Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Boat paint suggestions?

I need to paint the bottom of my Sunfish sailboat. I figure I only need a pint maybe a little more, but less than a quart of paint,
to complete the job. I've been told to use a marine bottom type paint product, as it will be in the water,
(only for sailing, otherwiise on land).

Have checked on WestMarine and Overton websites, but a quart of paint is around $40. Is it really that expensive?

Any suggestions? Can I use another type of paint other than marine bottom paint, since boat will only be in water during use, then stored on land. I was thinking enamal ?

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
NHBUOY

...Duplicolor base coat/clear coat spray cans...most NAPA's carry it...I have had good luck on similiar projects...the spray-on bedliner makes an EXCELLENT bow/keel guard btw...
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Duplicolor

Thanks NHBUOY. Looks like this option is much more wallet friendly.
Maybe this year we will get to paint our new to us, old canoe. She's kinda ugly right now.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
bigdog

To NHBUOY.... is the "Duplicolor" an enamal paint? Also, will this be affected by being in the water, and possibly peel or flake?

Only want to do this paint job one time, and be done. And definitely, don't want to have to repaint next year b/c paint failed.

Thanks,
BD
Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Lowe's-Gilford has a small rack of Rustoleum boat paint and primer, designed for boats, above and below the waterline. It costs about 12-dollars/quart and can go on with a 4" roller and small brush just like regular paint.
ApS (03-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
robmac

The Dupli-Color base coat/clear coat products are an laquer and can be used below the water line. Make sure you prep it according to the directions and don't rush the process,make sure surface is clean and dry before each step. Not a difficult process but the prep is what gives you the best overall results.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (05-04-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
lawn psycho

bigdog, if you want it to last make sure you do a really good prep. Get some 320 and 400 grit wetordry sandpaper and sand it down wet.

Once you get all the sanding done, get a rag and wipe everything down with laquer thinner and keep your fingers off the surface.

You can use the Rustoleum but this is one place where you get what you pay for. I'd go with the $40/quart.

Many thin layers (as in 4-5) is better than one heavy coat. This is the key to avoiding the chipping and flaking.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Herweck

Thumbs up awlgrip bottom paint

if you spend the money for a pint of awlgrip botton paint, it will hold up nicely for what you are looking to do. rather than paying to do it in 2 years again, spend the 40 and get a quality finish...thats what i would do.
Herweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
John A. Birdsall

Default bottom paint

I've painted the bottom of two fiberglass boats, and I sanded them first and laqured them then I use automobile paint. One of the boats has a 115 hp evinerude on it and it was painted ten years ago. It needs to be redone now but has lasted well. (no I am not doing it, I am selling that boat) the other boat was a 13' sailboat which after it dumped me on the lake I got rid of it. I could not right it by myself.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
bigdog

Thanks to all for the info.

FatLazyLess:
Live only a few miles away from Lowes-Gilford, will check out the Rustoleon marine paint

RobMac:
Thanks for tip on Duplicolor, will look at this option also.

LawnPscho:
Preparation info. !

Thanks again,
BD
Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
CateP

I have a sunfish (1976) and have never heard of painting the bottom. Why paint over the gelcoat?

Best marine products pricing I have found is at defender.com (in CT)

Last edited by CateP; 05-05-2011 at 12:10 PM.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
fatlazyless

I have a 1980 Force 5 sailboat which is about 14' long and sort of similar to a Laser. The surface on the bottom was in such rough shape when I bought it and so ugly that painting it with the Rustoleum fiberglass primer and a finish coat of bright blue glossy Rustoleum made a huge improvement. After years of neglect, the gel-coat got so beat up that the boat could either get discarded at the town transfer station or revived with Bondo, primer & paint. The Rustoleum boat paint goes on with a 4" roller and 2" angle brush and is definitely not as good as Awlgrip or Pettit done with a spray gun, but is probably much more doable for a do-it-yourselfer. The boat cost me $300 on craigslist about four years ago.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
Belmont Resident

Default Prep is 80% of the job.

Being a painter I can tell you that 80% of doing a job the right way is in the prep. I can also say that prep is also 100% of what people hate about doing it themselves and usually cut corners to save time, not money.
Also wondering why you don't just buy the $40 recommended bottom paint instead of taking a chance with other options that would have you possibily having to redo the work? Good luck either way.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
shoppes on the bay

bigdog, i have been boating for over 20 years in saltwater and longer if you count freshwater, there is no need to paint the bottom of your sunfish if you keep it out of the water. bottom paint is to keep growth off of it and growth will not grow on a boat that is kept out of the water even if you keep it in for 2 or 3 days. just give her a good waxing and enjoy using it.
shoppes on the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
bigdog

Shoppes On The Bay... I understand and agree with your comments, that I really don't need or require "bottom paint" in fresh water.... Only reason I'm painting is b/c the bottom was originally had bottom-paint applied, and was in salt-water by previous owner in R.I. Bottom is now showing chipping & peeling.

New paint covering, really is only for aesthetic appearance.
That being said, can I just sand and spray on some regular "primer" ?

Thanks,
BD
Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
ITD

BD, I painted an old sunfish many years ago. The fiberglass finish was dull and oxidized. I sanded the whole boat and applied an epoxy paint, it came out great, almost like new and still looks good many years later. There are epoxy paints made for fiberglass, they are not cheap and as mentioned before, prep is very important, but I think it's the best way to go.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #17
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Shoppes On The Bay... I understand and agree with your comments, that I really don't need or require "bottom paint" in fresh water.... Only reason I'm painting is b/c the bottom was originally had bottom-paint applied, and was in salt-water by previous owner in R.I. Bottom is now showing chipping & peeling.

New paint covering, really is only for aesthetic appearance.
That being said, can I just sand and spray on some regular "primer" ?

Thanks,
BD
Interlux makes particular products for priming and bottom coating lake boats (non-ablative, ultra low friction) I would suggest using them. I had White Mountain Fiberglass do my Grady and they did a great job (603-254-4478).
Attached Images

Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Irrigation Guy

Default Sweet boat

Love yer boat Grady!
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
BD, I painted an old sunfish many years ago. The fiberglass finish was dull and oxidized. I sanded the whole boat and applied an epoxy paint, it came out great, almost like new and still looks good many years later. There are epoxy paints made for fiberglass, they are not cheap and as mentioned before, prep is very important, but I think it's the best way to go.
For my dull and oxidized sail boats I use Marykate On & Off to remove stains (amazing stuff, works great) and then use a buffer with oxidation remover.

A shiny gelcoat bottom on a Sunfish (and topsides on other boats) should last longer than our lifetimes with proper care. Once you start down the "painting" path you are in for a lot more maintenance as paint scratches and wears off. It doesn't take much to make a paint job look crappy after a little wear and tear.

Last edited by CateP; 05-12-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
For my dull and oxidized sail boats I use Marykate On & Off to remove stains (amazing stuff, works great) and then use a buffer with oxidation remover.

A shiny gelcoat bottom on a Sunfish (and topsides on other boats) should last longer than our lifetimes with proper care. Once you start down the "painting" path you are in for a lot more maintenance as paint scratches and wears off. It doesn't take much to make a paint job look crappy after a little wear and tear.
This boat was beyond buffing, it was a $150 special that was in good shape except with a few holes and a couple of cracks and the finish was beyond buffing out. Some glass and resin to fix the holes and cracks, a lot of sanding then about 2 quarts of epoxy paint and it still looks great, about 25 years later. YMMV
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
This boat was beyond buffing, it was a $150 special that was in good shape except with a few holes and a couple of cracks and the finish was beyond buffing out. Some glass and resin to fix the holes and cracks, a lot of sanding then about 2 quarts of epoxy paint and it still looks great, about 25 years later. YMMV
Ahh. Epoxy paint!! Never used it , but sounds like a solution.