Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
steve-on-mark

Default Gilford island clean-up day

Once again I took advantage of the island clean-up day this year. I know island residents don't get a lot of services for the tax dollars we spend ( still waiting for the day I come out in the winter and my docks are plowed off), but this is a nice feature! The workers were all friendly and had my pontoon boatload of crap unloaded in minutes! I wonder how many other islanders take advantage of this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-30-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Once again I took advantage of the island clean-up day this year. I know island residents don't get a lot of services for the tax dollars we spend ( still waiting for the day I come out in the winter and my docks are plowed off), but this is a nice feature! The workers were all friendly and had my pontoon boatload of crap unloaded in minutes! I wonder how many other islanders take advantage of this?

I certainly did and YES it is a great service to us Gilford Island residents! Thanks also has to go to the Gilford Island Association who works so closely with the town on behalf of us islanders. Thanks GIA!!

Dan
Old 07-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:

Not trying to argue with you but in thinking about this, Steve, I am trying to think what services we have access to on the mainland that you don't get on the islands. I just can't think of any so am interested in what you say. Thanks.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Not trying to argue with you but in thinking about this, Steve, I am trying to think what services we have access to on the mainland that you don't get on the islands. I just can't think of any so am interested in what you say. Thanks.
Well...if your house catches on fire, a fleet of fire trucks will converge...I'll get a little fire boat. My road isn't plowed...I have to snowmibile. No school buses out here either...police would take a while to get here too. Not complaining mind you, I knew all this going in. Just stating a fact..

Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
ishoot308

Quote:
Well...if your house catches on fire, a fleet of fire trucks will converge...I'll get a little fire boat. My road isn't plowed...I have to snowmibile. No school buses out here either...police would take a while to get here too. Not complaining mind you, I knew all this going in. Just stating a fact..

We also are seasonal and don't have the use of our island homes year round yet tax rate is same. (Yeah, yeah, I know tax rate is based on value not usage and value of island homes is less than mainland) Not complaining either as we knew this when we bought...

Dan
Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
bilproject

Default Gilford Island Association President or Board Member

Anyone in Gilford have a name and contact information for someone involved with your Island Association? We are looking into starting one for the Meredith Islands. Please PM me if anyone has some information.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
Anyone in Gilford have a name and contact information for someone involved with your Island Association? We are looking into starting one for the Meredith Islands. Please PM me if anyone has some information.

Sent a PM

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Gilford residents get the facilities at Glendale. What other town has docks reserved for island residents and a police officer on duty at the docks all season long?, and dumpsters? And a place to park and to pick up mail, and public restrooms 50 yards from the docks?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Gilford residents get the facilities at Glendale. What other town has docks reserved for island residents and a police officer on duty at the docks all season long?, and dumpsters? And a place to park and to pick up mail, and public restrooms 50 yards from the docks?
Yes, no other town on the lake. And I would thank the GIA for working with the town.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

As a long time seasonal Gilford resident I am very impressed with the town employees. From Clint at the Glendale docks to the crew at the recycling center everyone has been extremely helpful and respectful.

Even the town hall staff, when you go in to register a vehicle, jump up from their seats to help you. If you are the second or third person to walk in, a second or third woman steps up to the counter to help you so that you do not have to wait in line.

All the employees in Gilford have the "I work for you" attitude that is uncommon in many areas of municipal government in other cities and towns. It is a refreshing change from the attitudes of workers in other communities that seem to feel that they are doing you a favor to address your issues.

It is one more good reason to live in Gilford!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
As a long time seasonal Gilford resident I am very impressed with the town employees. From Clint at the Glendale docks to the crew at the recycling center everyone has been extremely helpful and respectful.

Even the town hall staff, when you go in to register a vehicle, jump up from their seats to help you. If you are the second or third person to walk in, a second or third woman steps up to the counter to help you so that you do not have to wait in line.

All the employees in Gilford have the "I work for you" attitude that is uncommon in many areas of municipal government in other cities and towns. It is a refreshing change from the attitudes of workers in other communities that seem to feel that they are doing you a favor to address your issues.

Couldn't agree more!!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:03 AM   #12
steve-on-mark

Quote:

I completely agree...have even posted before about the ladies at Town Hall. Guys at the docks are great ( do miss seeing Roger there)...Clint even took my grandson for a golf cart ride around the back parking lot , just because he thought he'd enjoy it!

Old 08-01-2017, 04:03 AM   #13
Reilly

Default Thanks

Quote:

We feel the same , wish we had a Thanks option
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #14
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
We feel the same , wish we had a Thanks option
I suspect that some of the town's workers are viewers of this forum and see the praises they get...if not , others most likely pass them on. Pats on the back aren't needed by most people, but they still feel good when you get them!