Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #101
Misha888

Default Odd is right . . .

Thank you for looking that up. I'm always in the mood to go out to dinner on a Monday and well, there are always the other haunts.

I'm still curious as to why they had to put up such a huge sign. Unsightly really, I guess it just goes along with the rest of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
I googled Faro Italian Grille, and I found that they are closed on Mondays. Seems odd that they would have their big opening on a Sunday and then close the following day, but they did. Anyway, I wish them well.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #102
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
and the behemoth sign says opening 12/7. There was only one car there, until another one pulled up. That was around 4 p.m.

I'll try anything once.

Very good. Great prices for great food. Homemade pasta, homemade sauces. Very authentic. Nadia's was the best Italian restaurant in the area when they were in business. Faro will def take that title over imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #103
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
Thank you for looking that up. I'm always in the mood to go out to dinner on a Monday and well, there are always the other haunts.

I'm still curious as to why they had to put up such a huge sign. Unsightly really, I guess it just goes along with the rest of it.

The Lobster Pound sign was exactly the same size. They simply utilized the same frame. Really??? The sign???

Old 12-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #104
Misha888

Default I agree

Nadia's was the best. I don't see butternut squash ravioli on the menu. I'll need to make a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Very good. Great prices for great food. Homemade pasta, homemade sauces. Very authentic. Nadia's was the best Italian restaurant in the area when they were in business. Faro will def take that title over imho.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #105
Misha888

Default And yes, the sign . . .

I thought the Lobster sign was atrocious. We'll have Times Square signage next. Kidding of course, but it is really HUGE. *old soul

Quote:
The Lobster Pound sign was exactly the same size. They simply utilized the same frame. Really??? The sign???

Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #106
valhala

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
When they had "Nadia's" the food was always great! Does anyone know if Michael is involved in this new venture. He was a big part of the personality of the last restaurant, and we really enjoyed going there just to joke with him about how the pasta cooked. Great guy!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I"ll be wavin' back
Hi sum r breeze,
Sadly, Michael Girardi from Nadia's passed away last year. You can still view his obituary if you google his name.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #107
bobio

GOOD LUCK Mike and Richie! I wish you guys the best of luck and I plan on enjoying the new place soon. Most people don't understand the challenges of a restaurant business when they post their thoughts. You guys do a great job and I commend you for your efforts.
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #108
Misha888

Default Public opinion

does matter. In writing a business plan your "consumer" matters as much as your profit margin.

Anywho, I don't think anyone wished them ill will. I for one hope they stay around. It is slim pickin's as far as diversity. One can only go to the same 4/5 restaurants for so long. If they serve a good quality meal for a decent price, they'll survive. And that is if they got a decent deal on the rent/purchase. If not . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobio View Post
GOOD LUCK Mike and Richie! I wish you guys the best of luck and I plan on enjoying the new place soon. Most people don't understand the challenges of a restaurant business when they post their thoughts. You guys do a great job and I commend you for your efforts.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #109
jrc

For summer weekend regulars, we run out of places to go, so I hope they are good and successful. For me that means good tasting food, competitive pricing with other local places, selection including hearty and light entrees, quick and polite service in a clean, comfortable atmosphere. That's a tough job, that's why so few restaurants survive. It's even tougher in a seasonal location.

Good Luck Faro!
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #110
Smokienorm

Default Mediocre (or worse) Italian Restaurants in the Lakes Region

The so-called Italian restaurant that was in Gilford at the location that is now a TD Bank branch was Nadia's. I heard some time ago that "Nadia" moved to the Lobster Pound after Lou Gaynor sold it, whether to her or to someone else.

Nadia's was worse than mediocre and the service set an all time standard for bad. Presumably the TD Bank's service is much better even if they do not offer food.

Hopefully the new format of the old lobster pound will make it. Keep in mind that the restaurant business has the highest failure rate of any type of new business. I have always been told that the way to make a small fortune in the restaurant business is to start out with a large fortune.

Some commentators have opined favorably about Fratello's. Speaking of mediocre, Fratello's sets that standard. Where else can you get a fairly decent beef carpaccio with shaved parmesan ruined by placing a glob of out of the jar sweet relish in the middle of the dish? Perhaps that is their signature dish. Their pasta dishes are OK but nothing special. Some friends of ours who live here will say they are willing to go out to eat "anywhere but Fratello's." That is a pretty sad commentary on that establishment.

The best Italian food around, and well worth the drive, IMO, is Angelina's in Concord, for lunch or dinner.

Fortunately, this is America and everyone is entitled to their tastes, preferences and opinions.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #111
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokienorm View Post
....The best Italian food around, and well worth the drive, IMO, is Angelina's in Concord, for lunch or dinner.....
I must agree that Angelina's in Concord is indeed very very good. This is not to override local Italian style restaurants which have their own signature dishes that might or might not appeal to the individual diner. Abondante Restaurant Meredith was still my local favorite.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #112
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokienorm View Post
Nadia's was worse than mediocre and the service set an all time standard for bad.
Some commentators have opined favorably about Fratello's. Speaking of mediocre, Fratello's sets that standard.
I agree wholeheartedly about Nadia's. Orange "spaghetti" sauce??

However, Fratello's is one of my faves. I must have mediocre taste. I've always enjoyed the food and find the service to be top notch. It can't be just me b/c the place is always packed.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #113
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Any great restaurant will succeed in this area. I hope they do well.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #114
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Any great restaurant will succeed in this area. I hope they do well.
I know of no "great restaurants" in the lakes region.

Some, such as Lyon's Den and Mise en Place are "very good," but to be great requires something more.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #115
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
However, Fratello's is one of my faves. I must have mediocre taste. I've always enjoyed the food and find the service to be top notch. It can't be just me b/c the place is always packed.
I agree with this and have been saying it for almost 20 years
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #116
belly_button_biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I know of no "great restaurants" in the lakes region.

Some, such as Lyon's Den and Mise en Place are "very good," but to be great requires something more.
This may be because it's difficult to excite the people who can create a great restaurant to bring their craft to a region with a lopsided preference for prime rib.

Personally I think The Six Burner Bistro & Tavern 27 are the best the region has to offer. They both consistently receive very high customer satisfaction ratings based on various online review websites.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #117
tbonies

I always have to chuckle when I see all the great food experts weighing in with comments like "no great restaurants in the lakes region" or disparaging restaurants like Lago or Giuseppe's that are consistently busy. I guess most are not as worldly traveled as the experts!
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #118
Pineedles

Default Eye of the beholder

To me, a great restaurant at the lake has to be appropriate for the occasion. Breakfast? A great restaurant is the Village Kitchen. Great food, great people, great prices, great atmosphere, equals great to me. It doesn't have to be a 5-star fancy schmancy place to be great. But if your looking for haute cuisine, try Boston, Tampa, San Francisco, or Paris. BTW, the place I am thinking of in Tampa is Bern's Steak House. Absolutely my favorite GREAT steak restaurant, and the selection of single malts are only outdone by the Hilton in Chicago.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #119
Phantom

Although a chain (and a very good chain at that) Charley's on West Cyprus isn't bad either. I Plan on being there next week.

But we digress .....

Back to the Lobster Pound aka Faro

(Damn, I miss Abondante's)

Old 12-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #120
Billy Bob

Default digress

digress one more message. ( Tampa )
Try Donetellos on Dale Mabry , great food , wine , and people

Ok now back to summer on the lake !!!!
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #121
Diver Vince

Want great Italian food? Try the Tuscan Kitchen in Salem! I'm from NJ and rest assured know Italian cuisine.
http://www.tuscanbrands.com/
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #122
wickedtravelah

Quote:
Originally Posted by belly_button_biter View Post
This may be because it's difficult to excite the people who can create a great restaurant to bring their craft to a region with a lopsided preference for prime rib.

Personally I think The Six Burner Bistro & Tavern 27 are the best the region has to offer. They both consistently receive very high customer satisfaction ratings based on various online review websites.
The Six Burner Bistro is an excellent restaurant. The staff is inviting and attentive and the menu has various selections that are fresh.

PS: the signage for Faro is atrocious; screams, "look at me, look at me." either way, I'll give'em a try.
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #123
ishoot308

Thanked 4,927 Times in 1,907 Posts
Default Love The Tuscan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
Want great Italian food? Try the Tuscan Kitchen in Salem! I'm from NJ and rest assured know Italian cuisine.
http://www.tuscanbrands.com/
I completely agree with you! Best Italian food in the state! I had the opportunity to meet the executive chef and the owner when we were there. They are wonderful hard working people that only serve the finest of fresh ingredients.

If you love Italian, the Tuscan Kitchen is well worth the trip!

Dan
Old 12-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #124
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
digress one more message. ( Tampa )

Try Donetellos on Dale Mabry , great food , wine , and people

Ok now back to summer on the lake !!!!

Nooooo. Now back to the OFF season on the lake. Does anyone have any feedback at all on the new Faro restaurant???

Old 12-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #125
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I completely agree with you! Best Italian food in the state! I had the opportunity to meet the executive chef and the owner when we were there. They are wonderful hard working people that only serve the finest of fresh ingredients.

If you love Italian, the Tuscan Kitchen is well worth the trip!

Dan
I recently ate at the Tuscan Kitchen's second location in Burlington Ma and it was outstanding! I believe the Burlington location opened within the past several months. They spent millions on the restaurant leaseholds. They don't cheap out on anything.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #126
Bigstan

Quote:
Nooooo. Now back to the OFF season on the lake. Does anyone have any feedback at all on the new Faro restaurant???

Did a new chef come with the new menu? Or is it the same crew and
a re-brand ?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #127
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Did a new chef come with the new menu? Or is it the same crew and

a re-brand ?

New chef and some kitchen staff.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #128
Mr. V

It would be a grand stage for Nadia to reappear and find culinary redemption.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #129
pawnshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
It would be a grand stage for Nadia to reappear and find culinary redemption.
Nadia is re-opening a place in approximately May 2015. I spoke to her last week. It will not be the same menu or strictly Italian style they had before and sadly yes Mike is gone. He passed away last summer. The new location will be where the former Cackling Crow was located. Some classics from the old place with traditional favorites. We can't wait! Chicken Parm and Ravioli Nadia! Culinary redemption? To each his own!!!

They own the TD Bank North building as far as I know and several other properties in Laconia not associated with food service.
pawnshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #130
Phantom

Where is the Cackling Crow ?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #131
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Where is the Cackling Crow ?

Lake St @ Weirs Blvd. @ White Oaks Rd. in Laconia. If you're driving on Lake St the Margate is on your left, China Bistro on your right. Just after the Bistro, on the same side, there's a strip mall below an apartment complex before you hit the Blvd.. In there. Really hard to see from the street.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #132
Phantom

Know EXACTLY where you are describing .... and now do not feels so bad I never knew the name ...... that's a tough spot to scope out and still stay between the lines on the road.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #133
SIKSUKR

Veal Saltimbocca please.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #134
Pineedles

Pheasant saltimbocca, prego.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #135
MGWillia

Default hhmmm

With all the talk of Faro's, I decided I'd see if they had a web page so I could check out the menu. New restaurant, new page. It's functional, and I'm sure will continue to get better. I did notice something I've never noticed on a restaurant web page. I've never seen a "Make a Payment" option... hhhm
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #136
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
With all the talk of Faro's, I decided I'd see if they had a web page so I could check out the menu. New restaurant, new page.
http://www.faroitaliangrille.com/
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #137
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
I did notice something I've never noticed on a restaurant web page. I've never seen a "Make a Payment" option... hhhm
That's most likely because their webpage is based off a template from the company they registered the domain name through (or some other template site).

The images look like stock photos as well.

All of which means they developed their website the same way as most small businesses: using some cheap/free sources to put together a simple effective site.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #138
GBGX2

Default Exactly correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
That's most likely because their webpage is based off a template from the company they registered the domain name through (or some other template site).

The images look like stock photos as well.

All of which means they developed their website the same way as most small businesses: using some cheap/free sources to put together a simple effective site.
See the bottom of their home page: Copyright © 2015 Web Page Design by Web.com Group, Inc. http://www.web.com/
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #139
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
See the bottom of their home page: Copyright © 2015 Web Page Design by Web.com Group, Inc. http://www.web.com/
Yup, templated website.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #140
thegreyghost

Default Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Yup, templated website.
Who cares?!
thegreyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thegreyghost For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (01-02-2015), Reilly (01-04-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #141
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyghost View Post
Who cares?!
If you read back to post #135 someone seemed to think it was odd that the website had a "Make A Payment" option. I said that is likely because their website is based off a pre-defined template, and that was something left over from the template, not something they purposefully added. Other info seems to confirm my suspicion.

In other words, it's no big deal.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #142
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Folks, the LP is gone, let's move on and give Faro a shot
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #143
thegreyghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Folks, the LP is gone, let's move on and give Faro a shot
Amen to that! I have been hearing great things about Faro, I plan on checking it out over the weekend.
thegreyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #144
sum-r breeze

Default Sad News

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhala View Post
Hi sum r breeze,
Sadly, Michael Girardi from Nadia's passed away last year. You can still view his obituary if you google his name.
Just found this answer to my question.....very sad news. He will be missed.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:20 AM   #145
Mr. V

re: Girardi:

Things are getting complicated:

http://www.wmur.com/news/man-sues-af...-plot/29826368
Old 01-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #146
Phantom

now THAT's sad !

Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #147
Pineedles

If a judge orders the reburial that's that. Why would the family want to deny the couple their plot near other family members?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #148
Rusty

Being buried in consecrated ground is considered a sacred act. Some people take this real seriously.
I wouldn't want to be the judge who has to make this decision.

Last edited by Rusty; 01-05-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
wifi (01-05-2015)