Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
LakeTimes

Default Lakefront Rental to celebrate our Wedding

My Fiance and I are looking to get married up on the lake this summer. We are looking to rent a reasonably sized house and property for a week or so. We'd like to have a tent over a flat area to hold the reception. We already have the tent company, chair and table company, catering company etc. etc. all lined up. We will be the ballpark of between 100 and 140 people roughly. Our plan is to rent transportation to bring people from a designated parking area to the property for the ceremony, dinner etc. and back that evening/night for those that are not staying. Some people will be invited to stay over (bedrooms - aka parents, wedding party which will be small) and the rest can tent outside or stay in a nearby hotel or other accommodations. We'd like to get married and then spend the rest of the time there unwinding, relaxing and enjoying the beautiful lake (thinking probably 10 people or so for the week, but might be less).

I figured I'd post a message here in case anyone knows of or has a property that might fit what we are looking for. We currently are talking with the owners of a property in Wolfeboro, but are interested comparing other options as well.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Oliver's Lodge

On Meredith Neck will be your best bet! Honeymoon hideaway on a private island for a week!

http://www.oliverlodge.com/
LakeTimes (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

We often walk on Woodlands Road in West Alton and go by a place on a point that has a rental sign. I don't recall the name of the realtor. I think that this is the place:

https://www.vrbo.com/485221

Found it here by using the map view:
https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rental...202770508,13z/
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
LakeTimes (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
trashman

Default Olivers Lodge

Definitely Oliver's Lodge. They have a large compound on mainland, but the Beaver Island cottage they rent is a great spot!
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
.... We are looking to rent a reasonably sized house and property for a week or so.......We will be the ballpark of between 100 and 140 people roughly..... Some people will be invited to stay over .... and the rest can tent outside or stay in a nearby hotel
A rental property to handle that many people would have to have toilet facilities and properly sized septic system to handle that many people, unless you bring in Porta-potties. A surge in load from a crowd that large could be a problem otherwise. You ought to ask about that when checking out a place, and about any liability you may have if a problem results from overloading the system.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
My Fiance and I are looking to get married up on the lake this summer. We are looking to rent a reasonably sized house and property for a week or so. We'd like to have a tent over a flat area to hold the reception. We already have the tent company, chair and table company, catering company etc. etc. all lined up. We will be the ballpark of between 100 and 140 people roughly. Our plan is to rent transportation to bring people from a designated parking area to the property for the ceremony, dinner etc. and back that evening/night for those that are not staying. Some people will be invited to stay over (bedrooms - aka parents, wedding party which will be small) and the rest can tent outside or stay in a nearby hotel or other accommodations. We'd like to get married and then spend the rest of the time there unwinding, relaxing and enjoying the beautiful lake (thinking probably 10 people or so for the week, but might be less).

I figured I'd post a message here in case anyone knows of or has a property that might fit what we are looking for. We currently are talking with the owners of a property in Wolfeboro, but are interested comparing other options as well.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
This is even better than the guy wanting to rent out his cottage for a week in between all the rest of the family weeks.

Sounds simple until one gets into the minor details such as
1. If the property being rented is NOT a licensed commercial establishment allowed to host parties of this size, you will have to go to the town the property is located in and obtain a special events permit.
2. You will most likely have to hire at least one maybe two policemen for the duration of the party at the going rate of around $50 an hour per policeman.
3. Assuming the owner has their head screwed on correctly, they will require the following
A. A liability policy to the tune of a minimum of $2 million, plus a property destruction policy equal to the full value of the property and 100% of its contents.
B. There will be a clause limiting the number of people staying the night to two times the number of bedrooms. The septic system will be pumped before the weeks rental at your expense and again right after the week at your expense to insure that this limit was not exceeded and further should the system fail during the week the repairs will be on your dime.
C. To accommodate the 100- 140 people on the property for the wedding party you will need to bring in numerous porta potty units at your expense. The town will have a number of required units as per the number of attendees.
D. All vendors involved in catering the party, tent people, flowers, bands etc, will have to provide a copy of their individual insurance policies also with at least $2 milliuon in liability coverage. and a rider covering the property oqwner.
E. The rent for the week will be at a minimum $50 per person times the 140 people that will invade the property for the weekend plus the normal weekly rent in that area. Plus a damage deposit of $7,000 and a cleaning fee.
F. Approval of abutting property owners will be required in writing and it might be a great idea of they were invited to the party.
G. If there are any boats and swimming involved the liability policy amount may need to be doubled.

Now if you can secure a commercial property for a week, then you will pay the daily room rents for the number of rooms needed for the week plus at a minimum of $100 per guest for the wedding bash.

Good luck on this venture. I am sure I have missed at least twice the number of small details a wise property owner will want to allow this many people onto their property drinking adult beverages for a week end plus the preamble or after party..
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

AcrossAmerica:
I think you're way overthinking this. Anybody who has a suitable property is able to handle most of this. The rest? That's what wedding planners do.
We had a reception at our camp for my daughter's wedding, with over 100 people and enough large boats to transport everybody plus the caterer and staff. No permits, no cops, no trouble with the septic, no porta-potties. Lots and lots of fun.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (02-25-2017), LakeTimes (02-25-2017), MRD (02-24-2017), TiltonBB (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

It is interesting that Across America already knows the size of a liability policy required (if it is) the number of people that can sleep there (without knowing the property) and that the rent will be $50 per person. I wish I had that much advance knowledge about a property I knew nothing about. With that ability I could be a lottery winner! He even knows that you will have to (even though you won't) get the permission of the neighbors to have a wedding there! He even "knows" that the damage deposit will be $7,000. Wow!

In a previous post he claimed that if you wanted to rent your property for a week you "had to" provide wi-fi and big screen TV's. I guess I have a lot to learn. I didn't "know" any of those things and I have been renting out property since 1978.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (02-25-2017), LakeTimes (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
AcrossAmerica:
I think you're way overthinking this. Anybody who has a suitable property is able to handle most of this. The rest? That's what wedding planners do.
We had a reception at our camp for my daughter's wedding, with over 100 people and enough large boats to transport everybody plus the caterer and staff. No permits, no cops, no trouble with the septic, no porta-potties. Lots and lots of fun.
A. It was your camp not a rental and your daughter so I will assume you had control over the entire project. With a rental you have no control other than the details in writing.
B. You decided to self insure and got away with it. Most times this works but with a rental and people you have no idea about, stuff can happen and then skipping the "minor" details can bite you big time.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
It is interesting that Across America already knows the size of a liability policy required (if it is) the number of people that can sleep there (without knowing the property) and that the rent will be $50 per person. I wish I had that much advance knowledge about a property I knew nothing about. With that ability I could be a lottery winner! He even knows that you will have to (even though you won't) get the permission of the neighbors to have a wedding there! He even "knows" that the damage deposit will be $7,000. Wow!

In a previous post he claimed that if you wanted to rent your property for a week you "had to" provide wi-fi and big screen TV's. I guess I have a lot to learn. I didn't "know" any of those things and I have been renting out property since 1978.
Then I would highly recommend that you contact the OP and offer to rent your property to him for the wedding for 100 -140 people and give him a deal because that is what I read he is looking for. And forget all of the minor details because you have never had a problem.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
camp guy

Default Lakefront rental for a wedding

I think I come down on the Acrossamerica side of the fence. This is one of those situations in which if everything is fine then everything is fine, BUT, if something goes wrong, look out!, big trouble. When something goes wrong, all of a sudden the 'mood' changes, and people start looking for causes, reasons, and damages.

Insurance is something you really need to have, but hope you really never need it.

On a lighter note, congratulations, enjoy the day, the week, and the Lake.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #12
FlyingScot

Default Commercial site is best

I'm with All America too.

If the owner knows what you have in mind, he will come up with a prohibitive list of conditions. The sanitation issue is real.

If the owner does not know what you have in mind, and he finds out before, DURING(!), or after the party, you're in for a world of pain.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Rich

FYI, i watched a nice wedding or two at this home last season, they had a tent and it sounds very similar to what you are looking for:

http://www.lakesregionrentals.com/Unit/Details/109956

Also
http://winnipesaukeeretreat.com

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

If you have the right property there shouldn't be a problem. You obviously aren't going to have a wedding for 100 people at a 2 bedroom summer camp. There are some very large and private properties that I'm sure would be able to handle a crowd this size for a day. A friend of mine rents a waterfront house every season that's about 4000 sq ft and sleeps 4 families, a total of 20 people. It's owned by a bunch of investors. If you're renting out a house this size you're probable renting from a professional landlord and they will have all the paperwork and insurance issues ready. The majority of people that have a house like that are very wealthy and wouldn't rent them out.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
A rental property to handle that many people would have to have toilet facilities and properly sized septic system to handle that many people, unless you bring in Porta-potties. A surge in load from a crowd that large could be a problem otherwise. You ought to ask about that when checking out a place, and about any liability you may have if a problem results from overloading the system.
An organization I belong to was having a function where we anticipated around 100 people to attend. Our building does have rest rooms, but we ordered 2 Porta-Potties that were placed in our parking lot. We ordered them, not because we were worried about our septic, but rather to alleviate lines of people waiting to use the facilities. We were only having a light lunch, and no alcoholic beverages, but as happens often, once one person needs to "go" many others decide that would be a good idea. I believe it cost us $110 per unit delivered and picked up. I do recommend having a couple of units on site, placed out of the way but still convenient.
Good luck on your upcoming nuptials, and may your wedding day be bright and sunny.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LakeTimes (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
An organization I belong to was having a function where we anticipated around 100 people to attend. Our building does have rest rooms, but we ordered 2 Porta-Potties that were placed in our parking lot. We ordered them, not because we were worried about our septic, but rather to alleviate lines of people waiting to use the facilities. We were only having a light lunch, and no alcoholic beverages, but as happens often, once one person needs to "go" many others decide that would be a good idea. I believe it cost us $110 per unit delivered and picked up. I do recommend having a couple of units on site, placed out of the way but still convenient.
Good luck on your upcoming nuptials, and may your wedding day be bright and sunny.

This is a must with that many people.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
LakeTimes

Thank you for all the great replies and recommendations!

Regarding 'Across America's points - Believe you are mistaken but do appreciate someone that try's to follow every rule possibly known to mankind. Imagine you wont drive 66mph on the highway either?

Regarding needing policeman: I've never been to a wedding that requires policeman there. I've had family and friends throw very similar gatherings and none of what you brought up was needed. If you are correct, a typical wedding venue would have to require law enforcement as well since it is similar in size, yet I've never seen that.

Regarding the excellent point of portapotties. YES - you are correct. We already have 3 separate quotes for these. Even if it was a facility that was on city septic, I wouldn't want that many people using the facilities inside someone's home, so for us portapotties are mandatory.

Regarding liability - many rentals already have this in place. If someone has a home where they do not have proper liability insurance, we would be happy to cover the cost of that as well.

Again, thank you everyone for the comments, feedback, recommendations etc. Going to look into and inquire about all of them.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LakeTimes For This Useful Post:
Descant (02-25-2017), upthesaukee (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

If you get far enough along that you find that you do need porta-potties try Dave's Septic: https://davesseptic.net/
I have boat docks in Laconia that use one all season and a Bike Week parking lot that requires 2 porta-potties, dumped daily, and I have found them to be the least expensive.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote