Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Red face McLear and Ray Team Up for Changes in Meredith

from the Laconia Sun
Quote:

Meredith Bay-side inn and restaurant reveal plans for the property between them

By Michael Kitch
Feb 29, 2012 12:00 am

MEREDITH — Rusty McLear of Hampshire Hospitality Holdings, Inc. presented conceptual plans for the redevelopment of the lot lying between the Town Docks Restaurant and the inn at Church Landing to the Planning Board last night in anticipation of making a formal site plan approval application next month.
The building on the half-acre lot with 204 feet of frontage on Meredith Bay was constructed for the Yield House, a furniture outlet, in 1956 and featured a pond and water wheel in the forecourt. The Christmas Loft store operated on the site for nearly 20 years before closing a year ago.
Last year McLear, who operates the Inns at Mill Falls, and Alex Ray of the Common Man Family of Restaurants, of which the Town Docks is one, acquired the property for $1,050,000.
McLear explained that the two businesses would share the property. The first floor, consisting of some 5,000-square-feet at the level of the lake, would be divided in half. The north half would provide additional seating for the restaurant overlooking a patch of shoreline offering space for outdoor dining.
The other half of the first floor, McLear described as an activities center for the guests of Church Landing. In the summer, the building would house kayak and canoe rentals, along with a water-ski operation. In the winter the center would serve as a base for ice skating and cross-country skiing on the lake. "If the lake freezes," McLear remarked.
He readily agreed that jet-skis would be prohibited on the site.
McLear said that half of the second floor, which is at the level of Route 3, and virtually all of the third floor has been leased to an antique dealer, leaving half the second floor available to another retail tenant. He suggested that the 24 parking space on the site would be sufficient and assured the board that the remaining space would not be let to a retailer likely to draw heavy traffic. Although there are no immediate plans to alter the exterior of the building, McLear said that eventually he intends to renovate it to match the architecture of Church Landing.
Meanwhile, McLear plans to reconfigure the southeast corner of the lot to facilitate the launching of watercraft. The half of the paved area between the rear of the building and the boat dock will be removed and the space lined by stone wall and filled with sand. A section of the stone wall along the shoreline will be removed and a channel dredged beneath the board walkway leading to the sandy area. A section of the walkway will be replaced with a bridge, providing six-and-a-half feet of clearance for those launching canoes and kayaks. The remaining paved area will be divided into 12 or 14 parking space for Church Landing.
McLear told the board that he has discussed the plan with officials of the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services who he said found it "doable from their perspective." Rene Pelletier of DES said "you're building a boathouse without building a boathouse."
John Edgar, director of Community Development, advised McLear that when he returns in March he provide plans that include both the Town Docks Restaurant and Church Landing to enable the board to place the project in context.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (03-02-2012), jkjoshuatree (02-29-2012), moose tracks (03-01-2012), Rusty (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Hmmm.Waterskiing operation huh.If I remember right McLear was a vocal supporter of the speed limit and the extended no-wake zone.Looks like it will take a while to get to the non restricted part of Meredith Bay with no possibility of shore starts and doubtfull barefooting.None of those evil jetskis either.No worries as mine is considered a boat anyway.
BroadHopper (02-29-2012), Seaplane Pilot (02-29-2012), watrskir (03-03-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
fatlazyless

It seems to me that the distance from the new kayak-canoe-rowing shell launch that's proposed between the former League of NH Craftman building and the Town Docks restaurant, and to a point outside the no-wake zone, out front of the Meredith Marina area is somewhere in the range of 100-200yards, which just means that a waterski boat would have to putt-putt along at no-wake speed for however long that distance takes to travel. It probably makes for a better water ski experience because, because, because........just because!

Trust me on this one!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Seaplane Pilot

Just a bigger building and more PROFIT CENTERS for Rusty and Alex. Too bad for them that they won't be making any PROFIT off of me. Just more places not to visit. Calling all kayakers...
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
watrskir (03-03-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Mclear lagoon

So King Mclear is going against the Shorline Protection Act and dredge a channel up to the building. He is also changing the shoreline with a rock wall and sandy beach. How much did he pay those goons in Concord for that?

Is he going to change the no wake zone back toward the town docks for his water ski operation? Talk about owning the town!
Jonas Pilot (02-29-2012), RailroadJoe (03-01-2012), Seaplane Pilot (03-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It seems to me that the distance from the new kayak-canoe-rowing shell launch that's proposed between the former League of NH Craftman building and the Town Docks restaurant, and to a point outside the no-wake zone, out front of the Meredith Marina area is somewhere in the range of 100-200yards, which just means that a waterski boat would have to putt-putt along at no-wake speed for however long that distance takes to travel. It probably makes for a better water ski experience because, because, because........just because!

Trust me on this one!
I agree. And isn't this kind of a busy spot to be letting guests who may be new to canoeing and/or kayaking out for a spin? Wouldn't the same go for novice water skiers? Especially when there's a lot of boat traffic coming in for a pint of Chubby Hubby at Ben and Jerry's?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Default Cocoanut Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
I agree. And isn't this kind of a busy spot to be letting guests who may be new to canoeing and/or kayaking out for a spin? Wouldn't the same go for novice water skiers? Especially when there's a lot of boat traffic coming in for a pint of Chubby Hubby at Ben and Jerry's?
I think I would worry about the cooanut monkey and watermelon drink skippers coming out of the town docks.
codeman671 (03-01-2012), diz (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
diz

Default Shoreline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
So King Mclear is going against the Shorline Protection Act and dredge a channel up to the building. He is also changing the shoreline with a rock wall and sandy beach. How much did he pay those goons in Concord for that?

Is he going to change the no wake zone back toward the town docks for his water ski operation? Talk about owning the town!
How does the shoreline protection thing work? I volunteered last year to do some water sampling, specifically for phosphorus loading. I was told that Meredith was pretty well scrutinized for shoreline development. It seems odd that between the work already being done at Church Landing and the stuff proposed in this post, so near the road and parking lots, would sail through.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
fatlazyless

This proposed kayak-canoe-rowing shell launching ramp, parking lot, and recreational boat house with kayak rentals that's proposed built in the basement area of the existing building that was formerly the Arts & Crafts-NH is a super-duper terrific idea. If you are familiar with that spot then you know there's already a dock-walkway constructed of posts and mahoganey decking that travels over the water for a couple hundred yards, along the water's edge, running for about 1/8 mile and is the longest, free-to-use, open to everyone, public walkway anywhere on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Blending a kayak-canoe-rowing scull venue into the Meredith Bay scene will be a very welcome addition. Paddlers and pedestrians seem to work well together in the same lake venue, and it should add a lot of kayak-paddler interest and much bigger numbers than what has been there so far. It's an excellent spot for kayak, and outside the no-wake zone, for waterskiing, which is an excellent activity, and will probably be good to liven up the Meredith Bay area with bigger numbers of self-propelled little boats.

"...you're building a boathouse without building a boathouse!"

All together now........three cheers for Rusty & Alex.....hut-hut-hut......hurray!
Rusty (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
jmen24

Quote:
This proposed kayak-canoe-rowing shell launching ramp, parking lot, and recreational boat house with kayak rentals that's proposed built in the basement area of the existing building that was formerly the Arts & Crafts-NH is a super-duper terrific idea. If you are familiar with that spot then you know there's already a dock-walkway constructed of posts and mahoganey decking that travels over the water for a couple hundred yards, along the water's edge, running for about 1/8 mile and is the longest, free-to-use, open to everyone, public walkway anywhere on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Blending a kayak-canoe-rowing scull venue into the Meredith Bay scene will be a very welcome addition. Paddlers and pedestrians seem to work well together in the same lake venue, and it should add a lot of kayak-paddler interest and much bigger numbers than what has been there so far. It's an excellent spot for kayak, and outside the no-wake zone, for waterskiing, which is an excellent activity, and will probably be good to liven up the Meredith Bay area with bigger numbers of self-propelled little boats.

"...you're building a boathouse without building a boathouse!"

All together now........three cheers for Rusty & Alex.....hut-hut-hut......hurray!
Less, you don't think for a minute that Rusty is going to allow YOU to use HIS launch for free do you. Better save your penny's, a night stay at Church Landing doesn't come cheap. Those will be the only folks with access to that launch you are cheering.

Oh and I thought the WOW trail, was the longest free-to-use walkway anywhere on Lake Winnipesaukee?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Wow....I'm not hearing a lot of love here, for Rusty's new project........let me remind those of you who have not always lived here that Meredith used to have a huge asbestos plant on the corner of rt. 3/25.Meredith back in the 70's and looked like a junky mill town until Rusty,with his vision and risking his own money and money from his partners,turned this town into the envy of the lakes region.
Everything he has touched has improved this town....oh sorry,he might have made some money for himself and his partners after putting his ba11s on the chopping block.
Those of you who have seen my posts know that I don't get argumentative often,but it is disturbing to see someone maligned who has done so much for this town.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Bear Island South (03-01-2012), Charlie T (03-01-2012), drifter (03-02-2012), GsChinadoll (03-02-2012), Jonas Pilot (03-01-2012), LTII (03-02-2012), MeredithNeck (03-01-2012), moose tracks (03-03-2012), Mooseyme (03-02-2012), nvtngtxpyr (03-02-2012), Pine Island Guy (03-02-2012), Redwing (03-02-2012), Reilly (03-05-2012), rick35 (03-01-2012), Rusty (03-01-2012), Steveo (03-02-2012), WakeboardMom (03-02-2012), winnipiseogee (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Pineedles

I don't remember Meredith ever looking junky in my lifetime (1954->. Quaint possibly, but not a junky mill town. I also don't remember an asbestos plant at the corner of 3 and 25? A strip mall diner, Truell gift shop, park land on the edge of Winnipesaukee, but not an asbestos plant?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
tummyman

There was ABSOLUTELY an asbestos plant in Meredith. It sat on the site that is currently the parking lot for the Inns at Mills Falls at the traffic lights. Make no mistake about it...it was there.
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (03-02-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
tummyman

One last thing...I totally agree with SAMIAM. As an added thought, I wonder how much the local property tax rate would have increased without the huge investment that Rusty and his partners made in Meredith. Without him and his buildings, I bet most of the things that attract people to Meredith and the local businesses would not happen. He is a big deal and has made Meredith a destination. Everyone should be thanking him for making such nice accommodations...top notch, high class, and very good for the community. Wake up !!!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (03-01-2012), GTO (03-02-2012), MeredithNeck (03-01-2012), Rusty (03-01-2012), winnipiseogee (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
winnipiseogee

Just wanted to echo Samiam and Tummy. I grew up vacationing in Meredith and its why we live here today. My mom wouldn't even let me play in Meredith Bay as a kid because you could see 55 gallon drums floating around. The EPA came in and SHUT DOWN the asbestos mill because people who parked near the mill had cars that were covered in asbestos dust at the end of everyday. It was a dump that was poisoning the families in the community.

Rusty, Alex and their business partners have done a hell of a lot for this community and I for one appreciate everything they did to make Meredith a great place to live. If more families get to kayak, canoe, water ski and ice skate then good for them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
LTII (03-02-2012), WakeboardMom (03-02-2012), Winona (03-03-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
Pineedles

OK, OK their Gods!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Default Tourist trap

I'm not crazy about all the commercalism he brought to Meredith. His tourist trap cause massive traffic jams in Meredith Center. I use to love Meredith as a small town like Center Harbor, Melvin Village etc. Some folks loves to see dollars and traffic and folks settling in Meredith which cause huge growth and taxes. Many of my friends are native of Meredith and they are not happy with the way it became.

Sure the asbestos plant was an eye sore and I know for a fact the inn sits on a brown field. So is the swamp in the back of the hardware store. Folks that use to work at the factory told me about how asbestos residue was used as landfill throughout the region. I have to admit that I am glad it was shut down.

The real problem with Meredith Bay is phosphorus and other chemicals from lawn and shrub fertilizing. I do know the landscaper and he does use harmful fertilizer on the King's land.

He may did a great job 'cleaning up' the town but he is doing more harm than good on the long run.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
chipj29

Default Why no jet skis?

Just wondering why jet skis would not be allowed on the site? Why the hatred?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
Bear247

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
There was ABSOLUTELY an asbestos plant in Meredith. It sat on the site that is currently the parking lot for the Inns at Mills Falls at the traffic lights. Make no mistake about it...it was there.
You would think I would remember an Asbestos plant.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

I certainly remember the asbestos factory on the corner. One summer I waitressed at the old Dairy Bar that was on the corner near Aubuchon's. The guys that worked at the factory came over for breaks, lunch, dinner etc. They were covered with asbestos from head to toe. I have wondered how they all doing. I was friends with a few and I know they are fine. Thank goodness- things have changed since the 1970's.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Default Weeks Diary

I remember the diary bar. Use to be the only place for the teenagers in town to hang out. Wasn't the owner name Dave from Dover NH?. I think he is one of the brothers of Weeks Diary in Laconia. Excellent ice cream!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Janet

Went to the dairy bar many many times to have a "Sissy Split". Miss the dairy bar, Sahama's and True's.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #23
camp guy

Default McLear and Ray Team up...

Gee, no one seems to thinking about the employment opportunities these gentlemen have created already, and will create with new expansion of the business, let alone the dollars being spent at other business as a result of people coming to Town.

In today's economy, whatever it takes (within the bounds of the law) is what it takes to make a living. It's their money, and if they take the risks then they deserve the rewards.
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
drifter (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
Boater

Default The Elephant in the Room

The reason some posters are maligning McLear and HHH is bitterness over the speed limit law. McLear was in favor of it so they hate him. They'd rather not have the tax revenues, jobs and improvements to Meredith if they are provided by McLear and they don't like that he is successful.

That's the world we live in today. We can't just disagree on an issue, shake hands and remain friends. Anyone who has a different view must be hated and smeared. I see that a lot when issues like the SL are discussed on this board.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
NoRegrets

This thread is going the way of the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart. We could have many potential twists in what may be there if there was not Rusty or Alex. I like Meridith and have stayed at all the inns. Church Landing is fantastic. The walkway around the docks to the Gazabo is unique. It is a special destination in a good way.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
songkrai

Quote:
The younsters don't remember the asbestos factory. No air conditioning. So all windows were open in Summer in this factory. Right on the corner at traffic lights. Used to be gas station on other (lake) side.

I met one of the maintenance workers. His claim was that at night they swept the floors. Enough asbestos powder to fill a pickup truck. His claim was that all was dumped into Meredith bay - each and every night. For decades. This was his claim anyway.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
LTII

Default Put up or shut up.

I was, and am, vehemently opposed to the speed limit law but totally respect Rusty McLear for his vision and business acumen, not to mention the enjoyment he has provided for me and many of my guests visiting the destination town of Meredith.The fact that he pushed his agenda re the speed limit earns more respect despite my disagreement. Have we gotten to the point we we have regressed into jealous children? Let those who are crying and claiming the man is dumping pollutants into the lake put up some proof or shut up. Please.
The Following User Says Thank You to LTII For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
Shore Driver

"McLear explained that the two businesses would share the property. The first floor, consisting of some 5,000-square-feet at the level of the lake, would be divided in half. The north half would provide additional seating for the restaurant overlooking a patch of shoreline offering space for outdoor dining"

This sentence is a bit confusing. Are they merely adding outdoor seating to Town Docks, or is there another restaurant going in next to Town Docks?

I suspect the former...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
One last thing...I totally agree with SAMIAM. As an added thought, I wonder how much the local property tax rate would have increased without the huge investment that Rusty and his partners made in Meredith.
It wasn't Rusty that raised my taxes to $16000. It was the town. Most of my taxes go to the schools and if Rusty hadn't added to the tax Base I wonder how much I would be Paying.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
RailroadJoe

$16,000! That's what I paid for my house.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #31
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
$16,000! That's what I paid for my house.

sure 30-40 Years ago

Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #32
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Google: Asbestos + Meredith =
Quote:
In New Hampshire, asbestos-containing products were manufactured for many years in Nashua, Meredith, and Tilton. In Meredith, the Keasbey & Mattison company operated an asbestos plant from the 1930's until 1962 when the plant was purchased by Amatex. Amatex continued to make asbestos products at the plant until late 1982....... In Meredith, asbestos waste was disposed of at the town landfill, which is now closed and capped. The existence of other dump sites in Tilton and Meredith, if any, is not known.
http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis...gories/faq.htm

Quote:
One exception to the pattern of local indifference is Loretta Germain. "I think they're a bunch of axxhxlxs," she says of the corporation that she holds responsible for her cancer -- and she is not a woman who uses such language lightly.
READ MORE ABOUT ASBESTOS in MEREDITH

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (03-02-2012), BroadHopper (03-03-2012), ishoot308 (03-02-2012), moose tracks (03-03-2012), SAMIAM (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #33
Jonas Pilot

Thanks mcdude.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
BroadHopper

Default John Mansville in Nashua

I read a lot of horror stories about the John Mansville asbestos plant on Canal St in Nashua. The building is now a warehouse for many businesses. No food or clothing can be stored there because of possible asbestos exposure.

One of my colleague at Sanders Associates died at 33 because of lung cancer possibly from asbestos exposure. He bought a house in Hudson without knowing the land was filled in with asbestos from the Nashua plant. There was a lot of finger pointing as the homeowners blamed the town, the town blamed the state, the state blamed the Feds and the Feds blamed John Mansville and John Manville blamed the homeowners. Loooong story!

I didn't know about the Tilton asbestos plant. I do know there was a plant on 28 south of Alton that use to make asbestos fire suits. They are still making fire suits but not out of asbestos.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
jmen24

Yikes, guess I picked the wrong thread to take a poke at Less.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what any of us think about what Rusty and Alex are up to. They will do whatever fits their business model or goal at the time. Anyone that has ever been in business for themselves would beg for the kind of success they have achieved. If they didn't buy it, someone else would and I would rather see the building blended with its neighbors than be turned into some national competetor of the place on the hill.

If only we can get these two to sink their teeth into the Weirs.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #36
SAMIAM

LTII,I couldn't agree more.....I was also opposed to the speed limit law because I felt that it would discourage the creme de la creme of the boating tourists from coming to our lake and was surprised that Rusty took that position.I also think it is a mistake to discourage jet skis.....sure,they annoy us all but they are here to stay so we might as well get used to them.
That said,I still think he has had a huge impact on the town of Meredith.
Actually,I wish he'd come to Center Harbour and turn that waterfront into another "Meredith"
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #37
SAMIAM

LTII,I couldn't agree more.....I was also opposed to the speed limit law because I felt that it would discourage the creme de la creme of the boating tourists from coming to our lake and was surprised that Rusty took that position.I also think it is a mistake to discourage jet skis.....sure,they annoy us all but they are here to stay so we might as well get used to them.
Actually,I wish he'd come to Center Harbour and turn that waterfront into another "Meredith"
Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #38
Pineedles

I like Centre Harbor the way it is, thank you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-02-2012), Greene's Basin Girl (03-02-2012), GsChinadoll (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #39
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater View Post
The reason some posters are maligning McLear and HHH is bitterness over the speed limit law. McLear was in favor of it so they hate him. They'd rather not have the tax revenues, jobs and improvements to Meredith if they are provided by McLear and they don't like that he is successful.

That's the world we live in today. We can't just disagree on an issue, shake hands and remain friends. Anyone who has a different view must be hated and smeared. I see that a lot when issues like the SL are discussed on this board.
I think a lot of the angst over rusty began before the speed limit, although it had everything to do with boating...And he seemed to jump on the sl bandwagon soon after.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #40
songkrai

First.
I was not the one who brought up the subject of the asbestos factory.

Second.
Every town has a public library.
I highly suggest to all who are interested to go to the library and read up on the history of their town of residence.

There are many books out there about the towns, the lake, the boats on lake, the Castle in the Clouds, and on and on.

Third.
Most towns have a Historical Society. For usually little money one can join. I recommend joining. But if funds are limited many of these Historical Societies put on talks or lecture series about the towns and the history of the towns. I highly suggest folks attend these talks or lectures or presentations provided by members and guests of the local Historical Society.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #41
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I don't disagree about the improvements that they've made in Meredith. What I do disagree with is their outspoken opinions over the speedlimit (as revenue producing entities - not as individuals). Their overt affiliation with the pro-speed limit organization is the primary reason I will not spend my money at their establishments. This organization was continually stating mistruths about irresponsible, intoxicated "Thunder Boaters" running wild around the lake, terrorizing families, children and kayakers. Yet both Mr. McLear and Mr. Ray make tremendous amounts of profit from their multiple establishments in Meredith that sell the same alcohol that they are complaining about. Therefore, they should put their money where their mouths are and curtail all alcohol sales at Lakehouse, Town Docks, Lago and Camp restaurants. That's my gripe and I'm sticking to it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-03-2012), codeman671 (03-03-2012), Grandpa Redneck (03-03-2012), pm203 (03-06-2012), Resident 2B (03-03-2012), watrskir (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I don't disagree about the improvements that they've made in Meredith. What I do disagree with is their outspoken opinions over the speedlimit (as revenue producing entities - not as individuals). Their overt affiliation with the pro-speed limit organization is the primary reason I will not spend my money at their establishments. This organization was continually stating mistruths about irresponsible, intoxicated "Thunder Boaters" running wild around the lake, terrorizing families, children and kayakers. Yet both Mr. McLear and Mr. Ray make tremendous amounts of profit from their multiple establishments in Meredith that sell the same alcohol that they are complaining about. Therefore, they should put their money where their mouths are and curtail all alcohol sales at Lakehouse, Town Docks, Lago and Camp restaurants. That's my gripe and I'm sticking to it.
Get over it, it's the law now, move on with your life as others have done.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #43
BroadHopper

Default I well never forget

The infamous accident when someone was killed, there was no justice only because someone misplaced the bar tabs in fear for his liqour license. That tells me how money hungry the king is. Complete disregard of others.
codeman671 (03-03-2012), Seaplane Pilot (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #44
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hey Rusty, I made no complaint about the speed limit. The issue at hand is the hypocrisy demonstrated by Messrs. Ray and McLear when it comes to selling alcoholic beverages to the same people about which they "protest". Case closed, they get no revenue from me - and a hell of a lot of my friends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-03-2012), watrskir (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #45
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I find I funny that this "rusty" always pops up to defend the other "rusty" whenever criticism arises. Coincidence?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #46
winniboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I find I funny that this "rusty" always pops up to defend the other "rusty" whenever criticism arises. Coincidence?
Not everything in this article and forum is accurate. Plans may be in place but nothing has been finalized as I'm sure Rusty can agree with. Hopefully this will go with minimal impact on the lake and shoreline, but huge impact on the community and well being of the lake.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #47
ushaggerb

Default What am I doing here?

Los Angeles, CA, 11:05 pm.

It's late. I'm ready to go to bed. I jump on the computer, start reading this thread, and it just jolts me with the realization that I'm living in a place where there's so little passion for it.

There is more interest shown toward the Lake in this one discussion than I've seen in 14 years toward the City of Los Angeles. The Lake lives under caring eyes. Whatever happens to it in the future, it won't be by virtue of neglect.

I really miss the Lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to ushaggerb For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
fatlazyless

As far as the issue abpout "pay or no-pay " to be using the new kayak-canoe-row shell access ramp to be constructed in the space between the former Arts & Crafts-NH and the Town Docks restaurant......it is pretty much a mute point.....because.....anyone familiar with the Meredith town dock and boat launch knows.....there already exists ....at the opposite end of the three large town dock piers....the town boat ramp....maybe a distance of 150-yards....from the newly proposed kayak ramp immediately close to the new recreation-kayak rental......it costs 20-dollars to launch a boat on the Meredith town ramp with a trailer/motor boat....and costs nothing to launch a hand-carry boat like a kayak-canoe-row shell....so for my money.....free works just fine for me!

Just having a kayak rental center with included instruction-rentals-safety-people etc creates a different type of a venue than just a free launch dock....would be kayakers will probably be attracted to it when they see others using the colorfull little kayaks....and prefer the convenience of paying as opposed to launching off a car top.....just my two cents....

...kayaking across the bay to the now under construction 8-acres land-EIGHT-million dollar price and big-bucks mansion now under construction is easily doable with a kayak.....one can paddle directly up to the shoreline and take a gander.....that water is state property...just try to do that in a motor boat......maybe take the shoreline real estate tour around Meredith Bay and check out the huge money homes of the super-rich......sounds like a fun afternoon paddle....whatever...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #49
Pineedles

Quote:
As far as the issue abpout "pay or no-pay " to be using the new kayak-canoe-row shell access ramp to be constructed in the space between the former Arts & Crafts-NH and the Town Docks restaurant......it is pretty much a mute point.....because.....anyone familiar with the Meredith town dock and boat launch knows.....there already exists ....at the opposite end of the three large town dock piers....the town boat ramp....maybe a distance of 150-yards....from the newly proposed kayak ramp immediately close to the new recreation-kayak rental......it costs 20-dollars to launch a boat on the Meredith town ramp with a trailer/motor boat....and costs nothing to launch a hand-carry boat like a kayak-canoe-row shell....so for my money.....free works just fine for me!

Just having a kayak rental center with included instruction-rentals-safety-people etc creates a different type of a venue than just a free launch dock....would be kayakers will probably be attracted to it when they see others using the colorfull little kayaks....and prefer the convenience of paying as opposed to launching off a car top.....just my two cents....

...kayaking across the bay to the now under construction 8-acres land-EIGHT-million dollar price and big-bucks mansion now under construction is easily doable with a kayak.....one can paddle directly up to the shoreline and take a gander.....that water is state property...just try to do that in a motor boat......maybe take the shoreline real estate tour around Meredith Bay and check out the huge money homes of the super-rich......sounds like a fun afternoon paddle....whatever...
I'm sorry but I didn't understand a thing you said. Please clarify.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-05-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #50
LTII

Default Sour grapes

Quote:
Hey Rusty, I made no complaint about the speed limit. The issue at hand is the hypocrisy demonstrated by Messrs. Ray and McLear when it comes to selling alcoholic beverages to the same people about which they "protest". Case closed, they get no revenue from me - and a hell of a lot of my friends.
Serving alcohol at their fine establishments has no relation to the speed limit issue. You can't close the case just because your argument doesn't hold water.

Sounds like classic sour grapes. While you are totally within your rights as a consumer to boycott with your small group of friends, it does not validate your hypocrisy claim. If in their judgement their business interests would be better served by a speed limit, there is no hypocrisy. If they supported a speed limit and drove fast themselves that would then be hypocritical.
Rusty (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #51
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I'm sorry but I didn't understand a thing you said. Please clarify.
I started reading the post which is referenced above, but got lost. FLL usually has interesting posts, but I got lost in that one...thank you for letting me know that I wasn't the only one. Hopefully, he'll clarify.
Pineedles (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #52
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTII View Post
Serving alcohol at their fine establishments has no relation to the speed limit issue. You can't close the case just because your argument doesn't hold water.

Sounds like classic sour grapes. While you are totally within your rights as a consumer to boycott with your small group of friends, it does not validate your hypocrisy claim. If in their judgement their business interests would be better served by a speed limit, there is no hypocrisy. If they supported a speed limit and drove fast themselves that would then be hypocritical.
Call it whatever you want, but I call it hypocrisy. If it quacks like a duck, flies like a duck and walks like a duck, then it's a duck as far as I'm concerned. Defend them all you want - it doesn't change the foundation of the argument. They associated themselves with, and proactively supported a lobbying group that fabricated stories which used boating under the influence of alcohol (yes, the same alcohol with which they make money selling) in order to push their agenda. Again, they have every right to do this, as I have every right to avoid their establishments (which I will continue to do). By the way, how do you know the size of my group of friends?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #53
Jonas Pilot

This seems like deja vu all over again. I swear I've heard all this before.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #54
BroadHopper

Default get out of jail

Quote:

I agree with you LTII. The Littlefield case has no direct bearing to the speed limits nor did I ever brought it up until now.

McLear literally handed Littlefield a 'Get out of Jail' card due to this action. I'm all for getting rid of drunk driving. But this action tells me that McLear doesn't mind driving under the influence as long as he can make a few bucks out of it.
Seaplane Pilot (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #55
winniboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I agree with you LTII. The Littlefield case has no direct bearing to the speed limits nor did I ever brought it up until now.

McLear literally handed Littlefield a 'Get out of Jail' card due to this action. I'm all for getting rid of drunk driving. But this action tells me that McLear doesn't mind driving under the influence as long as he can make a few bucks out of it.
As a person who knows both Rusty And Littlefield ( my view of them is irrelevant) I do have to say the situation that happened was avoidable. What it comes down to however had NOTHING to do with Rusty. Rusty has no part of any restaurant or bar in Meredith. Although his Hotels are in the same building (in some cases) Rusty Does not operate the restaurant side of the business. Littlefield (unfortunately) was irresponsible that night and that lead to poor decision makings. Even Alex Ray, who does OWN the bar, does not RUN it, nor was he working or present at the location at the time. It comes down to the bartender over serving, and Littlefield telling them he was not driving, and Littlefield making poor decisions. The no wake zone was a good move by the town of Meredith, and of course Rusty and Alex would support that because it keeps their customers safe. At the end of they day they are in the business to make a buck *look at the economy, don't you do your job to make a buck?* With that being said, i think it is unfair to criticize a MAJOR influence on town happenings because he did something to keep others safe.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #56
LTII

Default Illogical, Illogicaler, Illogicalest

Quote:
Call it whatever you want, but I call it hypocrisy. If it quacks like a duck, flies like a duck and walks like a duck, then it's a duck as far as I'm concerned. Defend them all you want - it doesn't change the foundation of the argument. They associated themselves with, and proactively supported a lobbying group that fabricated stories which used boating under the influence of alcohol (yes, the same alcohol with which they make money selling) in order to push their agenda. Again, they have every right to do this, as I have every right to avoid their establishments (which I will continue to do). By the way, how do you know the size of my group of friends?
Your argument is based on a foundation and that foundation is flimsy in that it is not relevant. Because they sell the demon rum, and because they may have associated themselves with another even more illogical group does not mean they support boating while intoxicated! Based on your 'foundation', logically you also should stop paying any taxes to New Hampshire, and in fact should give up drinking yourself.

To answer your final question- I apologize- I do not know for a fact the size of your group of friends.. I assumed, based on the tone of your posts, that you quack, fly and walk in a pretty small flock.
Rusty (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #57
fatlazyless

Once again, hopefully, it should be nice to see a large number of small, brightly colored, red, green, yellow, blue, white, etc kayaks out on Meredith Bay in and beyond the no-wake zone. Typically, kayakers tend to hug the shoreline when travelling a distance up the bay because it seems safer to paddle in an area where the motorboats are not too likely to be going. Sometimes, it can be a little difficult to see a kayak due to waves and sunlight and many kayakers just head for the shallows, plus some just like to look at the shoreline and check out all the waterfront homes as opposed to being out in the middle of the bay.

Up till 2008, the Parafunalia store in Meredith ran a kayak rental business, and they kept about 20 kayaks on the water, in the corner near the Inn at Bay Point, and it made for some attractive sights seeing people paddling about the bay on a small, brightly colored rental kayak.

This new kayak rental spot should immediately increase the number of people using rental kayaks out on Meredith Bay and most likely will become a well known go-to spot for people with an interest in self-propelled small boats. It doesn't have to be just a kayak.......there's also canoes, row skulls, and small.....say 13' sailboats like a Sunfish or a Laser.....which could make a welcome addition to the Meredith Bay scenery. Paddling for....say....a distance of about four miles......from Meredith town docks ....all the way.....up to the Mount Washington dock at Weirs Beach would give the paddler a new appreciation for this section of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Maybe the ice cream stand immediately next to the town docks could bring back the one-dollar Wednesday, ice cream cone special, which actually cost $1.09, after you include the NH state meals tax, but still a very groovy delight.........yum......just an ice cream thought here!
Pineedles (03-05-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Your argument is based on a foundation and that foundation is flimsy in that it is not relevant. Because they sell the demon rum, and because they may have associated themselves with another even more illogical group does not mean they support boating while intoxicated! Based on your 'foundation', logically you also should stop paying any taxes to New Hampshire, and in fact should give up drinking yourself.

To answer your final question- I apologize- I do not know for a fact the size of your group of friends.. I assumed, based on the tone of your posts, that you quack, fly and walk in a pretty small flock.
I must compliment you on your ability to "SPIN" an issue. The sure sign of a true liberal. Where did I say they supported boating while intoxicated? Go back and read the posts before you make crazy statements like that. In addition, I called you out on your assumption that my group was small - and I got a wisecrack answer (another liberal spin). Now you assume I drink?

OK, one more time: Forget the underlying reasons and issues, but the fact remains that I (and my group of friends - size which will remain undisclosed) will continue to boycott any establishment or property owned by either Mr. Ray or Mr. McLear. If you choose to spend your trust fund allowance at these establishments, then by all means, please do. (see - I can assume too)
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
LTII (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #59
LTII

Default Finally

Quote:
I must compliment you on your ability to "SPIN" an issue. The sure sign of a true liberal. Where did I say they supported boating while intoxicated? Go back and read the posts before you make crazy statements like that. In addition, I called you out on your assumption that my group was small - and I got a wisecrack answer (another liberal spin). Now you assume I drink?

OK, one more time: Forget the underlying reasons and issues, but the fact remains that I (and my group of friends - size which will remain undisclosed) will continue to boycott any establishment or property owned by either Mr. Ray or Mr. McLear. If you choose to spend your trust fund allowance at these establishments, then by all means, please do. (see - I can assume too)
It took a few posts but I am glad to see that you are starting to get my point.
Seaplane Pilot (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #60
Seaplane Pilot

I'm glad that you're glad. Not sure what it is you're glad about, but hey, can't we just all get along??
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #61
LTII

Quote:
I'm glad that you're glad. Not sure what it is you're glad about, but hey, can't we just all get along??
What I'm glad about is that you agree with me of course - with my whole point about assuming!

And yes we all can get along. I think you'll find we agree on more points than we disagree on and have some fun debating those we don't. I'll buy you a beer at Lago (well maybe we better make that a lemonade at Canoe or "O") or maybe your buddy Rusty will treat us...
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #62
pm203

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniboy View Post
With that being said, i think it is unfair to criticize a MAJOR influence on town happenings because he did something to keep others safe.
What? I didn't think that a major influencer would drink the cool-aid so easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to pm203 For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #63
loony

Not read the entire thread, but...
Will the new canoe/kayak ramp cut off public access to the gazebo?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #64
Seaplane Pilot

Although not directly related to Meredith issue, I'm appauled at the fact that the same legislature that voted for the speed limit on Winni has now voted to allow 15 year olds to take online driver's education in place of classroom instruction, and also allow parents or guardians to provide behind the wheel instruction.

What's wrong with this picture?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (03-20-2012), Pineedles (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #65
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
Not read the entire thread, but...
Will the new canoe/kayak ramp cut off public access to the gazebo?
...no....of course not....my incredibly prescient guess is the carry-boat access ramp will be similar construction to existing walkway and will bisect the walkway and create a walkway intersection where the carry boat ramp passes across the existing walkway and then immediately descends down to the water!

....understand!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #66
fpartri497

Quote:
Although not directly related to Meredith issue, I'm appauled at the fact that the same legislature that voted for the speed limit on Winni has now voted to allow 15 year olds to take online driver's education in place of classroom instruction, and also allow parents or guardians to provide behind the wheel instruction.

What's wrong with this picture?
I cannot believe that there Isnt more of an uproar over this tottaly STUPID piece of legislation.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #67
fatlazyless

424 different people serve NH as 400 state reps and 24 state senators. Each indivivual receives $50/year plus a per day-in-session gasoline reimbursement depending how far they live from Concord. Supposedly, according to some newspaper article that I vaguely recall, this group of 424 has the lowest percentage of four year college grads of any state legislature in the country. Is this factoid really true? Can this be backed up with some research.................anyone?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #68
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
I cannot believe that there Isnt more of an uproar over this tottaly STUPID piece of legislation.

I really don't see it as such a big problem, the kids will still have to pass the State written exam and the State driving test before getting the liscense. It will still be a restricted use liscense to start with just as it is now.
I went thru Drivers Ed way back when and I swear I could have taught the class as well as and in some areas better than the "instructor".
But then again I am just an ol Redneck that had been drivin' jeeps and trucks in the woods and fields for a few years by then and had actually been turnin' wrenches on em since I was 6 or 7 years old.
Rusty (03-21-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #69
BroadHopper

Quote:
424 different people serve NH as 400 state reps and 24 state senators. Each indivivual receives $50/year plus a per day-in-session gasoline reimbursement depending how far they live from Concord. Supposedly, according to some newspaper article that I vaguely recall, this group of 424 has the lowest percentage of four year college grads of any state legislature in the country. Is this factoid really true? Can this be backed up with some research.................anyone?
Another problem is the legislature has a lot of folks that moved into the state and tries to duplicate their old state. hence the out of control budget.