Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Any one hear about 2 Boats hit by Lightning in Moultonboro

Today's CITIZEN

Lightning strike sinks two boats
By HARRISON HAAS
hhaas@citizen.com

MOULTONBOROUGH — The remains of two boats are lying at the bottom of Lake Winnipesaukee after a lightning strike set fire to one of the vessels which ignited another. More...

Heard it was at QUAYSIDE (Trexlers).

More info:
Firefighters said lightning struck one of the boats early Thursday in Moultonborough at the docks at the Quayside Yacht Club. The second boat caught on fire. One boat was a 22-foot sailboat and the other was a 28-foot runabout.

No one was aboard the boats at the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 07-19-2013 at 11:49 AM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Pictures in this thread:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16143
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
BernerGuy

The remains of the boats were pulled out, cut up, and loaded into a dumpster. Here is another picture from the fire.
Attached Images

BernerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
BernerGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Today's CITIZEN

Lightning strike sinks two boats
By HARRISON HAAS
hhaas@citizen.com

MOULTONBOROUGH — The remains of two boats are lying at the bottom of Lake Winnipesaukee after a lightning strike set fire to one of the vessels which ignited another. More...

Heard it was at QUAYSIDE (Trexlers).

More info:
Firefighters said lightning struck one of the boats early Thursday in Moultonborough at the docks at the Quayside Yacht Club. The second boat caught on fire. One boat was a 22-foot sailboat and the other was a 28-foot runabout.

No one was aboard the boats at the time.
It was at Quayside. Nancy and I were just getting to the lake after working that night. We arrived around 2:10AM and saw the two boats fully engulfed. Nancy called 911 and I ran out to the docks to see if there was anything I could do. Turned out the boats on fire were not accessible from the main part of Quayside, and I had no idea how I was to get to the other docks. A police sergeant arrived first and an off-duty fireman next. The policeman knew how to get out there and the three of us went out to little or no avial. The fire was going strong, and the best we could do was put water on the dock from the garden hoses we found and keep the fire from spreading until the fire department got there. They got there within 10 minutes and quickly got things under control. Thankfully nobody was aboard either vessel and luckily the fire didn't damage more boats as the possibility of that runs very high in a busy marina. Hopefully that is my last experience with a boat fire.
Attached Images

BernerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BernerGuy For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (07-19-2013), Winnigirl (07-19-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Just curious...Was that out on the front dock, near the gas pumps? I am not at the lake this week and that is where my dock is. #29. Doesn't look like my Wellcraft but the boat does not look familiar either.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Back Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Just curious...Was that out on the front dock, near the gas pumps? I am not at the lake this week and that is where my dock is. #29. Doesn't look like my Wellcraft but the boat does not look familiar either.
It was the back dock where you come on by the campground, The fire was down near where the "Brown EYIED Girl" is tied up. Some one said it was several slips back from there.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default Official report

To complete the thread, the M'boro administration report has a great write-up of what took place. Here it is pasted in. I especially like the part about a large fireball erupting.

Operations: Last week’s thunderstorms produced a string of incidents for the fire department. The
department responded to several fire alarm activations in the western side of town on the 17th and 18th.
In the early hours of the 18th, the department responded to the report of a boat fire at Quayside Yacht
Club. Moultonborough Police arrived on scene shortly after the incident was toned out and reported that
two boats were on fire and there were multiple exposures. Sergeants Beede, Canfield and Officer
Beaulieu moved the closest boat away from the fire and then worked with Lieutenant Daigneau to try to
contain the fire with garden hoses located on the dock. Lieutenant Daigneau made a risk assessment and
requested a fireboat response from Meredith, Gilford and Tuftonboro due to the numerous boats docked
and in storage on scene. Upon arrival, Chief Bengtson, with Engine 3 from the Neck Fire Station and
crews, stretched 600 feet of 1-3/4” hand line to the fire and began extinguishing the fire. Upon the
arrival of the Gilford fireboat, the fire was almost extinguished. Shortly after the Moultonborough and
Gilford crews began overhauling the boat, it sank and the gasoline in the tanks was forced to the surface
and resulted in a large fire ball erupting. The Gilford fireboat was moved to a safer location and the fire
was soon extinguished by both crews. The Meredith and Tuftonboro fireboats were placed to provide
exposure protection to the adjacent docks and boats during the incident. A video of part of the fire has
been posted to YouTube under the heading “Boat fire in Moultonborough, NH.” The cause of the fire
was a lightning strike to the mast of a sailboat, which caught fire igniting the runabout in the slip next to
the sailboat. Both boats sank as the result of the fire and gasoline and oils were released into the lake
along with burned debris. NH DES was notified and responded to the scene to evaluate the incident. A
clean-up contractor was hired and all of the gasoline, oils and debris were cleaned up. The boats were
raised and removed by the end of the day. The docks at the Yacht Club received moderate damage, but
the Club was able to remain open and in service.
upthesaukee (07-29-2013)