Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
ultrarider

Default Snowmobiling buddy

Hello,
I'm looking for someone to go snowmobiling with. I live on the NE side of Wolfeboro off of the Cotton Valley Railroad trail, between Gov. Went Hiway, and Bryant Rd. I'm new to snowmobiling and would like to ride with someone who Knows the tail system fairly well. I have a 2 up touring sled.
Thanks
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Merrymeeting

Ultrarider,

A little more info would help. My twenty-something son's both have sleds and ride the area quite often. I know age is immaterial in many instances, but if you are close in age, you might enjoy riding with them. But you probably won't if you are closer to my age and don't enjoy full-throttle riding all the time.

On the other hand, one of my neighbors just bought his first sled and is in a similar situation, wanting to learn the sport and the trails. He's close to retirement age.

Matchmaking would be easier with a few more details
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
RLW

Smile

ultrarider, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see new people come on board of the forum. I'm more than sure that you will connect up with someone to show ya some of the trails.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
ultrarider

Default reply fom snowmobiling buddy

Not sure if this how to reply to you but I'll give it a shot. I am Married 59,and retired, so riding with the 20 year olds may be out of my league. Wife has very little interest in doing this, although she does ride the motorcylce with me. I just started riding snowmobile last year, and only got as far as Moose Mountain, before getting totally lost. I was by myself, and that got a little scary as I had no idea these machines get such lousy gas mileage, and almost ran out of gas. Thankfully a Groomer came by and told me the way to go. Anybody who would like to go for a ride someday with me, that would be great. Thanks for your reply, Ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
A little more info would help. My twenty-something son's both have sleds and ride the area quite often. I know age is immaterial in many instances, but if you are close in age, you might enjoy riding with them. But you probably won't if you are closer to my age and don't enjoy full-throttle riding all the time.

On the other hand, one of my neighbors just bought his first sled and is in a similar situation, wanting to learn the sport and the trails. He's close to retirement age.

Matchmaking would be easier with a few more details

Last edited by ultrarider; 01-19-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
SAB1

Pretty much a newbie here too ultra. Closer to your age at 50. Have had A sled for 3 years but used it little because we don't seem to get much snow! I live in MA but have a camp in Tuftonboro. Also have a bike I get the wife out on too!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Closetzguy

Hi folks......we are new to sledding as well. We have a 2 up and a single. We are on 19 mile bay. We winged it a couple of weeks ago and went on the lake to Melvin Village then onto the trails to the Snack Shack out on the power line trail. Im 49 and wife wont want to go that often. 17 yr old son and 14 yr old daughter love it so far.

Reach out if you want to go exploring!
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
SAB1

Right next to you. I'm at 19mile bay too. Will be up next weekend. Hope for snow. If not will be fishing. where you located? I'm right next to camp Belknap behind Farm island.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
ultrarider

Default snowmobiling buddy

It seems like everyone responding to my post are finding snowmobilers close to themselves but not to me. That's great, but is there anybody on my side of town that would like to get out for a ride sometime? Again- I live off of the Cotton Valley Railroad track trail which stretches from Wolfeboro to Route 16 in Wakefield. It would be Ideal for me to meet somewhere between the Fanul RR Station (Rt 109 Gov. Went Hiway) and the Miss Wakefield diner, along Collage Rd, or Westwood dr. Again- I am 59, retired, have a 2 up touring sled.
Thanks for reading
ultrarider
Old 01-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
NHWakesurfer

Ultrarider,

I might suggest joining your local snowmobile club in Wolfeboro. I know ours up in Moultonboro has planned rides most every weekend. They meet at a certain location (usually the village kitchen) and go from there. Its a good way to meet folks and ride with others that know the area.

I used to do it as a kid and just within the last few years I'm back doing it again. Just wish we had more snow around here its been rough the last few.

Good luck
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
ultrarider

NHWaksurfer,
I have joined the Wolfeboro snowmobile club, and you would think that they would do exactly what you said. That is --Activities!! If you have ever been on the Wolfeboro snowmobile club website your find that the newsletter is two years old, hasen't been updated, and that they never schedule any rides as a club. At least they don't announce them on their site. I don't want to bash them, but I think it's all about collecting membership dues with them. Anyway think you for the advise!
ultrarider
Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
SAB1

Hey ultra, do you have a trailer? I do so I could certainly tow ur way sometime and/ or ride ur way if we ever get snow! Might take me a while with a trail map cuz like you I am newbie. If you have a trailer and want to tow to 19 mile bay we could leave from there. Maybe even hook up with the guy above. I have a trip to Jackman the weekend of 2/1 but other than that I am open. The weekend after that is the fishing derby. Hoping there is good trail riding then. I get bored ice fishing.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Your smart to ask for a riding partner, I used to ride alone till one Christmas Eve up in Pittsburg NH about 20 out had engine trouble. Even better no cell coverage up there! Thankfully some riders came along and gave me a ride out after I hiked a good 5 miles or so. I learned my lesson to never do that again.

Secondly, always good to carry a map with you so you know where you are. Don't always depend on there being good or accurate signage out there. The clubs do their best, but a map is a MUST have. NHSA has an interactive one posted here: http://www.jimapco.com/maproom/snowmobile/nh/ Doesn't have the local trails but at least it helps you get a good look at what is out there in your area.

Finally if you ever want to go for a ride I'd be happy to go out with you, although I'm younger than you I have no desire to ride fast or stupid.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-21-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
pcmc

Drive fast, take chances. Oh Sorry wrong thread....kidding

When I was younger I did the hike home routine. I ran out of fuel and had to get a ride back with a gas can. Be safe.
Someday I hope to be in your shoes but right now snowmobiling is out of reach for us.
Have fun out there.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #14
Closetzguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Right next to you. I'm at 19mile bay too. Will be up next weekend. Hope for snow. If not will be fishing. where you located? I'm right next to camp Belknap behind Farm island.
We are on Sawyer Point Rd. We just bought this Fall. I will be heading up Friday. Lets hope for a storm before that!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
Drive fast, take chances. Oh Sorry wrong thread....kidding

When I was younger I did the hike home routine. I ran out of fuel and had to get a ride back with a gas can. Be safe.
Someday I hope to be in your shoes but right now snowmobiling is out of reach for us.
Have fun out there.
You don't have to spend a whole lot of money for a decent sled these days. So many including myself are getting fed up with the lack of snow that there is a glut of machines on craigslist many selling for bargin basement prices. I don't know how anyone can justify spending north of 7K for a new one, and that's the average entry point! EEK! I guess if you got money to burn why not!

I plan to be island bound for the weekend. Can't wait, I need a break from the "civilized" world!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
You don't have to spend a whole lot of money for a decent sled these days. So many including myself are getting fed up with the lack of snow that there is a glut of machines on craigslist many selling for bargin basement prices. I don't know how anyone can justify spending north of 7K for a new one, and that's the average entry point! EEK! I guess if you got money to burn why not!

I plan to be island bound for the weekend. Can't wait, I need a break from the "civilized" world!
I do browse craigslist and look at the different sleds for sale, but I'm less than prepared to buy one. The home we live in received a new roof over this summer and is now in the middle of being resided with a couple new windows and doors being changed.
The cottage needs a new furnace to be winter reliable. We typically close the cottage the weekend of the Sandwich Fair and go into conserve mode to save money during the winter months. With more projects on our horizon I have to settle for enjoying the pictures and stories from the group of enthusiasts on here.
I can't wait for the day I can experience snowmobiling with my two boys, we'll get there.
(Sorry to go off course of the thread, one day I will be here inquiring for someone to ride with.)
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
chasedawg

Default Snowmobile buddy

I find this thread of interest. My wife and I retired to Melvin village. We are also looking for someone that knows the trail system. It has been two years since we have snowmobiled. We have a trailer and can launch at 19 Mile Bay or at the parking lot off the Cottonwood trail in Wolfeboro.
The Wolfeboro Snowmobile club is not a very active club. We joined and they told us that the club didn't do much because most members are from out of State. It would be nice if they would organize a guided trail ride like Moutonborough Snowmobile Club.
Ultrarider, Sab1 and Closetzguy send me a PM maybe we can organize our own outing. I do know a member of the Wolfeboro Club that knows the trail system.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
ultrarider

Default snowmobile buddy

Hey Chasedawg, Sab1, & Closetzguy,

I just e-mailed to Merrymeeting about getting together for a ride. Since a couple of you have trailers ( I don't) and live close to one another, maybe you could come over my way to launch. I have ample parking, and live on Westwood Dr.. It's a private road so parking the trailers would be no problem. The Cotton Valley Railroad trail or Wolfeboro Trail (Corridor 26) is right in my back yard. I have a trail cut from my driveway that get right on it. From there we could go east toward Moose Mt, and beyond such as the sevenlakes or powder mill trails or north toward Ossipee to their trail network. I am semi retired so I am flexible. I am itchin to get on the trails, but don't want to ride alone. Let's hope for some good snow, and try to plan something, Okay?
Thanks,
ultrarider
Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
SAB1

I'm in anytime. Just order up some snow! Sounds like the lake is going to miss out on tonites storm. Frustrating. I will be up this weekend for sure and likely will hit the ice out of 19 Mile Bay.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #20
nightrider

Default riding partners

Hey Ultra et. al. Nightrider here. I am in your age range and in Wolfeboro although on the other end of the trail system (the portion on the ice). I am always looking for riding buddies. When not riding I'm usually in my green shanty on Winter Harbor on the east shore across from the opening to the Broads near the large Osseo dock. You are welcome to stop by and have a beer, warm up and chat. I'll be up there this weekend 1-25/26. To get there go north on the tracks (I imagine the rails must be showing), cross lake Wentworth, weave through the golf course onto Winni, then take a right and go outside Wolfeboro Bay and cross Forest Road into Winter Harbor. Better yet, get a map. Later Saturday I'm heading up into Moultonboro Bay for a cruise and to the Bob House for dinner. I ride a black 2005 600 XCSP. See you around.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #21
ultrarider

Default snowmobile partner

Hey Nightrider,

Thanks for the invite. I'd surely like to ride over to your Bob house and meet you. I am new to this and I've never been on the Ice yet, and frankly it scares me a little. I know you ice fishing guy's (I'm not one) know the ice good, so for you it's nothing going out with your cars, and suv's. Would you consider meeting up with me on the tracks before crossing Lake Wentworth? There is a camp or something just before going on to the lake there. Then I would feel better about following you to your Bob house. If this is do-able, I would be thrilled. For one, it gets me on part of the trail system I've never been on, and two, it helps ease my un-easyness of the ice. Maybe we can meet up on Sunday. I have a blue Polaris 2 up. If you'd like to respond back in a private message, we can exchange e-mail address and phone #'s
ultrarider
Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #22
Closetzguy

Default Conditions?

Hi guys....I will be heading up tonight. The kids are skiing so a buddy and I are going to try to take a ride on the sleds.....maybe around 10-11am or so tomorrow. Is the lake all blown off? Probably leave 19 mile bay and head North on the lake to Melvin Village and onto the trails. We will have a Black Polaris 2 up and a Maroon Formula Ski Doo single. Anybody interested?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

I think the lake will have good cover overall- enjoy!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
ultrarider

Default Snowmobile buddy

Hey Closetzguy,
I would be interested in going for that ride, but if you read my reply to Nightrider, I'm not familar with the trail system, and would be more comfortable meeting you prior to venturing out on the ice. Because you guys live on the lake, I trust you know it's conditions better than anyone. I've only been living up here for 4 years, and just last year got into snowmobiling. I really haven't gone out on it much because I haven't found anyone around me that snowmobiling. I know its pretty out of the way, but if I could possibly meet you on shore where the trail goes onto Lake Wentworth from the causeway tracks as you head into Wolfeboro, would make me feel more comfortable going onto the ice. There is a large open area there where there used to be an old camp or something. If I could tag along from there I would be thrilled, as this would be my first real ride. If this sounds like something you could do, I would appreciate it very much. If this is do-able reply back to me in the Private Message mail, and we could work out the details, exchange e-mails, and phone numbers.
Thanks Ultrarider
Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
nightrider

Default traul buddy

how do you PM?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
nightrider

Default Saturday ride

Hey Vita, Is Steve leading a ride tomorrow from the kitchen?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #27
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default in order to Private Message (PM)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
how do you PM?
click on the Quick Links heading, scroll down to the Miscellaneous heading, and Private Message is the first item.

Or if you see the person in the thread, click on their user name and part of the info will be Send a Private Message to XXXXXXX
Old 01-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #28
chasedawg

Default Snowmobile buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
Hey Closetzguy,
I would be interested in going for that ride, but if you read my reply to Nightrider, I'm not familar with the trail system, and would be more comfortable meeting you prior to venturing out on the ice. Because you guys live on the lake, I trust you know it's conditions better than anyone. I've only been living up here for 4 years, and just last year got into snowmobiling. I really haven't gone out on it much because I haven't found anyone around me that snowmobiling. I know its pretty out of the way, but if I could possibly meet you on shore where the trail goes onto Lake Wentworth from the causeway tracks as you head into Wolfeboro, would make me feel more comfortable going onto the ice. There is a large open area there where there used to be an old camp or something. If I could tag along from there I would be thrilled, as this would be my first real ride. If this sounds like something you could do, I would appreciate it very much. If this is do-able reply back to me in the Private Message mail, and we could work out the details, exchange e-mails, and phone numbers.
Thanks Ultrarider
Don't count on me to join you. Unfortuantely, I had a bad fall on ice, fractured my hip and now on crutches. I guess I will have to wait another year.

Have fun and be safe
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #29
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Don't count on me to join you. Unfortuantely, I had a bad fall on ice, fractured my hip and now on crutches. I guess I will have to wait another year.

Have fun and be safe
Sorry to hear this, get well!
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #30
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post

Have fun and be safe
Chase, best of luck with the healing and PT!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
SAB1

Hey ultra and closet did you guys get together for a ride? How did it go?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #32
Cobalt

I hoped to join up and ride with you guys, but knew I could not get to the Lake until early afternoon.

I did go out onto the Lake around 2:30, but had trouble overheating. The coverage was hard and granular, and could not get enough snow on the heat exchanger.

The sled was in a garage and melted down so there was not any ice buildup on the exchanger. I never thought keeping it inside would turn out to be a negative.

Good luck Chasedawg. Hope to catch you later, and learn some of your trails.

Cobalt
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #33
ultrarider

Sab1,
No we never got together for that ride. I went out on my own about 11:00 yesterday morning in hopes of finding someone along the way over to Lake Wentworth who could guide me across to find the trail head back on shore to pick-up the Golf Course Trail over to Winni. There was no one along the trail, or out on the Lake, so I attempted to go it alone. When I got out on the lake, what very few tracks there were, all dissipated in various directions. I didn't know which way to go to find the trail to shore on the other side, so I came back. The map is really no help when you are on the lake with now tracks to follow. I need someone sometime who's been across Wentworth, to guide me across to find the other trail head. I ended up going out to Moose Mnt, for about a 30 mile ride. Bye the way- the railroad tracks are not bad. Some rails showing at spots, but supprising good condition. Maybe the little snow we got last will help a bit.
ultrarider
Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #34
Closetzguy

Default lake ride

Hi guys....My guest and I got out for only an hour or so yesterday morning. I attempted to go from 20 mile bay to Wolfboro but missed it and ended up in the broads looking at Rattlesnake! A bit spooky out there with all tracks blown away and black ice below us! Probably should have had an experienced lake person with us for sure! Very windy and snow drifts to keep us on our toes!
Should be back up next weekend! on the way home I noticed that trail cutting through KingsWood. Where does that go?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #35
nightrider

Default lake ride

Winter Harbor has 12-14" of ice. Fished Saturday then called Ultra for a ride. Unfortunately he was busy. Went to town and gassed up the sleds then headed to the Pine Cone for dinner. Snowing moderately at this time. Moultonboro Bay flat as a pancake. Had a nice pizza and a few Blue Moons and had a nice chat with a few of the bar diners. Headed out and it was still snowing. Had a tough time finding home. Got turned around a couple times but eventually made it. That was one time I wish I could turn the headlights off. Snow in the headlights makes shoreline impossible to see. Had to keep stopping and shut down the machines to get bearings on the faint shoreline. That and a smartphone got us home. Some poor guy was going in circles in a truck (or maybe it was a woman). I hope that individual made it home alright. Sunday was nice but windy. More rocket riding on the lake. Look out for the windblown whoops. Rode off the lake at Ambrose Cove picking up the trail to to 171 parking lot. Trails not bad considering. State has trail to Shaw closed. Continued on WSC trails past snackshack onto Lang Pond, Mirror Lake and Winter Harbor. WSC trails nice despite low snow. 3" fresh from Saturday night helped. It's recipricol weekend. Would like to get to Maine. Buddies on SOS system say trails good over there. RR bed has mostly covered rails. Decent cover on the trails. Maybe try SOS this weekend. We'll get together eventually Ultra.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #36
SAB1

If I dont run up to Jackman this weekend I will hit the lake. Will let you guys know.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #37
ultrarider

The Trail cut thru Kingswood connects Lake Winni with Lake Wentworth. Theres also also a Junction (corridor 22 or 351 depending on what map you have) that will go east out to Moose Mt. towards Rt 16 in Wakefield. That Kingswood connetion from Lake Wentworth is where I'd like to explore, because I've never been over there. I tried crossing Wentworth from my side to try and find Nightriders Bob House (the RR causeway going into Wolfeboro), but when I got on the Lake, I couldn't find where it came back on shore at Kingswood. Like Nightrider, I couldn't find any tracks to follow and got dis-orientated. I turned around. I need to find someone who's crossed it enough, and know's what landmarks to watch for to guide you to the landfall. Again this is all new to me, and I want to take it cautiously. Especially when you are alone, on a lake, and un-familar with the route.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #38
nightrider

Default picks

Ultra, maybe this weekend although I don't know how much snow will be left on the ice after all this wind. Do you have picks on your track?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #39
ultrarider

Default picks

[ Yes- I have picks, but until I'm able to find my way across Lake Wentworth, onto Winni, and then be able to follow the trail on Lake Winni to Winter Harbour, I can't commit to anything in that neck of the woods. I especially don't want to find myself in the situation you where into Saturday night
Ultrarider]
Old 01-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #40
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
[ Yes- I have picks, but until I'm able to find my way across Lake Wentworth, onto Winni, and then be able to follow the trail on Lake Winni to Winter Harbour, I can't commit to anything in that neck of the woods. I especially don't want to find myself in the situation you where into Saturday night
Ultrarider]
Do you know where Brewster heath is? Western corner of the lake, if you're approaching camp Bernadette from the lake, go right and follow the shore, in the summer it's a huge swamp. If you ride in there you will find the access trail that leads to the golf course and crosses onto Lake Winni. I'm sure there are tracks in there you can follow to the trail head it's on the back side of the swamp.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #41
nightrider

Default Saturday ride

Hey Ultra, Are you up for a ride Saturday? I'd like to see if I can catch up to the MSC ride. They are heading to the Shaw lookout then to the Sunny villa for lunch.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #42
Closetzguy

Default This weekend

I will be up from Friday night through Tuesday as it is the start of school vacation. Hope to get a fw hours on the machines! Come on snow!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #43
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up MSC Club Ride this Saturday the 15th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetzguy View Post
I will be up from Friday night through Tuesday as it is the start of school vacation. Hope to get a fw hours on the machines! Come on snow!
Closetzguy,

This Saturday Feb. 15th

Not sure if you are a member of the Moultonboro Snowmobile Club? If you are looking for a good trial ride you are more than welcome to ride with us. The ride will leave from the Village Kitchen at 8:00 am. Cathy and Eric Erving will be heading the Ride. Check out the post we put on yesterday.

All are welcome to ride with us, Membership is not a concern.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #44
nightrider

Default Ever find your way to Winni

Hey Ultra, Just wondering if you ever found your way across Lake Wentworth, thru the golf course and onto Winni?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #45
NHWakesurfer

Ultra there is also cresent lake that is much smaller to get across that you pick up past Wentworth for that same golf course trail and that brings you right over to winni in the back of wolfeboro around the corner from the the Wolfeboro bay. The way I know this is that it was just by luck as we thought trail 26 looking at the NH trail map shows 26 going straight to the lake through downtown but it doesn't it dead ends. Thank fully we asked a guy in town and we found our way over to winni.
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote