Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
nhjenny

Default Need a plumber at Island house

I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeper’s Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time that’s ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we can’t turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
nhjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
MDoug

Default plumber

Call Archie at 603-387-3168

He is our favorite over the years!
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjenny View Post
I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeper’s Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time that’s ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we can’t turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!

They have DIY quick connectors now at most big hardware stores. A couple of quick connect unions, no soldering, a piece of copper pipe, a tubing cutter and you can fix it pretty quick yourself. Better still, make one of those unions a shut off valve.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
They have DIY quick connectors now at most big hardware stores. A couple of quick connect unions, no soldering, a piece of copper pipe, a tubing cutter and you can fix it pretty quick yourself. Better still, make one of those unions a shut off valve.
Exactly. Go to a hardware store and ask someone in plumbing dept exactly what you need. Add a small pack of steel wool to clean each short section of pipe that the quick connect valve or union is pressed onto.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182685

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182685

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-...tter/999903185
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

What're the thoughts on quick connect fittings today? Used to be that they should only be used temporarily or for exposed applications.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
swnoel

Use one of these... they're pretty simple!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182579
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
What're the thoughts on quick connect fittings today? Used to be that they should only be used temporarily or for exposed applications.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
They're considered a permanent repair.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
Rusty

This video is what I think you might want to consider. It is code compliant and easy to do.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
SteveO123

Quote:

I second (third, fourth?) the Shark/Gator Solutions.. It sounds like you need to cap the broken line to be able to turn the water on for the rest of the house.(?). If so, cut the line and snap a cap on the line until you can get a plumber there...then you can manually fill the toilet tank as needed to flush. Cost you less than $20 even if you need to buy a pipe cutter.
Good luck!
Steve
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
feb

Default Still good for under house?

any opinions if this approach is good for a situation where camp is up on piers, pipes are exposed to freezing temps. Sure the pipes are drained via gravity but a little bit of water, a little bit of plastic and freezing temps make me think they may not stand up too long.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
any opinions if this approach is good for a situation where camp is up on piers, pipes are exposed to freezing temps. Sure the pipes are drained via gravity but a little bit of water, a little bit of plastic and freezing temps make me think they may not stand up too long.
I have outside sharkbite fittings that have been exposed to -20 deg's during the winter months & they haven't cracked or leaked when I turn the water on in the spring. These fittings are unbelievable.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:27 AM   #12
Grady223

Quote:

Tim Sullivan 603-630-6505.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
Prestige Worldwide

Quote:

Call Nick at 603-582-1553
This is his cell#. He has a Baja outlaw on the water on Long Island. It's set up for Plumbing service calls and rapid response to island properties on Winnipesaukee.

http://bellemoreplumbing.com

Name:  IMG_0566.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  154.4 KBName:  IMG_0565.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  79.8 KB
Prestige Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #14
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
Just curious if you've had problems with this current situation? The company I worked for would never guarantee just blowing lines out or gravity , we'd install RV antifreeze in the entire system and have never had a failure due to this solution. We've used hundreds of sharkbite fittings in areas below freezing with no consequences to the fitting.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
I hope you'll let us know how things worked out. This is a tough time of year to get somebody to an island on short notice

They may not yet be open, but I bet if you ask around, you'll find many islanders have developed some handy skills. You might also be surprised at the parts inventory that exists in those sheds behind the camp, as well as specialty tools.
I had a boat sink at the dock once (pinholes in the bellows) and shortly after we arrived a friend showed up with a jack intended to level his boat house, and a couple of extra pumps.. We lifted it to gunwales at water level and had a drink while we watched the pumps work. Easy. Who knew?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote