Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2022, 08:42 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Indoor pickleball scuttlebutt - lakes region

Last Wednesday, Oct 5, 2022 at the switch over between Meredith pickleball 1st period, 9-10:30-am, and the incoming group of about ten players for second period, 10:30-noon, some unknown pickleball player mentioned that five different pickleball players had recently contracted the coronavirus while playing indoors ...... https://lrpickleball.jimdofree.com/l...egion/laconia/...... inside the Laconia Community Center's two indoor courts that is shown in this linked photograph.

So's on the next day, Thursday, that got me concerned and scared and worried and I was able to score a new coronavirus vaccination shot at the CVS in Gilford, aka my third booster/fifth shot, and got a new vaccination card as well since my old card with four shots recorded is all filled up, and it was time to start a new vaccination card.

So, three cheers for the local CVS Pharmacy in Gilford NH for doing what they do so well. And, three cheers for the lakes region indoor pickleball that is happening all across the lakes region and beyond which started on or about October1.

So, what's the latest on this local pickleball-coronavirus scuttlebutt ....... whazzup with Laconia? ..... ..... is better to know and be forewarned about it than to keep it quiet.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
John Mercier

We have covid all over the place.
Laconia is at 26 active with 4 new in the last week of confirmed.

Because we are no longer testing heavily, no one is sure of those of us that could be positive but have no symptoms.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
SailinAway

Getting a shot is now far easier. I made an appointment online at CVS. There was no waiting at all in the store.

I'm in the tiny minority of people who have not changed my Covid protection habits. I've had 5 shots. I always wear a KN-95 mask indoors, and outdoors in groups with close contact. Go grocery shopping early in the morning. Etc. Result: I'm also in the minority of Americans who have not had Covid. I don't believe it's inevitable that "everyone is going to get Covid at some point." I've not had the flu in over 20 years, because I began practicing self-protection a long time ago. Estimates of how many Americans have had Covid range from about 50% to 80%. At this point, after 3 years of practice, it seems easy to avoid Covid with all the means of self-protection available to us.

FLL, remember that if it was more than 4 months since your last shot, your immunity declined to about 30%, and it will take two weeks after your shot to have full immunity again, so I would stay away from gyms.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
So, what's the latest on this local pickleball-coronavirus scuttlebutt
Thanks for teaching me two new words. I never heard of pickleball until you mentioned it a long time ago. Never heard of "scuttlebutt" until just now. Derivation according to Merriam Webster's: "Back in the early 1800s, the cask containing a ship's daily supply of fresh water was called a scuttlebutt (from the verb scuttle meaning "to cut a hole through" and the noun butt, "cask"); that name was later applied to a drinking fountain on a ship or at a naval installation. In time, the term for the water source was also applied to the gossip and rumors generated around it, and the latest chatter has been called "scuttlebutt" ever since."
Old 10-15-2022, 05:03 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Locally in the lakes region, pickleball is happening all over, and it switched from outdoors to indoors what with the seasons changing, recently. Transmission of the coronavirus is probably more likely to happen either by inhalation or by touching the pickleball when playing indoors as opposed to outdoors. To avoid the possibility of catching it, people can simply NOT play pickleball and stay away from the indoor pickleball games.

Knowing that it takes two weeks for the booster vaccination to become effective is new information to me. No one wears a mask while playing pickleball. I have never seen anyone wear a mask while playing pickleball, not even once.

There has been zero information on the four players who supposedly caught it while playing in the Laconia Community Center so it is unknown if that actually happened, although the NH weekly list did show Laconia with four new coronavirus cases.

Probably, no one thinks they will get it until they get it, the coronavirus.

A number of different towns have school gyms designed for basketball that also work as a venue for two or three indoor pickleball courts by using a portable pickleball net and marking the lines with 2" wide, yellow or blue masking tape until they get the pickleball lines done with permanent paint.

From the NY Times, Oct 14, 2022: 'How to Boost Your Immune System During Cold and Flu Season' ...... no paid subscription needed to see it

1. Get active
2. Don't underestimate the power of rest
3. Follow a healthy diet
4. Keep up the pandemic precautions

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-15-2022 at 02:36 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Knowing that it takes two weeks for the booster vaccination to become effective is new information to me.
At least pickleball is played on a large court. No way would I play racquetball or squash again on a small enclosed court. Some aggressive players treat racquetball as a contact sport. At gyms there is also high risk in other areas---locker room, bathroom, etc. After 23 years of avid gym attendance, I canceled my membership at Planet Fitness in March 2020 and will never go back to any gym. In previous years PF never made any attempt at all to minimize risk during major flu outbreaks.

Upon further research, I found different statements about when a vaccine reaches maximum strength and when it declines. My pharmacist told me it's effective two weeks after vaccination. This article summarizes the situation well but does not provide a reference list to check the studies: https://www.verywellhealth.com/lengt...munity-5094857
Old 10-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
Newbiesaukee

Actually, the idea 2 weeks to effectiveness has been around for a long time. It clearly is not effective 2 hours after you get it; but it probably is most effective a few weeks, 2 is a good guess, after getting it. The body’s immune system is complicated and does not rely on one single thing happening. And the immune response does vary with the vaccines themselves. It is not like a drug that you take and we know when it starts to work.

Bottom line, 2 weeks seems as good an informed guess as any. And the same uncertainty exists as to how long the effect lasts.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (10-16-2022)