Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
CentreHarborEric

Default Shep Brown's

Very disappointed a few weeks ago with poor customer service response to a very simple question/request regarding renewing a registration.
Shep's said absolutely could not be done, hiding behind some dubious "state won't accept this" excuse, delivered with as little warmth and compassion as is possible by a human. I have known this woman to be tough in the past, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Went to Squam Boats and was done with the renewal in 5 minutes! Thank you Squam Boats!
Have done business at Shep Brown's before but will try to avoid it in the future! It's the little things.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
robmac

Are you sure you had all the paperwork needed? I have had them do my renewal every year so I could take the boat south and never a problem.I know if paperwork is not complete state sends it back to them and they have to fix it.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
rick35

We've been using Shep Brown's for years for storage as well as service. The service staff have always gone out of their way to take care of us. Our previous boat seemed to have an issue every time we were on vacation (battery, prop, short) and they always got us in an out asap. That's important considering our camp is on Bear and the boat is our link to the mainland. The gas dock attendants are always efficient and friendly. We tried to buy a new boat from them this year but they couldn't meet the price from another dealer but that was their loss. As for the individual you mention she's always been friendly and helpful with us. No complaints here, only cudos to the entire staff.

Rick
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Bear Islander

I have also been very happy with the service at Shep Brown's for more than 20 years.

Your post begs the question: What were you trying to do on the registration that Sue thought the State would not accept? Perhaps she had it right, and Squam Boats did it wrong.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Sman

Default was it the serial#

I have registered my boat every yr since I bought it 5yrs ago with the same information. This year I was told I could not register it because it did not have a 12 digit serial number. Apparently the state is not accepting serial numbers that are not 12 digits even if your boat has an 11 digit#, and I know its boats after a certain yr, but mine was still an issue. Not sure of all the details but that caused me some pain.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Shep Browms

I was in their Parts/showroom department today and they could not have been more helpful.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
jogator1

Default No problem getting my registration

I have also been very pleased with Shep Brown's. I purchased a whaler 15 sport from them last year and was totally satisfied with my experience. The sales staff was available anytime I called or had a question. I didn't even "shop around" although I probably could have saved a little money.

Last Wednesday I returned to renew my registration and was greeted by the same friendly staff. I spoke to sales first regarding my boat and a few models they had in their showroom. I proceeded to the counter and spoke to "the lady" and she was quite helpful. She was even joking about the boat being in my wife's name. It took about 2 minutes for her to fill out the paperwork.
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Shep's refused to let me have a, boat registration for my new, 25 year old, 14' sailboat because I had no bill of sale. She screams & pounds the counter: "no bill of sale, it's no sail, fogetaboutit! you pea-brain"

My other boat, a very nice performance boat, is a 32' Sea Ray Pachanga, and I threw a crushed beer can at her as I stormed out the door.

Took my sailboat info to the Marine Patrol in Gilford, and after two visits, and about 90 minutes of heated interogation, I exits the Glendale MP w/ a registration. First they beat me with a rubber hose, and then I was waterboarded, I just stuck with the same story until they sort of believed me.

Lesson learned: don't lose the bill of sale when buying a used boat. New Hampshire unlke most states does not issue titles for boats so it has become a go-to state for registering a stolen boat, or something. And the bill of sale has to be signed by the seller, not forged by yourself!

Capice!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
no-engine

Does a sailing canoe need a registration? Had it 20+ years!
How about a 16' kayak, about 8 years old?
Both will never have an engine!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #10
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Does a sailing canoe need a registration? Had it 20+ years!
How about a 16' kayak, about 8 years old?
Both will never have an engine!
A vessel that is powered, even electric, must be registered.

A sailboat or sailboard 12' or longer must be registered.

If your sailing canoe is 12' or more I think it needs a registration. You can call the Marine Patrol to be sure. However I would think a canoe with a sail is a sailboat.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
wildwoodfam

Question You are so weird FLL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Shep's refused to let me have a, boat registration for my new, 25 year old, 14' sailboat because I had no bill of sale. She screams & pounds the counter: "no bill of sale, it's no sail, fogetaboutit! you pea-brain"

My other boat, a very nice performance boat, is a 32' Sea Ray Pachanga, and I threw a crushed beer can at her as I stormed out the door.

Took my sailboat info to the Marine Patrol in Gilford, and after two visits, and about 90 minutes of heated interogation, I exits the Glendale MP w/ a registration. First they beat me with a rubber hose, and then I was waterboarded, I just stuck with the same story until they sort of believed me.

Lesson learned: don't lose the bill of sale when buying a used boat. New Hampshire unlke most states does not issue titles for boats so it has become a go-to state for registering a stolen boat, or something. And the bill of sale has to be signed by the seller, not forged by yourself!

Capice!
Are these postings you fill this site with supposed to be comic relief? Reading your posts is like trying to follow conversations my 2 year old has with all her toys! WHAT was the point? That your an idiot for losing the bill of sale or an idiot for throwing a beer can at Sue at Sheps, or an idiot for trying to forge your own made up b.o.s. a the marine patrol HQ? Any which way you read this one FLL - you end up being the idiot n the story - so WHY would you post that?!?!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
Zeke

Wildwood,
I'll grant that FLL may not be a proffesional comedian, maybe not even an amateur, but it was somewhat clear he was joking around. Smile, or roll your eyes. No need for jumping on him over nothing.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Lol

You folks are making me laugh. He was joking. I was not sure at the begining if he was serious or not although as I read on it became apparent
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
fatlazyless

" supposed to be comic relief?"

Hey, maybe I'm not the brightest bulb out in the barn, but even I knew it was joking around. So, just lighten up, maybe try having a beer or two for breakfast. I recommend a bowl of cheerios and beer!

Amazing sailboat registration factoid: Sailboats under twenty feet do not require bow numbers, just the two registration stickers placed in the usual spots on the bow. Bow numbers are optional. And under 12', no registration required. If it has a motor, it needs to be registered, regardless of size.

The Marine Patrol in Glendale (Gilford) is happy to issue boat registrations.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-27-2008 at 07:13 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote