Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
The Hairy Beast

Default Second Week Of Winni Salmon Season Wrapup - Pics & Video

I didn't fish much last Saturday and Sunday because I had my kids - who weren't interested. I got up early Friday and hit Alton for four hours before work and was rewarded for my efforts with a nice 20 inch salmon. I gave him a soft release (pics really stress the fish because somebody has to handle them for the nice shot), but i got this snap in the net:

I lorded it over my buddy Travis for a short while, then he found the sweet spot on the docs and pulled in a real HONKER:

The fish (one of the biggest I have ever seen for the spring run) measured 22 inches and 4.5 lbs, which makes it FAT.

Alton was packed Saturday and Sunday - I had my kids and didn't really fish. I did run over Monday in a driving hailstorm, with thunder cracking around my head and fished up in the river, where I got two, including this feller (Sorry the cam is shaky but I did the whole thing by myself with my own three hands):

Alton will peak by this weekend, then it will be over. Wolfeboro will see the action next.
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hairy Beast For This Useful Post:
samosetguy (04-21-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
TOAD

Very nice!

What is the average size of the salmon coming out of Winnie?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
Very nice!

What is the average size of the salmon coming out of Winnie?
Spring Salmon tend to be small. I don't know what the official number might be, but a keeper is 18 inches and I don't see many kept. Let's say 16 inches average.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Thanks for Sharing Your Fun!

Wow, there were a lot of people on the dock! Love the videos. The water being so calm really allows you to get a good look at the fish. Good for you both on landing such nice salmon!

A mini flexible tripod might be something you could enjoy using. Then you could be in the video and we could see if you really are a hairy beast.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hairy Beast View Post
Spring Salmon tend to be small. I don't know what the official number might be, but a keeper is 18 inches and I don't see many kept. Let's say 16 inches average.
Not quite, 15" min for LL Salmon 18" min for Lake Trout.

I usually average LLS that are in the 18-21ish size. Weight is all over the place usually.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Not quite, 15" min for LL Salmon 18" min for Lake Trout.

I usually average LLS that are in the 18-21ish size. Weight is all over the place usually.
OK, that sounds right. I don't eat fish so I throw em all back anyway, which means I'm not the guy to opine on size limits. Most of mine have been the size of the second video - smallish. I've caught 15 for the season so far, counting the big Rainbow.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Wow, there were a lot of people on the dock! Love the videos. The water being so calm really allows you to get a good look at the fish. Good for you both on landing such nice salmon!

A mini flexible tripod might be something you could enjoy using. Then you could be in the video and we could see if you really are a hairy beast.
LOL! I actually do have that very same little tripod, which I use to mount the cam to my fly vest when I wade. And if you think that dock was full Friday, you didn't see it on Saturday and Sunday. I only stayed an hour on Saturday and it was PACKED - the Salmon weren't hitting much because they were bombarded with hardware. The water was so clear you could see the fish right off the dock, swimming around. Trav told me later that around three thirty it was as if a prison bus had pulled up - 30 scummy guys in tank tops descended on the bay and set to slinging every kind of lead in the Bass Pro Shops catalogue. Judging by the number of views on these posts I can probably accept some blame for that; a couple of people actually came up to Trav and said they recognised him from the pics. One guy said he came because he saw the pic on a Google search!