Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Dave M

Default Shrinkwrap - snow

Last year was the 1st year I had shrink wrap. I cleaned it off with a broom and a roof scraper. Needless to say I was a little nervous of poking a hole
in the shrink wrap. Is there anything better for this purpose.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
persistence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Last year was the 1st year I had shrink wrap. I cleaned it off with a broom and a roof scraper. Needless to say I was a little nervous of poking a hole

Dave M

Usually the sun hits mine enough to slide the heavy stuff off. Im a little extra cautious because they way I get wrapped. It gets taped to my rub rail instead of tied underneath. But over the last 5 years I haven’t had a problem thru nor’easters l, etc. Try bouncing a tennis ball off it. Careful it downer get stuck . Or tapping areas so the heavy stuff up top will slide down. Pick up a roll of shrink wrap tape. If you see any holes or thin spots put some tape over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Phantom

for the most part -- Shrink wrap is NOT fragile !!

Typically a tap with a stick (or as you say a broom) will cause an avalanche clearing that section

or simply do not touch it at all -- think of how many boats sit out all winter in the numerous Marina's around the Lake
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Don't touch

If you hire somebody to build the frame and do the shrink wrap, you probably don't need to touch it. If you build the frame and it doesn't have enough pitch, then you might want to take a push broom to it after a heavy storm. As noted above, marinas don't brush off SW boats. They do have a steep frame. Thirty +/- years of shrink wrap. Never a problem.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

Dave M
The only thing better than shrink wrap is a garage. The only thing better than a garage, is a HEATED garage!!! If you have a good strong frame, shrink wrap serves it's purpose just fine. No worries.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As all others have said, shrink wrap is very durable...
The biggest mistake people and marina's make is not creating a steep enough pitch... if the pitch is good the snow should really not sit to much on the cover... especially after a day or two of sun it should all slide off...

My boat has been wrapped every winter for many years... Other then taking a drive by after every storm to make sure branches or limbs have not poked holes in the Shrink wrap, my marina doesn't touch them....
Old 11-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Phantom

LOCATION, location, location ………….

As LIforrelaxin points out, and I learnt painfully once many years back …….. I suspect you are probably storing this in your yard -- if so, "LQQK UP" before settling on a spot in your yard to leave it for the winter.

Many years back, we got hit with a very wet/heavy storm and a fairly good sized limb from a pine tree let go from above. Although no damage to the boat - the frame completely broke and the shrink was punctured. In the middle of the winter there was little to be done other than removing the debris & covering the boat with a tarp. In the spring, the mold & mildew was quite a cleaning chore!

and thus why I now pay a little more & have the Marina store mine in the racks for Winter ! In addition to the fact that it is flushed, washed and ready to go in the Spring when I call for it. ( Yes, I know I am paying for it - but to me, WELL worth it)

persistence (11-15-2018)