Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Wounded-Disabled vets and diving

My regular dives buds on Winni will see this but I wanted to cast a wider net and reach out to other divers and even non-divers on Winni with this question: the latest issue of Dive Alert magazine (for those who don't know it's perhaps the best known non-commercial dive publication in North America published by Divers Alert Network/DAN) has a great article on how disabled war vets primarily from service in the Middle East of course are recovering by learning how to dive.

Their recovery involves both physical and mental recovery through diving, probably spiritual as well for some. They suffer from some terrible wounds many many times involving amputation. Need I say more?

Diving offers them relief from pain in many cases because they are weightless underwater thus offering a break from weight/gravity-related pain. The freedom and thrill of being at depth is very hard to describe unless you've been where we go all the time. They respond well giving them back a sense of freedom and mobility among other things.

As I read the article (not my first) I couldn't help but think...what can I/we do as divers for them? Maybe nothing, I just don't know but I'm asking for some feedback.

Winni is a fantastic place to dive and I for one would offer to help them dive the Big Lake if I knew how to approach it. Getting in and out of boats is one challenge when say, you have endured amputation.

Perhaps shore diving from someone's property. Perhaps figuring out how others take disabled vets boat diving. Perhaps pool dives. Some use diver propulsion vehicles, and I have one I can bring to the table. The answers are there I just don't know where yet but I'm researching it and I will find them in due time.

Anybody have some input here? I'm dead serious about this so any help would be appreciated.

I don't think D.A.N. would mind if I scanned their article and posted it so that may be next if anyone wants to read it.

Thanks.
Diver1111
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-21-2012), Just Sold (08-21-2012), SharkBaitDiving (08-21-2012), Tallyho (08-21-2012), Winnisquamguy (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Wounded Warriors

Your first step might be to contact the "Wounded Warriors Program". http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ I'm sure they could give you some excellent input.

I commend you for your thoughts and efforts!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
SharkBaitDiving

I fully agree with Diver 111. I have a close friend coming out (female 50's) who has MS and it is progressing. She just feels so much better underwater, weightless, and the depth & pressure really helps her. She can walk but uses a cane or crutches and has a mobile wheelchair to get around. She will be diving with me Weds. - Saturday this week. She will have to get on my boat via the stern and transom door but I agree with diver 111 that the Lake is ideal for this! I've been a DAN member for over 25+ years and this is truly a great article about the program. Diver 111 let me know if you need any help or more info. I would donate my charter for a day or weekend to help promote this as well!
Thanks,
Jim
SharkBaitDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
bt99

You may want to talk to the folks at UNH's Northeast Passage. Seems like something that would be right in line with the work they do.
bt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Not just Vets

As this thing takes shape it occurred to me I should make it clear this is not limited to wounded Vets-it is open to anyone with a disability who thinks it's something they'd like to try.

It may take some time and I don't know where it will go if anywhere but I'm on it and have received some private messages with great suggestions-thanks all for the input, keep it coming.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
scubajay1153

Contact Mike Hamel at Central NH Divers in Meredith (279-9099). He recently went to a seminar put on by DiveHeart and learned to be a handicapped scuba instructor. Exact details he could share with you. He may be able to help with his knowledge and contacts as he is also the President of United DIvers of NH.

Jay Ellingson, DM
Central NH Divers
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scubajay1153 For This Useful Post:
SharkBaitDiving (08-27-2012)