Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Boater

Default Mold/Mildew on Bathroom Ceiling

The bathroom of my cottage has a mold/mildew problem on the ceiling. I've cleaned it up several times in the last few years but it keeps coming back.

This season I'm going to install an exhaust fan and paint the ceiling.

Questions: Can I just clean up the ceiling again and paint it over? Will the mold find its way through again? Is there a special paint or technique I should use?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has dealt with this kind of problem.

Thanks.
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:44 AM   #2
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater
The bathroom of my cottage has a mold/mildew problem on the ceiling. I've cleaned it up several times in the last few years but it keeps coming back.

This season I'm going to install an exhaust fan and paint the ceiling.

Questions: Can I just clean up the ceiling again and paint it over? Will the mold find its way through again? Is there a special paint or technique I should use?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has dealt with this kind of problem.

Thanks.
Boater,
I have had this problem. The fan vented to the outside is a must. I would suggest you then prime the area with "KILZ", an excellent product that will keep the mildew from bleeding through again. Then use a standard ceiling paint with a mildew preventer mixed in. Benjamin Moore makes this product or your local paint store can mix it in for you for about $5 extra. It's well worth it.
Good Luck!

Blue Thunder
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:21 AM   #3
madrasahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater
The bathroom of my cottage has a mold/mildew problem on the ceiling... it keeps coming back.
Mildew in the bathroom is very difficult to get rid of from painted surfaces.

I'd make sure there isn't a roof leak over the bathroom ceiling first. (You didn't state if mildew occurs on the walls, too -- and whether they're painted also).

"Kilz" (and "Kilz II") is OK if the mildew isn't severe, but painted surfaces -- even "Kilz" -- seem to support mildew growth better than most surfaces. (In my other houses). A powered vent in the ceiling is a good start, but it should also vent naturally into a vented attic area 24/7 (no restrictive flapper-valve). Warmth and moisture is mildew habitat.

My bathroom's wood paneling gets mildew, but the perforated ceiling tiles look great after 50 years! Go figure.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
kchace

Using Kilz is a good way to seal the surface before you repaint (and its pretty easy, too) However, before you do that, you should wipe down the ceiling with a mixture of bleach and water to kill the existing mold/mildew. (a rate of one cup per gallon water is good for this) Just make sure the ceiling has thoroughly dried before you try to put on a coat of Kilz or paint.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Boater

Default Thanks!

...for all the good advice. The mildew preventer sounds like the key after cleaning it up good with bleach and water and priming with Kilz. The exhaust fan should help prevent the problem in the future.
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Zee

Thumbs up Mold & Mildew

Using Killz is an excellent idea as well as the bleach treatment. However, you may want to use a higher gloss ceiling paint. Ceiling paint is usually flat and cannot be cleaned easily. The higher gloss gives the ceiling a cleaner and brighter look as well as being easy to wipe with a damp sponge. I love the look in my bath.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
kchace

Good point Zee, I should have mentioned it. A semi-gloss paint has a much less porous texture than a flat paint and so will tend to keep moisture from penetrating.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:35 AM   #8
Summertm

Default Mold + Mildew

Mold and Mildew can not be treated with bleach and water alone. The Mold and Mildew needs to be killed. Using bleach and water will only clean what you can see. Use a mold and Mildew remover. Tylex or Lysol mold and Mildew remover both work great. This will kill the problem and stop the mold from coming back. good luck!
Summertm is offline   Reply With Quote