Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Steve1

Post Is Lake Winni comparable to Smith mountain lake in Virginia

Hello, I am thinking of moving closer to family down south in Virginia but I prefer to live near a lake. I looked up some and Smith mountain lake seemed like a miniature winni in the south. It's surrounded by small mountains and it is quite big. Only thing I'm curious about is if any of you have visited both. Is the water nicer and is it comparable to lake winni and what is the bottom like lastly. Thank you
Steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
granitebox

Not even close.

Smith Mountain lake has fluctuated water levels (daily) as the has a hydro station on it and pumps also. During the night the water levels rise, during the day, they fall as demand increases.

As far as clarity - forget about it. Can't even compare, there is no clarity at SML. The bottom is mainly clay/mud. There are rocks.

Remember, SML is a man made lake - the shore line, where developed is stabilized with lots of rip rap. The undeveloped portions are still functional farms where you will see cows at the waters edge and you can get farm runoff.

I'm from NH, visit frequently but live and have family in the south including on Leesville Lake (the river below SML on the other side of the dam.

Overall you will need to reset your compass, comparing southern lakes to Winni isn't going to result in your satisfaction, compare them to other southern lakes and make the best selection based upon what's important to you.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
Steve1 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
thebix

Default What about Bob

Rent the movie What About Bob. All about Lake Winni, but actually filmed on SML!

We are native New Englanders but spend a few years in Richmond, Virginia (now back home for retirement and to be near the grand kids!), We spent weekends on SML for 10 years in an RV at campgrounds at SML (Mitchell Point at the end),

Very nice lake, much warmer water (swim in mid-May, lighted boat parade for Christmas).
Its like several long wide rivers that twist and turn as you go upstream, and then the water gets very shallow upstream.
The bottom is muddy (it was created in 1963 so it hasn't had the thousands of years that Winni had to form sand), few rocks and islands but some fallen buried trees from when the lake was formed from the dam.

Visit the power dam, very interesting story of the construction. of the lake.

Only one 'port' to visit, the Bridgwater Plaza. But if one is at the Crazy Horse Marina, its a nice long ride down the Blackwater channel to the main lake then upriver on the Roanoke to Bridgewater.

The area is very rural, long ride over the mountain roads to any city shopping.
Summer weather is HOT and HUMID, but it is Virginia, 20 days of above 95 in July!
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thebix For This Useful Post:
Steve1 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
jetlag100

It appears that Smith Mountain Lake is much bigger than Winni...says 500 miles of shoreline? Made me look it up when I saw your post...thanks for my days "lesson"
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

I have been raised on L. Winnipesaukee my entire life, except for a few years when I first got married. At that time we lived on Smith Mountain Lake. There is NO COMPARISON! As others have stated the lake is man made and the water is very murky. I always felt dirty when I was in it. The lake has fish that look like the sunfish on lake Winnipesaukee. They do not just nibble. When they bite they draw blood. I couldn't even put my young son in the lake. One 4th of July we took the boat to the fireworks. They let off one firework and that was it. I was shocked. Right before I moved they were in Moneta, VA (where we lived) filming "What About Bob". I took photos and when I moved back to NH I wrote an article which was printed in the Meredith News. After we moved the taxes in Moneta were increased above belief. Yes the winters are warmer, but the summer's are very hot. The temperature of the water in the summer was too hot for my liking. I think you can guess what lake I like better. I do not want to be anywhere else except L. Winnipesaukee during the summer and fall.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Steve1 (08-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I think it's awesome how many people here know SML!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
thebix

Default Less than half the size of Winni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
It appears that Smith Mountain Lake is much bigger than Winni...says 500 miles of shoreline? Made me look it up when I saw your post...thanks for my days "lesson"
SML is 32 square miles of water, Winni is 72. The SML shoreline is huge because it was made from a number of rivers combined, long and skinny. The largest body of open water reminds me of Moultonboro Bay, not the center of Winni!
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thebix For This Useful Post:
Steve1 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
winterh

As i get older I think about how I would love to live on a lake like Winni but have warm weather most of the year. From what little research I have done. They don't exist. Lakes in the south are just different. Muddy, often man made, weeds...
I spent some time in MN and was amazed at how filled with weeds the lakes were there to. I think I will stay here and put up with the winters.
Lake Tahoe, maybe the big one in Idaho..? Never been there but those look nice
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
beantownbaby

Default Is Lake Winni comparable to Smith mountain lake in Virginia

The members of this forum are so helpful. It has been interesting reading about SML. Does anyone have answers to the same questions about Lake Norman in NC? We love it here but are considering this lake down the road when we are older. Thank you for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by beantownbaby; 08-03-2016 at 10:17 PM.
beantownbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #10
GusMan

Hi All,

Having fished all my life in NH, I agree, southern lakes are completely different from our pristine natural lakes.

I have fished many southern lakes (mostly manmade reservoirs) including Santee Cooper, Hartwell, Wylie, Murray, Keowee, and Jocassee in South Carolina. Guntersville, Wilson, Wheeler, and Pickwick in Alabama. And a couple in Florida... The closest I've found to anything like our Lakes is Jocassee in SC... a mountain reservoir with pretty clear water (deep!) and smallies and trout to boot. Keowee is a distant second, but really nice too.

Oh...but watch for gators too!

Cheers.....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #11
8gv

I have no SM Lake experience but I have fished Lake Anna.

I was amazed at how murky it was. The water didn't look tinged, it looked like coffee with cream.

If I had grown up there it would be ok. New England lakes, especially Winnie,
have me spoiled!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:39 AM   #12
Steve1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantownbaby View Post
The members of this forum are so helpful. It has been interesting reading about SML. Does anyone have answers to the same questions about Lake Norman in NC? We love it here but are considering this lake down the road when we are older. Thank you for any help.
I just joined a couple of days ago and I am very impressed with how nice and informative people are on this forum. I am also curious myself about lake murray in SC which is similar to Lake Norman. There is already a forum here comparing Norman and Winni. Here is the link:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10810
Steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve1 For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
donnamatrix

Default SML no contest with Winni

Hi Steve: My sister-in-law just sold house on SML in Goodview, VA. The lakes are totally different. We much prefer Winni. Better water quality, clarity, temperature, no water moccasin snakes!! Also, it gets so damn hot down there, I couldn't deal with it. Great fishing, though!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Steve1 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
dickiej

Try Lake Norman in North Carolina.....three times the size of Winni! Water clarity is good, but bottom is red clay so it reflects the sunlight back up and appears to be cloudy. We have a friend who has a 22' toon and we love to put around the lake seeing the NASCAR drivers homes......HUGE, some with heli pads!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (08-12-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #15
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Try Lake Norman in North Carolina.....three times the size of Winni! Water clarity is good, but bottom is red clay so it reflects the sunlight back up and appears to be cloudy. We have a friend who has a 22' toon and we love to put around the lake seeing the NASCAR drivers homes......HUGE, some with heli pads!
According to Google, Lake Norman is 22 sq miles smaller than Winni. Maybe it just seems bigger.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #16
dickiej

I think longer but narrower.....another TVA man made lake.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #17
Barney Bear

Default Lake Norman Size

Wikipedia indicates that Lake Norman is just over 50 square miles in area. Photos show a beautiful location. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (08-12-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #18
HomeWood

The lakes down here in the Raleigh, NC area are blah. Tan or even brown water from the mud/clay and it feels gross to touch the bottom. You usually can't see more than maybe 2-3 feet into the water. Most if not all around here are man made. I live on a small pond and it is not for swimming. Storm water runs into it and who knows what kind of bacteria and stuff are in it. The fishing is okay and it's good for an evening canoe ride. It's nice to look out over when eating dinner or having morning coffee. Give me the lakes region everyday and twice on Sunday! Oh, ya..I'll be up next week!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #19
chasedawg

Default Why is this even a discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
The lakes down here in the Raleigh, NC area are blah. Tan or even brown water from the mud/clay and it feels gross to touch the bottom. You usually can't see more than maybe 2-3 feet into the water. Most if not all around here are man made. I live on a small pond and it is not for swimming. Storm water runs into it and who knows what kind of bacteria and stuff are in it. The fishing is okay and it's good for an evening canoe ride. It's nice to look out over when eating dinner or having morning coffee. Give me the lakes region everyday and twice on Sunday! Oh, ya..I'll be up next week!
Please don't compare and downgrade our beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee to those other Southern Lakes. There is no comparison. Most all are man made with red clay or some other mucky bottom. If you want to compare try Lake Tahoe for starters. Lake Tahoe has been described as the Lake Winni of the West. I have traveled to Lake Tahoe. It is beautiful. But I would not want to live there and boat there. Now if you want to start a new conversation please discuss the lakes out West like Lake Tahoe. That to me would be more informative.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #20
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Please don't compare and downgrade our beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee to those other Southern Lakes. There is no comparison. Most all are man made with red clay or some other mucky bottom. If you want to compare try Lake Tahoe for starters. Lake Tahoe has been described as the Lake Winni of the West. I have traveled to Lake Tahoe. It is beautiful. But I would not want to live there and boat there. Now if you want to start a new conversation please discuss the lakes out West like Lake Tahoe. That to me would be more informative.
But how would talking about Lake Tahoe help the guy out who wants to move south to be close to family?
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (08-12-2016), Descant (08-09-2016), HomeWood (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #21
ApS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1 View Post
I just joined a couple of days ago and I am very impressed with how nice and informative people are on this forum. I am also curious myself about lake murray in SC which is similar to Lake Norman. There is already a forum here comparing Norman and Winni. Here is the link:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10810
Alligators and muddy waters in South Carolina?

The complaints about Southern lakes make me appreciate more the clear lakes of Central Florida.

Catch two Largemouth Bass with one cast!

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/show...221#post252221

Old 08-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #22
Billy Bob

Default Snakes and stuff

We lived down there for a time and if you want water the ocean is the only way to go . The lakes are loaded with all kinds of stuff from bacteria to snakes and gators , nightmare stuff . I hear banjos
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Lake Norman

My wife's cousin has a cottage on Norman and we have visited twice. We were not impressed with the lake. (However he is impressed with Winni every time he visits here). It is a dammed up river, long and narrow. Compared to Winni the water was warm and murky.

Results of secchi disk testing on Norman showed visibility down to 70.4" or 5.9 feet:
http://www.lakenormanpublications.co...8a532f9d3.html

My wife and I sampled a deep spot on Winni the past 5 years. The average visable secchi disk depth was 9.6 meters or 31.5 feet. More than 5 times the viewing depth of Lake Norman.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 08-06-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #24
HomeWood

Quote:
Can you point out where I downgraded Winnipesaukee? Seriously, point it out. I said, "Give me the lakes region everyday and twice on Sunday" Winnipesaukee is in the lakes region of NH. Check a map of the USA and you'll see that Raleigh, NC is closer to VA than Lake Tahoe is. The lakes in VA are similar to lakes in NC. My cousin lives on a lake in VA and I recall the water quality being similar to my local lakes. The OP was talking about southern lakes, so your post about Tahoe is even less informative here.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #25
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
Ok I agree. this is what you posted. Help me understand your issue.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #26
HomeWood

Quote:
Ok I agree. this is what you posted. Help me understand your issue.
Issue? I was sharing information about what the lakes are generally like in this region of the country. Have a good night.