Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Jack

Default VT wood stove resealed....

I have a small Vermont Castings INTREPID wood stove that I replaced the top due to it being broken. Now that it is replaced I need it reassembled with gasket sealer along the sides and in appropriate locations to make it as air tight as possible like it was new. Is there anyone that does this type of work? I probably can resend it back to the factory. I have tried to reseal it myself but with it weighing in at 275+-, I would pay someone to do it for me. I have replaced the corner long threaded screws to hold the unit together too. Any help would be appreciated-- THANKS!!!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
EllyPoinster

Have you tried talking to a local Vermont Castings dealer? There is one in Laconia and another in Wakefield.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
patman

http://www.woodmansforgefireplace.com/

They handle vt castings, should be able to help you out...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Woodman's Forge and Fireplace is a good operation. We purchased our most recent chainsaw there. I have heard that they have a good service department.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
dog paw

While your resealing the top make sure the seams inside the firebox are good. We have two vermomt castings stoves. I have had the top off one of them to replace the converter. The rope seal and sealer is not to bad of a job to take on. Our dealer had reseal kits at the ready. What got my attention was the sealer they use on the joints inside the firebox on mine is breaking up. Not a good thing..... Prolly looking at replacing it I dont know what kind of lifespan these things have but this one lasted 17 years with one converter replacement
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I have a small Vermont Castings INTREPID wood stove that I replaced the top due to it being broken. Now that it is replaced I need it reassembled with gasket sealer along the sides and in appropriate locations to make it as air tight as possible like it was new. Is there anyone that does this type of work? I probably can resend it back to the factory. I have tried to reseal it myself but with it weighing in at 275+-, I would pay someone to do it for me. I have replaced the corner long threaded screws to hold the unit together too. Any help would be appreciated-- THANKS!!!
Well you can send it out to be re-sealed or do it yourself end of the day with that stove is that it's probably not going to last. I had that exact stove, and it was never air tight.

The fundamental problem with the sealing technique for that stove is that the sealer is applied like caulking. It dries as hard as cement. While at first it works with the expansion and contraction that occurs as the temperature of the stove changes the calking will eventually crack out and you loose the air "tightness" of the stove around the main body panels. The air leaking in will greatly reduce the efficiency of the stove when you shut it down to a slow burn. I tried several times to do it myself - also had it professionally done but it didn't matter. Within a month or two of 24X7 use the sealer was cracking out of the joints. I finally got tired of dealing with the problem so I cleaned it up and sold it off.

What's interesting is when I decided to replace the stove I looked at the new VC stoves and what do you know they are still doing the exact same thing to seal them although using it in less places then before. That sealed the deal for me and I ended up buying another brand.

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, just telling you about my own experience and I know this is not unique. Just something to think about before you ship it off and pay a lot of money to have it done.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote