Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
woodynh

Default What Internet Services Are People Using Up Here?

OK Time Warner wins. They are having a 14% rate increase in this economy, have dropped the boston stations and now I got an e-mail that the networks are threatening a price increase and they may be dropping more channels.

I am just plain fed up with this and on top of that my signal is very weak and many times I can't get some stations in especially the HD channels. They have put a signal booster on and say there is nothing else they can do.

So I can go to direct TV but I also have internet service through them and don't know what my other options maybe up here in Moultonboro.

I am just wondering what other services people are using for internet up here and how fast their connections are?
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
phoenix

only option I have seen in Moultonboro for high speed is hughes net so you would have two dishes
Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Meredith Resident

Default Fair Point/Direct TV Bundle

Here is what we have. http://www.loveyourbundle.com/

If you decide to go this route PM me and I can give you an additional $100 coupon when you get your direct TV installed.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
breathe easy

Wildblue is also an option ( it's DSL). The NH Elec. COOP used to sell this, not sure if they still do.
http://www.expertwildblue.com/
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
jst_4_kiks

i use metrocast. i live in bristol though. not sure on what their coverage area is though. works great for me. vip package is awesome.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

We use Metrocast. It's reliable - seldom down - but not the least expensive option out there.... It was at the time we got it, tho. We are price shopping for a better deal (bundle)....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default TWC fast/reliable

TWC is very reliable and fast. That is surprising, considering the cable (and our data) goes up to North Conway and then over to Portland. To save costs, I use Vonage for phone, running over the internet service. My $99 Roku box, connects to the internet and streams HD Netflix movies, Pandora music and lots of other stuff so I save TV cable costs by buying less premium content from TWC.

Unfortunately, TWC is the best option today in Moultonborough for raw throughput and reliability, especially for heavy users. (I average about 1 gigabyte/day)

Satellite services include a latency which isn't too bad, but you notice it and the throughput is lower than cable or DSL. DSL is not available in Moultonborough that I am aware of. The radio-based services are OK, but are bandwidth limited. It would be nice if they would upgrade to WiMAX (4G). Verizon 3G is another option, as most places have a good signal. My Droid works well on it but haven't tried tethering my PC off of it. The Verizon tariff for unlimited data (tethering estimate: $60 plus voice plan) is more than TWC internet, but then you can use it anywhere.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Lakepilot

We use Metrocast in Wolfeboro. The service almost never fails. We had Fairpoint for a short while for phone service but switched that to Metrocast also.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
tummyman

Default Moultonborough out on its own... again !!

If we only lived in Center Harbor, we could get ALL the Boston Stations. The whole issue is Time Warner getting assigned to Maine. As soon as the Moultonborough Selectmen can CANCEL the Time Warner franchise or get the Town Administrator to do something and actually force the change to a Boston market vs. Maine market, the better everyone will be. The current set-up is stupid........ I can spit to Center Harbor and still am forced to be in the Maine market...same for DIrect TV, Dish Network, etc. etc. There must be some way to appeal the assignment. Had Moultonborough originally teamed up with Meredith and Center Harbor instead of going alone, we would not have been caught up in all the Adelphia mess and assigned to Time Warner without ANY choice. More HELP from Washington....
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
IslandRadio

To answer the Internet access question.... I use Verizon Broadband Wireless. There are no other viable alternatives on Rattlesnake Island (at least where I am on the Island).

It works fairly well, but like Hughes, there is a charge over so many gigabytes per month (I think it's 6 gigs). The advantage as I see it over Hughes is the lack of packet latency. This latency is due to the round-trip time it takes to send a signal from the earth-based transmitter, up to the orbiting bird, and then from the bird back to earth.

Verizon broadband wireless will work anywhere where there is a Verizon point of presence, which, at least around New England seems reasonably coincident with cell phone service, although I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Anyway, that's what I use here..

Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
If we only lived in Center Harbor, we could get ALL the Boston Stations. The whole issue is Time Warner getting assigned to Maine. As soon as the Moultonborough Selectmen can CANCEL the Time Warner franchise or get the Town Administrator to do something and actually force the change to a Boston market vs. Maine market, the better everyone will be. The current set-up is stupid........ I can spit to Center Harbor and still am forced to be in the Maine market...same for DIrect TV, Dish Network, etc. etc. There must be some way to appeal the assignment. Had Moultonborough originally teamed up with Meredith and Center Harbor instead of going alone, we would not have been caught up in all the Adelphia mess and assigned to Time Warner without ANY choice. More HELP from Washington....
It's Carroll County that is assigned to the Maine Market. Center Harbor is in Belknap. That is the difference.

That said, I have direct tv and time warner for internet. direct TV will use a service address to assign programming .
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote