Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Side-scan of Paugus barge

Hi All,

Was diving Paugus recently (46 degree water for those who care) and while cruising south into the bay and eating lunch I decided to run side-scan; Has to be done about 3 mph-went along the western shore running left/right simultaneous scans to about 150' feet each way-total swath, 300 feet wide-where I know there are some marked wrecks of no particular interest to me based on what I knew of them (they are "on the chart");

Came across this barge; Had my buddy drop down and look around-he said it really was nothing to write home about but it's still history to me. He simply rendered a valid opinion.

Neat angles, timbers etc.. 33 feet deep at target.

Off the cuff I would guess it's perhaps 40-50 feet long as these timbers in my experience are 3 feet on-center-count them and do the math;

Nice shadows off the ends. If anyone wants the Lat/Lon of this barge let me know I will produce them so you can anchor directly overhead. I say this because the Lat/Lon in the image(s) in the lower right corner is not the Lat/Lon of the target it's the position of the GPS on the boat;

Even when you see my cross-hairs (in one of these images) over a TOI/Target-Of-Interest, that still does not represent the Lat/Lon of the target; The cross-hair Lat/Lon data is stored elsewhere in my SSS unit. It allows me to get a Lat/Lon lock on the target where the cross-hairs are but it does not appear on the screen image.

The last image (I hope they post in the order I sent them to the web) is what happens when a side-scan-sonar beam is more-or-less directly over a target-it simply splits the target in two; As I was only scanning in one direction (right), it only split it in half, to the right.

More to come-maybe videos too, if after reviewing them they are worth posting-such as the 95 foot Gov. Endicott. I never knew she had 2 props-which I would estimate at least 4 feet in diameter. Rudder was huge.

And she looks like she was blown up.

D1111
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Grant (05-03-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (05-02-2010), Senter Cove Guy (05-02-2010), SIKSUKR (05-03-2010), Tallyho (05-02-2010), Wolfeboro Matt (05-02-2010)