Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
DoTheMath

Default Irwin Toyota

If given the opportunity, would you buy a new car from these guys? They have a new Toyota that I am interested in and there are no dealers down here that have what I am looking for. I've bought plenty of new cars, and I'll buy this one over the phone, just don't want a hassle or run-around. Esp. with the way the market is today... TIA!
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

What difference does the selling dealer have to do with it if they've got the car you want and the price that works? The only concern I'd have would be with the servicing dealer (if you plan on warranty work or dealer-provided service).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
DoTheMath

Just looking for good, bad or indifferent sales experiences. I will most-likely be servicing it with them for the first two years as it is included in the price. Aside of that, I was looking for constructive feedback from people that have had direct experience with the dealership. Do you have any experience you could share? That would be helpful...
Old 02-03-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Not with Irwin, no. It sounded like you'd be buying it there and taking it somewhere else, though, so my point was that if they've got what you want—which doesn't really exist right now—and the price is right—which also doesn't really exist right now—that it would be worth putting up with an imperfect sales experience and, maybe, even an imperfect service experience.

I have, however, dealt with Ira in Manchester, and they've been pretty awesome for the last 4 years I've had my 4Runner.

Can Toyota swap vehicles from dealer to dealer? And you can take the vehicle to any Toyota dealer for any Toyota-provided service, including the 2-years of included maintenance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
DoTheMath (02-03-2022), DotRat (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
tummyman

I bought a Toyota 4Runner from them and was very pleased. My son bought a Tundra truck there two years ago and his wife has bought her own 4runner from them this fall and they both live in MA. Found Irwin to be very fair and competitive vs. the folks in MA. I will be looking for a replacement 4Runner in the spring/summer and will buy from them again. Honest people. Have use service for oil changes a few times and no issues. But you have to make an appointment as they are very busy. I like supporting local business.....keeps them viable and keeps people employed. I dealt with Craig Lachapelle if that helps. I am sure, like any place doing business, you will hear folks have good things to say and others will not. Go with your instincts and if they have the car, buy it. Supply is flaky these days.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #6
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The only concern I'd have would be with the servicing dealer (if you plan on warranty work or dealer-provided service).
All new vehicles can obtain warranty work from any dedicated brand dealer. It makes zero difference where one purchases vehicle.

Some new car dealers may throw in free car washes and such. That would be the only difference.

Have purchased new cars and new trucks from multiple New England states. Can have warranty work or ordinary service anywhere.

I did get $10.00 oil changes from a dealer in Maine. But that was it. Warranty work was done in Laconia. No one ever asked me where I purchased the vehicle. And in Laconia - I still got a free car wash with all service.

The service departments do not care where you purchased the new vehicle. And anyone who thinks that they are getting 'special' treatment live in a fantasy world.

I even got exceptional warranty work in some hick town in Iowa on one new vehicle.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
DoTheMath (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
All new vehicles can obtain warranty work from any dedicated brand dealer. It makes zero difference where one purchases vehicle.

Some new car dealers may throw in free car washes and such. That would be the only difference.

Have purchased new cars and new trucks from multiple New England states. Can have warranty work or ordinary service anywhere.

I did get $10.00 oil changes from a dealer in Maine. But that was it. Warranty work was done in Laconia. No one ever asked me where I purchased the vehicle. And in Laconia - I still got a free car wash with all service.

The service departments do not care where you purchased the new vehicle. And anyone who thinks that they are getting 'special' treatment live in a fantasy world.

I even got exceptional warranty work in some hick town in Iowa on one new vehicle.
Yes, hence why I suggested that if it was the right car and price, it didn't matter where it would be bought.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #8
8gv

I bought a new Tacoma from Irwin in 2021.

My sales person was Michelle.

It was a very tight time for inventory but she found the truck I wanted with the exact equipment requirements I gave her.

It was located in Maine so I had it in a few days.

For sales I give them an A+.

The truck went in to their service shop twice.

The first time was for a bit of pulling to one side.

Without hesitation they did an alignment and got it right for me.

The second visit was for the factory paid 10,000 mile service.

They did that as expected.

Both times they worked on the truck when they said they would and were done on time.

For service I give them an A+.

Each person with whom I interacted at Irwin gave me the impression that they genuinely appreciate my business.

Non pertinent, unnecessary additional info.:

As it turns out, a truck was not the correct vehicle for me.

After six months and 11,500 miles, I sold the truck to CarMax for a profit.

Try that in "normal" times and your wallet will hurt for years.

A new Subaru Ascent (a.k.a. "Bigaru") replaced it.

The SUV fits my needs perfectly and Belknap Subaru has been excellent as well.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #9
DoTheMath

Well, that all sounds good to me! Thanks everyone, it's nice to hear good things about a dealership. Appreciate the quick and candid feedback, with a little luck I'll have a new vehicle in the next few days. ...and get to enjoy some hockey on the lake!
Old 02-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
Well, that all sounds good to me! Thanks everyone, it's nice to hear good things about a dealership. Appreciate the quick and candid feedback, with a little luck I'll have a new vehicle in the next few days. ...and get to enjoy some hockey on the lake!
Good luck, friend!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
DoTheMath (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have bought four new Toyota vehicles from them; all has been good. I bought two Tundras, 2012 and 2018. My wife two RAV4s 2016 and 2020. In each case below “dealer cost” into the hold-back range with very little negotiating.

Overall, the service dept had been very good for a dealer. I did have two minor issues that the service manager took care of right away.

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
DoTheMath (02-04-2022), DotRat (02-03-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 06:09 AM   #12
GodSmile

Default Good experience buying there

Bought new a Highlander there. They searched for exactly what I wanted and found it. Price was very competitive.
My service experience was mixed at best. I no longer take it there as it is out of warranty.
Bottom line, I would buy there again.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GodSmile For This Useful Post:
DoTheMath (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Car Dealers

All car dealers have to give you the current factory incentives for new and used vehicles. They vary among brands. The cost of new cars is pretty competitive among all dealers, so that shouldn't be a factor. It's the dealer's perks that make the difference. Factories do not regulate the perks.

Dealers service dept. varies widely. Factories don't regulate the service other than warrantee service. This is where most problems are, on regular maintenance.

As for buying a vehicle, sales can get what you want, and you can dicker perks, such as dealer ABC is offering lifetime car washes, you want it too. I would rather buy local, and that will be my first choice.

For warranty work and dealers' service dept can do that. I buy a car in NH and get my warrantee work in Colorado, no problems. Otherwise, I support my local indie.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not so good

Back in 2010, I bought a Corolla at Irwin. Loved the salesman, a young fella, low key, low pressure. We stuck a good deal and we walked out happy, including free 2 yr / 24,000 mile routine maintenance.
Went in for the 5,000 mile maintenance and was going to wait. Stuck my head on the sales floor to say hi to our sales guy and his desk was empty. I found out from the sales manager that he left a few months earlier and they were in the process of sending out letters about him leaving, and giving a name of a new sales person. Never got the letter.

After the freebie maintenance was over, every time I picked up my car after servicing, they had a recommendation for this service or that service. Once my warranty was up, then it was monthly emails about a great deal on a new car. I finally asked the service dept about all the sales emails and didn't they have confidence in their vehicles? "We'd like to think they will last forever, but you never know." Stopped going there for maintenance.

Two years ago my wife wanted a new car, and decided she wanted a Camry. We searched the internet and found a used Camry with 18,000 miles. We headed to the dealership and bought the Camry. Oh, the dealership was Rochester Toyota. We've been very satisfied with them.

And the Corolla? It will turn 190,000 miles in about 40 miles.

Glad so many have had a good experience.

Dave
Old 02-04-2022, 04:27 PM   #15
camp guy

Default Irwin Toyota

I bought a new 2009 Ford Ranger, have had all service done at Irwin, have had some body work done through them, and have never had an issue with them. I call up to schedule service, explain what I want, deliver the truck and wait in the lounge till it's done. One time I went eyeball-to-eyeball with a service writer, and another service writer (one I had dealt several times before) stepped in and in two sentences resolved the difference (in my favor). I would certainly buy another vehicle from them, new or used.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Toyota dealers will transfer NEW inventory between one another within the same region so you can make the transaction at a more local dealer.

Just have to ask. I've done this a couple of times.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #17
DoTheMath

Well, in todays market of low supply and high-ish demand, here's how it went... Called Irwin on Thursday, confirmed with sales manager vehicle (new '22 Toyota) is in stock. I said I'll be in Sat am to check it out and will buy unless it is something other than represented. So, got there Sat am, as I said I would be, vehicle out and ready for test drive. Sales guy gave me the keys, I asked "anything I should know about it beyond the obvious". He pointed out a few features and sent me on my way. Went for a ride, was as as expected (owned two of these previously), so went back, gave the sales guy the keys, he asked how I liked it, I said I loved it, let's close the deal. At THAT POINT he asked "did you talk pricing with the manager?" I replied "not really, I saw the pricing on your website, I just wanted to confirm that it was still available before I drove up". To which he replied "oh, ok, well there is a $4,000 Market Adjustment (about +10% of MSRP) on the vehicle due to the current supply shortage". The look on my face said it all and I came back with a "WTH", and I said "I'll pay you sticker". He said no-go and I walked out, but not before delivering my thoughts to him (in a professional manner) on the non-disclosure of said MA after I expressed my interest in (really) buying it to the mgr., and BEFORE I drove 2 hours up, took it for a test drive and then sat down to seal the deal. I said, "you have my number, call me if anything changes".

Should I have asked if there was an MA on it when I called? Hmm, maybe. But there was no proactive mention on the website of it or from the manager when we spoke. Are dealers doing this these days, some are. (Although GM and Ford recently issued warnings to their dealers, no MA's or we'll pull your franchise). Was this a shady BS move on their part? Sure felt like it. Wouldn't care about it in general, as someone will prob buy it anyway with the MA on it, but I do care that they didn't disclose it to me up front and ended up wasting my time.

Got to the house and called another dealer in NH that day, sold me the exact same vehicle at MSRP and even offered to deliver it to me - in MA - for free. No BS, no hidden fees, no haggle, just a straight deal. Bought it right then, over the phone in 5min. Irwin would have been more convenient and I would have loved to have kept the business in the lakes region. But as stated by a few previously, you can buy "here" and service anywhere.

Lesson learned? Yep. Ask ALL the questions, CYA as the dealer wasn't looking out for me so much as themselves. Which is what they are really in business for, I guess, but sure would have been nice if they played it straight from the get-go.

Side note - riding was great this past wknd, cold but trails were in great shape, Mt. Shaw had lots of snow!

Off my soapbox, rant over, enjoy your day and thanks again for all the feedback... now you have mine to add to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoTheMath For This Useful Post:
KennyFromBoston (02-08-2022), Slickcraft (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

DoTheMath: If they advertised a price on their website and would not sell it for that price I would make a complaint to the Attorney Generals office.

Broadhopper: I have found that prices are not "competitive" between all dealers.

Two examples: I spoke to Cantin's about ordering a new car in 2020. The wait was about 18 months. They would not sell it for MSRP and insisted they needed the usual BS additions: Nitrogen, fabric protector, finish protector (probably Lemon Pledge) wheel locks Etc. I went to MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua and ordered the same car for MSRP with no dealer fee.

Several years ago I wanted a new Tahoe. I started at Cantin and shopped around to 3 or 4 dealers. I ended up buying it at a dealer in Danvers MA for 2% into the holdback. It was about $5,000 less than Cantin wanted for the same car.

I go into it with the attitude that it is a game to most dealers to see how much of your money they can take. OK, I'll play!

Shopping between dealers can save a lot of money. They all make money servicing and I haven't found the treatment any different whether I bought the car there or not.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #19
billy

How does one find what the holdback is on a vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #20
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
How does one find what the holdback is on a vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It is a % of the base price:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
billy (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #21
Rockslider

I have been very happy with Irwin's Service Department on two Fords and a Toyota, but I was rather disappointed with the sales operation when I bought my truck a couple of years ago. I ended up with a good deal -- but only after considerable aggravation. The salesman kept giving me quotes on monthly payments, and broad ranges on interest rates, but kept refusing to give me the basic information I wanted: the actual sales price/principal, term, and interest rate on the loan. It took a couple of days of phone calls and eventually a terse email to the manager to finally get that basic information, which confirmed what I suspected -- they were looking for interest much higher than the prevailing rate. At that point they changed their tune, but I had already obtained a much better rate from a bank. Bottom line is that I was happy with the truck and happy with the service department, and would not rule out buying from them again -- but you have to go in as an educated, alert, and especially assertive consumer, and stick with it -- much moreso than I have found with other car dealers in recent years.
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #22
DoTheMath

Interesting sales exp. Rockslider. They didn't even attempt to save the deal, just said ok and let me walk. (Still haven't heard a word from them). In a market where it's generally tipping in the dealers favor, Irwins / others seem to be working a "two in the bush" vs "bird in hand" philosophy. It's not about gaining a customer, it's about the transactional sale, regardless of opportunity cost. SMH.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #23
8gv

When I bought my Taco in May of ‘21 the Irwin salesperson told me they were selling at MSRP “unlike the other dealers who charge extra mark up”.

I guess they have succumbed to the market pressure.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #24
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
My take on Corollas: They outlive your affection for them. At least mine did.
Especially when you can drive an exhilarating 2014 Chevy Sonic. Talk about inspiring performance!

*looks at pic, gets chills*

Old 04-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #25
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Especially when you can drive an exhilarating 2014 Chevy Sonic. Talk about inspiring performance!*looks at pic, gets chills*
Woops, I deleted my post just as you were commenting on it. I replaced the Corolla (215000 miles) with a Scion xA. That was a fantastic little car, very reliable. When it was murdered by an inept mechanic I got the Sonic---against my will, but it was the only decent used hatchback available on short notice. I never thought I would own a Chevy or any American-made car, but it has held up quite well. I think it's part of the post-2008-bailout generation of better Chevys. Still pining for a Kia Soul, though, as the Sonic is a bit small for my lifestyle (trips with bike, kayak, and camping gear). Hope the hatchback with kayak gives you more chills.
Attached Images

SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Woops, I deleted my post just as you were commenting on it. I replaced the Corolla (215000 miles) with a Scion xA. That was a fantastic little car, very reliable. When it was murdered by an inept mechanic I got the Sonic---against my will, but it was the only decent used hatchback available on short notice. I never thought I would own a Chevy or any American-made car, but it has held up quite well. I think it's part of the post-2008-bailout generation of better Chevys. Still pining for a Kia Soul, though, as the Sonic is a bit small for my lifestyle (trips with bike, kayak, and camping gear). Hope the hatchback with kayak gives you more chills.
*shiver*

Old 04-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #27
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default My 2010 Corolla

My next oil change on my 2010 Toyota Corolla is scheduled for 192,500 miles. I only have 2,400 miles to go.

Dave
Old 04-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #28
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My next oil change on my 2010 Toyota Corolla is scheduled for 192,500 miles. I only have 2,400 miles to go.

Dave
It's not too late to come to your senses and let go of this car. ;-) Though many of us are stuck with what we have due to the lack of other choices on the market and high prices for used cars. I'm grateful that I was forced to buy a new car in fall 2019, right before the pandemic.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-12-2022)