Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Boating Education Certificate

With the fantastic weather we have been having in the Lakes Region this summer, it seems like there are a number of boaters that could not possibly have ever heard of some of the "rules of the road" for the lake (for evidence, please read the Shout out to Life is Good thread).

As many are aware, NH has made it mandatory that all boat operators take and pass a Boating Education class.

There are classes upcoming that are local to Winni:
8-21-2010 in Moultonborough (at the Public Safety Building on 25)
9-18-2010 in Ossipee at the Town Hall.

There may be others as well, please see the link to the NH DOS sitehttp://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...ged/index.html

While there are some that will say that the course is not extensive as it should be, at least everyone who takes it will be aware of the major rules that will effect them on the lake.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
NoBozo

Since there seems to be so many people out on the lake who seem to Not KNOW the "Rules Of The Road"......I wonder how many of them actually KNOW that they were supposed to take a course and get a certificate. If they actually Don't know ..this might explain why so many "boaters" do whatever they want Willy Nilly.

I'd like to think that they are Ignorant, rather than Arrogant individuals who DO know the rules but choose to not follow them.

I have never seen a Sign on the town dock..say in Wolfeboro, stating that Everyone MUST have "The Certificate" to operate. What would it cost to put up such Reminder Signs on every Town Dock on the lake..? How many Town Docks are there..?

I wonder how many "boaters" on the lake are from out of state and have no clue about getting "The Certificate" to operate in NH. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Since there seems to be so many people out on the lake who seem to Not KNOW the "Rules Of The Road"......I wonder how many of them actually KNOW that they were supposed to take a course and get a certificate. If they actually Don't know ..this might explain why so many "boaters" do whatever they want Willy Nilly.

I'd like to think that they are Ignorant, rather than Arrogant individuals who DO know the rules but choose to not follow them.

I have never seen a Sign on the town dock..say in Wolfeboro, stating that Everyone MUST have "The Certificate" to operate. What would it cost to put up such Reminder Signs on every Town Dock on the lake..? How many Town Docks are there..?

I wonder how many "boaters" on the lake are from out of state and have no clue about getting "The Certificate" to operate in NH. NB
So the idea of putting signs at the town docks is good... but the only helps on lakes where there are town docks, for all other lakes and waterways it would need to be at all ramps... The cost well, it could be high give the amount of boat ramps in the state...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
VitaBene

Default Registrations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So the idea of putting signs at the town docks is good... but the only helps on lakes where there are town docks, for all other lakes and waterways it would need to be at all ramps... The cost well, it could be high give the amount of boat ramps in the state...
Maybe the DOS can send a little reminder with class dates with the registration renewals? As NB noted, some of the infractions are so blatant that I cannot believe that the offending captain has a clue.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
welchislandman

Default test out option

has anyone taken the test out option ?

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...d/testout.html
welchislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
RailroadJoe

NoBozo hit it probably on the head. I don't boat and I was unaware that to operate a boat over 25 hp you had to have a certificate.
Lots of people just buy or rent and put it in the water and go from there.
Watch out for them as they become more and more.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchislandman View Post
has anyone taken the test out option ?

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...d/testout.html
Yes.......
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Please Explain Test Out Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
Yes.......
I'm not clear on this option. How does work? Do you still have to attend a class? A test is sent for study and responses, etc ?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook View Post
I'm not clear on this option. How does work? Do you still have to attend a class? A test is sent for study and responses, etc ?
As the link says you must pre register.

Then show up at a class site late in the afternoon and take the proctored exam.
Also as the link says you must score 80 or better.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
So what's different between the Test Out option and the other choice? Price? Good only in NH? Why?
As I understand it Testing out allows you to forgo the class and then show up at the end and take the proctored exam.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
LakeSnake

You can also forgo the class room by studing online and taking the practice test online - which you must pass-then you can sign up to take the proctored exam. I think it was about $30.00 for the home study and $10 for the proctored exam if memory serves me - which it probably doesn't.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
archstanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Since there seems to be so many people out on the lake who seem to Not KNOW the "Rules Of The Road"......I wonder how many of them actually KNOW that they were supposed to take a course and get a certificate. If they actually Don't know ..this might explain why so many "boaters" do whatever they want Willy Nilly. NB

Some sign's may help but I never understood why you could register a boat in NH without showing the safe boat cert. Wouldn't that help close the "gap"? Also I thought that you could put your boat in for a short period of time without registering it - for vacationers, etc. This may be another gap. Why not reqire a temporary registration that would include the requirement for a temporary safe boat cert?
archstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by archstanton View Post
Some sign's may help but I never understood why you could register a boat in NH without showing the safe boat cert. Wouldn't that help close the "gap"? Also I thought that you could put your boat in for a short period of time without registering it - for vacationers, etc. This may be another gap. Why not reqire a temporary registration that would include the requirement for a temporary safe boat cert?
Sounds good to me, but note that it is the operator that needs the cert, not necessarily the owner so it won't catch all. Having said that, I am all for as many checks for the certificates as possible. I would even advocate for certificate check "roadblocks"
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
The Watcher

Testing out provides a certificate good in NH ONLY. The classroom earned certificate is good throughout the USA.
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
boat_guy64

Default The class

Last week, my 15 yr. old took the course and the test in Meredith. It was in two 3 hour sessions. He said the instructor was very good, he learned a lot and he is really glad he took the course. He is all ready for next year when he'll be 16.

Bottome line, six hours to learn some really important safety information.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Skip

Smile Classes worth their weight in gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
Last week, my 15 yr. old took the course and the test in Meredith. It was in two 3 hour sessions. He said the instructor was very good, he learned a lot and he is really glad he took the course. He is all ready for next year when he'll be 16.

Bottome line, six hours to learn some really important safety information.
Good to hear that.

It is the same with the Snowmobile Safety classes that I teach each winter. The difference being that many of my actual students (the kids) are really up to speed on many of the laws and regulations and especially the environmental issues regarding snowmobiling.

But it is alway the adult parent or guardians that come up to me after class and state they were absolutely ignorant to many of the issues presented in the class!

Personally I would like to see a tiered licensing approach introduced to ATV and snowmobile operation in the State. As bad as lack of knowledge can be out on the water, the incidents of serious accidents due in many cases sheer ignorance or stupidity is much higher per capita withing the ATV/Snowmobile community!

In my humble opinion, that is...
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #17
boat_guy64

Default I agree

I took the snowmobile course with my son three years ago. The one thing that the gentleman did very well besides teach us the laws was stress the respect for the landowners and the other sledders. It made a big impression on my son and on me. We're guests out on those trails and we can't ever forget that. I know that there are always bad examples, but the people that I ride with on sleds are very very responsible and respectful.

If all boaters would think the same way, many of the issues we see on the big lake would be non-existant. We are all on a very big public lake and we all need to share it.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #18
John A. Birdsall

Default signs

As I see it, before you put up signs, you need to teach them how to read.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John A. Birdsall For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-03-2010)