Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
rider

Default Ice sailing

I really want to get into ice boating. I looked in the classified but saw nothing. Does anybody know of anything being sold?
rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Craigslist Detroit Michigan has a recent listing of a real nice looking DN wood & aluminum ice boat for $2250 w/ photos.

....definately worth the drive......go for it! ...if you leave now, you could could be Winni ice-boating on Sunday...... !

Also in craigslist detroit boats for sale, you will find an outboard style motor mounted on about a 12' rowboat and the outboard is designed to engage the ice....i.e. it has a mechanism which engages the ice somehat simlar to a standard propeller engaging water....what will someone think of next?

Google "ice fishing boat antique rare newbaltimore" to see photos of this crazy outboard.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
NoBozo

Default New England Ice Yact Assosiation

Try this site ..look under Un-Classifieds. And it's local. NB

http://www.neiya.us/
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
NoBozo

Default Ice Boating This weekend 2/6/10

Anyone wanting to see Ice Boats up close...Lake Winnipesaukee: Nice black ice all over: Launch places at Ames Farm, Levitt's Beach Merrideth, and Ellacoya State Park, Gilford. Stop by and have a look. A few have been sailing out of Ames Farm for the past three days. NB
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
rider

Default poop, I'm in RI this weekend

I'll be up there next weekend, hopefully with the snow to ride the sleds again, if not, I'm going to be checking out the ice boats.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
NoBozo

There is good ice for ice boating everywhere. (Except South Watuppa Pond, Fall River Ma.) If you are in RI....go over to Long Pond, Lakeville, Mass. SE corner of the lake at the State Launch Ramp. It's just north of New Bedford off Rt-140. I was there last weekend. It was great. I'm retired from ice boating after 40 years but I keep track...and visit the sites where something is happening.

Time is running out. Having ICE everywhere this time of year ....Black Ice..NO SNOW, is Very RARE. If you are SERIOUS ..and want to SEE ice boats and TALK to ice boaters you need to get off the stick...just sayin. NB
Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
NoBozo

Default Btw

I mentioned Ames Farms. Back in the day...and one of the guys from back then is currently sailing out of Ames Farms. Many ice boaters are retired, or close to it... or own their own business and can "take off" for days at a time. ....As long as the ice is good..they will STAY...weekends or weekdays or whatever. Ice boating is a very weather and ICE dependant sport and you have to take advantage of every minute of good ice. NB
Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Island Girl

Default Sailing at Ames Farm in February

Just rode by there today...

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
ApS

Smile Some Background...

The iceboat design with the DN on the sail originated from a Detroit News design contest in 1937. The DN design is termed a "front-steerer", which developed among other, less-terrifying, U.S. designs of the 1930's. ("Rear-steerers" were a hoot to control). Today, DNs are very popular and sailed world-wide.

A DN top speed is rumored at 150-MPH. (200-KPH is a long-sought record among iceboats—162-MPH).

Perhaps because of the too-rare opportunities for iceboating on Lake Winnipesaukee (and other large lakes) there seems to be a dearth of iceboat photos among the Forum's Photoposts.

The other iceboat that IG has captured has a windsurfer-style sail. That sail was developed among World-Olympics' sailboat racing designs, and known as the "bendy-rig" for its efficiency and tuning capabilities. DN's rig has long-time experience going for it, but my money's on the other.

Cool photo—and more—here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...d.php?p=115031

BTW: On the horizon appears the eastern half of the Ossipee Range of mountains—with the Mt. Shaw prominence to the left.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
rider

Default If anybody is getting out of the sport.....

or knows someone that is and wants to do something for a poor college student, I would love to get into ice boating. If someone has either a real beat boat in need of repairs or knows of a boat, that would be great. I would love to get involved but can't financially afford it. Cheap is good, free is better.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
ApS

Wink When it Snows, Iceboating Pretty Much Stops...

Just as soon as it snows, there may be a few available.

In the meantime, Castle in the Clouds restaurant has a life-sized photo from a century ago. It shows some rich folks doing some REAL "Ice-Sailing" (rather than "Iceboating").

The sepia-tint poster shows two "Ice-Sailors", each on regular ice skates and manually supporting a broomstick "mast". The mast carries a tall and narrow triangular sail, measuring about 8-feet tall and less than 18" long at the base. Back then there was only cotton available as sailcloth, so just one cotton bedsheet—properly hemmed and heavily starched—could provide sails for three or four poor college students. It actually looks like some long-forgotten fun!

The folks with watercooled snowmobiles could try this alternative (or iceboating) on those black-ice/snow-free Winnipesaukee weekends.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
fatlazyless

...saw what looked like two DN style, old wood, ice sailboats yesterday afternoon zip past Governor's Island.....a very rare sighting....much rarer than seeing a bald eagle....and the ice boats were really zooming on some pretty light winds....maybe going 30-40mph on 10 mph winds....how's that happen?....cannot recall ever seeing ice boats here b4!....heard before being seen.....the runners make a foreign noise...
Old 02-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
ApS

Talking Courtesy: Castle in the Clouds Restaurant Lobby

No snow on the ice—with a weekend coming up?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
Island Girl

Default A lone sailor

Lots of sailboats at Ames Farm today, including those old wooden one. They were being put away when I was there. Here is a sailor enjoying the glare ice lake on a windy day.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
...saw what looked like two DN style, old wood, ice sailboats yesterday afternoon zip past Governor's Island.....a very rare sighting....much rarer than seeing a bald eagle....and the ice boats were really zooming on some pretty light winds....maybe going 30-40mph on 10 mph winds....how's that happen?....cannot recall ever seeing ice boats here b4!....heard before being seen.....the runners make a foreign noise...
Ice boats can routinely sail 2-3 times the speed of the wind..and more under good conditions. It's kind of like taking a watermellon seed between your thumb and forefinger and squeezing ever so slightly. The seed goes flying. NB
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
DBA

Default A Couple of Larger Ones

These two stopped on the ice to chat this past weekend.
DBA
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #17
Diana

Default You Tube

There are a couple of amazing ice boat and ice board videos on YouTube that were just put up in the last week. I can't figure how to do the link, but if you search Lake Winnipesaukee and ice boating on YouTube you will come to them.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Laconia Citizen article

See: http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...912/-1/CITIZEN
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
ApS

Question Skatesailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
There are a couple of amazing ice boat and ice board videos on YouTube that were just put up in the last week. I can't figure how to do the link, but if you search Lake Winnipesaukee and ice boating on YouTube you will come to them.
These?

Home-built iceboat for three:

"Tyvek" class skate-sailor:

...Plus, just when you thought you'd seen every kind of winter sport...
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
Ellen Heald

Default ice boat rides?

My son is turning 13 this weekend and wants to ride on an ice boat..we saw a bunch at Ames Farm Inn a couple weeks ago...would anyone know someone I could pay to take him for a ride on their ice boat? Please email me at ellenheald@comcast.net

Thank you
Ellen Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Heald View Post
My son is turning 13 this weekend and wants to ride on an ice boat..we saw a bunch at Ames Farm Inn a couple weeks ago...would anyone know someone I could pay to take him for a ride on their ice boat? Please email me at ellenheald@comcast.net

Thank you
I fear that without a good cold snap the ice boats season is in trouble also. But if gets real cold without more snow it could be about as sweet as it gets.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #22
ApS

Red face ...more stumbling...

'Just stumbled into a cache of professional photos of iceboating.

One example:

Site:

http://gretchendorian.com/