Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
GWC...

Default Register all boats...

Here's why it is important...

Quote:
Originally Posted by online Citizen
The sector dispatched a 25-foot response boat from Station Portsmouth Harbor in Portsmouth, N.H., to search the shoreline and harbor. The Rye, N.H., police department and Portsmouth Fire Department are also searching.

"If there is someone in the water, our goal right now is to find that person and bring him or her to safety," said Petty Officer 1st Class Ilya Atamaniuk, a search and rescue coordinator in the sector command center. "If anyone has information on the kayaker, please call the Sector Northern New England command center at (207) 767-0302."
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...690/-1/CITIZEN

Are the rescue response organizations wasting resources searching for a phantom victim?

If registered, the owner's ID and means of contact would be readily available.

Some FYI reading for kayak/canoers...

http://www.auxguidanceskills.info/pr...onKayaker.html
Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Kamper

No critisizm intended of our fine civil-servants...

Perhaps instead of feeding the bureucracy, boats not subjected to registration should have the name and address of the owner permanently marked (painted or stickerred) in a prominent spot.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Seeker

I register 3 boats already. I really don't want to have to register my wifes kayak, my canoe or the peddle boat. Bad enough we are going to get hit with a salt water fishing license soon.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
chipj29

In my opinion, kayaks, canoes and such should be registered. Maybe a one time fee, maybe a yearly fee. Not a lot of $$, but something. My reasoning is that how often do you hear of a canoer or kayaker needing resources for search and rescue? Seems it happens at least a couple times a year. Powerboat registrations fund the MP, therefore they fund the search and rescue.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I register 3 boats already. I really don't want to have to register my wifes kayak, my canoe or the peddle boat. Bad enough we are going to get hit with a salt water fishing license soon.
OK, then how about putting your name somewhere in it in indelible ink so if it is found the NHMP or Coast Guard has a clue??
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
In my opinion, kayaks, canoes and such should be registered. Maybe a one time fee, maybe a yearly fee. Not a lot of $$, but something. My reasoning is that how often do you hear of a canoer or kayaker needing resources for search and rescue? Seems it happens at least a couple times a year. Powerboat registrations fund the MP, therefore they fund the search and rescue.
I completely agree. If you need to register your Volvo..why not your Kayak? It seems ...only... Totally "Fair". The exeption to the above would be....the fee should be the same as ALL boats.

A place where I have stayed in the past on Lake Winni still has a "Sunfish" with a "Licence Plate" attached to the mini transom. It's think it's dated 1988. Remember those days? NoBozo
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Well then, your registration campaign might want to consider any conveyance/equipment that could lead to a search and rescue: mountain bikes; cross country skies, hiking boots, backpacks, snowshoes, hunting guns, and so on.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Bear Islander

I assume you people are trying to make a point. You don't really want to register all boats do you? That is a ridiculous idea.

Where will you draw the line? How about inflatable boats. What about the little plastic Seylor ones that you buy at the drug store. What about the rectangular one that are really the same but don't have a bow. Or a one person inflatable raft. While you are at it why not register toy boats and remote control boats, lots of money to be made there.

Canoes and kayaks do have to be registered under some conditions. The way it works now seems reasonable to me.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Exclamation Hikers vs. boaters

When hiking, State of NH will bill you for rescue efforts if authorities feel that you have not properly outfit yourself for the hike or you did something stupid. The state should do the same to boaters who do not pay for registration. I think it is only fair.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I assume you people are trying to make a point. You don't really want to register all boats do you? That is a ridiculous idea.

Canoes and kayaks do have to be registered under some conditions. The way it works now seems reasonable to me.
To repeat, for those blinded by their agendas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by online Citizen
"If there is someone in the water, our goal right now is to find that person and bring him or her to safety," said Petty Officer 1st Class Ilya Atamaniuk, a search and rescue coordinator in the sector command center. "If anyone has information on the kayaker, please call the Sector Northern New England command center at (207) 767-0302."
and in response to your response...

Great!!!

Happy that you called and gave the requested info...

Thusly, proving the lack of a need to register all boats - as in those that have the potential of being occupied by at least one person and said boat being found empty and the whereabouts of the occupant(s) unknown, thus creating a need for S&R to do their thing.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
2Blackdogs

No sooner than I think of reasons not to register non-powered boats than I pull a lost kayak out from under a dock! (Today at noon).

The dock looks long-unused and there's nobody home at the residence, so this must be an orphan from yesterday's violent storm.

It is a very light purple-gray, about 5 feet long, and marked "Nu-Nu" XL. It's a little scratched up from rubbing on the rocks upside down, but still looks shiny-new otherwise. An address label is too faded to read. I tied it on top of the dock it had foundered under.

The dock is maroon-red in color, and might be visible from the person(s) upwind location from which it came. I left some water in it so it won't get lost again from today's storm, which is thundering in the distance right now.

Otherwise, PM me for directions.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote