Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Rough weekend?

Just found this story:
Quote:
LACONIA, N.H.(AP) _ Choppy waves are blamed for two boating injuries on Lake Winnipesaukee.
Twenty-eight-year-old Lisa Hamed of Upton (Massachusetts) bruised her ribs after the boat she was riding in hit waves, throwing her into the air and down onto the gunwale.
Eighteen-year-old Laura Keeler from Wellesley (Massachusetts) broke her arm after being launched into the air when the tube she was riding on hit rough waves.
Marine Patrol says Keeler landed on her arm before falling into the water. She was treated and released at Lakes Region General Hospital.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
HomeWood

Ouch! I am actually from Wellesley, born and raised. I looked at some web cams earlier and it looks very choppy.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
66WINN

Default Very Rough

I just got back from the lake. Went from Merideth to Wolfboro (and back). One of the roughest days I have seen. Waves were between 4-6 feet crest to trough out in the broads. If I didn't keep the bow up, the waves would come over and into the boat.

Sorry to hear about those injuries but I could see how it could happen.

It was also the first time I ever saw a cabin cruiser come out of the water on waves.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Who made the lake angry today

Not to surprised that there where some injuries....The lake was awful mad today. I went out today and took a quick spin around Sandy up through Hole in the wall and out towards Chase Island (was going to go up Moultonborough Bay....I didn't)..... What started as a rough but ok ride quickly got ugly.... and rough.... I am usually not flustered or nervous on a boat.... but I wasn't even on the Broads and it was wicked.... so I tucked my tail turned back and hurried for home....(north side of Long Island).....Mother Nature seems to want to remind us who is in control this year....All the rain....and now all this wind......

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 08-13-2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: made insted of maid......
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Silver Duck

Rough is an understatement; 66WINN is dead on concerning the 4 to 6 fr. waves!

I ran a diagonal course from Melody Island down past Diamond Island at about 1500 RPM (maybe 8 mph) during the early afternoon, and the boat was bucking like a bronco and throwing spray clear over the radar arch! I'd have liked to have run a bit slower, but, I needed that much power to maintain decent control!

66WINN, was the cruiser that you saw come out of the water a burgundy-colored 30 footer? If so, that was me!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Sunday big blow

Wow am I glad I replaced my sailboat motor this year. On Sunday, late morning, the wind came up from 8-14 to a constant over 20 with gusts to 25. Once the wind was above 20 my sails came down and I implimented plan "B" - motor home.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:48 AM   #7
JeffreyJoyal242

Default please enjoy

I live at the Hard Head , between Roberts Cove and Chestnut Cove. On Saturday we had a memorial service for my dad, on the front deck, at 91 it was his favorite place. Trust me his ashes took flight !. The funny was after our 50 plus years at the lake we loved it when the big blows came and got the lake up. It made you repect and know the power of what weall love. We do not have "girleman' breakwaters , built to some arbitry rule. The three total 300ft , 7ft out of high water,30 wide.Many times my dad and I
me watched them overtoped by alot. Oh by the way , the lake got a rest,saw12 boats all day, one was the MOUNT! Trust me it gets much steeper than any rookie can believe . And this was nothing.
JeffreyJoyal242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Orion

Question Question for meteorologists

If the major blows like we had this weekend are the result of movement of air from high to low pressure areas, why does it die down so significantly at night (i.e. Sat night per Varney Point historic data)? I know the gusting is partially due to irregular solar heating, but the high and low pressure areas are still there and theoretically the air should still be seeking the low. Just curious.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
carguy

Default Rough Water

I can remember as a teenager growing up in Lake Shore Park a weather condition on the Lake, that we referred to as a "Three Day Blow". The wind would blow for three days, even during nightime hours. This condition ususally occured in August along with lower than normal air temperatures. We wouldn't be able to comfortably use our boats or waterski during the blow due to the wave height and wind. The blowboaters liked the conditons, but at times the wind was too strong for them to even enjoy sailing.

My worst rough water experience on the Lake occured on one windy day in October in the early 1990's. My brother and I were riding in our 21' Century Coronado powerboat on a course from Alton Bay to Wolfeboro. We were constantly bucking 5-6 footers on the eastern end of the Lake and we were on a beeline course to get into Wolfeboro, so we could get out of the weather, and get a bite to eat. On the way to Wolfeboro at the Eastern end of Rattlesnake Island, we hit a rogue wave coming out of the Northwest, that must have been an eight footer, at the minimum. The wave lifted our 21' Coronado right out of the water, the Tachometer raced towards redline, for the prop was completely out of the water. This was one of the few times that I ever got scared on the Lake. After reaching Wolfeboro, we waited a couple of hours hoping that the windy conditions would subside. Upon leaving Wolfeboro to return to our homeport at Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford we passed the point that guards the western entrance to Wolfeboro Bay, and we got slammed by rough water again, and it got worse out towards the eastern end of Parker Island where we were costantly bucking five and six foot waves. We were concerned whether to abort the return trip and return to Wolfeboro, or to continue towards our homeport in Gilford. Luckily for us the "Mount" had just left Wolfeboro on her return trip to the Weirs on a foliage leaf peeping excursion.

I was at the helm and I powered the boat right up close to the fantail of the "Mount" (closer than the legal 150'), and used the "Mount" to clear a path for us on the return trip to Glendale. When our position was off of Glendale we cleared the "Mount's" wake and took many broadside hits from large waves and shot into Glendale and then Smith's Cove. We were lucky to have made it back without any mishaps.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360

Last edited by carguy; 08-15-2006 at 07:17 PM.
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
Pepper

"Three-day-blow" is a term very familiar to our family as well! Our original roots began at LSP, so perhaps that accounts for the common term?

Regardless, over the years we've seen the reality of those three-day-blows, and remain ever mindful of the rough conditions they produce!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Waterbaby

Default Spirits are Talking!

Perhaps the Spirits are reminding us that Winni is a large Lake, not to be taken lightly? Maybe the Spirits are angry at the disrepect being shown the Lake? I'm not totally jesting here, I know a lot of people have a lot of respect for the Lake, as do I after many years on her, but there are certainly a lot of people who I don't think show Winni the respect she deserves, but that's a whole other topic (which has been well covered in different threads on the Winni Forum!) Just be careful out there, stay safe, and drive defensively!
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
Rinkerfam

Does anyone have any photos to post from Sunday? I was out on Sat. and it was rough, but it sounds like Sun. was much worse. I've been out on some pretty intense days, so I'd love to see what I missed.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
carguy

Default Roughest Day on Lake Winnipesaukee

I remember when Hurricane Carol hit the Lake on August 31, 1954. I was 11 years old and was spending the Summer at Lake Shore Park. The waves generated by Carol were so big, that I can remember boats moored 100' off shore in 12 feet of water hitting rocks on the lake bottom in the big wave trouths.

The hurricane tracked right by Lake Winnipesaukee. After the storm passed and the sun came out there was a big pile of wooden wreckage in the middle of the "Broads". This was the remains of the approximately 75' high wooden tower that the Navy was using for experiments on the Ames Farm side of Diamond Island.

This was the roughest that I ever saw the Lake.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #14
John A. Birdsall

Default surf

about 1962 we were over in the area of sleepers island when a storm came up. My brother and I were in an 11' boat with an 18 hp motor, my dad was in a 16' lyman with a 50 hp motor and had to get back to echo point. We were given the instructions to stay within sight, Well that did not work, My Dad signaled for us to go, and we went, I have never in my life seen the lake that rough. We made it back, our boat stopped in the driveway. Nlrmally about ten feet beyond the edge of High water mark. How my dad got my grandfathers boat into the boat house I will never understand. but we were all safe. and no damage. Just a big headache getting the Puddy-tat back into the water.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:25 AM   #15
Gavia immer

Saturday is the 15th anniversary of "Hurricane Bob".

I wasn't here for it, but my neighbor sure remembers it. A giant hemlock blew over - and through - his roof!

High water a few years earlier had undercut the hemlock's root system. Many tall, straight, trees around the lake still lean from that storm's effects.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #16
gtxrider

Default Oh how it did blow!

It started Thursday evening and blew thru Sunday. It seemed more like September weather. I tried to go out Friday morning on the GTX and got as far a Little Mark Island and turned back home. Monday morning I went for a last ride before heading home and it was beautiful.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #17
carguy

Default Three Day Blow

GTXRIDER:

Yes, it was a good old fashioned "Three Day Blow" as I remember as a kid summering at Lake Shore Park. The cooler temperatures and late September-like weather prevented us teens from enjoying our waterfront activities and boating. We usually resorted to "interior activities" like hiking and camping in the Belknap range where it was warmer with a lot less wind.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #18
gtxrider

Default Pictures of the blow

Here are some shots from Thursday evening when it started!

Back in the 60's my sister, brother and I tried a trip to Wolfeboro in a 15' aluminum boat in a blow. We got there but on the way home my younger brother got scared and we found a young girl on the shore who let us use the phone. We called home and my fatehr came over by car and got us. We had to go back with the trailer that evening and bring the boat back via the over land route.

Last edited by gtxrider; 02-20-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #19
carguy

Default Location of Rough Water Photos

GTXRIDER:

Where were the rough water photos taken? Alton Bay?

Below is a photo of my 42' 1952 Chris Craft that I had on the Lake from 1994-1998. This boat would even get tossed around on a windy day on the "Broads". I kept it at Fay's Boat Yard. The photo below was taken in Wolfeboro circa 1995.

Not having been on a boat in the Lake since 1998, my memory fades me on the location of your photos. One of the photos with the rock formation on the hill, looks like it could be near RTE 11 in the MT Major area??
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
gtxrider

Default Answer?

The pictures are off of Sandy Point looking up the bay.

Our boat did not make it to the water this summer. For the first time in 41 years I did not water ski. The streak ends!

Last edited by gtxrider; 08-18-2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #21
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
The pictures are off of Sandy Point looking up the bay.

Our boat did not make it to the water this summer. For the first time in 41 years I did not water ski. The streak ends!
It's not too late
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #22
Coolbreeze

I remember many three day blows hitting the shore on the western side of Barndoor where my family has a place. My Dad thought it was a good time to see if Boston Whalers were really unsinkable. I remember the sound of the outboard cavitating as the Bow dipped under the oncoming wave. We all had life jackets on even Dad. it tought us as Kids how to maneuver a boat in wind and swells. I also remember taking out a Hobie 18 in a three day blow...the fastest sailboat I have ever been on...hanging in the trapese and all.../ All good memories. The rule in our family is to watch the weather and don't wait to move the boat.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #23
gtxrider

Default Not much sking here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
It's not too late
Cal,

We don't have much skiable water in Piscataway. at&t needs me to work!