Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Anniversary Dinner Suggestions ?

Looking for restaurant suggestions for and anniversary dinner ?
Quiet, romantic and of course must have excellent food !

Was thinking ' Van Horn Dining Room' (The Manor On Golden Pond),
' Inn On Newfound Lake', and locally O' Steaks and Seafood' in Laconia (but not really romantic place)

Other suggestions appreciated, out as far as Concord.

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
winni83

Look at Osteria Poggio in Center Harbor.

https://www.osteriapoggio.com/

It is one of our favorites. For our 49th Anniversary I reserved the cupola at the top of the roof. Room for one table and two chairs. Multiple windows. You can order off the menu or talk to Sweets the owner/chef and do a customized chef’s menu which can be different items for each of you. But note that it requires you to go up 4 flights of stairs, some of which are not as long as the others. It was a home run and we did the chef’s menu (I met in person with Sweets to plan the menu)
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-23-2021), granitebox (08-06-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Woody38

Had our anniversary dinner at Lions Den, difficult to beat at the lake. I think it is romantic looking at the docks and mountains. Each to his own. For a menu the selection is remarkable. Delicious.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Had our anniversary dinner at Lions Den, difficult to beat at the lake. I think it is romantic looking at the docks and mountains. Each to his own. For a menu the selection is remarkable. Delicious.
A few years ago we went to the New Woodshed for our anniversary. We were very disappointed in both food and service. Not a very happy long ride home. A few days later the makeup dinner was at the Lyon's Den. Excellent food and service for a lot less $$.

Shibley's is another good choice on the water. A reservation in advance may get you a table by the window in either place.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-22-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #5
8gv

O

Every anniversary.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Something special?

Obviously, everybody here loves the Lyons Den. They're tops. But, we go there frequently. How many in your party? For a very small group I'd go to Mis en Place, or a little more driving, to Crystal Quail in Ctr Barnstead.
If you have a larger group, I'd book the Winnipesaukee Spirit. We haven't had a lot of feedback on her yet, but they're certainly ready to put their best foot forward. Friends have already booked an anniversary party for 2022.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Happy Anniversary!

Our anniversary is Valentine's Day, a bit more difficult to get a romantic dinner. As mention above 'Inn at Newfound' and 'Van Horn' dining room are excellent choices. O's do have a back room that can be romantic. Foster Boiler room in Plymouth comes to mind as well. The original 'Common Man' in Ashland is an excellent choice. The Homestead in Bristol is nice next to the fireplace.

A great 2-day anniversary getaway is the 'Mountain View Grand Resort' in Whitefield. Reservation in the wine cellar pulls all the stops!

I've yet to visit Pickering House in Wolfeboro. It has great reviews as a romantic getaway. Wolfeboro Inn is too busy and pricey.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #8
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Our anniversary is Valentine's Day, a bit more difficult to get a romantic dinner. As mention above 'Inn at Newfound' and 'Van Horn' dining room are excellent choices. O's do have a back room that can be romantic. Foster Boiler room in Plymouth comes to mind as well. The original 'Common Man' in Ashland is an excellent choice. The Homestead in Bristol is nice next to the fireplace.

A great 2-day anniversary getaway is the 'Mountain View Grand Resort' in Whitefield. Reservation in the wine cellar pulls all the stops!

I've yet to visit Pickering House in Wolfeboro. It has great reviews as a romantic getaway. Wolfeboro Inn is too busy and pricey.
The Pickering's restaurant is The Pavilion next door. Both the inn and the restaurant are very expensive and *lack views.*
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
MeredithMan

Default A second vote for Osterio Poggio

We did the anniversary dinner at Osterio two years ago. Just like Winni83, we did the Cupola room, with their custom dinner, (they decide on the courses and the wine pairings). It was fantastic. The only thing to consider is that it is VERY tight quarters in the cupola, along with a steep stairway or two. We are not huge people, (5-9 and 5-5), and it was very tight. If you are tall or have any mobility issues, the Cupola room there is probably not a good option...sit somewhere else in the restaurant.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
We did the anniversary dinner at Osterio two years ago. Just like Winni83, we did the Cupola room, with their custom dinner, (they decide on the courses and the wine pairings). It was fantastic. The only thing to consider is that it is VERY tight quarters in the cupola, along with a steep stairway or two. We are not huge people, (5-9 and 5-5), and it was very tight. If you are tall or have any mobility issues, the Cupola room there is probably not a good option...sit somewhere else in the restaurant.
I totally agree with everything MM says including the importance of how big you are (we’re 5-5 and 5-3). Perhaps check it out before you make reservations.

The experience was truly one of a kind.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Meredith AK

Default Moritomo in Concord

Seeing as you said as far as Concord, I suggest Moritomo in Concord.
If you're a sushi fan, their Moritomo Love Boat and a Scorpion bowl / Mai Tai did the trick for our 30th. We were able to sit in one of their sunken rooms, with a closed door, for privacy and only disturbed when drinks and our meal order was delivered. The flaming 151 rum in the center of the Scorpion bowl acted as our "candle".
Attached Images

Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith AK For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-11-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Squam Lake Inn

Great spot!

VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #13
FlyingScot

I like the Manor on Golden Pond idea, though I have not been in 10 years or so.

Another place--to which I've never been, but will once my wife is OK at indoor restaurants--The Pavillion in Wolfeboro looks great.
Very new, very high end https://www.pavilionwolfeboro.com/
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
lakeadoodle

Default Anniversary Dinner

This place is excellent. Happy anniversary!

https://www.innkitchen.com/menus.html
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Here's a hidden gem over in this neck of the woods at Province Lake Golf Club. The Carriage House and Bistro get consistently good reviews. BTW the Bistro Medallions are to die for! https://www.provincelakegolf.com/ima...eb2021Meus.pdf
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-22-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #16
eyenotall777

Default Crystal Quail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Obviously, everybody here loves the Lyons Den. They're tops. But, we go there frequently. How many in your party? For a very small group I'd go to Mis en Place, or a little more driving, to Crystal Quail in Ctr Barnstead.
If you have a larger group, I'd book the Winnipesaukee Spirit. We haven't had a lot of feedback on her yet, but they're certainly ready to put their best foot forward. Friends have already booked an anniversary party for 2022.
The Crystal Quail has been permanently closed for a couple years now unfortunately
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyenotall777 For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #17
tbonies

Nothing against the previous recommendations, but they are basically a list of the lake restaurants you can do anytime. Try going about 45 miles north to the Sugar Hill Inn for the anniversary. It’s unique and perfect for an anniversary. The Mrs. will be impressed with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Nothing against the previous recommendations, but they are basically a list of the lake restaurants you can do anytime. Try going about 45 miles north to the Sugar Hill Inn for the anniversary. It’s unique and perfect for an anniversary. The Mrs. will be impressed with you.

...and stay overnight...for dessert
Old 08-20-2021, 11:54 PM   #19
Descant

Default Annivrsary?

It's not always the event/date that have the best memories. We stayed at the Town Line in Gorham for Norwegian Independence Day (May 17) with our kids in the next room and our Newfoundland, Emily. We went to breakfast and left Emily alone. Usually no problem, but our kids, in the adjoining room didn't put out the "Do Not Disturb " sign. Room service came by and let Emily out. She followed the crowds to the dining room and was tall enough to trigger the automatic door opener. While we were eating, I got paged. No cell phones back then. A minute later, a lady came through the dining room asking every table if they owned a big black dog. Ha! Emily was at the front desk eating bacon. What hotel takes better care of your kids?
We strongly recommend the Town Line Motel both for food and hospitality. It's OK to bring your dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (08-21-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Owl's Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Here's a hidden gem over in this neck of the woods at Province Lake Golf Club. The Carriage House and Bistro get consistently good reviews. BTW the Bistro Medallions are to die for! https://www.provincelakegolf.com/ima...eb2021Meus.pdf
Owl's Nest is another gem! Not in the Lakes Region but a beautiful part of NH nevertheless. https://www.owlsnestresort.com/panorama_six82/
MBNeckguy (08-24-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #21
ACME on the Broads

Default Romantic Anniversary Dinner?...Forget The New Woodshed

Anywhere but The New Woodshed!

The bald manager is plain rude, he possesses zero people skills and is a poor representative for what used to be one of the finest restaurants in the Northeast, amazingly, he maintains his job?

We haven't returned in over 11 months, after 3 terrible experiences, it's likely we never will. For the record, we were really pulling for TNW, it's a damn shame The New Woodshed never lived up to the original Woodshed's fantastic standards.

Lynn S, now there was a talent that knew not only how to operate a restaurant, she treated her guests like family and always with a touch of class!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-23-2021), BroadHopper (08-24-2021), joey2665 (08-22-2021), Slickcraft (08-23-2021), Sully (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #22
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post

The bald manager is plain rude, he possesses zero people skills and is a poor representative for what used to be one of the finest restaurants in the Northeast, amazingly, he maintains his job?

We haven't returned in over 11 months, after 3 terrible experiences, it's likely we never will. For the record, we were really pulling for TNW, it's a damn shame The New Woodshed never lived up to the original Woodshed's fantastic standards.

Lynn S, now there was a talent that knew not only how to operate a restaurant, she treated her guests like family and always with a touch of class!
Agree! We have gone 3 times also and each time was worse than the last, I'm done.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #23
Sully

Default Warning: Do not be "Taken to The Woodshed!"

There was a time when we felt that The Woodshed couldn't be beat for great service, atmosphere, relaxation, food and drink. We sadly recall seeing Scott O. standing alone in the parking lot staring at what little remained on the morning after the fire.

We were so excited for the opening of The New Woodshed. And then, just like "ACME on the Broads" and so many others, we too, gave TNW the opportunity to strike out after three terribly unsuccessful attempts to replicate our past fond memories.

And yes, ACME....we too found the little bald guy to be rude, in fact, it is hard for us to imagine that he is still there. We were hoping someone took him to the woodshed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post

Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Every year, we think about going to TNW, but then we view the menu and read reviews like this and, well, don't go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #25
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Every year, we think about going to TNW, but then we view the menu and read reviews like this and, well, don't go!

I really like it. It is poofier than most of your favorites and it's expensive, but not super poofy. We've been a handful of times, and except for one night when they were overwhelmed, food, service, atmosphere were all great.

It's fascinating how much enmity has been generated by the manager, especially with no specifics attached. I don't quite understand that. Maybe because it's a bit more formal?
Old 08-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #26
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

O's is waaay better!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #27
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I really like it. It is poofier than most of your favorites and it's expensive, but not super poofy. We've been a handful of times, and except for one night when they were overwhelmed, food, service, atmosphere were all great.

It's fascinating how much enmity has been generated by the manager, especially with no specifics attached. I don't quite understand that. Maybe because it's a bit more formal?
You might want to go to the Everything Winnipesaukee Facebook page and see the post from a long time NWS customer that recently had a unbelievably terrible experience with specifics you are asking for.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-24-2021), Biggd (08-24-2021), FlyingScot (08-23-2021), Sully (08-24-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #28
Descant

Default No help

Criticism of the New Woodshed doesn't help the OP. On this thread, it doesn't help anybody who goes to the Restaurant section looking for reviews. I suggest if you ant to critique a particular establishment, you do it on the thread related to that establishment where interested parties will see it. $0.02.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #29
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Criticism of the New Woodshed doesn't help the OP. On this thread, it doesn't help anybody who goes to the Restaurant section looking for reviews. I suggest if you ant to critique a particular establishment, you do it on the thread related to that establishment where interested parties will see it. $0.02.
I believe it does. The OP is looking for a place to go for their anniversary and New Woodshed was suggested which leaves it open for people to reply they had good or bad experiences in order for the same OP to make a decision. JMO

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-01-2021), Descant (08-24-2021), MBNeckguy (08-24-2021)