Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Saw a great bonehead move yesterday

The drawings are not to scale and the vectors are relative to each boat's motion.

I'm in boat A, I am standing-on for boat B who has adjusted his speed and course well in advance to give-way and pass behind me. Along comes Boat C, he clearly has to give-way to boat B, and should endeavor to pass me port to port. All he needs to do is steer to starboard a little, as shown by the arrow, and he'll pass well behind boat B. Any guesses at what the captain of Boat C does?

The yellow arrows indicate what actually transpired. Boat C decides to go between boats A and B. This makes me, in boat A, change course radically to starboard to maintain 150' separation from boat C (I actually changed course enough to allow boat C to turn to port even harder in order to maintain 150' separation from boat B as well, even though he did not). Boat B had to slow to a near stop and turn 90 degrees to starboard to avoid a collision and Boat C simply cruises on by with 30 feet to spare from boat B, without changing course or speed.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default they were out there

Yesterday on our way back to the dock at Parker's, we were on a track from Rattlesnake to Little Mark, to pass close to the markers, because I try to keep to the right returning into the bay.

One, as in one, as in 1, boat coming out, in the middle of the bay between the markers and the east shore of the bay. I'm about a quarter of a mile or so from the markers, again going to hug the markers going by, with no boats anywhere near close behind me.

I said to my wife,"want to bet he turns left in front of us?", but she being a woman of sound mind, declined the bet, and well she should.

He turned to his left and cut across my bow, causing me to turn to my left, albeit not sharply (I was only doing about 22 MPH per GPS). Had he passed port to port, we both would have had good angles for riding over the wake and he would not have been delayed.

If nothing else, Captain Boneheads help make conversation between a couple that's been married for almost 40 years!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
caloway

Default Winner for the weekend

Yours is pretty good, but I think I have the winner for the weekend:

It was the end of the day coming through the bridge at Weirs. The channel was PACKED going both ways. A guy ahead of me needed to get into Thurstons. To do that he swung wide into oncoming traffic and then turned toward Thurstons.

His bow wasn't where he wanted it to be, so he threw it into reverse (while on the wrong side) to swing the stern around ?!? At this point, he was totally blocking all traffic. The girl at the marina noticed and waved him off telling him to circle around Paugus and come back.

He then put it in gear, turned port, swung wide and slowed to drift a bit next to the rocks south of the marina. Too close. He nailed the rocks and the engine stopped with a nasty clunk.

He eventually got it going, but I wouldn't want to see the bill for that lower unit.
Attached Images

caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
chipj29

I saw a pretty good one as well. I was in a somewhat narrow area (600-700' wide) heading north. There was an anchored boat with kids swimming off of it roughly 300' from the west shore, which left about 300-400' to the east. Since there were swimmers, a boat at anchor, and relatively close proximity to shore, I came off plane and went to go by on the wide side at no wake. As I was putting by, a boat was approaching from the opposite direction. He decides to split the distance between the anchored boat and me. He was about 100' from each of us. To his credit, he did slow down. To his discredit, he went by at just about optimal plowing speed, creating a giant wake. Didn't bother me, but I felt bad for the people on the anchored boat, as they got tossed around pretty good. Why even bother?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Dave R

I witnessed two boats trying to turn around in between two Wolfeboro town docks at the same time, one clockwise and one counter-clockwise. They ended up with both boats 90 degrees to the docks and very close to eachother and a parked boat. The ensuing shifter/throttle/wheel thrashing and human fender work was quite impressive. I did not see any boat to boat contact.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
jrc

I encounter a lot of "Boat C" guys.

My pet peeve (I have a lot of them) is boats coming almost head on, but at a slight angle. They just will not yield to their right. If you can see my bow and I can see yours, bear a little to the right.

More often then not, I bear to the right, the oncoming boat see me turn and then bears harder to his left, trying to pass in front on me, finally I have to stop and let him pass.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
momof3

Default I feel like a bonehead

I try to be very aware of the boating rules/laws on the lake. I have to say there are many times I am doing the right thing and some bonehead is doing the wrong thing and to avoid a disaster I manuever in such a way that I end up looking like a bonehead.
What do you do in these situations???? So many people just do what they want with no regard.
Example, heading in Friday evening I pass Eagle Island on my right, come out of the no wake zone, head towards the weirs channel, their is a small rental boat (it says rental on the side) on the wrong side of marker at FL1, he notices the marker, he is on my left and then decides to turn the boat in front of me, what do you do?????
I end up being flustered and am sure i look like a bonehead!
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3 View Post
I try to be very aware of the boating rules/laws on the lake. I have to say there are many times I am doing the right thing and some bonehead is doing the wrong thing and to avoid a disaster I manuever in such a way that I end up looking like a bonehead.
What do you do in these situations???? So many people just do what they want with no regard.
Example, heading in Friday evening I pass Eagle Island on my right, come out of the no wake zone, head towards the weirs channel, their is a small rental boat (it says rental on the side) on the wrong side of marker at FL1, he notices the marker, he is on my left and then decides to turn the boat in front of me, what do you do?????
Your description makes it sound like the rental boater is plainly at fault. Anyone who understands boating rules that witnessed that situation would have to conclude the rental is captained by a bonehead because he was on the wrong side of the marker and then created a collision course situation with you off your port bow.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
sa meredith

Default black spar

Quote:
It seems like everyone cuts that black tip spar near FL1 on the wrong side.
Very common.....is there even a hazzard there?

As an aside, on weekends, I always operate with the assumption the other guy has no idea what he is doing. Very defensive, I know...but weekends are tough.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
ApS

Post It's a Weekend...

Quote:
"...(it says rental on the side) on the wrong side of marker at FL1...I end up being flustered and am sure i look like a bonehead...!"
Many cottage rentals begin and end on a Saturday.

The renters are usually unpacking and relaxing lakeside on Saturday, and may not pick up their rental boats until Sunday. I'd guess most are totally unfamiliar with their rental boat and, if from out of the state, are also unfamiliar with the "Unsafe Passage" rule. My abutting three-in-a-row rental cottages have all been "one-week-rentals", with most having the same brand of boat.

This one brand of boat is a brand unnoticed previously by me. Nearly all have an inventory number on the right transom. All are white in color. (Hint: the brand begins with the letter "E").

You're not the only one flustered: Sometimes, to avoid a swamping from an oversized wake, I've had to turn 180° right away to avoid becoming a flush-to-the-gunwhales speed bump.

While I'm not really 100% comforted with others' observance of the 150' rule—and that my sailboat nearly always has the right of way—it can still make for a flustering day for me and for others.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
jrc

from memory, the hazard there is that it's too shallow for the Mount Washington. I've been on the wrong side once before, looks sandy and a deep enough for most small craft. I always avoid the area just because I don't know.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
It seems like everyone cuts that black tip spar near FL1 on the wrong side.
Very common.....is there even a hazzard there?
No hazard at all sa.I do it all the time and never worry with my 1 ft draft.That whole area is app.6 ft in depth minimum so it is marked accordingly.It is a little unerving though seeing the bottom at speed!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
6meter

FL1 to me means nothing in my 20 footer. As are many markers in the lake. Yes one can see bottom at points, sand. Several are just for the Mount.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
rick35

Default "...the other guy has no idea what he's doing..."

I think that quote from sa meredith sums it up. This is our third week on the lake this summer and just about every time we've gone out in the boat we witness at least one bonehead move. Most of the time its been between the Cattle Landing and Dolly. You can't do enough to make yourself safe out there. I usually hug the red markers heading north to Browns but no matter how far over I go there seems to always be someone who wants to push me over even further. Heading south its even worse as we hug the Cattle Landing side but have to cross over to Bear. Its about time they make the south end of the neck no wake. Either that or park a MP out there. They'll could pay their yearly salaries in fines in one weekend. And then there was last Friday night around 11pm when I was passed from behind well within 50 feet near Timber. That was pretty unsettling to see someone that close come out of the darkness. Was it a planned move or did he not see me until he was almost on me. Either way it makes you worry about the next night time trip.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
Most of the time its been between the Cattle Landing and Dolly. You can't do enough to make yourself safe out there. I usually hug the red markers heading north to Browns but no matter how far over I go there seems to always be someone who wants to push me over even further. Heading south its even worse as we hug the Cattle Landing side but have to cross over to Bear. Its about time they make the south end of the neck no wake.
I almost never go on that side of Bear on weekends. If you stay on east side and pass west between Bear and Mark, there's usually no hassle, no boneheads and no need to come off plane. To me, it's the same as the Pitchwood vs. Eagle route to Weirs Beach from the east. Hardly anyone goes the long way, so there's usually there's no hassles when you do. I can't imagine opting to go through a busy no-wake when there's an on-plane route with little traffic a 1/4 mile or less away, but most people do. I used to do it before the NWZ at Eagle existed, just to avoid the washing machine effect there.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
VtSteve

I usually went the Pitchwood route, and many times, I'd go through the Gut just to avoid it all. The Bear/Neck hassle has been there forever, nothing new. It gets far worse when people come off plane all at once and start plowing. Now you have all that boat wash to go through in addition to everything else. There's always a plus and minus to everything, and that's the downside to having a lot of islands.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
alsadad

Default Speechless

I witnessed a Capt Bonehead move that left me speechless on Sunday. I had to have my boat towed from Braun Bay to Thurstons. (Aside: thank goodness I signed up just this year for BoatUS unlimited towing.) Fortunately it turned out to be a minor problem. My son was with me in the boat while being towed. We were headed west about a quarter of a mile from the Eagle/Governors NWZ. A large cruiser had approached from astern, somewhat to port. Because of our position and oncoming traffic exiting the NWZ, that captain had appropriately slowed to our speed since he was little more than 150 feet away with no way to get around us without violating the 150 foot rule. I felt bad for him but certainly appreciated his courtesy. Suddenly a 26 or 28 foot cruiser traveling at probably 25 mph or so, and throwing off a large wake, wove between the other cruiser and my boat, passing me no more than 30 feet to port, then continued on past the tow boat and turned sharply to starboard cutting across the tow boat’s bow no more than 30 or 40 feet in front of him. I really regret that it happened so fast that I was unable to get bow numbers or a name, and the tow boat operator had his hands full just making sure that neither of us was swamped. I am not a violent man, but I’d love to meet up with that nitwit again.

By the way, I would like to commend Tow Boat US and Chandler for prompt and skilled assistance.
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
VtSteve

We have a large amount of cruisers that all seem to share the propensity for always moving forward at a 25 to 30 mph speed regardless of what's in front of them. I just assume that they are all too bothered to slow down and have to get those bathtubs up to plane again. It's always fun when four of five of them leave narrower sections at once, their wakes threatening everything in their path ahead and behind
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-19-2009)
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #19
ApS

Question Paying to be Arrogant...

I frequent a forum-website for cruisers. (Though not all members own real cruisers).

While most declare themselves thoughtful and considerate, I recall one comment regarding their wakes in narrow spaces...to the effect:

Quote:
"...I pay a lot of money for my cruising. Fishermen should go somewhere else to fish..."

Last edited by ApS; 09-21-2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: change "not members all" to "not all members"
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #20
VtSteve

Default Have to take it

If there's one thing that holds true for super market parking lots, interstates, and virtually all waterways, is that arrogance is a trait that will always be there to some extent. The only thing that can change "some" is discussion. Some people really are unaware that their actions are perceived as such. Yes, many don't really care

I've always been a little hyper sensitive to my actions on the lake, and I'm the first one to get mad if I make a bonehead move. I want to do it right. It's all a matter of perspective. I get cut off in and just out of the NWZ channel by more sailboats than anyone else. These are boats larger than mine, and Under Power. I find that generally, there are equally high percentages of arrogant sail boaters as cruiser owners. Same size and class of boat here, so maybe some just don't like buying gas. But many of these "sailors" have the same Get Out Of My Way attitude as the cruisers. Reading this forum is a window of real life on the lake. If you catch my drift
Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #21
Orion

Default routine bonehead activity

There is a daily display of bonehead boating at a girls camp in Moultonborough Bay. They have a waterskiing boat that the girls gueue up to get towed behind. They are on a raft waiting their turn with two more girls in the water who apparently will be next. The tow boat comes around on full plane within 50 feet of the waiting swimmers and drops off the person being towed. I had a good view of the distances as they did this once with me sailing by only 150 feet from the raft and the towboat splitting that distance by coming between me and the raft. I couldn't believe my eyes. I watched for a while as I sailed off and they repeated that drop-off exercise with the same close drive-by's. Glad my daughter is not staying at that camp!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
There is a daily display of bonehead boating at a girls camp in Moultonborough Bay. They have a waterskiing boat that the girls gueue up to get towed behind. They are on a raft waiting their turn with two more girls in the water who apparently will be next. The tow boat comes around on full plane within 50 feet of the waiting swimmers and drops off the person being towed. I had a good view of the distances as they did this once with me sailing by only 150 feet from the raft and the towboat splitting that distance by coming between me and the raft. I couldn't believe my eyes. I watched for a while as I sailed off and they repeated that drop-off exercise with the same close drive-by's. Glad my daughter is not staying at that camp!
Seems like the camps favors every boating laws in on the books. And still 'screams' that the lake is still unsafe. Yet a good example of what they have been doing......
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #23
dpg

I wonder who came up with the name capt Bonehead, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #24
knowit

On my little home lake here ( Webster Lake Webster Ma) we just refer to them as "the idiots".

Ex. After a fourth of July tubing trip with the family, I was on the dock talking with some workers of the marina. The conversation went something like this: Yes, real nice day out there, lots of boats, and all "the idiots" were out too.

Enough said.

One of my favorite things to do is to drive over to the public launch ramp on a Sunday afternoon and watch all " the idiots" try to get thier boats back on the trailer. Great fun. I sat and watched for almost three hours one day.
Wish I brought my camera. Oh the stuff I saw.
knowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #25
Kracken

Default Sandy Point Marker

It seems most people do not know what to do at the Sandy Point black spar marker. 95% of boaters seem to pass it on the east. While that is ok to do it’s also ok to pass it on the west.

I say this because last week I had 2 Captain Bonehead incidents there.

1. A boat was approaching me from behind while I was heading into my dock. I came off plain and turned east just as he was about to break the 150 ft rule. He then passed me within 30 feet doing 40 or so.
2. I was pulling a tuber along the east shore of the bay (about 200 feet from shore) when a rental boat heading south east, also pulling a tuber was trying to pinch to the east of the marker. Once I determined they were not going to turn away I came to off plain and started to turn to starboard to give them even more room to maneuver. To my surprise the boat and tuber passed to my starboard side between me and the shore.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowit View Post
On my little home lake here ( Webster Lake Webster Ma) we just refer to them as "the idiots".

That would be the one that's also known as Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, right?
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #27
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I wonder who came up with the name capt Bonehead, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Maybe because a more fitting name would cause banishment by the Webmaster in this family oriented forum.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #28
upthesaukee

Wink Upon further research

Quote:
After an exhausting search on Google, I have found a definition of "bonehead":

bone⋅head /ˈboʊnˌhɛd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bohn-hed] Show IPA Slang.

Use bonehead in a Sentence

See web results for bonehead

See images of bonehead

–noun
1.a foolish or stupid person; blockhead.

–adjective
2.being of, by, or for a stupid or unthinking person: a bonehead mistake.

Origin:
1905–10, Americanism; bone1 + head

I am supposing that in order to more closely define our bonehead examples and limit them to nautical instances, and whereas the one who is operating or in charge of said operation of a boat is often referred to as the Captain of said boat, and whereas that Captain, when found to be operating a boat or allowing said boat to be operated in a foolish, or unthinking, or stupid manner, could be considered a bonehead, it is perhaps appropriate to refer to said Captain with all the respect that is due to him and therefore refer to him/her as Captain Bonehead.

I guess we could have a poll to determine if this highly sought after title is indeed appropriate.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #29
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Who promoted Mr Bonehead to Captain ?

Quote:
Yeah ! That guy musta been a real bonehead.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ehead#post5876
Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
jrc

Well according to Archie, Michael was a meathead because he was "dead from the neck up"

My extrapolation is that a bonehead is bone from the neck up. No brains in his skull, just solid block of bone.

Last edited by jrc; 08-26-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: I'm a spelling and grammar bonehead
Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #31
jonfinn

Quote:

Ex. After a fourth of July tubing trip with the family, I was on the dock talking with some workers of the marina. The conversation went something like this: Yes, real nice day out there, lots of boats, and all "the idiots" were out too.

Enough said.

One of my favorite things to do is to drive over to the public launch ramp on a Sunday afternoon and watch all " the idiots" try to get thier boats back on the trailer. Great fun. I sat and watched for almost three hours one day.
Wish I brought my camera. Oh the stuff I saw.
When I was a beginner, there were always people watching and laughing at me when I made mistakes. And yes, I made plenty. Occasionally, someone would offer to help when it was clear that I was in "over my head." I always appreciated it when offered. Maybe there's another way to learn this stuff that I don't know about. But for me, experience was/is the best teacher.

These days, if there's a beginner at the ramp, I either leave them alone, or offer to help depending on what seems best. But that's just me.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #32
knowit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
That would be the one that's also known as Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, right?
Yes it is. Feels like being in bath tub after spending two weeks on Winni.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #33
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Boat launch

Knowit has revealed a great source of entertainment. Forget about the ball game.....pack a lunch and go hang out at any of the busy boat ramps and you won't be disappointed. It's so much fun to watch people become frantic as they screw up the launch or recover their boat as other boaters pile up behind them. Jackknifed trailers, forgotten plugs, lower units not lifted, tie downs not removed ....it's all there. Occasionally, someone actually misses the ramp and runs the trailer up over a wall, nearly overturning the boat. I guess it seems a little twisted that people would be entertained by someones misfortune but, after all...........we've all been there.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #34
knowit

It's a guilty pleasure for sure.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #35
zantheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Knowit has revealed a great source of entertainment. Forget about the ball game.....pack a lunch and go hang out at any of the busy boat ramps and you won't be disappointed. It's so much fun to watch people become frantic as they screw up the launch or recover their boat as other boaters pile up behind them. Jackknifed trailers, forgotten plugs, lower units not lifted, tie downs not removed ....it's all there. Occasionally, someone actually misses the ramp and runs the trailer up over a wall, nearly overturning the boat. I guess it seems a little twisted that people would be entertained by someones misfortune but, after all...........we've all been there.
I have an aquaintence who works at a marina with a ramp and he says he's never seen an activity that causes as many fights between couples as simply lauching and retrieving a boat.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
zantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #36
ApS

Red face Smilie Needed...

Quote:
On my little home lake here...we just refer to them as "the idiots".
We need to clear up the definitions between "an idiot" and "a Cap'n 'B'".

Yesterday, an all-white 26' Searay sped past me at high velocity (though it could have been an "Ebbtide" hinted-at previously.).

Between two opposing navigational markers, this speedster then did counter-clockwise "donuts"—SIX OF THEM! He then started to go clockwise, but thought better of it and stopped altogether.

Does a Cap'n "B" label require interaction among other boats? Or just idiocy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Maybe because a more fitting name would cause banishment by the Webmaster in this family oriented forum.
Hold that thought, RISY!

Don needs a Smilie for that—how about this one?
http://tinyurl.com/me4bsv

Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #37
Jonas Pilot

Default Fight saver!

A couple of years ago I had launched before sunrise. I was done fishing and returned to the launch around 10:30. An elderly couple was launching their boat and I helped them put it in. In the middle of the afternoon I went back to the ramp to swim my Lab. As luck would have it this was right when the couple were returning . I helped them take the boat out. The wife thanked me and whispered, "You saved me from two fights today"!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Drummer Girl (08-29-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #38
NHskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantheman View Post
I have an aquaintence who works at a marina with a ramp and he says he's never seen an activity that causes as many fights between couples as simply lauching and retrieving a boat.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

When my wife and I decided to get into boating 4 years ago it was with the clear understanding that we would NEVER trailer our boat. We had more than enough fun years ago with our pop-up camper.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #39
upthesaukee

Default Have you ever noticed...

...that the time when you will have the most trouble launching or recovering your boat, is when there is a crowd to watch you!

In this case, a crowd would be defined as 1 or more bystanders.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #40
Just Sold

Default Not Only On Winni

Capt. Bonehead was on Swains Lake in Barrington yesterday.

While out on my friends 20' pontoon boat yesterday afternoon we were passed well within 75' by 3 other boats crusing above no-wake speed. Not excessive speeds but I would estimate they were doing between 25 and 35 MPH. We were cruising at a slow speed of about 15 to 20 but the boat is not equipped with a speedo so I cannot be positive.

The lake was not very crowded with boats either and there were a number Kayaks out as well.

No MP was around but they have not been seen on the lake much this summer anyway. My friend has noted that the captain boneheads have been increasing over the past few years on Swains.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #41
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Capt. Bonehead was on Swains Lake in Barrington yesterday.

While out on my friends 20' pontoon boat yesterday afternoon we were passed well within 75' by 3 other boats crusing above no-wake speed. Not excessive speeds but I would estimate they were doing between 25 and 35 MPH. We were cruising at a slow speed of about 15 to 20 but the boat is not equipped with a speedo so I cannot be positive.

The lake was not very crowded with boats either and there were a number Kayaks out as well.

No MP was around but they have not been seen on the lake much this summer anyway. My friend has noted that the captain boneheads have been increasing over the past few years on Swains.
From my perspective, pretty much all the smaller lakes are like this. People are just used to it and hardly anyone really cares. I saw it happen constantly on Bow lake over 4th of July weekend, 2005, in front of Marine Patrol. You see it all the time on Pawtuckaway too.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #42
SIKSUKR

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
From my perspective, pretty much all the smaller lakes are like this. People are just used to it and hardly anyone really cares. I saw it happen constantly on Bow lake over 4th of July weekend, 2005, in front of Marine Patrol. You see it all the time on Pawtuckaway too.
I grew up on the small Lake Baboosic in Merrimack and still have siblings in the same house.This behavior is accepted as normal and violations from a technical standpoint are many.It really works fine though and does not feel dangerous at all.Before I started coming to Winni 20 years ago,I had never heard of the 150 ft rule.