Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
mr_searchlight

Default Recycling junk Computers

Is there a place in New Hampshire where you can recycle junk and non-working computer monitors (not flat panels but CRT's).

No fee would be the best option at the moment.

Thanks,

Bill
mr_searchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
RLW

Thumbs up

Ya whoo at the Alton Transfer station and there is no charge. I'm not sure about monitors as there is a $5 charge on small tv's. No charge for printers, fax machines or any type of office equipment.

Oh, I forgot to say to the forum and enjoy the friendship and help from the members.

Last edited by RLW; 10-04-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added Welcome
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Staples

Staples stores usually can accomodate you, but they did charge $10 per computer, and $10 for a monitor. They are truly recycled, going to a place that separates metals, plastics, hazardous materials etc. .

Alton transfer station is for Alton Residents only, and you may have to pay a $5-10 fee, if you are a resident.

Finally, welcome to the Forum.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Argie's Wife

NH Dept of Environmental Services has quite a list online:
http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis..._recyclers.htm
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
codeman671

My company is on the NH DES list. We accept all types of electronics however do charge for CRT monitors and TV's. We are located in Milton, NH right off Route 16/125.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
AC2717

I am sure FLL has a use for it

I am just joking Love ya FLL
Old 10-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I am sure FLL has a use for it

I am just joking Love ya FLL

This is my favorite idea for recycling a CRT monitor (and you do it with an old iMac, too....)

Yup... it's a fishbowl....
Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
@thelake

Default FREE e-waste recycling @ Mall of NH (Manchester) 10/8/11

http://www.smalldog.com/ewastenh

Saturday, October 8th
Mall of New Hampshire
1500 South Willow Street, Manchester, NH
Food Court Parking Area
9:00AM–2:00PM

Keep hazardous materials out of our landfills: recycle your old, broken, and obsolete electronics for FREE on October 8th at the Small Dog Electronics eWaste Recycling Event! This year's event will be held in the parking lot outside the food court at the Mall of New Hampshire in Manchester, NH from 9-2pm.

All of the ewaste collected will be processed in the US by WeRecycle. A small percentage of the ewaste can be salvaged intact, though elements such as tin, copper, silicon, beryllium, carbon, iron, aluminum will be broken down to be reused in other electronics. (Generally non-toxic materials such as plastic, steel and glass will also be recycled.) ALL electronic data is securely destroyed.

ACCEPTED MATERIALS: Computer Systems and Accessories, including
■CRT Monitors
■LCD Displays
■Laptops
Televisions
■DVDs
■VCRs
■Stereos
and much more...

I have no affiliation with this company...that wants to take my hazardous trash for free
@thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to @thelake For This Useful Post:
SteveA (10-11-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Ditto for old style tv's too when trying to discard it. As some unknown number of local residents switch from their old tv's to new flat screens, there's probably a pretty good number of usable old tv's that have no local market. None of the local thrift stores like St Vincent's, next to Laconia McDonald's, will accept old tv's anymore probably because they have experienced there's just no demand for them.

Anyone know if the Meredith transfer station's free store will accept working tv's.....what the heck.....they are working tv's and someone could be putting them to use? Not everone wants to go spend $350 for a new 32" flat screen when the old tv's work super-duper and cost maybe $20, or are free at the free store.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
codeman671

If it is a tv or CRT and it works- Freecycle it! We just got rid of a 32" crt tv at home that we havent used in ages on freecycle. It worked fine, we simply had no need for it. I had plenty of inquiries on it and it was gone in one hour.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
fatlazyless

And, how does someone in Meredith with two perfectly good, 3-year old, 21" tv's go about free-cycling them?

Was planning to place them at the Meredith transfer free store with a note attached; "finest working tv ever built, and yes, this works perfect!"

Will freecycle take a 15' 1972 Starcraft boat with no outboard that's perfect as an island utility launch?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Argie's Wife

The way Freecycle works is you join a local network and offer something for free in a post - much like this forum. When someone accepts your offer and picks it up from you, then you are eligible to take someone else up on a free offer. In other words, you have to pay it forward first before you can take something. There's no employees, charge for the service, or whatever. It's all free.

http://www.freecycle.org/
Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
The way Freecycle works is you join a local network and offer something for free in a post - much like this forum. When someone accepts your offer and picks it up from you, then you are eligible to take someone else up on a free offer. In other words, you have to pay it forward first before you can take something. There's no employees, charge for the service, or whatever. It's all free.

http://www.freecycle.org/
Not quite true. You can offer items out, or offer to take items at any time. You don't have to do both. Once you are on the broadcast, you see the offers or wanteds coming across with email addresses tied to them. It is simply a broadcast service. No "paying it forward" required.

It is basically a Yahoo group, set up in various locales. I see the Exeter, Dover, and Rochester lists.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Argie's Wife

Perhaps the "give before you take" rule applied when I became a member about 6 or 7 years ago?

Anyhow, that was the standard then... I think it was to keep people from taking items and then selling them on eBay, which is a subject that comes up from time to time on the boards. Members are sorta "blacklisted" for doing that kinds of thing - it's a big no-no.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default recycle.org

help recycle to students and non-profits.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:38 AM   #16
TheProfessor

In theory working items should go to people who can still use them. If that is accomplished then great for all.

Sadly, many end up on the streets of India and Bangladesh with adults and children disassembling them for precious metals and openly burning rest.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
mr_searchlight

Thank you all for all the replies. Great group here of knowledgeable Lakes Regionites!

Can't make the Saturday drop off as I have to work my 2nd job.

Do they do this often?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by @thelake View Post

Saturday, October 8th
Mall of New Hampshire
Food Court Parking Area

Keep hazardous materials out of our landfills: recycle your old, broken, and obsolete electronics for FREE on October 8th at the Small Dog Electronics eWaste Recycling Event! This year's event will be held in the parking lot outside the food court at the Mall of New Hampshire in Manchester, NH from 9-2pm.

All of the ewaste collected will be processed in the US by WeRecycle. A small percentage of the ewaste can be salvaged intact, though elements such as tin, copper, silicon, beryllium, carbon, iron, aluminum will be broken down to be reused in other electronics. (Generally non-toxic materials such as plastic, steel and glass will also be recycled.) ALL electronic data is securely destroyed.

■CRT Monitors
■LCD Displays
■Laptops
Televisions
■DVDs
■VCRs
■Stereos
and much more...

I have no affiliation with this company...that wants to take my hazardous trash for free
mr_searchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
CrawfordCentury

http://www.newportcomputers.com/abou...hat-we-do.aspx
Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Best Buy?

Not sure if they still do, but it used to be that Best Buy would charge you something like $15 each for monitors, but would give you a $15 gift card in return. I think you can do 2 or 3 at once. They also used to accept other electronics either at no charge or give you a gift card equal to the charge.

Worth giving them a call.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @thelake View Post

Saturday, October 8th
Mall of New Hampshire
Food Court Parking Area

■CRT Monitors
■LCD Displays
■Laptops
Televisions
■DVDs
■VCRs
■Stereos
and much more...

Thanks for this post! I took advantage of this event and took 4 old computers, 2 CRT, 4 or 5 old printers, a busted scanner and a couple old boom boxes.

Great bunch of folks and very well organized. You didn't have to get out of your car, they had 6 or 7 empty trailers lined up and a very large staff of guys and girls that opened the back of the jeep, took the stuff out and sorted it onto pallets that would be loaded into the trailers.
It took them less than 2 minuets to off load all my stuff, and I was on my way.

Only negative was they must have been from NY because they all had Yankee hats on! But seeing as both the Sox and the Yankees are out of it, it wasn't too hard to be nice to the Yankee fans!