Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Just buried a dead Fox....

At work yesterday I almost stepped on a sick/old/hurt fox. As I got near it stood up and walked about 6 steps and then laid down under our deck. I called the PD but they told me to call fish and game. Did that but they did not want to drive all the way here it Wolfeboro if the fox had left it would be a long trip for nothing. I agreed. I figured it looked pretty bad off and contemplated shooting it, to put it out of it's misery. But I decided it was on it's last breaths anyway. So this morning, there it was all splayed out. Dead as a door nail.
I buried it in a sleeping position out by the tree line. So it could watch over the meadow....
Life has it's beginnings, it's middles, and it's ends....Have peaceful dreams Mr. Fox..

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
ApS

Red face He's Dead, Jim...

Maybe it was not doing so well when you pronounced it, "No, it is not dead"?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
At work yesterday I almost stepped on a sick/old/hurt fox. As I got near it stood up and walked about 6 steps and then laid down under our deck. I called the PD but they told me to call fish and game. Did that but they did not want to drive all the way here it Wolfeboro if the fox had left it would be a long trip for nothing. I agreed. I figured it looked pretty bad off and contemplated shooting it, to put it out of it's misery. But I decided it was on it's last breaths anyway. So this morning, there it was all splayed out. Dead as a door nail.
I buried it in a sleeping position out by the tree line. So it could watch over the meadow....
Life has it's beginnings, it's middles, and it's ends....Have peaceful dreams Mr. Fox..

Thank you very much for that heart warming post!

I had to do the same thing to a gray squirrel the other day. He evidently got hit by a moving vehicle and couldn't move, he was conscious but just layed there. I put him to sleep and then gave him a proper burial in the woods near an oak tree.
I love animals and don't like to see them suffer.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Same way I bury my cats....that was nice, Lakerider.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Lucky1

Remember Rabies when dealing with sick wild animals.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
donnamatrix

Default Knew you were a cat person!

Sam: Just knew you had to be a cat person!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Grant

Same one you photographed the other day napping?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy Mr. Fox

Quote:
That was a very sweet and fitting way to take care of Mr. Fox.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Pineedles

Sorry to put a stopper in this pity party, but Mr. Fox is responsible for the deaths of many of a friend of mine's chickens. Cute as they may be as kits, they are wild animals and are not good pets or otherwise. Please keep this in mind.

I won't argue with the decision of burying the dead fox, as that was lakesrider's decision. Just please don't glorify this carnivore as anything other than an animal that died.

People sometimes lose sight of what is important in life. A tear or two for a dead animal and the humane treatment of their remains appeal to the heart of most human beings, including myself. However, and I mean a BIG however when you read the names of servicemen and women killed overseas do you shed the same tear?

Sorry for being a jerk, as I am sure some of you will think, for destroying your moment with the dead fox but you really need to look at what is important!

BTW, this is not a criticisism of those that have responded to this post or the original POS.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (09-30-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Default Okay...You're A Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Sorry to put a stopper in this pity party, but Mr. Fox is responsible for the deaths of many of a friend of mine's chickens. Cute as they may be as kits, they are wild animals and are not good pets or otherwise. Please keep this in mind.

I won't argue with the decision of burying the dead fox, as that was lakesrider's decision. Just please don't glorify this carnivore as anything other than an animal that died.

People sometimes lose sight of what is important in life. A tear or two for a dead animal and the humane treatment of their remains appeal to the heart of most human beings, including myself. However, and I mean a BIG however when you read the names of servicemen and women killed overseas do you shed the same tear?

Sorry for being a jerk, as I am sure some of you will think, for destroying your moment with the dead fox but you really need to look at what is important!

BTW, this is not a criticisism of those that have responded to this post or the original POS.
As a matter of fact I do shed a tear when I read the names of service men and women who are killed overseas. But that fox has just as much right to be on this planet as any one of us does, maybe even more so, considering they were here long before us.
dpg (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default I agree with joshua

Fox are good at eliminating problematic rodents such as squirrels which I see no use for. Fox will not get into your house and destroy it like the rodents they prey on will.
As for the chickens it sounds to me like your friends chicken coop design is the problem, my neighbor has chickens and has not had a problem. We have an over abundance of coyotes and other predators in this area with hundreds of acres of conservation land for them to multiply on and not one dead chicken. We actually were hoping something would get into the chicken coop as they kept coming over to our property. A call to the local police took care of the problem.
The 2% factor comes into play, your friend needs to be 2% smarter than whatever is killing his chickens and he will or should prevail!
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (09-30-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (10-01-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
Kamper

Quote:
... Sorry for being a jerk, ...

Just because there are more important issues in the world does not mean lesser matters cannot be reported or discussed. If the only subject discussed was the war or topics of similiar weight there would be no reason for "General Discussion."

Lighten up, Francis.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (09-30-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
chipj29

Quote:

Pineedles, I generally like your posts. But I have to ask...are you seriously equating someone having the decency to bury a dead animal with servicemen/women being killed overseas? Because that is exactly what you are implying here when you say "shed the same tear".
Rattlesnake Gal (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
Pineedles

Hey, I aleady apologized. And I guess I was just spouting a bit. Excuuuuusse me.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Hey, I aleady apologized. And I guess I was just spouting a bit. Excuuuuusse me.
That's OK Pineedles, we all need to "spout" off once in a while.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation Apology? IMO, not so much

Quote:
Hey, I already apologized. And I guess I was just spouting a bit. Excuuuuusse me.
You only stated that you were sorry for being a jerk, not for the inappropriate post.

Pineedles, I have to ask you to please note which Winnipesaukee.com Forum in which you are posting... Winni Wildlife!

When you have this urge to make a post such as this, might I recommend that you write it out and sit on it a while before hitting submit reply. This method might save you a lot of grief and help others to know you as the kind and caring man that you are from your less aggressive contributions here on the Forum.

If you still feel the need to spout on such a topic as this, consider a Winnipesaukee.com Blog. You can rant and rave to your hearts content about anything you want and have complete control over your topic.

I agree with those who posted after you. Fox are a very necessary animal that helps to keep an all important balance in the wild. You don’t like them? That’s your right and your opinion.

Lakesrider has been sharing is amazing fox pictures and experiences with us for a long time and I am glad he shared this Winni Wildlife story with us.
Thank you Lakesrider!

Most recently, a napping fox.

I love our great nation and the heroes that serve and protect it. I cannot understand how you can compare the loss of a wild animal to that of a person’s life. This is really what I found offensive with your post. Why would you want to make him and all of us others who read and maybe contributed to this thread feel bad? How could we not take it as criticism? One day when your beloved dog dies, will you be shedding tears or is he not what is truly important in life because he isn’t human? We cannot spend our lives wringing our hands with worry every second of the day. Appreciating scenery, pets, wildlife and so on is absolutely necessary for our peace of mind and gives us balance.

Lakesrider, I sincerely hope that you and others will continue sharing similar happenings with us in the future.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
dpg (09-30-2010), Drummer Girl (09-30-2010), jkjoshuatree (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
Marauder

Fox are God's creatures also!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
sa meredith

Default Whatever

While I found Pineedles post a bit curious, I must say...
RG...what's with the "Holier than thou" attitude? What makes his post/opinions/thoughts/feelings more appropriate than yours or anyones else's for that matter?
He read the thread, felt a certain way about it, and posted.
It seemed a bit "off" to me, but it was what he felt, and he took the time to explain the feelings. You don't have to agree with it. Are you the "posting police?"
Anyway...let me say this about Pineedles post...I read it, and at first thought, "wow, he must be drinking..", but upon further review...I read the original post in this thread, and as an animal lover, felt awful. Picturing the fox taking it's last few steps and then falling over really tugged at heart strings. If I had seen it, it would probably bring a tear to my eye. And then, after reading Pineedles thoughts, I realized how desensitised I have become to reading stories of service men/women being killed or permanently wounded in battle. Now, it just seems like a news story. Yet I felt emotional about a fox.
So I got his point.
Anyway....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
dpg

Default Great job Lakesrider

I'm not getting involved in the right or wrong debate, I have my own opinions. But great job LR that was nice. We all need to slow down and just "take the time." I can't change the world but I do try in my own little ways. When I buy my buddies dog food at Pet Smart I always give $1.00 to pet charities. O.K. it's not much but imagine if every Pet Smart customer everyday gave just $1.00!! I mean how many people pass through their registers at all their stores in one day? 1,000, 2,000, 3,000? That adds up to a lot of money for charity. And yes, I give the same type of ways at work when we collect for our troops. I'm not rich and can't change the world but if 500,000 people all gave just a "little something" wow!!! Phew, O.K. I'm done.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
WinnDixie

Default Whoa!

Let me be one to say Rattlesnake Gal is NOT "holier than thou". Have not only read many, many of her threads and posts, but had the pleasure of meeting her personally. Does she have beliefs and opinions she strongly holds? Yes, as do many of us here. I am not going to try sort out all the different approaches and opinions to this thread; I post only to stand for her. She's the last one to think her opinions are the only ones...and--by no stretch of the imagination--would she think herself "the posting police"!!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnDixie For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (10-01-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Wow....I just thought I would tell a sad story. Not be equated with Service personnel in the same thread.
So with that in mind, I guess I should tell you that I am a standing member in the Patriot Gaurd Riders.

http://www.patriotguard.org/

I have been to 17 NH servicemen funerals. I take vacation days off from work to go. Those are days I don't get to go to Florida and play at Disney World. How many has everyone else on here been to? I went to one down in Boscawen, where there were maybe 20 people. 10 of them were Patriot Guard members. Where were all the caring people in this Country that day? Anyway..I had never met one of them while they were alive. However I cried at every one of those services. I would never even begin to associate a funeral of any human being to that of a simple animal burial. I also never thought I would have to explain that to anyone. I also get irritated when we hear about the Lindsey Lohan's more than the people serving for this country. (Just like in the thread in the General Discussion Forum.)

I myself like Foxes. I myself feel bad when I have to bury one. So I posted...
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (10-01-2010), Drummer Girl (09-30-2010), jkjoshuatree (09-30-2010), Pepper (10-01-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (10-01-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Wow....I just thought I would tell a sad story. Not be equated with Service personnel in the same thread.
So with that in mind, I guess I should tell you that I am a standing member in the Patriot Gaurd Riders.

http://www.patriotguard.org/

I have been to 17 NH servicemen funerals. I take vacation days off from work to go. Those are days I don't get to go to Florida and play at Disney World. How many has everyone else on here been to? I went to one down in Boscawen, where there were maybe 20 people. 10 of them were Patriot Guard members. Where were all the caring people in this Country that day? Anyway..I had never met one of them while they were alive. However I cried at every one of those services. I would never even begin to associate a funeral of any human being to that of a simple animal burial. I also never thought I would have to explain that to anyone. I also get irritated when we hear about the Lindsey Lohan's more than the people serving for this country. (Just like in the thread in the General Discussion Forum.)

I myself like Foxes. I myself feel bad when I have to bury one. So I posted...
Kudos to you Lakesrider for being part of the Patriot Guard!! They are a great organization with a great cause!

My hats off to you!

Respectfully;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Gawd, who woulda' thunk this thread would go so wild?? I never would have believed it would go this way. I hate when everything gets picked apart. Just take it for what it is and let it go. My 2cents.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
WinnDixie

Default I add my thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Kudos to you Lakesrider for being part of the Patriot Guard!! They are a great organization with a great cause!

My hats off to you!

Respectfully;

Dan
Thanks for your Patriot Guard service! My dtr. and family saw all of you at a heartbreaking funeral in Plymouth in 2006 for an Army Captain they had mentored at West Point. They were so comforted by your presence. Thank you!
Also, you don't need to explain--not to me anyway!--the difference between your feelings about military service funerals and simple burials of an animal. I extend to you my respect...in both areas.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnDixie For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (10-07-2010)