Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
carole

Default snowmobilers damage

I am a bit disappointed in those snowmobilers who show little regard for the summits they ride up to. I am referring to Mt. Straightback and Mt. Major specifically. In the past I have seen tracks riding all over the vegetation on both summits and with the nice new snow I am seeing this pattern repeated. Last weekend (Sunday) someone rode all over the blueberry fields on Mt. Straightback and just today a snowmobiler left dozens of bloody tissue pieces just before the summit of Major. There were no hiker tracks. This was done by a snowmobiler. Is this really needed? It spoils it for others.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy That Stinks!

This is very unfortunate and frustrating.
There are always a few that act inappropriately, leaving others to deal with their inconsiderate behavior.
Thankfully most people do not act this way!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Unfortunately, the actions of a few have dramatic consequences for other snowmobilers. See this thread, in particular "Pepper's" posting in this thread:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1607

While Mother Nature has a way of bringing back damaged plants in spite of us (us used loosely), man-made items have to be replaced at a cost to the land owner, and that causes access to be denied to all snowmobilers, including the conscientious snowmobilers.

Trails are generally well marked, and instances such as Straightback and the Weirs access make you wonder "What part of stay on the trail don't you understand?????????".
Old 03-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Thumbs down

As someone who views Straightback from my deck and as one who hikes Straightback regularly, this is very upsetting to me. Both Straightback and Mt. Major are NOT owned by the state but are private property. Also access to Strightback from my neck of the woods is private property. Can't say as I'd blame them for cutting off this access. As usual, the actions of a few (who never stop to think how their actions might affect others) have a profound affect on others. But, does this surprise anyone? All you have to do is go out driving in your car to see people in their own world with no regard as to how their actions might adversely affect others.

Last edited by mcdude; 03-05-2005 at 08:28 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

This from a very generous land-owner. We THANK you!!

"This is very interesting. Hopefully there is enough snow to protect the blueberry plants.

When we opened our property to recreational use through the state, we made it very clear that if there was any disrespect to the land we could close our property to everyone. Mt. Major did a fantastic job in making this known. We have had NO problems in 5 years. The club gave us signs that say Stay on Trail, Caution, hikers, snowshoers, skiers could be on trail. When we are hiking with the dogs off leash and hear a snowmobile coming, we make every effort to get off trail. Maybe twice a snowmobiler did not slow down at first glimpse of us. Most will stop and visit. Most belong to a club, some more than one, so they are aware of the state rules.

The big advantage is the trails are groomed, dead trees and branches removed, trail work is done off season. There are always a group that ride the trails with chain saws to make sure they are safe. This is a big bonus to those who hike and snowshoe. Skiing could still be a danger if one is not expert enough to get off the trail quickly, especially when going around curves where a snowmobiler can't see them.

I hope the people disrespecting the trail on Straightback are from away and don't come back.

If someone sees a snowmobiler off trail or doing anything disrespectful, they can take the registration number and report it to the state. But I caution everyone, the Blueberry trail has been flagged and posted, about 18 months ago, by the owner of 1500 acres that extend to Mt. Major against EVERYTHING other than foot hikers. The owner lives in PA and doesn't come up here. There was a sign on each side of the Blueberry trail at the beginning of his property. One sign has disappeared, the other is almost impossible to see unless you know where to look for it. Reporting a snowmobiler could lead to problems such as the owner enforcing his wishes.

Our property is also posted against ATV's during snow and mud season. The Boy Scout camp is posted against them all year and gates the entrances to their property. They pay no attention and make a trail around the gates. This is a very big problem and another story.

I was going to post this message for all, but my computer says there is no way I can log in. You have my permission to post it if you think it's of interest."

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
upthesaukee

I have emailed this thread to Mt Major Snowmobile Club. I'm sure they will not be happy to hear of the abuses of the property and may be able to put up more signs and reinforce the need to stay on the trails up there. And as one who will snowshoe on those trails around the Alton area, I say "Thank You" to the landowners first and foremost, because without their cooperation, there would be no trails, and secondly to the snowmobile clubs, in this case Mt Major, for the fine job of maintaining the trails and providing signs.

Now about those $%%%##%$ %^$%$#&s that are trying to ruin it for everyone....
Old 03-05-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
I have emailed this thread to Mt Major Snowmobile Club.
Sorry Up, your email was returned as undeliverable (since you sent it through the forum the failed email was returned to me). This was the message:

" ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
info@mtmajorsnowmobileclub.com
(reason: 550 Host unknown)"
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
carole

[QUOTE=upthesaukee] And as one who will snowshoe on those trails around the Alton area, I say "Thank You" to the landowners first and foremost, because without their cooperation, there would be no trails, and secondly to the snowmobile clubs, in this case Mt Major, for the fine job of maintaining the trails and providing signs.[QUOTE]

I would be interested in what trails on Major or Straigthback that they maintain and what signs you refer to. I have only seen a couple diamonds with trail letters ("E") in them and a couple repaired bridges (that someone tried hard to destroy).
Old 03-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Carole....I'm getting the feeling from the tone of your posts that you are anti-snowmobile.I've never seen a snowmobiler try to deliberatly destroy a bridge.I personally,think that you've got an agenda.Next you'll tell us that they're murdering the wildlife.....dumping gas and oil on the endangered vegetation
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
carole

Default Agenda??

Whoa, SAMIAM!!

Where in my post did I say a snowmobiler tried to destroy a bridge?? I saw two bridges being torn up this summer/fall (never did I suggest by a snowmobiler), and I assumed the snowmobile club was the ones responsible for the repair done. I was appreciative. I asked about signs directing snowmobiles in this area because I have seen little, and have seen none saying stay on trails. When snowmobiles go down the trails that dead-end for them they need to get their machine turned around (not always easy). And when they get to summits they shouldn’t need to ride all over the place. What makes this anti-snowmobile??
Old 03-06-2005, 10:32 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Webmaster...thanks for letting me know the post did not go through. I will email my neighbor, the club secretary, directly.

Carole, I have not been up on Straightback, but am talking in general terms about the Clubs. They are the ones who provide signs to landowners. there are areas that I have hiked where the signs were quite specific about staying on the trail, and the trail marked, normally with poles. evidently this is not the case on top of Straightback, and if not, then perhaps communication should be done with the club(s) to mark off these sensitive areas. When my dad was alive and he had snowmobiles, it was a real kick to ride over fresh snow, much the same as for a skier skiing in fresh powder, and yes, for a snowshoer to be the first to leave tracks. However, I do not agree with making those tracks in environmentally sensitive areas, and if they are not adequately marked up there, then perhaps they should be.

thanks for your concern, and if you have an issue with snowmobiling practices, I heartily suggest you email the local club. Mt Major club has been in existence for about 25 years, and they are extremely interested in maintaining good relationships with land owners, and protecting access.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
GWC...

Default A joy ride up Mount Major...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Both Straightback and Mt. Major are NOT owned by the state but are private property. ...Can't say as I'd blame them for cutting off this access. As usual, the actions of a few (who never stop to think how their actions might affect others) have a profound affect on others. But, does this surprise anyone? All you have to do is go out driving in your car to see people in their own world with no regard as to how their actions might adversely affect others.

Interesting choice of wordage by the press: joy ride up Mount Major...

Wonder why the rider's name was not mentioned?

Does abandoned property on private property become the property of the landowner?

Does the landowner have salvage rights?
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #13
WeirsBeachBoater

Default There are legitimate trails on Mt Major

So easy on the snowmobiler hating.....
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #14
GWC...

Default If the shoe fits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
So easy on the snowmobiler hating.....
Been to the summit of Mount Major numerous times via snowmobile and never had to hike down.

In fact, been all over the Lake and “surrounding hills” and never had to hike home.

And I’m just the average snowmobiler…

Say, DRH, did you have to hike home from Pine Island, today?

Didn't think so.

See, we're the norm...

So, what does that make the Mount Major joy rider?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #15
shania

Default snowmobile damage

As a snowmobiler myself we have to remember that taking a joyride up MT.Major might have been a responsible person,weather conditions can play a major part in getting stuck and or disorientated.Yes there are some ya hoos out there but I have to say there are alot of snow drifts and white out conditions this past weekend.Why can't we be glad that he made it down safely and no rescue workers had to be called out.
shania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #16
GWC...

Question "Snowmobiler crawls from woods after crash" Why, why, why...

Why, why, why do some just have to solo?

Do they not remember the buddy system when swimming and especially diving?

A different season should not mean different safety rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shania
Why can't we be glad that he made it down safely and no rescue workers had to be called out.
We can be and are glad that both made it to safety.

My problem is, why should we have to glad in the first place? These solo incidents, after the fact (got stuck/accident), should never have happened. There should have been another snowmobiler present, in both situations, to offer immediate assistance.

Last edited by GWC...; 03-12-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #17
Paugus Bay Resident

GWC,

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been sledding around here for a number of years and would never go riding alone. Just my HO.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #18
Lakegeezer

Default Never alone

I always sled with my friend, Verizon...