Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Water Camper

Default Sounds of ice in Paugus today

We were down at the water this morning around 11:00 inspecting the ice damage to our landing. It was amazing to hear the sounds of the ice. Very haunting sounds. Cracking sounds but more than that, very loud, dove-like calls radiating up out of the ice and floating across the bay toward us. I really can't descibe this sound adequately but it was amazing. Almost a kind of singing really, coming in every few minutes, some very loud, some almost a whisper. We could hear them up at the cottage too, very far away.

Now to the landing. In the six years we've been there we've never seen any kind of damage but today, OH BOY! Our poles, which should be standing up straight, are now bent over and heading toward Big Island. The 2 x 6" framework has been split, and is pulling away from the landing, and the landing is sliding, being pulled by the pent poles toward the lake. We secured it with chains and come-a-long to some trees until we have a better chance to access the problem. Hope it holds! Yikes. New spring project.

There's also still a bob house on Paugus down near Spinnaker. Hope it's on pontoons! There's open water on the West side of Paugus at least 20-30 feet out from shore depending on location, and the winds are breaking the ice up fast. Please be careful!
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Water Camper

Default Sounds of Ice Correction

Need to correct one of Sue's comments, we are on the East Side of Paugus, but she was correct about the sound of the ice. Erie !!

Bill Poulin
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
White Rook (02-25-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
GTO

Default very cool sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Need to correct one of Sue's comments, we are on the East Side of Paugus, but she was correct about the sound of the ice. Erie !!

Bill Poulin
Went down to the dock on Saturday and heard the sounds also....Eerie is the best word to describe it. I went down later that night and it was even eearier. As you come over the Long Island Bridge towards the island and look on the left, there are some ice wall standing straight up on the shore. They must be 6 feet tall. I can see how these would do damage
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
tpabrad

On the Friday of derby weekend we heard some awesome sounds before it got above freezing. The best way i can describe it is it sounded like UFO's screaming by under the ice. I've heard the big booms before on previous visits but never heard those types of sounds. Pretty amazing.
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Sounds In Paugus Bay

A few years ago, I was working on my boat at Irwin's when the ice chunks were moving quickly towards the dam. The sounds of them crashing into the bridge sounded just like breaking glass. Scared the heck out of me until I actually "saw" the noise! Stevie
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
John A. Birdsall

Default ice swounds

If you really want to know what the noise is, it is Loons, they are tired of being under the ice so they are crying for summer.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
sum-r breeze

Default won't be too long now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
We were down at the water this morning around 11:00 inspecting the ice damage to our landing. It was amazing to hear the sounds of the ice. Very haunting sounds. Cracking sounds but more than that, very loud, dove-like calls radiating up out of the ice and floating across the bay toward us. I really can't descibe this sound adequately but it was amazing. Almost a kind of singing really, coming in every few minutes, some very loud, some almost a whisper. We could hear them up at the cottage too, very far away.

Now to the landing. In the six years we've been there we've never seen any kind of damage but today, OH BOY! Our poles, which should be standing up straight, are now bent over and heading toward Big Island. The 2 x 6" framework has been split, and is pulling away from the landing, and the landing is sliding, being pulled by the pent poles toward the lake. We secured it with chains and come-a-long to some trees until we have a better chance to access the problem. Hope it holds! Yikes. New spring project.

There's also still a bob house on Paugus down near Spinnaker. Hope it's on pontoons! There's open water on the West side of Paugus at least 20-30 feet out from shore depending on location, and the winds are breaking the ice up fast. Please be careful!
Sorry to hear about the damage, Sue but Ice out will be early this year so maybe repairs will happen sooner rather than later. We can't wait to visit you at your landing dock for a sunset cocktail! Keep us updated, we can lend a hand with the repairs just give us a call.

Walter
The Breeze
Wave 'cuz we'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Water Camper

Default Thanks Harry!

Thanks so much for your offer! We'll give you a call when we're ready to shore it up. Shouldn't be too bad a repair job. A couple stong guys is all we need. And yes, cocktails on the landing and a nice long, overdue visit!
Sue