Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
AC2717

Hi my wife and I are looking into buying a used jetski in the lower $1,000s price range. I wanted to know if the forum members could give me a what to look out for list that I would be able to use to try and judge a used jetski. I am pretty mechanically inclined but have never worked on on before and I have never been in the guts of one either.
So what should I look for that I would be able to visually inspect upon reviewing the machine?

Thank you very much!
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
NHKathy

Also, what are the better brands to look at and are there any year models one should stay away from?
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
jetskier

Post Recommendations

Ah, the proverbial question

I will give you my thoughts and suggestions. First, the number of $1,000s will dictate the individual model and potential age. Newer/higher end models tend to be more expensive. Although, it is the end of the season and you should be able to work a deal.

First, I would only buy a 4-stroke PWC. I expect 2-cycle to be banned at some point (other parts of the country are already doing this). In addition, the 4-stroke PWCs are much cleaner, quieter, and reliable than their 2-cycle counterparts. That being said, you are now in the 2002 and later models.

The top industry brands are Sea-Doo, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda.

You now have to decide the application of the PWC. Do you want a 3 person cruiser? Do you want a one person muscle craft?

So, post your application and price range and I can give you a more focused view.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Winnipesaukee

Ask the seller about the boat. Ask him when the oil was changed ("I forget" is bad); ask him when the air filter was cleaned/oiled or replaced ("uhh..." is bad).

Also, if he brags about how fast it is, or if he installed anything that would increase stock horsepower, then you can bet that it has taken at least some WOT runs, or worse. Be more suspicious if he is a 19 year-old with pink spiked hair and pants that hang at the knee.

If instead, he brags about how comfortable the ride is and how well it cruises (or sounds like he didn't just pin the throttle and flip the thing everytime he went out), you can presume it was not abused.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Pineedles

Default Be Very Careful

Sometimes visually inspecting the hull will not reveal damage that has been done to the Jet Ski, particularly in the fin area. I bought a used one and the previous owner had some damage that he repaired with spit and bailing wire. What a disaster! Had to completely remove fin and repair damage that wasn't evident even when we first floated the thing. A leak developed after a few hours which required the repair. Also, engine (Rotax) needed repalcement almost as soon as the leak problem. Soooo, be very careful!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Cristen

Default Yamaha Jet Skis

I have owned several Yamaha WaveRunners over the last 6 years. They are great watercrafts. I own a new 4-stroke, and it's rides great, and always starts up without a problem.

Check out HK Powersports in Laconia. Ask for Lisa....she's a great sales person and will set you up with a great used jet ski.

Good luck!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
DRH

Default Lisa @ HK Powersports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen
I have owned several Yamaha WaveRunners over the last 6 years. They are great watercrafts. I own a new 4-stroke, and it's rides great, and always starts up without a problem.

Check out HK Powersports in Laconia. Ask for Lisa....she's a great sales person and will set you up with a great used jet ski.

Good luck!
I don't know anything about jet skis but I have purchased three snowmobiles from Lisa at HK Powersports in Laconia and I agree with Christen's comment. Lisa is a member of the Whalley family which owns the HK Powersports stores, and she has been very straightforward in my dealings with her.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
idigtractors

Default Lisa @ HK Powersports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
I don't know anything about jet skis but I have purchased three snowmobiles from Lisa at HK Powersports in Laconia and I agree with Christen's comment. Lisa is a member of the Whalley family which owns the HK Powersports stores, and she has been very straightforward in my dealings with her.
I agree with both DRH & Cristen 1000%. We have purchased 6-4 stroke Yamaha snowmobiles, 1-120 snowmobile, a Rhino 660, 4 sled enclosed trailer and a Yamaha waverunner FX cruiser high output. Lisa and the other sales people are all excellent and really know the products they sell and the competitors units. Chris the service manager is great dealing with the customers working everything into both the customers and the dealers schedules. This writer can't wait for them to move into there new showroom and to see how they set it up. They also have some A1- condition used waverunners and all other equipment that they sell.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Here's another vote for Yamaha.I'm on my second Yamy waverunner,this one a 4-stroke,and have never had 1 problem.Love my new one!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Well I will put my opinion in here.

My vote goes to Dasilva's in Moultonborough. This of course if you like Seadoo. Yamaha also is an excellent machine, but I find that seadoo is a little more performance minded. Also the service that I have experienced with these guys is always been A+.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
jetskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Here's another vote for Yamaha.I'm on my second Yamy waverunner,this one a 4-stroke,and have never had 1 problem.Love my new one!
I have a SeaDoo GTX-4Tec and it has been quite reliable; I bought it from Freedom...now H&K in Tilton. In addition, I purchased my Kawasaki 750SX years back from Steve Whalley; H&K Laconia. Between the two dealerships they cover the complete portfolio of PWC.

I am taking a mini-vacation in Bermuda this week and went down to the dock to look at the rental PWCs. They are all Yamaha VX 4 strokes. The hulls are completely beat up but they all run. I think that is probably the best validation of reliability.

Since you are new to PWC, it would be best to ride several of them to see which one you like. If it is a private sale, it is not a bad idea to have a mechanic check the PWC prior to purchase. If you purchase from a dealer, they should offer you a warranty.

Jetskier
Old 08-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #12
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
My vote goes to Dasilva's in Moultonborough. This of course if you like Seadoo. Yamaha also is an excellent machine, but I find that seadoo is a little more performance minded. Also the service that I have experienced with these guys is always been A+.
Dilsilva's right at the end of Moultonboro Neck Road has a great reputation for servicing their customers needs. They have top notch mechanics, and I see them all the time picking up and delivering machines all over.

Sea-doo has a model to fit the customers needs from family machine to high performance. I'd definately give them a call.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
NHKathy

Talking Well, I thank you for all the replies....

I will take everything into consideration, thanks!
I'm just worried about the 4-stroke / 2 cycle part - does anyone else also think this will be banned here eventually? I don't want to buy one that's older and not 4 stroke, only to not be able to use it next summer!
Any thoughts? Also what's the oldest year that I should go back to when buying used??
Old 08-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
EricP

Default Look at a few different models

SeaDoo, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda all make very good products. It's all about how well it was maintained. I personally like SeaDoo and Honda. Yamahas tend to be bulky and heavy. You won't find a cheap 4 stroke out there that's in good condition. A good running 3 seat 2 smoker can still fetch 3 grand even as far back as Model Year 1997. I bought a used 1997 SeaDoo GTX from DaSilva in Moultonborough, they are good people there. I think about a week after I bought it the coil went and likely my fault. They honored the 50/50 warranty even though a case could have been made that I should pay for it. I have also purchased a snowmobile from them. So I second DaSilva Motorsports as someone to buy from. They usually have a few reasonable priced used SeaDoos there.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy
I'm just worried about the 4-stroke / 2 cycle part - does anyone else also think this will be banned here eventually? I don't want to buy one that's older and not 4 stroke, only to not be able to use it next summer!
Any thoughts? Also what's the oldest year that I should go back to when buying used??
I doubt it will happen that fast, and by then you'll have had whatever you buy for a bit and might be ready to upgrade anyway. Get something that you're happy with now and within budget and down the road if things change you can deal with it then.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #16
jetskier

Default Depends on the model

Quote:
The first 4-Stroke introduced into the market was the SeaDoo GTX-4Tec in 2002. Honda has only 4-Stroke models.

I would not even consider a 2 stroke.They are noisy, old and will be banned at some point. Several areas have already banned them. The reliability of the 4-Stroke models is much higher.

I would suggest that you go and talk to one of the dealers mentioned in this thread and decide what you are interested in. If possible, take a test ride.

Jetskier
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
AC2717

Default thank you

Veyr much for all the info, and please if there is any more info please send it along I was HK in Laconia over the week last week, I finally was able to get up there for a week, saw a beautiful demo Yamy for sale 4 stroke 150 horse (or cc;s) I am not sure on that one as I was just starring at it, only had 1 hour on it was a 2007, 3 seater. they wanted $8,800 for it. reasonable price or could I do a lot better on that price given the time of year and that technically it is used? had reverse, all digital dash, tow hook, no trailer though
Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #18
NHKathy

Default Thanks!

Thanks again to everyone...
I will be checking out Dasilva's next time we're up there...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
WeirsBeachBoater

Default well I cringe to even say this but..

Its a buyers market out there right now on pwc's. Its approaching the end of the season, so hold out on the deals, there will be if there isn't already big rebates and such on new. Even the used prices will be dropping. I have an older one for sale, and I am even contemplating taking a snowmobile in trade, at least I know I can sell that this fall, and not sit on this jetski all winter long!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 AM   #20
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
Veyr much for all the info, and please if there is any more info please send it along I was HK in Laconia over the week last week, I finally was able to get up there for a week, saw a beautiful demo Yamy for sale 4 stroke 150 horse (or cc;s) I am not sure on that one as I was just starring at it, only had 1 hour on it was a 2007, 3 seater. they wanted $8,800 for it. reasonable price or could I do a lot better on that price given the time of year and that technically it is used? had reverse, all digital dash, tow hook, no trailer though
10 to 1 they would have thrown in one for ya if you asked. They did for us when we purchased.

Last edited by idigtractors; 08-14-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
That's a decent deal if you can get them to throw in a trailer as part of the deal. 150 would be horsepower, probably 1200 or 1300 cc's
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #22
NHKathy

Thanks again ...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #23
NHKathy

Default How about Polaris ??

No one mentioned Polaris -should I take that as not very popular, too pricey, or not a good machine??
Any one have opinions on Polaris??
Old 08-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #24
chipj29

Quote:
No one mentioned Polaris -should I take that as not very popular, too pricey, or not a good machine??
They are no longer made, I think since 04 or 05. I am sure if you found a used one you could get it serviced. I don't have any personal experience with them however.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #25
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I will take this question.

Stay away from Polaris!!! For one simple reason if no other, They no longer are in the watercraft business. Same is true for Tigershark, It could become and is a parts and service nightmare. Also their value has tanked due to being extinct. Most dealers won't take them in trade or if they do its for pennies on the dollar. With that said, there are many Polaris owners that have had great machines, I have a friend that just sold 2 Polaris' with over 350hrs on each, all original parts... But as I said, stay away. Seadoo or yamaha, thats the safe bet!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #26
jetskier

Default or Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
Stay away from Polaris!!! For one simple reason if no other, They no longer are in the watercraft business. Same is true for Tigershark, It could become and is a parts and service nightmare. Also their value has tanked due to being extinct. Most dealers won't take them in trade or if they do its for pennies on the dollar. With that said, there are many Polaris owners that have had great machines, I have a friend that just sold 2 Polaris' with over 350hrs on each, all original parts... But as I said, stay away. Seadoo or yamaha, thats the safe bet!
or Honda.

Jetskier
Old 08-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #27
idigtractors

Smile Or Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
or Honda.

Jetskier
I thought that they were a motorcycle or is that what you are talking about but with some type of ski in place of the wheels???
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #28
codeman671

Quote:
We had an 04 Polaris MSX140 and loved it. Polaris extended everyones warranty by a year when they cancelled the line. They also pledged that there would be no issue on getting parts in the future through any Polaris dealer. I would buy a used MSX again in a heartbeat for the right deal. I talked to someone on Craigslist a few months back but they wanted stupid money for theirs. I think they were under the assumption that it was a collectors item now that Polaris does not build them any more....
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #29
jetskier

Default They make a good PWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigtractors
I thought that they were a motorcycle or is that what you are talking about but with some type of ski in place of the wheels???
http://powersports.honda.com/watercraft/
Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #30
Dave M

Default PWC - 3 seater

Don't know if this fits this catagory but if your buying any PWC you should buy a 3 seater. Its considered a boat. You then can use it on Squam Lake. They don't like it but they can't stop you. They do check. FYI, 40mph speed limit.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #31
AC2717

Default definatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
Don't know if this fits this category but if your buying any PWC you should buy a 3 seater. Its considered a boat. You then can use it on Squam Lake. They don't like it but they can't stop you. They do check. FYI, 40mph speed limit.

Dave M
I am looking for a 3 seater only, nothing smaller nothing bigger.
I was into HK the other day was looking at the 2007 Sea.doo 130hp SE, same as gte just has the mirrors and the black hull and more on the dash for system monitors.

Spoke the owner of HK, he was there, I think his name was mike real nice guy, tall short hair, he was at the tilton store real nice guy, I think I will purchase maybe if I can persuade my wife, after all it is really for her.