Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Argie's Wife
Senior Member
 
Argie's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Alton
Posts: 1,908
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 533
Thanked 577 Times in 259 Posts
Lightbulb Planet Mars - Aug. 27, 2010

A friend of mine posted this on another forum earlier. I thought it was an interesting fact about tonight and will be staying up to see it:

On 8/27/10: Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will culminate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again

Since some of you also share a love for looking at the night sky like I do, I thought this might be of interest....

UPDATE: Sorry but I just learned this is a hoax.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (08-27-2010), trfour (08-27-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Argie's Wife
Senior Member
 
Argie's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Alton
Posts: 1,908
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 533
Thanked 577 Times in 259 Posts
Default

My apologies for posting bad info - I got this info from a friend and thought it was legit.

Seems like this is an internet hoax. I just confirmed it.

My apologizes... I'm disappointed because this seemed very cool... Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Cobalt 25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 168
Thanks: 148
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default better info

It will still be worth observing.


http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...oon-2010-mars/


Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (08-29-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,462
Thanks: 917
Thanked 430 Times in 314 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
A friend of mine posted this on another forum earlier. I thought it was an interesting fact about tonight and will be staying up to see it:

On 8/27/10: Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will culminate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again

Since some of you also share a love for looking at the night sky like I do, I thought this might be of interest....

UPDATE: Sorry but I just learned this is a hoax.
I would be quite pleased the assist in the processing of you're troublesome investment instruments, be they gold, diamonds, bonds and stock certificate, or simple piles of grubby cash. For an inconsiderable processing fee able to defray my miscellaneous expenditures. As a token of my good faith, I shall forward immediately a certified supermarket discount card and a partially eaten (but still fresh) Twinkie. I look forward to a lengthy and felicitous relationship between us and our great peoples,

óN'Aopasa
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
mg2107
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

In the immortal words of Jack Horkheimer" Keep looking up".
RIP
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 958
Thanks: 509
Thanked 298 Times in 158 Posts
Default

I think the National Geographic link is for this past January. Certainly no full moon tonight. It was still a beautiful night on the Lake. One of the planets was due east and bright?Jupiter or.Venus.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
chocophile
Senior Member
 
chocophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 19-Mile Bay
Posts: 101
Thanks: 10
Thanked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Default Jupiter

According to my iPod app pUniverse, Jupiter is in the southeast close to the horizon around 10pm tonight. It's bright!
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chocophile For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (08-28-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Argie's Wife
Senior Member
 
Argie's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Alton
Posts: 1,908
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 533
Thanked 577 Times in 259 Posts
Default

Thanks for not being mad at me...

Where we just had a troll on the site posting about a tax for going under the Weirs bridge, I was afraid y'all would be upset.... I like to mess with people but know there's limits...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 958
Thanks: 509
Thanked 298 Times in 158 Posts
Default

How could we be mad with you?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Lakesrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,129
Thanks: 380
Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Well ya got me....I went outside last night, and looked for the full moon, and Mars.

Man am I mad at you!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
RI Swamp Yankee
Senior Member
 
RI Swamp Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Kingstown RI
Posts: 688
Thanks: 143
Thanked 83 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
... Where we just had a troll on the site posting about a tax for going under the Weirs bridge, ......
You mean I don't need that bag of quarters for the toll after all!
__________________
Gene ~ aka "another RI Swamp Yankee"
RI Swamp Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
nj2nh
Senior Member
 
nj2nh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Glen Rock NJ
Posts: 484
Thanks: 28
Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Someone had sent me an e-mail about this and it seemed legitimate to me as well, but there was something about that photograph that just didn't ring true. So I checked it on www.snopes.com and discovered it was a hoax. I check everything on that website. They collect all these e-mails and then confirm that they are fact or fiction.
__________________
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
RI Swamp Yankee
Senior Member
 
RI Swamp Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Kingstown RI
Posts: 688
Thanks: 143
Thanked 83 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I would be quite pleased the assist in the processing of you're troublesome investment instruments, be they gold, diamonds, bonds and stock certificate, or simple piles of grubby cash. For an inconsiderable processing fee able to defray my miscellaneous expenditures. As a token of my good faith, I shall forward immediately a certified supermarket discount card and a partially eaten (but still fresh) Twinkie. I look forward to a lengthy and felicitous relationship between us and our great peoples,

óN'Aopasa
I am still waiting for that guy to deposit the $10 million into my acount like he promised.
__________________
Gene ~ aka "another RI Swamp Yankee"
RI Swamp Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.08153 seconds