Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Doral350

Default Black Bear near the Weirs Channel

Does anyone know what happened to the black bear that was running around the channel on Sunday afternoon?
Doral350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
dpg

He was bull !@#$. He was looking for Waldos and didn't know they had moved.
Sorry, obviously I do not.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Water Camper

Default Black Bear on Weirs Boulevard

I think I might know where the bear that had been frequenting the Weirs went to, our place. We are just north of the Paugus Bay Sports Center.

Around 9:00 AM this morning Sue starting squaking about something being in our front yard. She gets excited when deer and turkey come into our yard, which isn't that unusual, so naturally I took my time checking things out.

A good size bear, I'm guessing 400 lbs or more, is walking down our driveway and into our neighbors yard. He was visible for about 10 minutes, then wandered off.

Sue says she's not going to feed the deer anymore apples, I think I know who was really eating them!

Where will he go next ??

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Water Camper

Default Bear Went South for Awhile

Black Bear, weighing approx. 400 pounds, seen in our driveway this morning about 9:00 just north of the Paugus Bay Sports place, Weirs Boulevard. VERY BIG! Ambled around, headed to neighbors property, down their driveway toward the Boulevard probably looking for food (trash day). He/she ate all the apples put out for deer in our upper grove. Not feeding deer anymore!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

A local businessman sent me this picture. Look on the roof:
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Water Camper

Default Where is this?

Hi Don. Where is this business? .... couldn't make out the sign. If bear are climbing on buildings, I'm staying INSIDE!
Sue
Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
NHskier

This looks to be the real estate office right next to the old Handy Landing convenience store. Right by the jet ski rental place. Not far from the channel bridge!!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
webmaster

It's just across from the old Waldo Peppers (for now the Chao Pra Ya Thai & Sushi).
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
robmac

Thanks Don,very cool pic.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
dpg

Is this a real picture, I mean the bear that is? How the heck could he get on the roof. Maybe from the tree in the picture however the branches do not look like they would hold him.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Blow up the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Is this a real picture, I mean the bear that is? How the heck could he get on the roof. Maybe from the tree in the picture however the branches do not look like they would hold him.
If you save the picture to your computer, then open it in a photo editing software, enlarge it, and then lighten it some, you will see the red cape and red&yellow "S"!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
webmaster

Quote:
How the heck could he get on the roof.
Here's how:
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Looks like he just finished eating in that dumpster.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
NoRegrets

Default What would you do if confronted by a bear?

We are not hunters but I wonder what the suggested action would be if someone encountered a bear like in these pictures? What if a child was nearby or on the balcony and thought it was a big dog? I haven't heard of a encounter in this area yet but there have been maulings in New Jersy and Tennessee within the past few years.

I have foxes and fisher cats travel through my yard at different times of the year. I also bring my little dog out at night on a leash and carry a small bat. Should I upgrade to a hand gun? Any suggestions?
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
We are not hunters but I wonder what the suggested action would be if someone encountered a bear like in these pictures? What if a child was nearby or on the balcony and thought it was a big dog? I haven't heard of a encounter in this area yet but there have been maulings in New Jersy and Tennessee within the past few years.

I have foxes and fisher cats travel through my yard at different times of the year. I also bring my little dog out at night on a leash and carry a small bat. Should I upgrade to a hand gun? Any suggestions?
If you're truly concerned you can carry a spray. It's like pepper spray but made to ward off bears.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
jmen24

Spray would cover it. It would be best not to think about a child thinking that bear was a big dog in the confined space of a balcony or dumpster, but out in the open it would probably just take off. Most Black bears want as little to do with you as you do them, but they are a powerful animal that will defend themselves if THEY feel its needed.

Upgrading to a gun carries a lot of weight and should not be taken lightly, unless you are really ready to fire it, as well as put in the time to know it inside and out, in most instances it would not be needed, a quick clap or yell would send it running and that goes for a fox as well. The fisher cat is a different story depending on the size of the dog and a small bat would not be my weapon of choice against a fisher, but again a gun is a very large commitment and in a residential or urban environment would not be recommended.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #17
jrc

Pepper spray
Attached Images

jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Pepper spray
I remember a few years ago.......being an Old Coot, and on a pension, who knows How Many freakin years ago it was ...they just fly by.

Anywho: There was this young "Outdoorsy" couple who were "Living with the Grizzlys" in Alaska. It was very "Inspiring". They were "Bonding" with nature and whatnot.....

They were attacked and Ate Up by their friends.... the Grizzlys. Totally Sad.

Lesson: Don't try to snuggle up to a Bear. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
jrc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
VtSteve

I am so glad I have a 20X zoom lens. Tried to blow up that picture, but not enough resolution. My guess is that bear will not be your friend, for long.

Just as a casual observer, 400 pounds seems a bit heavy for that guy.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Default Hang on a minute

There is no comparison to be made between attacks from grizzlies and NH's black bear.They are complete opposites.I dont even recall the last time we had a bear attack here.Black bears are omnivores and only attack if they think they,or more importantly,their offspring are threatened.Very very rare.I had a mother 3 feet from my skihouse in Franconia last week.While watching her,2 18 inch babies appeared.Great stuff.They do everything they can to avoid humans.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 09-03-2009 at 09:23 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #22
NoRegrets

Thank you all for the suggestions and insight on safety with nature.

In the news a few weeks ago there was a tragic story about an older couple that were killed by a pack of wild dogs in North Eastern Georgia. The wife went out first and when she did not return the husband went out to look for her. They both met a horrible end. The dogs were captured and the experts said they were pets left behind and a "bad" dog leader caused the pack to go bad.

The point about being prepared to pull the trigger if you carry a gun is excellent. In a panic situation you may hurt yourself or someone unintentionally. You would need to practice, be mentally prepared for action, and then practice so action would become routine. This would not suit me or my wife.

The pepper spray seems the best solution to cover most situations.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #23
ApS

Post One Bear's Opinion Follows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
"...Should I upgrade to a hand gun...?"
An interview disclosed the following opinion:

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #24
jrc

Just to be clear, my post was a joke. There are no grizzlies in New Hampshire.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #25
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I remember a few years ago.......being an Old Coot, and on a pension, who knows How Many freakin years ago it was ...they just fly by.

Anywho: There was this young "Outdoorsy" couple who were "Living with the Grizzlys" in Alaska. It was very "Inspiring". They were "Bonding" with nature and whatnot.....

They were attacked and Ate Up by their friends.... the Grizzlys. Totally Sad.

Lesson: Don't try to snuggle up to a Bear. NB
I was watching a show on 20/20 last night about a guy in Alaska who lives in a cabin in the woods. He feeds the bears (illegal), both brown bears and grizzlies. He is almost like a father to them. It is pretty cool, but I would hazard to guess that the guy is going to be dinner some day. On that show, they did mention the couple who was mauled and eaten by a grizzly.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #26
NoRegrets

Default No NH Grizzlies?

I don't know about that. I think I saw some of them in Walmart a few weeks ago....
Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #27
BGB2

Default Bear on Vacation

What's for lunch?
Attached Images

BGB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #28
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
If you save the picture to your computer, then open it in a photo editing software, enlarge it, and then lighten it some, you will see the red cape and red&yellow "S"!!!!
ookkkk so it is a fixed up pic??
Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #29
Grant

No guns necessary. Black bears want nothing to do with you, and the vast majority of sightings are food-inspired. And they don't eat people. Noises will usually scare them off. Bird feeders, garbage containers, etc., will attract. As we get into fall, they will be foraging more aggressively, trying to build up their fat reserves for the winter's nap. In spring, they'll be out and about looking to break that fast. They are not, however, anything like grizzlies. Most that you see will look like big dogs. The occasional big bear sighting is a treat.

I remember an incident -- probably 10+ years ago now -- in which a pair of good-sized bears ambled up driveway in Wolfeboro on a summer weekend afternoon. The homeowner, obviously alarmed and concerned for the safety of his tethered dog in the back yard, went inside, grabbed a gun, and shot and killed one of the bears. I recall the other getting away. Shame to have to resort to killing it, but I can't say I wouldn't react the same way if I perceived a threat to my dogs.

Having spent a lot of time backpacking and camping in bear country in New Hampshire, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania, I've found that noise works best. That being said, a seasoned/conditioned/wily campground bear will return again and again in attempts to win its food prize. We had one in the Smokies that climbed a tree, latched onto our string hammock containing food sacks, snapped the line, crashed to the ground, and took off with a week's worth of backpacking rations for three people. The next day, we recovered 2/3 of the food (and saw the bear again...another story...), and enjoyed pita bread with bear tooth holes in them for the rest of the week. Oh yeah -- and one of the offending bruins also bit a hole through the metal body of my friend's camera as it took off with his full-loaded backpack in its mouth! They are good-natured troublemakers.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #30
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGB2 View Post
What's for lunch?
Awesome!! Is this in NH?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #31
Simon

The bear was spotted at Stonecrest Condominiums on Weirs Blvd. Photo was taken on August 18th.
Attached Images

Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #32
Resident 2B

Quote:
No idea who the poster is, but looking at the shadows on the table, the photo looks real to me.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #33
BGB2

Default Bear on Vacation Authenticity

I received the picture from a friend. I asked him if the picture was real. He told me that to the best of his knowledge it is real i.e. not altered. The location of the picture is unknown to me. If the bear was wearing a football helmet, I'd guess that it was a Chicago Bear or University of Maine Bear and the picture was altered.
BGB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #34
White Rook
Deceased Member

Smile Priceless Look

Hi Bill,

Having known both you and sue for the last 15+ years, I can just imagine the look on Sue's face when she saw the bear. it must have been priceless. Hope to see both of you around this weekend.

Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Black Bear, weighing approx. 400 pounds, seen in our driveway this morning about 9:00 just north of the Paugus Bay Sports place, Weirs Boulevard. VERY BIG! Ambled around, headed to neighbors property, down their driveway toward the Boulevard probably looking for food (trash day). He/she ate all the apples put out for deer in our upper grove. Not feeding deer anymore!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #35
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Just to be clear, my post was a joke. There are no grizzlies in New Hampshire.
That sign is priceless... I'm still laughing at it.

Seriously thou, my sister and her family live in Fairbanks, AK. They are very active in 4H, and raise all sorts of animals. They had 2 young Grizzlies get into their goat pen. Needless to say they lost several goats.
The local authorities had to track down and destroy the bears because they told my sister that the bears would keep coming back until the all the goats and other animals were gone.

Black Bear and Grizzlies are not alike. We have Black Bear here in the yard on a fairly regular basis.. I've posted some of the pics. They run off as soon as they see us.

The State has this website about NH Black Bears. Good reading and lots of links to even more information.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wild...ings_Bruin.htm
Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #36
Water Camper

Default I think she pooped her pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook View Post
Hi Bill,

Having known both you and sue for the last 15+ years, I can just imagine the look on Sue's face when she saw the bear. it must have been priceless. Hope to see both of you around this weekend.

Stevie
Stevie, just sent you a PM. Hope you can make it this weekend.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #37
pats fan

Default The bear was real

Sounds like a lot of folks questioning if the bear in The Weirs Channel was real. Yes, he was. I am friends with Jose Dematos who owns The Channel Cottages. The bear wandered around his property, checked out his beach and then went next door to the new condos that used to be Handy Landing Store. Jose has pictures of his own up close! I think he got a little closer than he should have but he has good photos and lives to tell about it. He said the boats were all stopping and docking at the docks behind the condos to get a closer look. Sounds like the little guy felt trapped between the channel and Weirs Blvd. so he didn't know where to go. He chose the roof to see if he could see a better way out!
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #38
Water Camper

Default Thanks Pats Fan

Thanks for confirming this to be a real sighting. Our bear was anything but little I'm afraid to go into the woods any more. I often work out there alone, clearing and picking up branches, etc. Any suggestions from people/hunters for safety precautions ... whisles, bells, music ... to deter them from coming near if I get the courage to go into the woods again? Thanks in advance.
Sue
Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #39
NoBozo

Default Bears

It's really interesting to me how many posters on this thread are entertained by the bear sightings of late...and the pleasant likelihood of a face to face encounter. ... "They are just SO Cute"...Totally

I wonder how it would work out if ...WE .Re-Introduced BIG Bears to New Hampshire". As things go....not too far out of the question I think...IS IT..?

If I'm not mistaken, WE Re-Introduced WOLVES just recently...didn't WE...? Not trying to stir up poop....Just stirring up some Thought.

BTW: I don't care if cute little black bears are "Vegetarian" or not. With nice BIG teeth ...and even Bigger Claws.......I'm going to keep my distance.

Regardless: Anyone who doesn't take heed of the lesson in the "Treadwell Incident" in Alaska.......I wish you well. NB
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #40
Jonas Pilot

Default Holy smoke!

We re-introduced wolves back into New Hampshire?! Who did it? How many were placed and where? Now I'm afraid to even walk to my car! Who is responsible for this?!!!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #41
jrc

Black bears are omnivores, they eat pretty much anything including deer fawns, according to Wiki.

There haven't been any reintroduction of wolves or any wild wolves found in NH as of the 2008 NH fish and game. But they are coming back, there have been sighting in Maine, New York and Massachusettes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #42
dpg

Quote:
Thanks for confirming this to be a real sighting. Our bear was anything but little I'm afraid to go into the woods any more. I often work out there alone, clearing and picking up branches, etc. Any suggestions from people/hunters for safety precautions ... whisles, bells, music ... to deter them from coming near if I get the courage to go into the woods again? Thanks in advance.
Sue
Sue I've been known to go on a hunt or two in my life. Seriously though as stated in this thread no need to worry about black bears. To answer your question your best defense would just be to keep YOUR eyes open and not accidentally sneak up on one. You would not want to spook one that didn't realize you were in the area. If you and a bear spot each other from a fair distance he/she 99.999% of the time would turn the other way and be on it's way. Kind of like they tell all of us about terrorists and things, live your life but keep your guard up a bit that's all. I'm not an expert but would guess you wouldn't want a bell or something with you as it might provoke interest. Making yourself "look big" by standing tall and maybe yelling is what's generally suggested.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #43
jmen24

Quote:
Sue
While I have never actively hunted Black Bear, I have been hunting since age 5 for other bounty in the state of NH and can say without a doubt that I have only seen a bear in the woods twice, that is while being quiet and/or stationary, starting from mid August through mid January for 23 years. And bear are all through the area I hunt, as has been seen at neighbors feeders and sign in the woods. You are more likely to have an encounter with a neighbors dog than a bear in the woods.

Go out and cut some brush, enjoy the beautiful weather we are having and do not worry about looking over your shoulder, bears do not enjoy stacking wood anyway.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #44
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
We re-introduced wolves back into New Hampshire?! Who did it? How many were placed and where? Now I'm afraid to even walk to my car! Who is responsible for this?!!!
Sorry to alarm anyone. Iinitially I thought New England (particularly NH) was one of the recent locations this was being done, ...it appears I may have been in error. Reintroduction of Wolves has been done in other locales but NH does not appear to be one of them. I DID hear something about this recently..but I can't remember where. NB

PS: This Wiki Note may be over 10 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_reintroduction
Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #45
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Low risk omnivores

As many have noted, bear are omnivores and would love a package of bacon to go with the blackberries. They will stay clear of humans if given a chance and wolves (which have not been "reintroduced" to NH) will stay far away.

You will incur more collective risk from a day's driving than from a life's time of risk of bear or wolf attack.

Approximate US death rate per year (variable by year)
Auto accident: 42,000+
Murder: 15,000
Lightning: 100
Bear: 1 or 2
Wolf: 0.03 (three in a 100 year period all rabies related)

Drive safe; respect and enjoy the wildlife.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #46
ripley

Default black bear

Not trying to pick a fight but that bear would weigh 230,,,maybe a few pounds more. It is easy to de deceived by a photo,
Black bears CAN climb trees.They really want nothing to do with you ..bells and whistles are a very good precaution as bears, any bear ,does not like to be surprised.
Just last week while dring home in Moultonboro on 25 , I had to slam on my breaks as a 1 year old cub ran in front of my truck . This bear was born in the spring of 2008 and was in the area of 110 pounds...most black bear in New Hampshire will top out at 180 -210 pounds so yes, that was a very good sized bear in those photos.
Grizz, on the other hand can run as high as 1400 pounds,thou that would be the exception,with the average large male running around 600-750 or 800
I canoed thru the Canadian rockies for 210 miles and there were Grizz all around us ,but we only saw one ..
Remember that black bears want as little to do with you as possible , just looking for food. Grizz on the otherhand, are just looking for food , but that might be you !Grizz are not afraid of anything ...the only animal on earth that is superior to the grizz ,other than man, is the polar bear.
Put it in perspective,just look at the grizz's latin name:
URSUS ARCTOS HORRIBILIS the horible creture from the far north.
I have 3 coyotes,one black bear and some dear all living in the woods behind my house in sandwich...in the fall,such as now, I take my dog out at night instead of just putting her out alone ...she s a 140 pound newfoundland and i worry about the fisher cat..the fisher brought down a deer last winter and the coyotes finished what the cat did not..I go out with my little girl...and these days ,with the cooler weather, its time to bring my shotgun out with me as well

Black bear : just remember to make noise and if they have a cub or two with them ,back away VERY QUICKLY but don't turn and run,,,just back up,keeping eye contact at ALL times and move carefully but quickly away from the area. with Grizz: forget it ..you see a Grizz up close,,,chances are thats the last thing you will see. Many people think grizz can't climb trees.they are almost right. Grizz can climb trees quite well but they weigh so much that they tend to stay closer to the ground,rarely climbing higher then 10- 15 feet...
From the time that I started typing this til now, i now know that I also have a skunk in my backyard,something I had figures buut never,,,umm,,er ,,,could prove..I can prove it now ..
Cheers
RIP
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #47
fatlazyless

Heard the Fish & Game recently destroyed a biggie 400-lb bear in Waterville Valley at the request of the local police. The bear had been a frequent visitor to public trash cans and private dumpsters. The bear would creep into the Valley at night and visit the public trash cans. I saw it a couple times....very well behaved....it would tiptoe about...ignoring my high beams....and continue toward a dumpster or a trash can.

NH has something like 500 or 5000? black bears so probably a new one will show up. As I understand WV usually has about two or three wild bears that come into town looking for something to eat like left over calimari sauce.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #48
ApS

Unhappy Should've Left The Waitstaff Alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
"...The bear would creep into the Valley at night and visit the public trash cans..."
Just a few years ago, the Valley's Owl's Nest Resort had no air-conditioning. On one particularly hot evening, I heard through the open window, "Daddy, there's a bear in the parking lot!"

Sure enough, cool as a cucumber, a black bear was wandering between cars and SUVs.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
No idea who the poster is, but looking at the shadows on the table, the photo looks real to me. R2B
Another pic from the Web suggests it is real: it's titled, "Service in this place stinks".
Attached Images

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #49
fatlazyless

In thinking about the recent necessary but unfortunate death of the huge bear by the Fish & Game Dept, it certainly seems like the available easy trash can food at the Waterville Valley Town Square is the problem. Fish & Game promotes their "A fed bear is a dead bear" safety program and suggests for home owners to bring in their outdoor bird feeders. And, the Town of Waterville Valley requires that every one of the numerous, like maybe 100 different dumpsters in town, be bear proof. Bear proof means they have locks or latches which strongly deter bears when people remember to use them.

Over at the Town Square, there's aproximately four or five different 32 gallon trash deposit cans, made of rubbermaid plastic, and the bears quickly learn to tip them over and dig through the trash for left over food.The bears show up very regularly each night. The area is basically an outdoor food court with about five different food businesses that sell take -out pizza, ice cream, sandwiches, buritos, and chocolate to the xc skiers, bicyclers, hockey players, kayakers, swimmers, and vacationers.

Knowing that "a fed bear is a dead bear" and that the unsecure large plastic trash deposit style trash cans have been in place for ten plus years, then what is the basis for the problem here........is it the the trash cans or the bears?

Seems like they need to figure out some bear proof trash litter cans, just as the Town has required bear proof dumpsters. As bears will always be bears, and easy to get discarded pizza, buritos, chocolate, ice crean and sandwiches will add up to more bears needing to be destroyed by Fish & Game.

Now, building a trash-litter deposit can that is bear proof is probably not an easy thing to do, as the bear proof dumpsters are built of very sturdy welded steel and the trash cans are built of trash can plastic.

So, what's a bear to do? ... www.watervillevalley.org
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #50
trfour

Default Definitely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
In thinking about the recent necessary but unfortunate death of the huge bear by the Fish & Game Dept, it certainly seems like the available easy trash can food at the Waterville Valley Town Square is the problem. Fish & Game promotes their "A fed bear is a dead bear" safety program and suggests for home owners to bring in their outdoor bird feeders. And, the Town of Waterville Valley requires that every one of the numerous, like maybe 100 different dumpsters in town, be bear proof. Bear proof means they have locks or latches which strongly deter bears when people remember to use them.

Over at the Town Square, there's aproximately four or five different 32 gallon trash deposit cans, made of rubbermaid plastic, and the bears quickly learn to tip them over and dig through the trash for left over food.The bears show up very regularly each night. The area is basically an outdoor food court with about five different food businesses that sell take -out pizza, ice cream, sandwiches, buritos, and chocolate to the xc skiers, bicyclers, hockey players, kayakers, swimmers, and vacationers.

Knowing that "a fed bear is a dead bear" and that the unsecure large plastic trash deposit style trash cans have been in place for ten plus years, then what is the basis for the problem here........is it the the trash cans or the bears?

Seems like they need to figure out some bear proof trash litter cans, just as the Town has required bear proof dumpsters. As bears will always be bears, and easy to get discarded pizza, buritos, chocolate, ice crean and sandwiches will add up to more bears needing to be destroyed by Fish & Game.

Now, building a trash-litter deposit can that is bear proof is probably not an easy thing to do, as the bear proof dumpsters are built of very sturdy welded steel and the trash cans are built of trash can plastic.

So, what's a bear to do? ... www.watervillevalley.org
A panda ponder situation, FLL.

I know what the bears can do to dumpsters and such in the Lakes region. We do need to protect the bears and they can be very clever, ( Push Push ) Factor.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #51
Yosemite Sam

I tried to take a picture of the Bear on the roof and Papa Bear didn't like it to well!

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #52
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doral350 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the black bear that was running around the channel on Sunday afternoon?
I heard it say something about heading to The Bob House, as it was heading out of town....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #53
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I heard it say something about heading to The Bob House, as it was heading out of town....
OH NO!! After that beautiful Bear chased me off he went to the Bob House and got "SHOT".

That is really sad!
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote