Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #901
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Scupper,

Everyone should let the jury decide on the facts. This includes this you, a very opinionated, first-time poster.

Freedom of speech is one thing, deciding one's fate without complete knowledge is another. This is America. Let the process work. You are not part of this process, nor am I.

If you do not like this, please quickly go very far away. We are, for the most part, very fair people and we do not need your obviously, swayed opinion. There is too much pain on both sides of this for anyone like you, a first time poster, to comment.

Save your mindless comments for the NH Legislature. They might think you are credible, we surely will not! This is not Manchester, the stomping ground of WinnFabs. We are people that know the lake.

I could care less if you do not like my opinion. It is more important to me to let the process evolve.

R2B
Nobody is trying to interfere with the judicial process; what do you think scupper is trying to do, interject himself in the actual court case?

Get real.

This is a message board on the internet.

In case you haven't noticed, the internet has changed how people comment and interact.

Not so cordial, not so old-school polite, more immediate and visceral.

It's a new world: best keep up or get out of the way.

Bravo scupper, and bravo those who post a differing viewpoint.

Just post, don't lurk.

Of course, our opinions mean nothing and will not have a scintilla of impact on the outcome of the court case.

This is a soapbox, nothing more.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #902
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
... it’s up to the jury to weigh in ALL of the evidence presented by both sides. ...
And remember, the evidence the jury hears and sees it NOT what the public hears and sees. It is also a "given" that the news media has not reported ALL of what was said in court and they have not reported all of what was NOT said, or allowed, in court.

That being said, we just have to wait and see but that does not stop us from forming and expressing opinions, as I did way way back in this thread.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #903
chillininnh

No amount of punishment levied upon her by a court of law and a jury of her peers will come close to the suffering she will endure living with the memory of this terrible tragedy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chillininnh For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-19-2010), LIforrelaxin (03-17-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #904
Newbiesaukee

What you say may well be true(although we do not know this for sure), but it has nothing to do with guilt or innocence in a trial. It may well affect the sentence if she is found guilty
Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #905
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
If a juror had a death in the immediate family would they pause a day for that juror?
We had that case during the testimony phase. The juror was excused and the first alternate got promoted. It would be up to the judge if they were in the deliberative phase. If they dismiss the juror, they are supposed to start the deliberation over which is near impossible to do.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #906
Scupper

Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum...and let me be the first to ask you to GO AWAY.. NB
Obviously I struck a nerve with you NB. Note the length of my membership on this forum...since 2006. Yes, I have few posts, but I only post on issues that appear to have substance. This is one of them. I could care less about the sunset on a particular night, ice cream at Sibley's, debate over the speed limits, whining about being stopped by M.P., etc...

What I care about is the loss of a life, a passenger that had no say, no control over the operation of the boat, and can't be brought back to life. There seems to be a lynch mob mentality against anyone that doesn't feel sympathy for the operator responsible for this "accident."

NB, I have a daughter. If she was the victim in this case, I would want justice. Sympathy due to the operator's standing in the community, personal relationship, or emotion is misguided. Facts are clarity, emotion and denial are blinding to the facts.

For those of you that stuck up for me thanks! I'll post again in another hmm, four years when substance arises again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scupper For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #907
john60ri

Default Scupper

Wow! Scupper is my new hero! I have a daughter too, and he's right - it's about the facts and it's about justice. Let the wheel of justice turn.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #908
jrc

I think lynch mob is a little strong, no one is even debating punishment, just guilty or not guilty.

First the jury must decide, but it is harmless now for us to give our opinions of her guilt or non-guilt. After the verdict, if she is found guilty, a judge will decide her fate. That's when arguements like she suffered enough already should come in.

My opinion is based almost solely on the .15 BAC. This is clearly over the limit. We decided as a society 20-30 years ago that if you drive while drunk and someone gets killed, you go to jail. You don't have to like it, or believe its a good idea, but its law. If you can get off the hook, when double the limit and three people are seriously hurt, one killed, when does the law apply?

If she was sober. Then it's tougher. But in her own words she lost all visibilty and then she sped up! I can't reconcile that action.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #909
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupper View Post
Obviously I struck a nerve with you NB. Note the length of my membership on this forum...since 2006. Yes, I have few posts, but I only post on issues that appear to have substance. This is one of them. I could care less about the sunset on a particular night, ice cream at Sibley's, debate over the speed limits, whining about being stopped by M.P., etc...

What I care about is the loss of a life, a passenger that had no say, no control over the operation of the boat, and can't be brought back to life. There seems to be a lynch mob mentality against anyone that doesn't feel sympathy for the operator responsible for this "accident."

NB, I have a daughter. If she was the victim in this case, I would want justice. Sympathy due to the operator's standing in the community, personal relationship, or emotion is misguided. Facts are clarity, emotion and denial are blinding to the facts.

For those of you that stuck up for me thanks! I'll post again in another hmm, four years when substance arises again.
SCUPPER: I'll bet you wouldn't expect this response from me. YOUR Response to my post seems Quite Sincere and I respect ..even agree with parts of your stated position above. It is quite possable I mis-interpreted your original post. If I got it wrong....I apologize. NB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-18-2010), VtSteve (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #910
Scupper

Quote:
SCUPPER: I'll bet you wouldn't expect this response from me. YOUR Response to my post seems Quite Sincere and I respect ..even agree with parts of your stated position above. It is quite possable I mis-interpreted your original post. If I got it wrong....I apologize. NB
No harm, no foul.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scupper For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-18-2010), eillac@dow (03-17-2010), VtSteve (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #911
SumoDog

I think this case and many similar cases create an interesting question that I am sure the jury and all wrestle with - is an accident an accident or is someone always responsible and punishable for their actions. I truly believe that this was an accident - was it negligent on the defendants part - the jury will decide - but I have no doubt that the defendent did not leave that evening with the thought of wrecking her boat and her friend dying due to that action. Did her actions of the evening contribute to the sad event that occured - the jury will decide - I truly believe that we have to look at everyone involved - if she was OUI - should her friends have gotten on the boat with her? If they had any thoughts that she was unable to navigate the boat - why get on - I'm sure they all had cell phones - I've been with people that I concluded were unfit to drive - I did not get in the car with them. Had I and something terrible happen - didn't I just make a choice to risk my life and isn't that contributory negligence on my part? We seem to be (as a society) developing an attitude that nothing is our fault and someone should be blamed and sued. Whatever happen to taking responsibility for your actions - you screw up - pay the price. No jury verdict, sentence will bring the young woman back to her family and friends - that is the saddest thing. Everyone on that boat that evening had a choice - sadly it turned out to be a very bad choice all and a life ending choice for one.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #912
Lakewinn1

Thumbs up Innocent till Proven Guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
WOW!!! You have to love the lynch mob mentality! I tried to stay out of it but this is getting a bit out of hand...

The prosecution has presented the worst case possible (for Erica) scenario as to the events that occurred that fateful night.... The defense has presented the best case possible (for Erica).... somewhere in the middle lies the truth!

The wheels of justice are in motion and it’s up to the jury to weigh in ALL of the evidence presented by both sides. We only know whatever the newspapers & television stations have reported.... a small fraction of what the jury heard for evidence. The rest is rumor, conjecture and opinion!

Anyone who formulates their opinion (on any subject) based solely on what has been reported in the news is a boorish unintelligent moron. Minds are like parachutes... they only work when they are open!

The jury will decide Erica's fate... not anyone on this forum. Nobody should take any delight regardless of the outcome of the verdict. Unfortunately there are a few folks here who will... (either side) and that is precisely whats wrong with the lake...

Woodsy
Woodsy well said!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #913
ApS

Cool In a Nutshell...

1) A death in a juror's family would have the judge put an "alternate-juror" in. ("Alternate-jurors" are sitting in or beside the jury box and listening to the same testimony).

2) While "the wheels of justice are in motion", there are court rules that exclude evidence that could be prejudicial to the defendant. It is only upon hearing a verdict—and entering the penalty phase—that such evidence can be divulged. (Such as previous drunken convictions, such as here).

3) The first many minutes of a jury's deliberations are taken up by procedural matters assigned by the judge.

4) The Defense has presented the best case possible for Erica.

Seldom does the defense put their client in the witness chair, but the defense did just that!—as suggested here earlier.

Quote:
No visiblity, can't see anything past the bow, don't slow down, hit a big island, alcohol involved, Wolfe Trap serves mixed drinks in PINT size glasses, beer cans in the water, vodka in the cuddy, spotty memory lapses at convienent times that are crucial, 18 miles an hour causes the boat to basically explode....hmm, let me think about this one.
Comment—with Smilies suppressed.

1) Even the presence of the same brand of empty beer cans is "circumstantial evidence".

The defense maintained they were previously rounded-up by a neatnik-neighbor, and stored in her boat. That same boat was commandeered by the hero-rescuer-neighbor, Dr. Rock.

(The rescuer's boat belongs to neatnik-neighbor Ms. Stone).

2) Visibility is an unknown. Visibility isn't likely to be a factor at night, as visibility varies in the known conditions of fog and drizzle. (The "big waves" cited by the defendant shouldn't have been alluded to—IMHO).

3) The island isn't lighted.

4) One of the vodka bottles wasn't opened.

5) At night, you usually can't see much beyond the bow.

6) Memory "lapses" happen.

7) We don't know if she slowed down.

8) Diamond Island is 34 acres—not so "big".

9) Pint-sized glasses don't mean too much: we don't know if all the drinks were fully consumed. Remember, too, that the State of New Hampshire sells vodka, so it must be OK to have a bottle or two aboard.

10) The boat didn't "explode": it's mostly the fracturing of the manufacturer's low-end "shoe-box" construction that makes it look worse than it is.

The defense made much of the fact that the broken glass evidence can roll—or be "sling-shot"—far beyond the crash site and should be dismissed as real evidence of velocity.

11) Finally: Her lawyer says she wasn't intoxicated.

What's a jury to do?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #914
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:

I am just curious, not passing judgement.

Do you think that the passenger who accompanies the driver for the evening and observes all of the alcohol the she drank (whatever the volume) bears any responsibility for her own demise?

If the jury decides that the alcohol was the determining factor in the accident would you think that the passenger should have refused to ride in the boat?

I'm not expressing an opinion, just asking a question.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #915
ApS

Post In Maritime Matters...

It is the Captain who is burdened with the judgment of safe passage—and who bears full responsibility regardless of the condition of the passengers. (Drunk, unruly, sick, injured—even unconscious).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-19-2010), codeman671 (03-18-2010), Dave R (03-18-2010), LIforrelaxin (03-18-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (03-18-2010), secondcurve (03-19-2010), VtSteve (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #916
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am just curious, not passing judgement.

Do you think that the passenger who accompanies the driver for the evening and observes all of the alcohol the she drank (whatever the volume) bears any responsibility for her own demise?

If the jury decides that the alcohol was the determining factor in the accident would you think that the passenger should have refused to ride in the boat?

I'm not expressing an opinion, just asking a question.
In my opinion, the passenegers actions have no bearing on the criminal aspect of the incident. The actions could come into play in a civil trial.

In determining guilt, I don't think a defendent can say "I'm not guilty because my friends should have stopped me".

But in a civil trial the passenger or their family is suing for damages. The driver's lawyer could say the passenger should have known better, given the circumstances.

This is pure conjecture based on your question.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #917
fpartri497

Default boating accident

One thing for sure Is no matter the outcome of this trial, EVERYBODY loses

Seadoo (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #918
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
I think that is the most factual statement in this thread.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #919
NoRegrets

Appling "guilt" in today's world.

A little over 30 years ago my brother took the family car out for the evening. There was an ice storm and he lost control and slid into the guardrails. No one was hurt but the sheet metal on the car was damaged. When he told my dad about the accident my dad said he would work out a way for my brother to pay for the repairs. My brother’s comment was that it wasn't his fault because of the conditions of the road. My father firmly replied that he made the choice to put the key in the ignition and move the vehicle. End of the discussion and my brother had to pay the cost to repair. I knew at that point the meaning of responsibility.

Somehow our society has evolved away for the intent of the law and favors the technicality of the law. Too often we see how money, power, or relationships win favors or pardons. Casual observance of these cases often can lead to cynicism over the process.

Drunk, not drunk, rating the visibility, mental conditions, or any other factors in the case may be used to set the severity of the punishment but I believe Erica "put the key in the ignition" and is responsible for the accident.

I have seen some very thoughtful posts and am thankful for the interchange between Scupper and NoBozo.

Sympathy and prayers to all who suffer loss through tragedies and let us all benefit from this incident by being reminded of the consequences that can happen if you are not careful.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #920
fatlazyless

Default ...defining negligence in NH?

And, on the other hand, if you cross the center line while totally sober and kill three and injure a fourth, a 25-year old Thornton male first sentenced to 12 years in NH prison recently had his case successfully appealed in NH Supreme Court by Atty James Moir. In June 2009, the NH Supreme Court voted 3-1 to over rule the conviction of a 25 year old male from Thornton who struck two Harley Davidsons head-on, in June 2006. By drifting across the center line of Route 49 in Thornton at the s-curve, he killed three and injured a fourth person, who were two married couples ages 53-54, all employed at an Indiana GM car dealer, who were in NH for motorcycle week. First, sentenced to 12 years in state prison, his convicton was over turned after serving about 2 1/2 years, when the NH Supreme Court decided that what he did did not constitute negligence.

He had a blood alcohol level of zero at the time. He did have a number of prior driving violations including moving violations, however that information was not allowed to be admitted during the trial.

Justice Linda Dalianis, speaking for the majority, said something like; " ...he crossed the center line for some unknown reason and that does not equal negligence."

In my personal opinion when it comes to determining negligence, it probably does not matter if you are legally drunk or just day-dreaming when you cross the center line, especially when the victim is a member of your family.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #921
fatlazyless

...www.cmonitor.com reports jury has made a decision and reached a verdict...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #922
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Here's the link to the SPECIFIC ARTICLE

Quote:
11:53 a.m. Jurors convicted Erica Blizzard of negligent homicide for failing to keep a proper lookout but were unable to reach verdicts on the more serious charge of negligent homicide by intoxication for the fatal boat crash she had in 2008 .

The jury was also unable to reach a verdict on the third charge, aggravated driving while intoxicated.

Blizzard faces 3 1/2 years in state prison on her one conviction. Prosecutors can retry her on the other two charges but did not say immediately whether they will. She will be sentenced on April 21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (03-18-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #923
Steveo

Default convicted Erica Blizzard of negligent homicide for failing to keep a proper lookout

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...100319983/1030

Jurors convicted Erica Blizzard of negligent homicide for failing to keep a proper lookout but were unable to reach verdicts on the more serious charge of negligent homicide by intoxication for the fatal boat crash she had in 2008 .

The jury was also unable to reach a verdict on the third charge, aggravated driving while intoxicated.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #924
SIKSUKR

Default The jury has spoken

Here's WMUR's link to the guilty verdict.http://www.wmur.com/news/22876656/detail.html
Old 03-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #925
Airwaves

Default Now that the trial is over...

In order for me to get a balanced overview of what was happening at the trial I had to read four individual newspaper's coverage of the trial.

It was interesting to see what each chose to report and leave out of their coverage, but by reading all four I got a pretty good idea of what was happening although certainly not as complete as if I had been there.

First it was apparent from the start that the defense was shooting to plant reasonable doubt into the minds of the jury, and they did a good job at that.

Alcohol consumption. The questions raised by the defense experts, along with testimoney from the waitress and I seem to recall a detail cop being questioned by police and saying the three did not appear drunk, went a long way toward planting the seeds of doubt as to the BAC along with the medical testimony regarding when the body stops processing food and alcohol.

The private accident reconstruction expert that was identified by some of the papers as a Deputy Sheriff for Middlesex County of MA also raised doubts as to the MPs reconstruction of the accident regarding speed. The private experts questioned the glass fragments found on the roof of the cottage that the MP said showed the speed at impact to be 31 to 33mph. It was a rainy windy night and there is no way of knowing if the glass fragments landed there or were blown there.

Erica's own testimony that she came down off plane when the visibility went to zero but went back on plane because the rocking of the boat was making them all sick also points to her caution and since I have read that her boat would plane at somewhere between 18 and 20 mph that coincides with the defense expert's thinking.

It was not surprising that they found her guilty of not keeping a proper lookout because short of saying it was just an accident and no one's fault they had to do something. I would think an argument could be made that she did keep a proper lookout. Based on her testimony the lookout (her) failed to see anything...so is that not keeping a proper lookout?

Remember, it is the burden of the state to prove, beyond any reasonable doubt, that what they claim happen actually did. Obviously in the minds of some of the jurors the state failed to meet that threashold.

Those are my thoughts based on reading the coverage of the trial from the 4 newspapers, I don't know any of the players involved either personally or professionally, these are just my observations.

Last edited by Airwaves; 03-18-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: changed "a" to "any" in the second to last paragraph
Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #926
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
I would think an argument could be made that she did keep a proper lookout. Based on her testimony the lookout (her) failed to see anything...so is that not keeping a proper lookout?
The act of hitting the island made it impossible to convince me (and the jury, apparently) that she kept a proper lookout. The whole point of keeping a proper lookout is not to make sure the stuff you hit is truly hard to see, but to avoid hitting stuff and slow to a safe speed if visibility requires it.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #927
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The act of hitting the island made it impossible to convince me (and the jury, apparently) that she kept a proper lookout. The whole point of keeping a proper lookout is not to make sure the stuff you hit is truly hard to see, but to avoid hitting stuff and slow to a safe speed if visibility requires it.
Absolutely Dave. No way am I going past trolling speed on a night like that. Her own testimony made me shake my head a couple of times, but that's what happens in trials.

I'm surprised that the estimated time spent on the trial was about right, I thought there would be more. I'm sorry to say this, but given the time elapsed since this accident, I was underwhelmed at both of the accident reconstruction "experts". The jury seemed pretty easily persuaded to doubt the State's case on BUI as well, which I believe is more the State's fault than the jury's, but just a guess.

There's never a good ending to any of these stories, and I certainly wish nobody any malice. Possibly the memory of this accident can prevent another (it's already made me think of my anchor line).

My condolences to everyone involved personally with this tragedy, and hopefully, your lives can return to some semblance of normality.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #928
seanmcd

It seems like a just verdict based on the facts as I understand them. Now what will be more interesting is what the results of the PSI (Pre Sentencing Investigation) are, and what punishment Blizzard receives.

I think the judge will give substantial weight to the wishes of the victims family. That they were best friends out doing the same thing together, I suspect that she may never spend a day in prison. Likely she will get a suspended sentence with fines and some sort of community service
requirement.

The State seems to have done a good job on the case.

RIP to Beaudoin.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #929
Airwaves

I am just raising the question of what is a "proper" lookout.

It seemed to me in reading the coverage that she was doing everything she could in attempting to locate navigational aides she relied on, to me that would constitute a "proper" lookout.

The fact that she still hit the island says that she should have stopped or slowed the boat to headway speed when visibility went to zero but that was not what the jury found her guilty of.

So the question is the definition of "proper" lookout. Focusing ahead of the boat into the night would be considered proper, until you hit something? Then it is not proper even though conditions were such that the lookout could not see the object?

I'm just pointing out that an argument could me made.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #930
seanmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The jury seemed pretty easily persuaded to doubt the State's case on BUI as well, which I believe is more the State's fault than the jury's, but just a guess.
I tend to think it may have been more a matter of the jury doing what they usually do, grab onto the charge that is easiest to understand. There is always some 'negotiation' in the jury room, and absent 12 people who completely agree on every charge, they often go with the easiest to prove charge. In this case that was obviously the Neg Homicide 'failure to keep proper lookout.'

**I should add that as I recall, the Neg Homicide with the BUI is an A Felony, while the charge the jury went with is a B Felony. It is a substantial difference in sentence.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #931
Mr. V

The prosecutor should retry her on the hung jury counts.

To do otherwise is a denial of justice.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #932
topwater

Thank God COMMON SENSE prevailed. We all knew she was guilty, now the whole world knows she is ! She probably will appeal, just so she can have alittle more FREE time. Don (webmaster), can we now lock this up like you did the speed limit thread? Lets move on to spring thaw and possible record ice out.
By the way, I noticed in the Weirs Times this week, on the same page as the map of Winnie, there is a nice list of YEARS/DATES of ice out since 1888.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #933
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
I am just raising the question of what is a "proper" lookout.

It seemed to me in reading the coverage that she was doing everything she could in attempting to locate navigational aides she relied on, to me that would constitute a "proper" lookout.

The fact that she still hit the island says that she should have stopped or slowed the boat to headway speed when visibility went to zero but that was not what the jury found her guilty of.

So the question is the definition of "proper" lookout. Focusing ahead of the boat into the night would be considered proper, until you hit something? Then it is not proper even though conditions were such that the lookout could not see the object?

I'm just pointing out that an argument could me made.
Proper lookout is definitely not something that is going to get defined the same way by every person. And I really don't believe was the proper way to define the charge that she was ultimately convicted of. However that may be the only way the could charge her, with what was definable by law.

Proper lookout really just refers to the visual aspects of make sure you are aware of your surroundings, and proximity to things.

Truly in this case the better why to define what Ms. Blizzard is guilty of is negligent operation. This would there for include not keep a proper lookout, as well as operation of her vessel in a safe and prudent manor. Visually she didn't keep a good lookout, which was in part hampered by operating her boat at a speed prudent for the situation. If you can't see past the bow of the boat, you shouldn't be moving at more then headway speed.

I had long been thinking of a fitting closing point to make in this thread... summing up my feelings of how this accident as well as others have been use to falsely create fear where there shouldn't be any. But I have decided not to.

This was a sad sad situation. How much of a roll alcohol played here I have no idea, and from reading what I have read, have been left with many questions to ponder. Which will hopefully drive me to do some research and understand things better.

Do I believe the state should hand down the harshest punishment possible. Yes, not because I believe Ms. Blizzard is a horrible, unremorseful person, but because I have and always will believe in punishing people to the fullest extent of the law. In actuality I don't believe any punishment the state can levy can be as bad as the quilt she lives with every day knowing what happened the dark night.

The only thing I walk away from all this the slightest bit disappointed in, is that I got the feeling that the state didn't assemble the case that they should have. Maybe I am wrong, but maybe I am not. I do believe the state case could have been stronger then it was.

To all the families and people involved, I hope that this trial puts this issue to rest. Now is the time that we all need to let this issue go, and let the wounds heal. Certainly we have all gained a new perspective from watching this, and could discuss things for along time. But we need to respect that it is over and allow, the community and the lake itself to move on.
VtSteve (03-20-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #934
john60ri

Default Verdict

I just have one question about Airwaves' summary of the trial. She said "she came down off plane when the visibility went to zero, but went back on plane because the rocking of the boat was making them all sick". I ask you boaters out there: Is this testimony credible under the circumstances of the crash? It doesn't sound right to me, but I am not a boater. Can anyone explain this?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #935
Airwaves

LIforrelaxin, actually the charge I would have brought is negligent operation of a boat as you suggest. However that is not what was presented to the jury. They found her guilty of failure to keep a proper lookout and that is fine, as I stated I am only basing my observation on what I read in the newspapers, I wasn't in the courtroom. However it seems to me that AN ARGUMENT could be made regarding the word PROPER. Based on what I read she did maintain a proper lookout. What she failed to do was to maintain headway speed...so the charge was probably inappropriate.

john60ri...a boat underway at speed in weather is a much more stable vessel than one not underway or at headway speed in the same weather. So according to her testimony she came down off plane but because of the condition of the waves on the lake, and the rocking the pitching of the boat, it was making everyone sick, so she went back up on plane to avoid the rocking that was producing motion sickness.

Just so everyone is clear. I am not defending Blizzard or the jury or criticizing the prosecution. I am pointing out that based on what I read in the newspapers she was facing the wrong charge in once case and will in all likelihood face a retrial for the charges in the hung jury based on the sentence.

But I find the definition of "proper" something that should be looked at.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #936
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
I just have one question about Airwaves' summary of the trial. She said "she came down off plane when the visibility went to zero, but went back on plane because the rocking of the boat was making them all sick". I ask you boaters out there: Is this testimony credible under the circumstances of the crash? It doesn't sound right to me, but I am not a boater. Can anyone explain this?
If I was plowing along at say 15mph and the visibility went to zero I would drop down to headway speed and ask any on board to help keep watch. I have been there having to transport a grandchild to the ER from Welch at night in the fog. I really wanted to be going a lot faster but suppressed the urge.

A boat is more stable on plane than plowing along but if you can't see past the bow you are driving blind.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #937
secondcurve

3 1/2 years probably is a reasonable punishment. Hopefully, she gets it all and the state chooses not to retry her (and waste money) on the two charges that the jury was deadlocked on. I would have preferred a guilty plea and her request for leniency. I think in that circumstance leniency would have been granted in combination with a heavy community service requirement and some good would have come from this tragedy.

Anytime someone climbs into a boat like that after 3 1/2 drinks (her version) in the dead of the night in dicey weather you are guilty of negligence in my opinion. The BAC evidence backs this position up, but she had a good attorney and he was able to convince one or two jurors that there was a reasonable doubt.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #938
nellies

Default Boating Accident

I'm kind of new to this bizarre forum regarding the boat that hit Diamond Island, etc,etc,, I've taken the time to read back through all the comments written during (almost) the past two years and I really find it quite interesting how many of you are ready to immediately condem and how many of you are ready to condon what happened when in fact not one of you was on the boat that night and really have no idea what happened beside what you read, hear or see in the media. You're all so riteous: if it was your daughter I suppose you want blood, if on the other hand it's you daughter on trail you want acquittal. The last time I checked, in the United States OF America, according to our Constituion you are innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers, afetr hearing the evidence presentesd by the prosecution and the defense. I don't find it amusing that so many of you have such opinion regarding guilt or innocense when you weren't there when it happened. At the end of the day if it was your daughter, on trail, for an accident that occurred taking the life of your daughters best friend and someone whom you considered to be a great friend, as well, how would you react. Empathy, has a simple definition: Walk IN MY Shoes, before passing judgement. I've been on the Lake W for 64 years, I've been a resident since 1982, the Lake can be a nightmare, from time to time, and we all from time to time take liberties with our knowledge and experience with the lake trying to beat Mother Nature. The jury has decide Erika's fate, as it should, based upon the evidence presented. I did attend the trial, one day, so if you didn't don't sit back and second guess what was presented.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nellies For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-19-2010), Seadoo (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #939
Seadoo

nellies,

you hit the nail right on the head. I did too sit in on the trial for not 1 day but 3, and you said everything i would have said.

THANKS!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #940
Airwaves

Default With all due respect to nellies and Seadoo

I agree that the postings prior and during the trial we probably off the wall. But since the verdict was rendered, and since Nellies and Seadoo say they attended at least portions of the trial, please give us some insight into what happened beyond what was reported in the newspapers since that is our only source of information.

What did they get wrong/right/leave out/embelsih etc that we don't know about?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #941
bigpatsfan

I also agree with Nellies post.

I wasn’t in the court room and I really do not feel comfortable passing judgment on someone based on reading a 150 word story in the paper.

Both the defense and the prosecution made their case and in the end 12 people made their decision based on the facts presented.

As for the actions of this board, not too long ago, a number of people went crazy hanging out some poor guy who had his boat sink on him. Without any facts other than the fact that a boat sank they went on a rant saying what this person should have done and how much better a boater they were.

Point is there are many people that have a holier than I view.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpatsfan For This Useful Post:
Bear Island South (03-19-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #942
Lucky1

There was definitely some finding about this case in the news today. I do not know the facts.

I do know that I would not drink and drive and would not get in a car or a boat with someone who would drink and drive either. The whole thing is a tragedy for many it seems. Nothing we enter here can change that. It is just sad and friends did things that they were not supposed to be doing and one died as a result. It has happened before and will happen again. Education and example and talking about how things like this happen if people do not act responsibily might be helpful.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #943
NoRegrets

None of these posts can be of personal knowledge and even if there were several survivors that were on the vessel that night I would bet they would have differing accounts of the incident. That is the nature of individual observations based on each persons life-long experiences.

If it is upsetting to read peoples opinions in a semi-public forum you should not do it. You are now judging and condeming everyone on the thread by your standards and opinion and doing the same activity that you are complaning about. There is a benefit to venting and sharing opinions through discussions. The process of composing a post takes an effort that includes writing your thoughts. Some postings are better than others but each one does allow the poster to practice a style of communication that insures we will not forget the horrible event and hopefully prevent future accidents.

To your point - There are some that comdem the people and I do agree that is the courts job but there were many that speculate on the facts and by doing so it forces one to contemplate or reflect what they would do in that situation. There are some posts that many found insulting and boil your blood but try to skip over them or respond if moved to. I personally believe 80% add value and advance the experience of Winnipesaukee. JMHO.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-19-2010), chipj29 (03-19-2010), Dave R (03-19-2010), LIforrelaxin (03-19-2010), Misty Blue (03-19-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-19-2010), Pineedles (03-19-2010), robmac (03-19-2010), SteveA (03-20-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #944
ApS

Unhappy Missing: Vigilance and Skill...

NR: Nicely said.

Question: For those who attended, was this a trial by six jurors or twelve?

Juries of twelve are common in Capital-Murder cases—not this kind. (Juries of six are said to be more easily hamstrung in decision-making).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
But not to the same degree as one did.

If a civil trial against this defendant follows—as in OJ Simpson's case—everyone paying a boating-insurance premium definitely loses.

That said, NH law makes an exception for an insurance payout when the insured is found to be a felon. (I don't know what happens when a jury finding is later reversed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
"...3 1/2 years probably is a reasonable punishment. Hopefully, she gets it all and the state chooses not to retry her (and waste money) on the two charges that the jury was deadlocked on..."
1) The defendant was found "Guilty" on the least of the charges.

(In our court system, there is no finding of "Innocent"—and a 3½-year confinement isn't going to happen).

2) The Court and State witnesses are paid regardless of their activity: As FLL points out, an appeal could find the penalty overturned by the NH Supreme Court.

3) IMHO, if there was ever a case for revocation of a boater certification—this is it.

(The remaining "25-horsepower option" can be especially instructive in boat handling safety).

Nellies—First...Welcome to the forum.

1) "Empathy" in this case is a two-edged sword.

As the near-daily operator of boats less than 22-feet long, I'm not wishing to share any part of this lake with this particular felon. Like the Littlefield case, "big" boating—after sunset—has become a "stern taskmaster"

2) If you've been following the newspapers' "comments"...well... enough said on that!

"Threading the needle" meant passage between two shorelines 2000-feet apart! Her purported use of a fathometer is better than nothing, and would have allowed a few hundred yards of warning...BUT...to quote Airwaves' fav-or-ite rule:

Quote:
RULE 6
Safe Speed
"Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions."

"The sea is a stern mistress...She demands from her sons both vigilance and skill in her service, and for the man who fails her the penalty is death...".
—Ajax
Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #945
OCDACTIVE

Great post Noregrets.

Frankly, we now have a verdict. The court system has done its job and justice has been determined.

Why do people continue to make posts that are only hurting all those involved.

There is nothing more productive that can come from this thread. The conjecture and speculations have been drawn out to no end and now it is just becoming shameless. Lets have some respect for all those involved and finally put this entire situation behind us and learn from what has happened.

I would think that if other issues have been shut down because there is no more productive comments that can be made then this is another case where the same respect and logic should also be stopped.

I would hope that this thread would be shut down now that it is finally over.
LIforrelaxin (03-19-2010), robmac (03-19-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #946
NoBozo

What would it cost to establish a Lighted Mark on the southwest corner of Diamond Island...maybe just like the one on Parker Island.

Whenever I transit from Wolfeboro to Winter Harbor at night I ALWAYS go outside the island ..using that fixed lighted mark, just to be safe, rather than try and find the unlighted marks on the inside channel that I use in daylight. Just wondering. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (03-19-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #947
Dave R

Quote:
What would it cost to establish a Lighted Mark on the southwest corner of Diamond Island...maybe just like the one on Parker Island.

Whenever I transit from Wolfeboro to Winter Harbor at night I ALWAYS go outside the island ..using that fixed lighted mark, just to be safe, rather than try and find the unlighted marks on the inside channel that I use in daylight. Just wondering. NB
That's an excellent idea. I think that long stretch from the witches to Diamond needs a nav-aid.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #948
chipj29

Thumbs down UnionLeader.com comments

I am absolutely appalled (yet not surprised) at most of the comments that have been posted in the article on unionleader.com regarding the outcome of this trial. Disgusting in every way.
SteveA (03-20-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #949
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
That's an excellent idea. I think that long stretch from the witches to Diamond needs a nav-aid.
A number of things came up to help make the lake safer. Contact SBONH if you feel that we need a specific law on the books to make the lake safer.

Having a light bouy on The Broads side of Diamond Island is a good one. Even on a good night Diamond can be missed.

One item suggested a couple of years ago and I feel has merits is making Cattle Landing Pass a no wake zone on weekends. This area is very busy and I have seen too many near misses.

Another item is to allow overnight stay in inclement weather at all public docks in NH. Twice I was ask to leave. Both in different towns. One night it was raining so hard, the MP tied up to the dock. And I was TOLD to leave. Another night, the LEO gave me a ticket on the spot. I would rather pay the ticket than try to navigate The Broads in pea soup fog. In the name of safety you should be allowed to stay.

I strongly feel, replacing 'Reasonable and Prudent' with USCG Rule 6. 'Reasonable and Prudent' is a vague statement. Rule 6 will give the MP 'more teeth' when being challenge in the courts.

Feel free to let me know of your thoughts.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #950
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Having a light bouy on The Broads side of Diamond Island is a good one. Even on a good night Diamond can be missed.
There already is one on the Broads side; FL25 off the end of Rattlesnake is a good landmark. I'd like to see one just southwest of the southwest corner of Diamond Island. It would be a perfect place for one as you head from FL71/FL28 at the witches toward Alton Bay. Presently, Diamond Island hides FL24 by Treasure Island, so it's tough to get a visual fix on a good waypoint. With a light where NoBozo suggested, you could easily make your way from one FL to the next, like you can heading up into Center Harbor from the Broads (FL7 to FL83 to FL6 to FL5), or heading into Alton Bay from the Broads (FL22 to FL67 to FL23). I love having the FLs to confirm that I am on the course that my chartplotter says I am.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #951
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
A number of things came up to help make the lake safer. Contact SBONH if you feel that we need a specific law on the books to make the lake safer.

One item suggested a couple of years ago and I feel has merits is making Cattle Landing Pass a no wake zone on weekends. This area is very busy and I have seen too many near misses.

Another item is to allow overnight stay in inclement weather at all public docks in NH. Twice I was ask to leave. Both in different towns. One night it was raining so hard, the MP tied up to the dock. And I was TOLD to leave. Another night, the LEO gave me a ticket on the spot. I would rather pay the ticket than try to navigate The Broads in pea soup fog. In the name of safety you should be allowed to stay.

I strongly feel, replacing 'Reasonable and Prudent' with USCG Rule 6. 'Reasonable and Prudent' is a vague statement. Rule 6 will give the MP 'more teeth' when being challenge in the courts.

Feel free to let me know of your thoughts.
I agree with all your suggestions. I thinks reasonable and prudent is OK but augmenting with USCG Rule 6 is good as well.

I was reading your dock stories and thinking about the trial. If they found the visibilty too bad and anchored until it improved, they would be breaking the law against anchoring a houseboat at night. Now a ticket for illegal anchoring is worth it to avoid death and injury, but the law should not encourage bad choices.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #952
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I was reading your dock stories and thinking about the trial. If they found the visibilty too bad and anchored until it improved, they would be breaking the law against anchoring a houseboat at night. Now a ticket for illegal anchoring is worth it to avoid death and injury, but the law should not encourage bad choices.
This is one of the "Unintended Consiquences" that (perhaps) agenda driven enacted laws can cause. I would have just stayed tied up to the town docks at Wolfeboro for the night. No problem.

But WAIT: I know this is Against The Law ...and I don't need a hassle from the WPD or the MP tonight. SO: I get underway. After all, I don't have ANY visions of Death and Destruction on my mind. It will probably be an unpleasent trip..but I'm confident I can get to where I'm going.........

Just Too Much Common Sense goin on here. SO: Who WINS..?? NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 03-19-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #953
secondcurve

Quote:
This is one of the "Unintended Consiquences" that (perhaps) agenda driven enacted laws can cause. I would have just stayed tied up to the town docks at Wolfeboro for the night. No problem.

But WAIT: I know this is Against The Law ...and I don't need a hassle from the WPD or the MP tonight. SO: I get underway. After all, I don't have ANY visions of Death and Destruction on my mind. It will probably be an unpleasent trip..but I'm confident I can get to where I'm going.........

Just Too Much Common Sense goin on here. SO: Who WINS..?? NB
She made it to her father's house so she could have tied up there.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #954
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
YUP: Good point.........How FAR could she have gone....Maybe she could have made it to another Waypoint. MY point was ..If the LAW had allowed..maybe she wouldn't have HAD to get underway and make the next Waypoint.

Not trying to raise a ruckus..just some thought...maybe learn something ...NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-19-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #955
sa meredith

Default nighttime

Just a quick thought/question I have, as this thread seems to be starting to wind down... I have my own opinion on the matter, and without a long detailed post, would simply state that I believe justice is not being served. If her financial situation was different, I believe the outcome would be quite different...but when you can afford the best defense lawyers that money can buy...well you tend to get better results.
Anyway...my question...
I have plenty of boating experience on the lake...encountered my share of tough situations, made mistakes navigating, been caught if terrible weather...normal stuff every boater has experienced.
But all in the day time. I have never boated at night, and would really not know the first thing about it.
There has been much discussion about Erica coming off plane when visibilty went to zero, but because of the boat getting tossed, she decided to throttle back up a bit. So, I ask, when visibility is zero...AT NIGHT, BY THE WAY... when would it ever be a good idea to travel above headway speed?! You can't see...don't know what might be floating in the water ahead of you, but power up because people are not feeling well? "Lean over the side and toss, and while you're there, shout out if you happen to see anything".
Really though...is driving the boat at 18 MPH in zero visibilty an accepted practice? Curious what boaters with more experince than me might think.
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #956
BroadHopper

Default As I have stated in post above

I would docked or anchor the boat and wait. I have done that a number of times. When I anchor off shore, it does not seem to be a problem. The MP seems to realize the safety issue. It is the town LEOs at public docks that are telling you to move on.

On the other hand, if I had radar, lorance, or GPS, it may have been different. I still need a proper look out.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #957
BlackCatIslander

I know that if I am in my boat and the visibility is zero I would never go above headway speed and I would have my spotlight in use. I have been on the lake over 30 years and know that it is very easy to get disoriented very easily in the fog. Even with gps caution is necessary.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #958
NoRegrets

Great segway SAmeredith and maybe this could start a new thread.

GPS places you on the breadcrumbs you left behind and shows the map with your position on it so by itself you can move providing you have visibility so I agree with BCI.

Radar will pick up other movable objects when visibility becomes impared. You must become familiar and practice - practice - and practice with this equipment ao you can adjust for rain, humidity, and waves to maximize your accuracy. When tuned for the condition you can become fairly safe. Most radars can also set alarms if it picks up on an object in a configured zone. I will create 2 zones around 300 feet and 500 feet ahead of me and an audible alarm goes off if a marker, boat, obstruction or anything that reflects the radar comes within the zones as we are under way. On one occasion my alarm triggered and0 it was a flock of ducks. Did I emphasize that PRACTICE is imperative?

It is easy to become disoriented in fog even with the equipment so that is when the compass and chart become important. One time I was sure I was looking in one direction but all my equipment told me otherwise. It was a bad feeling so I shut down competely and verified with all my equipment and I was wrong.

I am sure there are other possibilities and use of teh equipment but I do find it liberating and exhilerating to navigate in all types of conditions. With my current knowledge and experience I would NOT go on plane without radar in limited visibility conditions. This includes bright sunshine.

The poorest condition we encountered was leaving Center Harbor and we could not see the end of the bow. It took us over 2 hours of focused navigation to get to the back side of Governer's Island. We were very confident we were safe and posed no danger to anyone elso. As soon as we got into the broads the fog lifted. Great experience.

Erica's testomy included a statement that the conditions were getting her passengers sick so she decided to pick up the speed (paraphrased by me) was interesting and it is true that headway speed in waves can be awful. I would think a faster "plowing" approach with the bow up would stablize the rocking sensation but if you hit an object at that speed (maybe 8- 12 MPH) the results would be different. Not judging but just pondering. What do you all think.

Thanks for the post SAMeredith.

Ice Out Monday!!!! maybe?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #959
Airwaves

Secondcurve
Quote:
According to the testimony the weather the visibility turned south AFTER she left her father's house.
The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #960
BroadHopper

Quote:
Secondcurve

According to the testimony the weather the visibility turned south AFTER she left her father's house.
Classic example of New England weather. I noticed a lot of small crafts find out the hard way as they try to navigate The Broads.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #961
trfour

Default Citizen Article...

http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...9897/0/CITIZEN

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 03-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #962
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

After reading some of the posts today......it's clear we didn't even need that jury.....these folks have it all figured out.Why even bother with a trial when we have so many experts right here?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #963
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
.......is driving the boat at 18 MPH in zero visibilty an accepted practice? ....
I posted this way back in this thread but the Coast Guard does have not only an opinion but a rule:

RULE 6
SAFE SPEED
Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

I tend to value their opinion and experience.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #964
NoBozo

Default Sick at night

From my experience at sea (well away from land and lights) on a dark night. This doesn't affect everybody. It doesn't happen to me...BUT..some people are affected by loss of visual orientation ...boat rockin and rollin combined with the loss of a Visible Horizon.......resulting in Sea Sickness. Thats puking.

It has something to do with the inner ear..equalibrium..lack of a visual horizon combination. I can't explain the particulars.

I have seen Macho guys turn to MUSH under these conditions.

My Advice: Do NOT go down into the cabin..night or day..if you feel sea sick. Stay OUT in the cockpit with fresh air and a visual horizon. NB
Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #965
sa meredith

Default me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
After reading some of the posts today......it's clear we didn't even need that jury.....these folks have it all figured out.Why even bother with a trial when we have so many experts right here?
Curious if this post is pointed at me?
My honest thought is that thereis just too much evidence that alcohol played a rolled here...way too much. The .15 alone would normally be enough.
But the right attorney can show any evidence to be circumstancial...and that's what I believe happened here.
Maybe I'm wrong.
But here is a captain who grew up on the lake. She can probably navigate and operate a large boat as well,if not better,than anyone who reads this forum. And yet we are to believe she made the decisions that she did, with a clear head? Doesn't add up.
I think many people in the area know her, and consider her a friend, so they get their ire up when they comment on this matter. But the events of the evening seem to have taken a course that intoxication would explain.
Not trying to offend anyone. This is just my opinion.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #966
ApS

Wink Leavin' it up to me?

Quote:
"...But the events of the evening seem to have taken a course that intoxication would explain.
Not trying to offend anyone. This is just my opinion..."
Starting with post #900, there does seem to be a "too-wide support" for alcohol on board a boat.

Last edited by ApS; 03-22-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add "it" to title :o
Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #967
hazelnut

Quote:
My honest thought is that thereis just too much evidence that alcohol played a rolled here...way too much. The .15 alone would normally be enough.
But the right attorney can show any evidence to be circumstancial...and that's what I believe happened here.
Maybe I'm wrong.
But here is a captain who grew up on the lake. She can probably navigate and operate a large boat as well,if not better,than anyone who reads this forum. And yet we are to believe she made the decisions that she did, with a clear head? Doesn't add up.
I think many people in the area know her, and consider her a friend, so they get their ire up when they comment on this matter. But the events of the evening seem to have taken a course that intoxication would explain.
I wouldn't think it was pointed at you SA I for one think you raise some very interesting points of view. A lot of your thoughts are pretty spot on. In that visibility if all accounts are accurate the only prudent speed should have been no wake speed. I've been there and done that and it can be scary. I was out on a night when visibiltiy went to zero I limped back to the weirs at No Wake from beyond governers and eagle. When I came into weirs my course was off about 25 yard or so. Thankfully I had the lights from the beach to guide me and I was traveling at 5 mph.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #968
VtSteve

Whatever... These two look pretty darn happy to me. Probably relieved that it's finally over.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...NTPAGE/3190304
Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #969
Airwaves

Originally posted by RI Swamp Yankee
Quote:
I posted this way back in this thread but the Coast Guard does have not only an opinion but a rule:

RULE 6
SAFE SPEED
Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

I tend to value their opinion and experience.
As do I, unfortunately NH has never adopted Rule 6.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #970
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Not at all, SA...I've always enjoyed your posts. That was kind of tongue in cheek, referring to the fact that none of us were privy to the information that the jury got in order to render a decision.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #971
sa meredith

Default sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Whatever... These two look pretty darn happy to me. Probably relieved that it's finally over.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...NTPAGE/3190304
While I'm sure the smiles are from some measure of relief knowing that the trial is over, my best guess would be that Stephanie Beaudoin's family can't bring themselves to smile at all, when considering this event.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #972
ApS

Default Here ya go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
For what its worth,I also saw the site within a week and the outcropping as you call it it closer to 5 feet.The photo you posted gives you the scale you seek.The windows would be about 3 feet high based on a 7 foot wall that they are in.From my observation the highest point is at least 50% taller than the windows.
The paddle is marked with four black bands, for a scale of three feet—total.

ETA:
After subtracting two inches for late-season change in water depth, compare the largest marking on the granite to the deepest damage on the boat.

On the boat, measure up three feet from the keel. This boat was going much faster than it should have been.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 03-23-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Found a new photo for comparison...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #973
PC31

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong.
Were you intoxicated when you wound up in the witches? Obviously the prosecutor did not prove that .15 was accurate.

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #974
sa meredith

Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC31 View Post
Were you intoxicated when you wound up in the witches? Obviously the prosecutor did not prove that .15 was accurate.
Really...you think that an appropriate analogy???!!! Really???
Strange, but I'll bite...
Visibilty was simply as far as the eye can see...bright sunny day. No real reason to not be cruising along.
There were no beer can/bottles empty/full on board. No booze of any kind.
I had not spent 5 hours in a bar that day.
I had consumed no alcohol in the previous 24 hours.
Realizing my insanely stupid/ careless error, I STOPPED IN TIME!

I don't want to do battle with you...really.
But you think these are the same things?

Honestly...my only real questions here, are given her amount of experience (which I believe to be substancial), how can she have made some of the deciisons that she did.
Really, it comes down just one decision...she stated visibility went to zero...but powered back up because her passengers were feeling ill.
That does not sound like the logic of a clear thinking person.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #975
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Swamp Yankee
As do I, unfortunately NH has never adopted Rule 6.
True, it just points out what the prudent, experienced would/should do.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #976
brk-lnt

Quote:
Just a quick thought/question I have, as this thread seems to be starting to wind down... I have my own opinion on the matter, and without a long detailed post, would simply state that I believe justice is not being served. If her financial situation was different, I believe the outcome would be quite different...but when you can afford the best defense lawyers that money can buy...well you tend to get better results.
Just to play devils advocate...

So which is it, are the poor under-served, or are the wealthy over-served?

I've certainly heard detailed accounts of over-zealous public prosecutors that have put innocent people (and by innocent I mean people later acquitted by DNS evidence, etc.) away because those people couldn't afford a proper defense.

Can you blame someone for using all of their available resources to try to escape a conviction? Do you think in this case Erica should have gone with a public defender? Would you do things differently if you were in the same position with the same resources?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #977
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Starting with post #900, there does seem to be a "too-wide support" for alcohol on board a boat.
There is nothing wrong (legally and morally) with having alcohol on a boat. Just because there is alcohol on a boat does not mean that the person piloting the boat has been drinking. It doesn't mean that anyone on the boat has been drinking. And it does not mean that any person on the boat is drunk.

The presence of alcohol on a boat means just one thing...that there is alcohol on a boat. Nothing more, nothing less. So yes, I am saying that as long as it is legal, it is perfectly acceptable.
LIforrelaxin (03-22-2010), NoBozo (03-22-2010), NoRegrets (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #978
sa meredith

Default who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Just to play devils advocate...

So which is it, are the poor under-served, or are the wealthy over-served?

I've certainly heard detailed accounts of over-zealous public prosecutors that have put innocent people (and by innocent I mean people later acquitted by DNS evidence, etc.) away because those people couldn't afford a proper defense.

Can you blame someone for using all of their available resources to try to escape a conviction? Do you think in this case Erica should have gone with a public defender? Would you do things differently if you were in the same position with the same resources?
It's like this... people are quick to say, "well, let's not rush to judgement. Let the judge and jury decide"
Well, using that same logic, let's not be naive and think that a judge and jury cannnot be mislead, by a sharp lawyer, who can make the evidence look exactly the way he wants it to. See: OJ.
In this case, admitted they were in bar for 5 hours, admitted they were drinking, had booze and empties on board, tested at .15, made very poor decisions that a normal thinking person would have a hard time agreeing with...but OUI? Of course not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-22-2010), Dave R (03-22-2010), secondcurve (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #979
fatlazyless

Alcohol does a good job of removing ink marks from vinyl upholstery, plus it cleans paint brushes used with BIN primer-sealer. Two excellent reasons to carry alcohol on board!

For a skipper out navigat'n in a $150,000 Formula 370 SS, maintaining a good supply of Grey Goose would most certainly be an appropriate application!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #980
NoRegrets

Default Thank you FLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Alcohol does a good job of removing ink marks from vinyl upholstery, plus it cleans paint brushes used with BIN primer-sealer. Two excellent reasons to carry alcohol on board! For a skipper out navigat'n in a $150,000 Formula 370 SS, maintaining a good supply of Grey Goose would most certainly be an appropriate application!
I was getting so serious but your post just changed my day! Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #981
VtSteve

Quote:
Alcohol does a good job of removing ink marks from vinyl upholstery, plus it cleans paint brushes used with BIN primer-sealer. Two excellent reasons to carry alcohol on board!

For a skipper out navigat'n in a $150,000 Formula 370 SS, maintaining a good supply of Grey Goose would most certainly be an appropriate application!
Never knew that, how utterly good taste

I think the Formula is a lot closer to $400k than 200k. It's a fashionable express cruiser. I could use my boat as a tender for it
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #982
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Fatigue

I have waited for the outcome and to learn all the facts in this case. It effected me as a frequent night boater on the lake and I believed it has made me more cautious even on a lake I know like the back of my hand.

I was saddened for the loss and hardship it has caused, and felt it could of happen anyone else on the lake that boats at night. Alcohol is always on your mind to jump to conclusion, "they must have been drunk to hit a island". But many things impair our judgment, and being late at night, fatigue is a major cause of accidents.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fatig...accidents.html

So I hope for all of us that enjoy the lake, to keep a respect for it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-22-2010), BroadHopper (03-22-2010), eillac@dow (03-22-2010), LIforrelaxin (03-22-2010), Resident 2B (03-22-2010), robmac (03-22-2010), VtSteve (03-22-2010), Winnigirl (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #983
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
. But many things impair our judgment, and being late at night, fatigue is a major cause of accidents.
As I watched the trial unfold and read what I could. And then knowing what I know about fatigue I have always, and will always wonder what role fatigue played in this case. Unfortunately as Alcohol is always a much more volatile subject in these case it got all the attention.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe that Erica was stone cold sober that night. But was the fatigue from a long day involved in this accident every bit as much as the alcohol... I personally believe it was.... I believe it very well could have been the driving force to get to the destination that night for a good nights sleep. Instead of anchoring somewhere and waiting the bad weather out.

A thought for everyone to think about here... The last time you had two or three drinks...(assuming you don't have 2 or 3 drinks every night)... how quickly do you feel fatigued and ready to head off to bed.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #984
VtSteve

Typically, days spent lounging around in the sun will make me a bit fatigued, whether I've had drinks or not. Standing at the helm for extended period will fatigue my back, so this year I tried the new Sperry (ASV) anti-shock-vibration gimmick shoe. So far, after a week, my back feels much more relaxed after days on hard surfaces.

Many people know what it's like to be so tired, the lines on the road seem to be your only focus. It's very hard to concentrate on what's up ahead at that stage. Can't say I've ever felt that in a boat, the air usually makes me alert.

But I doubt fatigue played much of a part in this case, who knows? In rain and limited visibility, anything can happen. She couldn't see anything, but thought she was ok due to one reading. It wasn't a great choice. Personally, I've never, ever been sick or dizzy on a lake in a boat, driving or not. And I'm quite sure that I would never take a reading of 70' of water as an indication of being safe. Anyone that's ever boated on any lake knows that 70' can become deeper, or shallower, real quick. We have a spot out front here by a reef, it goes from almost 350' to 8' inside of a quarter mile.

All we can do now is take it all in, and realize that we're not as good as our minds think we are. We were told that as HS kids, again in college, and by adult age, everyone just hopes most of us listened. But in the end Ex, as an adult, I know that neither fatigue, nor alcohol was to blame here. Those two items are choices and actions made by the operator. Accidents can, and will, happen to even the most careful skipper. But each situation is different.

Everyone has their own common sense, or even sympathetic sense, of what this accident entailed. The details of the start to finish trip have all been laid out during the trial for all to see. All I can say after all of this is that the last picture I saw from court was a little disturbing, although many predicted it.

For the rest of us, we all know there are very serious responsibilities that come with piloting a boat of any kind. Nobody's perfect, but at least we try to take these things seriously.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Excalibur (03-23-2010), NoRegrets (03-23-2010), robmac (03-23-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #985
ApS

Question Wrong Designated-Driver, IMHO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillininnh View Post
No amount of punishment levied upon her by a court of law and a jury of her peers will come close to the suffering she will endure living with the memory of this terrible tragedy.
1) Would you support a revocation of this captain's boating certificate?

2) If so—keeping in mind the summons-penalties—for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
There is nothing wrong (legally and morally) with having alcohol on a boat. Just because there is alcohol on a boat does not mean that the person piloting the boat has been drinking. It doesn't mean that anyone on the boat has been drinking. And it does not mean that any person on the boat is drunk.

The presence of alcohol on a boat means just one thing...that there is alcohol on a boat. Nothing more, nothing less. So yes, I am saying that as long as it is legal, it is perfectly acceptable.
1) Interesting insertion of morally into the debate: How about in automobiles? For truckers? For train engineers?

2) To ask the Union Leader's headline-question again:

Keep in mind the following FACTS:

Quote:
BAC of defendant Blizzard: .15
BAC of decedent Beaudoin: .14
BAC of injured-passenger Shinopoulos: .09
3) To the well-being of our fellow boaters, passengers and shoreline dwellers—while burdened with a Captain's responsibility, every one of us owes the highest and most-rigid of standards.

IMHO

Last edited by ApS; 03-24-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Had transposed BACs: corrected...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #986
chipj29

Quote:
1) Interesting insertion of morally into the debate: How about in automobiles? For truckers? For train engineers?
What is so morally wrong with me having alcohol in my vehicle, whether it be a boat or car? I won't argue with the truck or train, as those are completely different scenarios. One should not carry alcohol in a business vehicle. Where I work there are rules against that.

Again, the vehicle (my personal vehicle) is being used as transportation. It is perfectly legal. Alcohol is perfectly legal to purchase, transport and even drink. I know that is hard to believe, but it is still legal to drink alcohol. The horror.
If it was morally wrong for me to carry alcohol in my car, how would I get it home from the store?
If it was morally wrong for me to carry alcohol in my boat, how would I get it to my island home (if I had an island home for example)? How would I get it from my lakefront home, to a friends house where I was staying the night?

If alcohol was not morally acceptable, how would I drink the blessed sacrament in church?

Seriously APS, alcohol is legal and morally accepted by most people.

Let me give you one scenario here. I was driving home from work one Friday, and stopped to pick up a 30 pack to enjoy over the weekend, perhaps with some friends. While driving home from the store, I was pulled over for speeding. Other than a speeding ticket, what am I being charged with for transporting the alcohol to my house? What do my neighbors think of me for bringing home some beer...in my car?
Pineedles (03-24-2010), Resident 2B (03-24-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #987
fatlazyless

Quote:
What is so morally wrong with me having alcohol in my vehicle, whether it be a boat or car?
For a moral opinion....talk to your moral adviser, ....for a legal opinion....New Hampshire has a state statute commonly known as the "open container law" which outlaws an open alcoholic beverage to be within the vehicle while on the road, and means an open beer can, wine bottle, liquor bottle with its' cork, tab, screw top, etc., being removed.

Understand you can purchase facsimile faux cans of soda that look like Coke or Pepsi that fit over a beer can and presumably disquise the open beer from the eyes of law enforcement but not necessarily from their noses.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #988
secondcurve

Quote:
What is so morally wrong with me having alcohol in my vehicle, whether it be a boat or car? I won't argue with the truck or train, as those are completely different scenarios. One should not carry alcohol in a business vehicle. Where I work there are rules against that.

Again, the vehicle (my personal vehicle) is being used as transportation. It is perfectly legal. Alcohol is perfectly legal to purchase, transport and even drink. I know that is hard to believe, but it is still legal to drink alcohol. The horror.
If it was morally wrong for me to carry alcohol in my car, how would I get it home from the store?
If it was morally wrong for me to carry alcohol in my boat, how would I get it to my island home (if I had an island home for example)? How would I get it from my lakefront home, to a friends house where I was staying the night?

If alcohol was not morally acceptable, how would I drink the blessed sacrament in church?

Seriously APS, alcohol is legal and morally accepted by most people.

Let me give you one scenario here. I was driving home from work one Friday, and stopped to pick up a 30 pack to enjoy over the weekend, perhaps with some friends. While driving home from the store, I was pulled over for speeding. Other than a speeding ticket, what am I being charged with for transporting the alcohol to my house? What do my neighbors think of me for bringing home some beer...in my car?

Chip:

She killed someone and she was drunk based upon scientific evidence, as APS aptly notes above. While the jury didn't find her guilty on two of the three charges, they didn't find her innocent either. The jury did find her guilty of negligently operating her boat.

The sentencing will be interesting. My guess is that the judge will go heavy on the jail time given that he likely wasn't fooled by Blizzard's slick attorney.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #989
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default On board??

Quote:
1) Would you support a revocation of this captain's boating certificate?

2) If so—keeping in mind the summons-penalties—for how long?

2) To ask the Union Leader's headline-question again:

Keep in mind the following FACTS:

3) To the well-being of our fellow boaters, passengers and shoreline dwellers—while burdened with a Captain's responsibility, every one of us owes the highest and most-rigid of standards.

IMHO
APS, I will be completely honest and say that 95% of the times that my boat is on the water, there is alcohol on board. I will also tell you that 100% of the time the operator is sober.

You seem to have focused on the "on board" part. Standards should not include (or in this place preclude) what can be carried onboard a boat, tractor trailer or automobile.

Please understand I have no tolerance for drunk operators. I think Ms. Blizzard got off easy legally.

A good operator is a good operator and what he/she carries on board will not change that. Of course, the opposite is true.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #990
NoBozo

Quote:
Understand you can purchase facsimile faux cans of soda that look like Coke or Pepsi that fit over a beer can and presumably disquise the open beer from the eyes of law enforcement but not necessarily from their noses.
I Had NO IDEA about such an option. Never heard of such a thing. No need to. SO How would YOU know such things....?? Just wondering...???.............. NB
Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #991
fatlazyless

...faux, slip-over disquiser cans?.....by reading about them in this forum.....like where else? ...and no doubt available on the internet. Ever notice how law enforcement tends to sniff beverage containers during traffic stops as they know about all the tricks...
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #992
OCDACTIVE

There hasn't been one substantial post regarding the case, in hand, in days.. Perhaps someone should start a alcohol and boating thread so that the continuous conjecture can stop.

There is nothing more that can be said that hasn't been said already until April 21st. So lets have some respect for everyone involved and move the conversation elsewhere.
LIforrelaxin (03-24-2010), Phantom (03-25-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #993
NoBozo

Quote:
...faux, slip-over disquiser cans?.....by reading about them in this forum.....like where else? ...and no doubt available on the internet. Ever notice how law enforcement tends to sniff beverage containers during traffic stops as they know about all the tricks...
NOPE: Can't say I have ever noticed law enforcement "Sniffing' beverage containers during traffic stops. Havn't been in a Traffic Stop since I was a teenager...maybe around 1961 or so. Maybe I need to get Stopped to get up to date. NB
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #994
sa meredith

Default well then

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
There hasn't been one substantial post regarding the case, in hand, in days.. Perhaps someone should start a alcohol and boating thread so that the continuous conjecture can stop.

There is nothing more that can be said that hasn't been said already until April 21st. So lets have some respect for everyone involved and move the conversation elsewhere.
I would take issue with your statement...
I posed what I thought a very legit question.
And so, I ask you....
I've read many of your posts, and clearly you are a skilled/experienced boater. So tell me...under what circumstances, would you travel, at night, at 18MPH, in zero visibility, in a non emergency situation?
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
jeffk (03-29-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #995
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
I would take issue with your statement...
I posed what I thought a very legit question.
And so, I ask you....
I've read many of your posts, and clearly you are a skilled/experienced boater. So tell me...under what circumstances, would you travel, at night, at 18MPH, in zero visibility, in a non emergency situation?
Start a new thread and I will be happy to answer night driving questions, my habits etc.

Also it was not directed at you.. I have found this thread has become offensive in many posts (not yours) to those partys involved on both sides. Every bit of evidence that has been brought to light as been discussed, elaborated on, even speculated on to no ends.

To continue to discuss other issues under this topic in my opinion is disrespectful to the families and we should let it rest until there is any more information or news brought to light.

But again if you want to discuss night driving or alcohol in boats I would be more then happy to discuss my views and safety on the lake at your convenience. Just in a different thread.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #996
sunset on the dock

Looks like someone thinks speed limits on our highways aren't necessary either. If I were writing a book I couldn't even dream this stuff up!

From Laconia Citizen.....citizen.com

Laconia:
Blizzard cited for going 84 mph while talking on cell phone
Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #997
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Looks like someone thinks speed limits on our highways aren't necessary either. If I were writing a book I couldn't even dream this stuff up!

From Laconia Citizen.....citizen.com

Laconia:
Blizzard cited for going 84 mph while talking on cell phone
Link to the story:
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...607/-1/CITIZEN
Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 AM   #998
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Start a new thread and I will be happy to answer night driving questions, my habits etc.

Also it was not directed at you.. I have found this thread has become offensive in many posts (not yours) to those partys involved on both sides. Every bit of evidence that has been brought to light as been discussed, elaborated on, even speculated on to no ends.

To continue to discuss other issues under this topic in my opinion is disrespectful to the families and we should let it rest until there is any more information or news brought to light.

But again if you want to discuss night driving or alcohol in boats I would be more then happy to discuss my views and safety on the lake at your convenience. Just in a different thread.
OCDACTIVE:

It looks like there is some new information on Blizzard. Care to comment? Clearly she is a menace not only on our waterways but on our roadways. I'm sure it wasn't her fault maybe her gas pedal was defective like all those Toyota's. I think if I were her I'd also change my vanity plate, but that is just me.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (03-25-2010)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #999
steadyon

Unbelievable!!!
I am glad that she didn't run the cop down!
clearly she has a problem with obeying the laws.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #1000
fatlazyless

"XTREME" is her New Hampshire vanity license plate according to the news report in the Citizen on a large GM suv and it came close to hitting the state trooper who jumped out of the way as she was 84-mph and texting on a cell phone. If this saga becomes a Hollywood movie, me-thinks that Julia Roberts could be an excellent actress in character to portray Erica.

....talk about bad timing what with the recent court verdict, the Belknap County Prosecutor, the Belknap County Superior Court Judge, the New Hampshire State Trooper, the local news press, the public interest, and poor Erica and her defense attorney......sounds like it's definately ready to roll....and coming soon...to a movie theatre near you....