Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
mrylmbt

Default lobster pound

Does anyone know who is going to be running the new and improved lobster pound, or who the head chef will be?
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
valhala

A recent article in the Weirs Times mentioned a Carol (don't remember last name) who used to operate Nadia's.
They are doing a lot of work. Hope the are successful and put out a good product.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
fatlazyless

I have no answers on your question except that the new Lobster Pound was recently purchased by the former Nadia's Trattoria in Gilford which was sold to become a bank.

Just remembered where I've seen that restaurant-lighthouse design before: at Hugo's Lighthouse in Cohasset, Mass. It worked for Hugo's for about fifty years. That Lobster Pound lighthouse design has a lot of curb appeal and that's definately a big plus for a restaurant.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
eyenotall777

Default Carol ?

Carol Clancy is going to be the Chef @ The New Lobster Pound? She was the Owner/Chef of Nadia's.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Resident 2B

Great news!!

She did a great job with Nadia's and I am sure she will do a great job with the new Lobster Pound.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Great news!!

She did a great job with Nadia's and I am sure she will do a great job with the new Lobster Pound.

R2B
Are the owners the same? People who reside on Gov's Island and winter somewhere - way south. I almost think the same since the fire!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
Pepper

Just to clear up a bit of confusion ...

Carol will be the chef at the Lobster Pound, working for the new owners who are from MA. I had an opportunity to meet them very briefly at the Auction at Nadia's, and they seem like very nice gentlemen. It was a very hectic time, so I didn't get an opportunity to find out their history - sorry.

Lou and Harvey, the previous owners of the Lobster Pound were both there as well. Sadly I only got a chance to chat with Lou, and only for a moment, so I don't know what his future plans are in the area. I can tell you I'll miss him - he was always a great business neighbor for us.

We wish them all well, and know that Carol will do a superb job for the new owners!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
winniplayhouse

I will preface my post by saying that, despite working across the street from it for four years, I never walked into the Lobster Pound until today.

Today I got the opportunity to meet the new owners and see the renovations which are still underway. I was VERY impressed. My impression from the outside of the "old" Lobster Pound was that it was very run-down. The renovations inside are absolutely beautiful. Lots of nice wordwork, beautifully tiled bathrooms, classy paint choices and very cool lighting fixtures (esp over the bar). They are planning on taking down the sign and putting up a more vintage-looking one.

Of course the proof is in the cooking and that remains to be seen, but I was very impressed by the two owners (brothers from Boston who own a restaurant in the North End). They have hired the chef from Nadia's who they were excited about for her experience and expertise running a kitchen although they did point out that they would be developing the menu themselves so it wouldn't necessarily relate at all to what she was cooking at Nadia's.

Over all, I was very impressed with how they are operating (can you tell?!) and think they will be a welcome addition to the Weirs. With Willow's closed we were scratching our heads trying to think of where to recommend to our theatre patrons who want a nice, sit-down meal in walking distance from the theatre. I probably wouldn't have suggested LP in the past but, based on the care and effort they have put into the renovations alone, feel that we can recommend it now. Of course, that really depends on the food but we'll have to wait a few more weeks before we know about that...!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
webmaster

Thanked 3,728 Times in 824 Posts
Default The New Lobster Pound

Here are a few pictures of the new construction on May 4th, 2008:
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
secondcurve

Default Lobster Pound

Will this business be seasonal? It seems that many of the successful restaurants are seasonal. In any event, it looks like these folks had some money invest and they have hired a good chef. That usually is a good combination.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Resident 2B

The 'new' Lobster Pound is a very welcomed addition to the Weirs Beach area. I am hopeful this venture goes very well and that it will encourage more high-quality construction in the area.

The webmaster's photos clearly show the extent of the Lobster Pound upgrade. This is a complete change from what it was in the past. Good luck to those involved.

Any news on when they will be opening?

R2B
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Woodsy

Scuttlebutt around the Weirs indicated they were trying for a Mem Day weekend opening, but that they might miss the target by a few days. The owners want to "Do it right because you only open once" so don't be surprised if there is a little delay!

On the upside... the place is very nice inside! I cant wait to have a cold frosty out on the deck!

Woodsy
Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
hazelnut

GORGEOUS! That place looks so nice. We will be putting the Pound on the short list this summer.

Here's to what I hope is the upswing for "The Weirs."
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Misakame

Smile Distance to the Lobster Pound

How far up the road is the Lobster Pound? Can you walk it from the public boat docks in Weirs? Thanks for anyone's help out there.
Misakame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
jniff101

Oh yes, it's definitely within walking distance. It sits right next to the drive-in movie theater. I as well have seen the inside of the building and met the owners. Very nice people. The top deck outside is going to have live entertainment and another bar. That;s going to be a hot spot during bike week for sure.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
Irish mist

You have to give the new owners credit.....they put a lot of work into this project. I love the look of the place.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #17
ACutAbove

When I drove by this afternoon they were starting to pave the lot...
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
Waterbaby

Default Very very close.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misakame View Post
How far up the road is the Lobster Pound? Can you walk it from the public boat docks in Weirs? Thanks for anyone's help out there.
.....in fact, it's so close to the public docks you could possibly spend more time waiting for an open dock on a hot sunny Saturday than it will take you to walk to the Pound, order, eat, and walk back to your boat!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
CaptDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Scuttlebutt around the Weirs indicated they were trying for a Mem Day weekend opening, but that they might miss the target by a few days. The owners want to "Do it right because you only open once" so don't be surprised if there is a little delay!

On the upside... the place is very nice inside! I cant wait to have a cold frosty out on the deck!

Woodsy
are they going to make the date???

- Dan
The Life of Riley
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #20
Woodsy

Not sure.... but as soon as I find out I will post it here!

Woodsy
Old 05-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #21
Resident 2B

They have tables and chairs stacked up on one of the decks, so opening is getting close. However, I would be very suprised if they opened for this weekend. There is still a lot of work going on.

The decks will provide a great view of the Weirs docks and beach area and all the boating activity. They should provide a great location to view the fireworks from come summer.

R2B
Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #22
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Friday Opening 5/30 ?

We called the Lobster Pound on Sunday, 5/25, we were told they planned to open on Friday, 5/30. Can't wait to try this lovely looking new place!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:35 AM   #23
Overlake97

Default Lobster Pound is OPEN

I drove by last night around 9PM and the place looked pretty lively. Parking lot was filled and the sign said 'opening Friday, with limited menu' or something like that. If I had not already eaten, I'd have pulled right in.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote