Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Parker Marine Boater

Default Alton Bay Bridge

The bridge in the bay by Parker Marine I heard was going to be replaced but have not seen anything in the news etc... I know there is one to be replaced South of the Traffic circle over the Merry Meeting but a friend told me about this one as well... Anyone know any details?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
Upthesaukee

Default Re: Alton Bay Bridge

Rte 28 south bridge for the merrymeeting river is going to be replaced, and a temporary bridge will be put in while the construction is going on. Town meeting and selectman meetings have not had conversation about the rte 11 bridge over the merrymeeting at the end of the bay. That is new to me.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
fp

Default Re: Alton Bay Bridge

ask steve parker, he would know anything about it. for sure. i have only heard about the bridge on rt. 28 going to be replaced in the future.(union leader article about 2-3 weeks ago)
fp
Old 03-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
Jersey Girl

Default Re: Alton Bay Bridge - When?

When exactly is this replacement scheduled to take place? Anybody know?

Jersey Girl

PS. Vacation to the lake scheduled and booked! We'll be there the last week in June and the first three weeks of August.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
jasdmd0

Default Hopefully after the Big Lake half marathon

I really hope that they hold off until after the Big Lake Half Marathon the 2nd weekend of May, since I'll be dealing with that bridge not only at just over a mile(the easy pass), but also at the bitter end, and by that point the last thing I'll need to worry about is dodging traffic cones
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2004, 07:40 PM   #6
Upthesaukee

The bridge replacement is the rte 28 bridge just south of the "circle". The bridge over the end of the bay is not being replaced.

I spoke with a selectman in town last night (Wed) and with Maureen Parker at Parker Marine today. No talk of replacing that bridge.

So run to your hearts content...look for some water about a half mile or so west of Sandy Point, we'll be there with an aid station.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
jasdmd0

I've been known in past half marathons, especially past the 10 mile mark, to look for/ask for the "fluid replacement system" also know as Bud Light instead of water - that may also have had something to do with why i was potentailly worried about running around traffic cones at the finish
Old 12-08-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Latest on Alton Rte 28 bridge replacement

Went to a meeting in Alton tonight (12-8-04) regarding the replacement of the route 28 bridge over the Merrymeeting river just south of the Alton Traffic Circle.
The approval stage will take place in 2005, the planning and bid stage will take place in 2006, and the construction will take place in the summer and fall of 2007 into the spring of 2008.
There will be a temporary two lane bridge that will be constructed to the west of the current bridge that will start just south of the circle and join the road right at the driveway into the Riverside Deli (Seasonal deli with great wraps, takeout or eat in at the picnic tables - usually open from about Memorial day to Oct 12th, but I digress). New bridge will be two 12 foot lanes with five foot paved shoulders and on the west side of the road a 5 foot sidewalk.
This will be the start of a seven year plan to improve route 28 from Alton Circle to Barnstead, where the road widens in Barnstead (7.5 miles of construction). Thought I would mention that now, so that those of you who are close to retiring up here can maybe hasten your plans a little and avoid the traffic jams.

As things progress (at the speed of a turbocharged snail with a sea anchor out), I'll try to keep all informed.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:09 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Thanks for the bridge update Upthesaukee.
Now if they could fix the yields on the traffic circle while they are at it, that would be great.
Shouldn’t the drivers in the rotary have the right of way, all the way around? That is how most others work.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default $1.1 Million!

Thanks for the info upthesaukee. This is going to be one expensive bridge! I hope that sidewalks are going to be run up to the new high school for students walking along this busy road.

Article from today's Citizen

Click for Citizen Article

Another Article

Here's a photo of the bridge during the Alton Bay Canoe/Kayak Race

Last edited by mcdude; 12-09-2004 at 12:53 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Sidewalk is scheduled to end at the driveway to Riverview Deli on the side closest to the bridge. Owners of the property would like to see the sidewalk go to the Masonic building parking lot so they won't be impacted twice by construction. Talking about perhaps 100 Ft of sidewalk. Hopefully they will do that.

Long term plan for sidewalk was not discussed last night. Remember the school is around a mile from the circle... don't know how many students would walk even if there were sidewalks. It seems some kids today need a ride to check the mail at the end of their driveway!!!!! short driveway.... uuuuuggggggghhhhh.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:40 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Default Alton Traffic Circle vs rotary

RG, I raised that question years ago to one of the men in blue in our town, and was told that technically the junction of rtes 28 & 11 is not a rotary. It is more like an elongated intersection with the east west traffic of route 11 having the right of way over the north south traffic of Rte 28. If the construction had been in a true "rotary" fashion, all who enter the rotary would indeed have to yield to those who are in the rotary. Technicalities, technicalities, technicalities...

Happy holidays RG, and hope the back is better so you can carry hubby home from the christmas party!!!!!!