Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Bonus ideas

We are so grateful for the excellent job our construction crew managed to accomplish earlier this year, and we are looking for ideas for showing appreciation without going overboard or being a cheapskate. When you get older, sometimes it’s hard to be in the now, as opposed to the’70s, and it would be good to do this just right. Suggestions would be appreciated. There are four of them. Thanks.
Sue
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
fatlazyless

A Subway gift card that comes in 25-35-50-65-75-dollar amounts is the gift that keeps you in meatball marinara subs for a couple weeks.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Thanks, FLL....that wasn’t quite what we had in mind! 😂
Old 12-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
Mr. V

If they're drinking men, some very good quality liquor, or whatever beverage they prefer; if that isn't enough add gift cards to a good local pizza joint.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Sue,

I recently had a contractor build a garage with efficiency apartment above. I was extremely pleased with their work. I found out what the owner and his project manager liked to drink, both said Scotch. On the last day of the project I gave the owner his final payment check and presented each a very expensive bottle of Scotch that they both very much appreciated.

Dan
FlyingScot (12-06-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (12-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Thanks, FLL....that wasn’t quite what we had in mind!
I'm sure FLL can get you a good deal on Marie Calender chicken pot pies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #7
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Comedy Central?

I had no idea we had so many comedians on the forum! 🤨 At least I got a straight answer from ishoot. Thank you, Dan. Are there any other ideas out there? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

The constructive suggestions might be helpful to others, so I am going to put one out there that was a PM. He suggested $250 for each worker, $500 for the foreman, and this seems reasonable, given the scope of the job. So far I have 2 great possibilities. Much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

After a two or three day job, I tip my landscaper's crew $20-$50 each depending on the size of the job. Nothing significant if they just blow leaves around or cut the grass for an hour.. The owner loves it because they rarely get tips, and it's easy to get a good crew to show up at my place. These are people who come routinely, but the tips are for one-time major jobs. Often, on routine stuff,they come and go while I'm not present.
If this is a major job and you can identify individuals, that's a little different than if you think they are coming back repeatedly, but your tip will travel around, and it wilt make a difference next time. Just be consistent. I'd look at the cost of the total job, figure a % and split over the number of identifiable workers. Don't know how to handle the subcontractors. If it's a $50,000 job and you give the GC $5000 will all the workers get their share? I prefer to give workers cash in hand on the job site. Then they know who it is coming from.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
marinewife (12-06-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
After a two or three day job, I tip my landscaper's crew $20-$50 each depending on the size of the job. Nothing significant if they just blow leaves around or cut the grass for an hour.. The owner loves it because they rarely get tips, and it's easy to get a good crew to show up at my place. These are people who come routinely, but the tips are for one-time major jobs. Often, on routine stuff,they come and go while I'm not present.
If this is a major job and you can identify individuals, that's a little different than if you think they are coming back repeatedly, but your tip will travel around, and it wilt make a difference next time. Just be consistent. I'd look at the cost of the total job, figure a % and split over the number of identifiable workers. Don't know how to handle the subcontractors. If it's a $50,000 job and you give the GC $5000 will all the workers get their share? I prefer to give workers cash in hand on the job site. Then they know who it is coming from.
This one is very well thought out and helpful, and is not far off from our thinking. We just don’t want to be too far out either way. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
hd333

Default Bonus ideas

Really?

When my basement was finished our GC gave US a $200 bottle of wine and a nice bottle of Scotch to thank US.

I guess if you want to get them something I’d figure out their favorite booze or a $100 or more gift certificate to a local restaurant, that way you are helping 2 people out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
Really?

When my basement was finished our GC gave US a $200 bottle of wine and a nice bottle of Scotch to thank US.

I guess if you want to get them something I’d figure out their favorite booze or a $100 or more gift certificate to a local restaurant, that way you are helping 2 people out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a contractor do a very large job for me about 10 years ago and he sent me a turkey for Thanksgiving.
I guess times have changed when you have to give an extra reward for competent work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I had a contractor do a very large job for me about 10 years ago and he sent me a turkey for Thanksgiving.
I guess times have changed when you have to give an extra reward for competent work.
Nobody has said that you have to give extra reward for competent work. Our contractor and his team bent over backwards to get our reconstruction done in a professional and timely fashion so that we could move back into our house. Trust me when I say that they didn’t need us, but we needed them, and they were incredible, so we WANT to reward them. They deserve to be rewarded!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Descant (12-06-2020), ishoot308 (12-05-2020), TheRoBoat (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Agreed.

I don't ever see myself getting contractors a gift for doing a job, BUT I do take care of them during it. For example, I offer to buy lunch along the way, make sure they have cold drinks, etc.

If I were gonna do something afterward, it would have to be personal to show it really mattered to me rather than just throwing cash out.

The last gift I bought for someone who helped me was a GC to Twin Barns for someone who really enjoyed local craft beers.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #15
Winilyme

Quote:
We are so grateful for the excellent job our construction crew managed to accomplish earlier this year, and we are looking for ideas for showing appreciation without going overboard or being a cheapskate. When you get older, sometimes it’s hard to be in the now, as opposed to the’70s, and it would be good to do this just right. Suggestions would be appreciated. There are four of them. Thanks.
Sue
Sue...I think you've already got a few good ideas here but if you really want to take it to the next level, I have two suggestions on top of whatever reward you decide on:

1. Include heartfelt handwritten letters that sincerely tell them what their efforts meant to you. Gifts are great but long after the booze is gone, they will remember and talk about that letter (and it might help them get some additional business too).

2. Sounds like these guys/gals recognized your predicament and did everything in their power to give you a great experience and reduce your stress. I suggest that you send their spouse/family/significant other a note as well, possibly with a small gift certificate, recognizing them for their understanding and patience when so much focus and time undoubtedly took the workers away from their families. Those workers will never forget you.

Whatever you decide on, I think it's awesome that you are thinking this way.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #16
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Sue...I think you've already got a few good ideas here but if you really want to take it to the next level, I have two suggestions on top of whatever reward you decide on:

1. Include heartfelt handwritten letters that sincerely tell them what their efforts meant to you. Gifts are great but long after the booze is gone, they will remember and talk about that letter (and it might help them get some additional business too).

2. Sounds like these guys/gals recognized your predicament and did everything in their power to give you a great experience and reduce your stress. I suggest that you send their spouse/family/significant other a note as well, possibly with a small gift certificate, recognizing them for their understanding and patience when so much focus and time undoubtedly took the workers away from their families. Those workers will never forget you.

What great, thoughtful ideas, and well worth the effort. These guys deserve the best, and it’s very true that their wives and offspring had to make some sacrifices. We’ll have to think of something for them, as well. Thanks so much!
Sue
Old 12-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #17
Beardude

As a builder with a crew, you can't go wrong with cash. My guys always acknowledge how nice it is to work for customers that appreciate them and their work.
Beardude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beardude For This Useful Post:
marinewife (12-06-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #18
fatlazyless

For $5.65-each you can give them a 60-lb bag of TUBE SAND from Lowe's which every pickup truck needs placed above a rear wheel to improve winter traction, so they'll need two bags, one for each rear wheel.

Plus, when the pickup gets really stuck in the snow, you have the sand for spreading under the tires, too ........

Come summer ....... a bag of sand goes good in the bow of a canoe as dead weight ...... to balance out the canoe that's paddled by one lonely, solitary canoe paddler.

Plus, when you really get frustrated and annoyed ...... you can use the bag of sand ..... for a punching bag ..... and punch away on it!

TUBE SAND - 60-lbs - $5.65 ....... wonderful multi-use item! .....

For psychological self-help therapy ...... you can take it for a good long walk ...... carry the bag of sand in both arms as you go for a two mile walk ..... if you can do that ...... you can do anything! ..... ...... better atop both shoulders in a fireman's carry ....... way-to-go!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #19
KDL

Coming from the construction field, a tip or pat on the back is never expected.
However, acknowledgment of a good job from a satisfied customer goes a long way and is very much appreciated.
Cash and or food of any type or amount is a sure hit. None of the above will be forgotten.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KDL For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #20
Biggd

I didn't say you had too. I said "how times have changed". 10 years ago contractors were begging for work, now people are begging to get work done?
Quote:
Nobody has said that you have to give extra reward for competent work. Our contractor and his team bent over backwards to get our reconstruction done in a professional and timely fashion so that we could move back into our house. Trust me when I say that they didn’t need us, but we needed them, and they were incredible, so we WANT to reward them. They deserve to be rewarded!
Old 12-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Don't know how big the job was but I would suggest cash for the four people who did the work. It's always appreciated.
For the contractor, I would post a great review on BBB or Angies list and forward him a copy. I can tell you first hand that kind words are very uplifting and will make any business persons day. He will not forget it
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-06-2020), Biggd (12-06-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (12-06-2020), TheTimeTraveler (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #22
MotorHead

How about donating to a shelter, any shelter, on their behalf.

There are lots of unemployed people, veterans, animals. Name it.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
dickiej (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #23
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
How about donating to a shelter, any shelter, on their behalf.

There are lots of unemployed people, veterans, animals. Name it.
That’s certainly a worthwhile idea, but we would rather make a gift to them, and let them decide what to do with it. If they choose to donate their bonus to a shelter, that’s fine.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Hey ..... a $5.65-bag of 60-lbs tube sand could have a hidden small piece or two of real gold flakes among the sandy sand ...... and gold has gone from about $1200/ounce in 2017 ..... up to about $1800 in 2020 ...... so's just give them a bag of sand and tell them to go through it and GO for the GOLD! ...
Old 12-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #25
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post

I personally couldn't agree more on a thoughtful letter thanking them for their great work. Anybody can whip out a 50 or a 100 bill, sorry not much thought in that. I've received many letters from past and current customers and in my opinion that last much longer and carries more meaning from the heart. Best wishes
sky's is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
Beardude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
I personally couldn't agree more on a thoughtful letter thanking them for there great work. Anybody can whip out a 50 or a 100 bill, sorry not much thought in that. i've recieved many letters from past and current customers and in my opionion that last much longer and carries more meaning from the heart. Best wishes
I propose a combination of thoughts, a Thank You card with a personal note and a $100 +/- bill inside it. That will make a carpenter's day!
Beardude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beardude For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (12-07-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #27
Sue Doe-Nym

There were some really interesting and positive ideas, with some comic relief thrown in for good measure. We really appreciate the positive ideas, and will certainly use them. These ideas should be helpful to others who might be “ on the fence” with what makes sense . Hearing it from construction forum members is probably the best approach. Thanks to you all for the guidance. 😎
Old 12-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #28
Dave R

I can assure you that the best possible bonus you could ever give someone that does construction for a living is cash.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Beardude (12-06-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #29
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I can assure you that the best possible bonus you could ever give someone that does construction for a living is cash.
I think the workers would appreciate cash but the owner would probably appreciate a great review more.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #30
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Sometimes, it's hard to know how much cash, or how to thank the unseen people, like office staff, or family. Sending flowers to the office or home can cover that. They get displayed on the front counter as a thank you to the office, not to an individual, or to the family who supports the person you hired.

My Rotary Club runs a program called "Excellence in the Workplace" where we recognize people in town who have been nominated by a local citizen. It turns out this is a great way to recognize folks who are not in a position to accept gifts, like town or state employees. We recognize about 10 people a year, all at one ceremony that gets media publicity and is replayed on the town TV outlet. Your local Rotary Club may run a similar program.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote