yard but how bout the health risk of your kids putting their hands in their mouths after harmlessly playing in the yard.. Push them 500' from a dwelling and wait for hunting season
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
secondcurve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,014
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 528 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Not even the annoyance of the crap all over your yard but how bout the health risk of your kids putting their hands in their mouths after harmlessly playing in the yard.. Push them 500' from a dwelling and wait for hunting season
This is a simple problem to resolve. However, given the numerous federal regulations that are in place it is impossible to respond to the problem/threat. The solution is straight forward: increase the length of the hunting season and remove the bag limit. Also allowing homeowners to shoot unwanted geese with pellet guns much the same way they shoot unwanted red squirrels would help. If we did this for a couple of years balance would be restored.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 4,699
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 1,429 Times in 774 Posts
Default Attractants

One of the problems with geese and lakeshore properties is the change from camps with very low maintenance lots to homes with nice lawns. (not just the so called McMansions)

Driving around the lake, or doing a putt putt cruise along the lake shore, you see geese on lawns grazing like bovines. Get rid of the grass and the geese will move. Someone needs to come up with a grass that looks nice (if you want to spend your lake time mowing, although a lot of these places do have landscape companies doing the yard work) but the geese don't like.
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-12-2016), Diana (06-12-2016), SteveO123 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Sal
Senior Member
 
Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 297
Thanks: 95
Thanked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Default not a cure

BBs are made of lead. Just the right size for loons to ingest. Not good.

Consider a good slingshot and a supply of glass marbles as ammo.
Usually not lethal but certainly painful when accurately placed.

Can be put into play when the flock approaches your shoreline.
A few near miss splashes are recognized and the flock tends to move off (to your neighbors property).

An energetic dog is also beneficial.

My observation is the damnable Canada Goose population increases each year.
A REAL solution should be addressed
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,494
Thanks: 784
Thanked 1,353 Times in 621 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
BBs are made of lead. Just the right size for loons to ingest. Not good.

Consider a good slingshot and a supply of glass marbles as ammo.
Usually not lethal but certainly painful when accurately placed.

Can be put into play when the flock approaches your shoreline.
A few near miss splashes are recognized and the flock tends to move off (to your neighbors property).

An energetic dog is also beneficial.

My observation is the damnable Canada Goose population increases each year.
A REAL solution should be addressed
All of the BBs that I have ever bought since a kid have been steel, not lead. Maybe you are thinking of shotgun loads or .177 cal lead pellets.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
SAB1 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,280
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 193
Thanked 483 Times in 358 Posts
Default ..... hit the coyote!

Looks like Moultonborough has recently placed a life sized replica of a coyote in their softball field, right outfield position, to help keep the playing field a no-go canada goose, poop-free zone, or something!

Maybe the Village Kitchen could sponsor the Moultonborough coyote with a "hit the coyote-get a free chicken croquette dinner!" and put the goose problem to work as positive advertising, or something, with the M-boro senior slow pitch softball league.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
Sal
Senior Member
 
Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 297
Thanks: 95
Thanked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Default Slickcraft's correct

Yup. It was the .177 pellets I was thinking of.
Thanks.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
noreast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 649
Thanks: 317
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Bring back Vikings, They will skin them alive and eat em raw.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
ITD (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,430
Thanks: 725
Thanked 304 Times in 200 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
All of the BBs that I have ever bought since a kid have been steel, not lead. Maybe you are thinking of shotgun loads or .177 cal lead pellets.
Correct. BBs are steel and pellets are lead.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
mishman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 95
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Default Lawns a problem

I agree that lush green lawns attract geese by the score. How lawns are even allowed right down to the lake is beyond me. There is clear evidence that lawns lead to phosphorous getting into lake water. Why can't people restrain the urge to have green lawns in proximity to our lake? I don't understand it.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-12-2016), Diana (06-13-2016), Merrymeeting (06-12-2016), SAB1 (06-13-2016), Slickcraft (06-12-2016), SteveO123 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
jeffatsquam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: moultonborough/sandwich
Posts: 176
Thanks: 172
Thanked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
One of the problems with geese and lakeshore properties is the change from camps with very low maintenance lots to homes with nice lawns. (not just the so called McMansions)

Driving around the lake, or doing a putt putt cruise along the lake shore, you see geese on lawns grazing like bovines. Get rid of the grass and the geese will move. Someone needs to come up with a grass that looks nice (if you want to spend your lake time mowing, although a lot of these places do have landscape companies doing the yard work) but the geese don't like.
As I've stated before.... I don't know of any Geese problems on Squam but I do know of very few lawns
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #16
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,427
Thanks: 216
Thanked 783 Times in 324 Posts
Default Scare Tape

I am not sure if this link will work but I bought this scare tape about three weeks ago. I had pressure washed the area the geese "visited" 4 times since April and it was getting old. The geese had been regular visitors and left the usual piles.

Since putting the tape up the geese have not been back. This tape is somewhat like ribbon but shiny silver. It is effective and inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,399
Thanks: 138
Thanked 956 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not sure if this link will work but I bought this scare tape about three weeks ago. I had pressure washed the area the geese "visited" 4 times since April and it was getting old. The geese had been regular visitors and left the usual piles.

Since putting the tape up the geese have not been back. This tape is somewhat like ribbon but shiny silver. It is effective and inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great idea and cheaper than flags
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.30976 seconds