Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #201
nhyitbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb9212 View Post
Maybe the city should do the demo, pay the bill, put a lean on the property. They would end up with the property because the Baldi's would never pay the restitution on it. In turn to compensate the city back they should say thank you and take the Colonial Property as the compensation instead of paying the $800K for it.
Now that's a plan...you know, it's the lienholder A.E. Mitchell that will have to figure out if he's going to continue with the Baldi's AND if they do want to rebuild eventually....they will have to negotiate the grandfather's clause to rebuild on the same footprint and for the same purpose. I don't think you and I will hold our breath for that one on both parts!

We are in agreement that this whole situation is unfortunate for the Weirs and we indeed are being held "hostage" until the matter is settled. The good news is the community is agreement...take it down. There's no evidence left and the fire dept would love the practice! Thanks for your input..it is valuable. Tonight, council meeting 7:30...you know you're invited to attend.
nhyitbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #202
no-engine

Sometimes City Council proceedings are broadcast live on cable.
Might anyone know if it will? But sometimes it's recorded and broadcast later.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #203
nhyitbos

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Sometimes City Council proceedings are broadcast live on cable.
Might anyone know if it will? But sometimes it's recorded and broadcast later.
Yes, it is live on Channel 25 or 26 tonight. Yes, they do broadcast later throughout the week. Good question.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhyitbos For This Useful Post:
no-engine (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #204
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyitbos View Post
Yes, it is live on Channel 25 or 26 tonight. Yes, they do broadcast later throughout the week. Good question.
Thanks I assume John; I was able to see it.

Maybe because of the court status, appearances seemed that no City Officer volunteered to step up to the plate, and try to move the process along.

Isn't this sort of thing that the Chamber of Commerce could follow up and establish communications with Baldi family? Don't we stereotype a Chamber of Commerce to "work" with business issues?

I'm not familiar if there is a group of Weirs area businesses; if yes, one member could converse in professional manner with Baldi family.

Someone mentioned the word "arson"; I still can't understand that Busby parks vehicles & equipment so close to the building.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #205
nhyitbos

Wink

Quote:
Thanks I assume John; I was able to see it.

Maybe because of the court status, appearances seemed that no City Officer volunteered to step up to the plate, and try to move the process along.

Isn't this sort of thing that the Chamber of Commerce could follow up and establish communications with Baldi family? Don't we stereotype a Chamber of Commerce to "work" with business issues?

I'm not familiar if there is a group of Weirs area businesses; if yes, one member could converse in professional manner with Baldi family.

Someone mentioned the word "arson"; I still can't understand that Busby parks vehicles & equipment so close to the building.
WAC represents the area businesses...however, this is a community issue and many signed solely as property/business owners. I have tried to contact Larry on numerous times with no results. He has no intention of working with the community being either in the Weirs or Laconia. The mayor tonight was the only one who "got it" when it came to the petition. The petition was never asking for the unilateral force of the city to tear it down.....it was strictly to have the SUPREME COURT rank it higher to ALLOW the city to tear it down and place a lien on the property. The Baldi's are being unreasonable as not only business owners but as a community property owner. Based on results, they are the real loosers in this situation all over again...loss of respect from their neighbors/community and respect for themselves not having the dignity to accept that the business is lost and move on towards rebuilding their life and business. Funny, the Weirs hasn't taken a position against their plight in 20 months. However, just recently Ms. Baldi referenced her neighbors as "the nasty's" on her Facebook (FB) page. Sad. As for arson gossip, people can say what they will...there's no proof, there's no final fire report..I say, innocent until proven otherwise. However, the building cannot give anymore evidence...it should have come down without any lawsuits filed. The Baldi's are only guilty of only one thing, bad judgement in dealing with a loss.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #206
no-engine

WELL STATED. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
nhyitbos (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #207
riverat

Default Wmur

http://www.wmur.com/news/31065487/detail.html
nhyitbos (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #208
jetskier

Default That won't do anything

"The city council recommended that area businesses talk to the building's owners about the issue."

Really?

Jetskier

Last edited by jetskier; 05-15-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #209
crowsnest

LACONIA, N.H. -- Business owners in Laconia are asking the city to tear down the remnants of a restaurant that was destroyed in a fire.

The Wide Open Saloon burned down in 2010. A shell of the building is still standing as the family who owns it, the insurance company and the city fight over the future of the property.

Weirs Beach business owners said the building is an eyesore and hurts tourism.

The city council recommended that area businesses talk to the building's owners about the issue.

REALLLLY
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #210
crowsnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
"The city council recommended that area businesses talk to the building's owners about the issue."

Really?

Jetskier
Sorry it looks like we had the same thaught at the same time
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #211
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
LACONIA, N.H. -- Business owners in Laconia are asking the city to tear down the remnants of a restaurant that was destroyed in a fire.

The Wide Open Saloon burned down in 2010. A shell of the building is still standing as the family who owns it, the insurance company and the city fight over the future of the property.

Weirs Beach business owners said the building is an eyesore and hurts tourism.

The city council recommended that area businesses talk to the building's owners about the issue.

REALLLLY
I think user nhy... was there and expressed it very well; I was watching it live on community TV.

Be careful what one reads on WMUR TV, as quite incomplete.

As I wrote, I think City officials are careful how they express personal opinions, because of the court situation not concluded. Their hands are tied.

They did agree that it's an eyesore too long. I'm not legal authority, but I think if they disobey a court order which is in appeal stage, they have problems. I think they agreed to encourage the courts to move on the issue.

Council DID suggest that first thing should be communications immediately.

There was a more accurate (than Chan 9) report in today's Sun Daily paper on page 11.
I speculate that that Chan 9 was not present.

If nothing else, some media activity was created! I'd say: NICE WORK, JOHN!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #212
Belmont Resident

Default that is funny

Quote:
I think user nhy... was there and expressed it very well; I was watching it live on community TV.

Be careful what one reads on WMUR TV, as quite incomplete.

As I wrote, I think City officials are careful how they express personal opinions, because of the court situation not concluded. Their hands are tied.

They did agree that it's an eyesore too long. I'm not legal authority, but I think if they disobey a court order which is in appeal stage, they have problems. I think they agreed to encourage the courts to move on the issue.

Council DID suggest that first thing should be communications immediately.

There was a more accurate (than Chan 9) report in today's Sun Daily paper on page 11.
I speculate that that Chan 9 was not present.

If nothing else, some media activity was created! I'd say: NICE WORK, JOHN!
A couple of us were just talking about how terrible WMUR is when it comes to news reporting.
I hate to admit it but Channel 7 and FOX 25 both have better more accurate coverage on NH news and even breaking new then WMUR does.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #213
Sunset View

Default Off Subject!

We need to have the WOS razed/removed; Memorial Day weekend is less than 2 weeks away and again, we must live with the filth, smell and disgusting image projected by the burned out dump the Wide Open Saloon is!

This isn't about bike week or the people that ride, it's about the eyesore the WOS has become. How in God's name can the town, elected state and town officals and the especially Gov Lynch allow that embarrassment to continue to stand? Amazing that in this day and age people like the Baldis can control the system, I read all the court documents so I'm not surprised by the inaction but, enough is surely enough! Don Thurston, you are a powerful, reasonable and smart man, you along with your brother Jeff must be able to move this process along. It can't be good for business.
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #214
no-engine

Well stated, SV!

It's got to be a health hazard for the neighbors AND the Busby workers.
The upper floors seem more precarious every day that I go by.
The wrecking ball would have a blast ~ toppling so easily.
Sunset View (05-22-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #215
meredith weekender

Quote:
Well stated, SV!

It's got to be a health hazard for the neighbors AND the Busby workers.
The upper floors seem more precarious every day that I go by.
The wrecking ball would have a blast ~ toppling so easily.

maybe the BUSBY Equipment can somehow back into the structure and take it down
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #216
no-engine

Great idea!
However, when skimming the documents, I understood there exists a debt to Busby; thus only far out speculation that there is some bartering going on. Otherwise, why would any contractor park vehicles so close to a very unstable building???

Media coverage is getting out again: Today's Laconia Daily Sun has a caption under a photo of bulbs being replaced at the Weirs Sign, on front page. WOS in background! Well done, Sun!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #217
kchadw

Each summer and fall when I return to N. H. I travel to the Weirs and around the lake and other areas....Each time, I make a comment to my wife about h ow much of an eyesore this is for the area and how it must hurt business in the area.

Has anyone discussed a law suit against the city ? I have never seen anything like this to last as long as this has...Maybe a local business org. could bring a suit against the responsible party or parties for allowing this to go on...I really think a discussion with an attorney could at least get some answers...if not more...

I'll be passing again soon....Hopefully something positive will be on the books by then...
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #218
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
Each summer and fall when I return to N. H. I travel to the Weirs and around the lake and other areas....Each time, I make a comment to my wife about h ow much of an eyesore this is for the area and how it must hurt business in the area.

Has anyone discussed a law suit against the city ? I have never seen anything like this to last as long as this has...Maybe a local business org. could bring a suit against the responsible party or parties for allowing this to go on...I really think a discussion with an attorney could at least get some answers...if not more...

I'll be passing again soon....Hopefully something positive will be on the books by then...
I'm not sure why this point keeps getting lost - The owners are entitled to all of the available due processes under the law before their property can be seized from them for any reason. Yes, maybe the petition will be noticed by the Court and this will be put on top of the pile. Maybe not. The property is secured with fencing and the building is not an imminent hazard. The rear of the building even looks salvageable (just sayin'!).
Could be that the owners are creeps, but that doesn't count in property law.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #219
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
You sound like the people in Arlington, MA who are not allowed to use leaf blowers anymore or in Concord, MA with the no bottled water....What is wrong with people days? There is much more in life to worry about than all this sh**!!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #220
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
You sound like the people in Arlington, MA who are not allowed to use leaf blowers anymore or in Concord, MA with the no bottled water....What is wrong with people days? There is much more in life to worry about than all this sh**!!
Do not forget Cambridge already voting the no weedwacker leaf blower law in, THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CAMBRIDGE.

Now they are all pissed becasue landscapers increased pricing, becuase cleanup now has to be done by hand, and they are pissed off it is costing them more

WHAT MORONS

Oh yeah Emperor Duval doe snot want the police to follow a federal law to report to ICE and the FEDS if they pull over someone that is an illegal because it is not fear, he went out publically against this
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #221
Happy Gourmand

Default Blame Game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View View Post
We need to have the WOS razed/removed; Memorial Day weekend is less than 2 weeks away and again, we must live with the filth, smell and disgusting image projected by the burned out dump the Wide Open Saloon is!

This isn't about bike week or the people that ride, it's about the eyesore the WOS has become. How in God's name can the town, elected state and town officals and the especially Gov Lynch allow that embarrassment to continue to stand? Amazing that in this day and age people like the Baldis can control the system, I read all the court documents so I'm not surprised by the inaction but, enough is surely enough! Don Thurston, you are a powerful, reasonable and smart man, you along with your brother Jeff must be able to move this process along. It can't be good for business.
Why stop the blame at the Governor? I think it's Obama's fault!
I'm with Heaven on this, like it or not, agree or disagree, the owners, regardless of their community standing and personal behavior, are entitled to their due process.
We'd all like to make this go away, but until the court decides, we all have to abide by and respect the process.
Like somebody said, It is what it is.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #222
no-engine

Default All....

There's a new user named weirs drive in or close to that phrase. Maybe some conversation can be established. There was a post on thread related to the domain name of drive in........

On another stupid note heard as I was gassing my car at the Citgo convenience store, on the Laconia side of the bridge. Another client said that owners of WOS are suing City because "City owns portions of building" because parts are on City property. I commented the road is State, but usually there is easement not ownership. To me, such story of suite is really just ludicrous. What more will come, but that's from only ONE now a RUMOR. He said the building is filled with asbestous!

I saw a Busby pick up truck very late today, and came close to asking driver why equipment is so near to the unstable building.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #223
nhyitbos

Quote:
There's a new user named weirs drive in or close to that phrase. Maybe some conversation can be established. There was a post on thread related to the domain name of drive in........

On another stupid note heard as I was gassing my car at the Citgo convenience store, on the Laconia side of the bridge. Another client said that owners of WOS are suing City because "City owns portions of building" because parts are on City property. I commented the road is State, but usually there is easement not ownership. To me, such story of suite is really just ludicrous. What more will come, but that's from only ONE now a RUMOR. He said the building is filled with asbestous!

I saw a Busby pick up truck very late today, and came close to asking driver why equipment is so near to the unstable building.
Somebody may WANT the city to own part of the building, I cannot speak specifically what the 4 suits entail (I do know that A is suing B is suing C is suing A) fits the scenerio anyway....but that's a stretch that the city has encroaching property lines, (if I understand the "rumor"); the title company would have never given a title policy with an encumbrance of that nature, wouldn't you agree?...let's chaulk that up to another wild rumor....what's not a rumor is that there IS asbestos. That is the reason for such a high cost to raze and disposed of...Glad you posted, it is important that rumors are dismissed as soon as possible. Come to think about it...if the owners would just keep neighbors abreast of "what's happening"..they might find more support than they realize. Oh well, we all conduct our business differently and they must think that this is the best course to eliminate further exposure to scrutiny but based on results not the gossip. Thanks again for posting the lastest so it could be addressed early.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #224
nhyitbos

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I'm not sure why this point keeps getting lost - The owners are entitled to all of the available due processes under the law before their property can be seized from them for any reason. Yes, maybe the petition will be noticed by the Court and this will be put on top of the pile. Maybe not. The property is secured with fencing and the building is not an imminent hazard. The rear of the building even looks salvageable (just sayin'!).
Could be that the owners are creeps, but that doesn't count in property law.
So true...except about the back...! Raze it...start o-v-e-r...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #225
no-engine

Quote:
Somebody may WANT the city to own part of the building, I cannot speak specifically what the 4 suits entail (I do know that A is suing B is suing C is suing A) fits the scenerio anyway....but that's a stretch that the city has encroaching property lines, (if I understand the "rumor"); the title company would have never given a title policy with an encumbrance of that nature, wouldn't you agree?...let's chaulk that up to another wild rumor....what's not a rumor is that there IS asbestos. That is the reason for such a high cost to raze and disposed of...Glad you posted, it is important that rumors are dismissed as soon as possible. Come to think about it...if the owners would just keep neighbors abreast of "what's happening"..they might find more support than they realize. Oh well, we all conduct our business differently and they must think that this is the best course to eliminate further exposure to scrutiny but based on results not the gossip. Thanks again for posting the lastest so it could be addressed early.
Thanks for the thoughts/observations.
Owners would also likely NOT get an occupancy permit or liquor license if the bar/lounger were infringing on another 's property, especially State highway right of way!

So right, owners communications to neighbors would create much support! Maybe the group that went to City Council last week should go to Fire Marshal's office, assuming that proceedings are stalled there; media has reported that fire remains "under investigation." My observation: if not now, soon entry to lower level will be extremely bad idea due to instability of the upper floors. I would not enter the spaces, and I would never park my construction equipment so near a disaster "about to happen."

I encourage user "weirs drive in" to post comments!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #226
nhyitbos

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts/observations.
Owners would also likely NOT get an occupancy permit or liquor license if the bar/lounger were infringing on another 's property, especially State highway right of way!

So right, owners communications to neighbors would create much support! Maybe the group that went to City Council last week should go to Fire Marshal's office, assuming that proceedings are stalled there; media has reported that fire remains "under investigation." My observation: if not now, soon entry to lower level will be extremely bad idea due to instability of the upper floors. I would not enter the spaces, and I would never park my construction equipment so near a disaster "about to happen."

I encourage user "weirs drive in" to post comments!
Update to your thought: Yesterday our WARD I Councilor Ava Doyle delivered in person to the NH Attorney General the petition for review and intervention as to RANKING the case higher on the docket list of the NH Supreme Court. Much thanks is given to Councilor Doyle as she did this on her own because she understood the importance of its message. Also, Paula Tracey of the Union Leader was in town yesterday doing a story on it..our friend John Ganong was thrilled at its delivery to the state and the developing story in the Union (maybe today's?)...he wants it on the Gov's desk...the man never quits (haha)...I like the wait and see...to go over the AG's head at this point would be insulting....yea WB for coming together as a community as a whole...couldn't be prouder.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nhyitbos For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (05-18-2012), no-engine (05-18-2012), Sunset View (05-22-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #227
SIKSUKR

I found this kind of amusing when I read it on the Weirs Drive-in website reguarding motorcycle week vendor info.

Wide Open Salon
(property where it used to be)

One could only hope.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #228
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Update to your thought: Yesterday our WARD I Councilor Ava Doyle delivered in person to the NH Attorney General the petition for review and intervention as to RANKING the case higher on the docket list of the NH Supreme Court. Much thanks is given to Councilor Doyle as she did this on her own because she understood the importance of its message. Also, Paula Tracey of the Union Leader was in town yesterday doing a story on it..our friend John Ganong was thrilled at its delivery to the state and the developing story in the Union (maybe today's?)...he wants it on the Gov's desk...the man never quits (haha)...I like the wait and see...to go over the AG's head at this point would be insulting....yea WB for coming together as a community as a whole...couldn't be prouder.
The court's going to do what the court's going to do. As a separate branch of government, they don't answer to the AG or even the Governor.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #229
nhyitbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
The court's going to do what the court's going to do. As a separate branch of government, they don't answer to the AG or even the Governor.

That is true, however, doesn't cost anything to ask for what "you" want...we did...now we'll see...sometimes that's the trouble of society they don't ask because they take "no" personally. AG was interested, asked questions, drove by the site...that's all we asked for. You write as though we imposed ourselves for nothing. Based on results, I don't feel we did.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #230
P-3 Guy

Quote:
That is true, however, doesn't cost anything to ask for what "you" want...we did...now we'll see...sometimes that's the trouble of society they don't ask because they take "no" personally. AG was interested, asked questions, drove by the site...that's all we asked for. You write as though we imposed ourselves for nothing. Based on results, I don't feel we did.
No, it doesn't hurt to ask, and maybe you'll get a favorable result. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #231
no-engine

Default Roundabout construction

FYI. A little off subject, BUT... came by earlier today.
Did not think worthy of a new thread.

Sign says paving tomorrow the 21st. think I'll avoid...
crowsnest (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #232
nhyitbos

Quote:
FYI. A little off subject, BUT... came by earlier today.
Did not think worthy of a new thread.

Sign says paving tomorrow the 21st. think I'll avoid...
haha....I know thought the same thing and decided I better hit the grocery store today....anything else...Cumberland Farms.....what if it rains???? Do they still pave? Delay? .

PS Did you know that we are trying to get the city to start referring the roundabout as "Blackstone" roundabout...or circle or rotary? There is a plaque on the bridge referencing the brothers the bridge is dedicated to...time to retire "malfunction junction"...unless of course this doesn't work.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #233
nhyitbos

Default Rumor...trying to confirm.....

Just received a text message that the Supreme Court is hearing the Wide Open Saloon case tomorrow.....let's hope this "rumor" source is reliable....

Here's what I found on the Supreme Court website...looks like it's the opinion that is coming down but is it the "right" suit to raze the building ???

To be released May 22, 2012
■ 2010-679, State of New Hampshire v. Steven Forest
■2011-368, Appeal of Liberty Assembly of God & a .
■2011-381, Appeal of Town of Seabrook
■2011-502, 38 Endicott Street North, LLC v. State Fire Marshall, New Hampshire Division of Fire Safety

Last edited by nhyitbos; 05-21-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #234
jtb9212

Default Supreme Court Ruling

See attached link for the Supreme Court Ruling:

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/suprem...57endicott.pdf
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #235
RailroadJoe

Default Lawyers - who needs them

Like I say, those lawyers are pretty ...........
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #236
Mr. V

A well written opinion by the NH Supreme Court.

Logical, and it reached the correct result.

This is interesting ...

"In this case, the Fire Marshal provided the affidavit from Investigator
Clark as evidence that proceedings are reasonably anticipated. In the affidavit,
Investigator Clark specifically stated that “[t]he [f]ire investigation is open and
ongoing . . . [and] I have a reasonable belief that this investigation will lead to
criminal charges.” "

Hello, arson charge?

Stay tuned ...
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
nhyitbos (05-24-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #237
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb9212 View Post
See attached link for the Supreme Court Ruling:

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/suprem...57endicott.pdf
So, this case was all about whether or not the owners of the property could have access to documents from the Fire Marshal's investigation. The court said no. What impact, if any, does this ruling have on the timeline for getting the structure razed? Is there another case pending with the New Hampshire Supreme Court?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #238
jtb9212

Default It will be years....

Again, I will say it like I did in an earlier post. My prediction and I am sorry to say it. It will probably be years before anything is done with that property. Its already been what, 2 years? You have to keep in mind the calibler of people we are dealing with here. The Baldi's would probably spend the equivalent in attroney fees that they would to raze the structure.

Remember, for every attorney that was at the top of their class, there was an attorney at the bottom of thier class. Those are the ones who represent scum like this crew.

They are all about the money. Even if they finally tear it down. Even if they rebuild it. Do you think the people in the Lakes Region are going to embrace them re opening and support their business? I would hope not. Even if they were to rebuild, I am sure at the end there will be a list of people that they didn't pay and a list of people they screwed over. They screwed the company John Carter Sprinkler Company out of $36K for their sprinkler system. Never paid him a dime for all the work they did there.

But hey, lets all hold hands and go to the Drive-In. Better yet, how about some Laconians go to some public hearings and see about getting some vendor space permits denied for Bike Week.

Remember....sometimes some people just suck!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (05-22-2012), Sunset View (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #239
SIKSUKR

I'm not sure these leagal ranglings can be compared between razing costs and lawyers.If I understand whats going on here its whether or not the insurance with pay out or not based on whether the fire was arson or another cause.Much bigger dollars at stake for recovery of insurance than trying to undermind an arson finding.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #240
jtb9212

Default Insurance

As I understand it the insurance comapny is not paying because the owners failed to meet the terms of the insurance companies requirements on the building. One of which was as I understand it having a fully sprinkled building. Only the 1st floor had sprinkler protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #241
Mr. V

The suit was brought by the owners of the property who are understandably worried about why it is taking so long for the Fire Marshall to finish the investigation.

Their key concern is for their own hides, not tearing the building down.

Be patient, I see a "happy ending..."
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
nhyitbos (05-24-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #242
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Why stop the blame at the Governor? I think it's Obama's fault!
I'm with Heaven on this, like it or not, agree or disagree, the owners, regardless of their community standing and personal behavior, are entitled to their due process.
We'd all like to make this go away, but until the court decides, we all have to abide by and respect the process.
Like somebody said, It is what it is.
Good point...it is Obama's fault!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #243
meredith weekender

I think a bailout might be in order here.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #244
nhyitbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith weekender View Post
I think a bailout might be in order here.
haha...for us or the Baldi's....? What a mess...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #245
NoBozo

Quote:
Good point...it is Obama's fault!
YES..... BUT HE ..inherited it from BUSH. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #246
no-engine

Bike week fast approaching, lets see how the traffic at the now partial roundabout goes? I think the plan was live as is till more work after Labor Day.

I keep going by and see no work on saloon. or no partial collapse of the unstable structure. Let's see how many vendors set up there and within grounds of the drive-in, and at the almost inactive water slide & mini golf?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #247
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
YES..... BUT HE ..inherited it from BUSH. NB
Riiiiiiiiiiiight................and I bet you look like Brad Pitt!

Back to topic: Knock down the dump that is/was the Wide Open Saloon!!! Come on people, it's summer and our area is looking worse and worse each week.........does anyone care about home values, tourists, and quality of community? Take a ride to Lake George, this type of eyesore would never be allowed to happen there and if it had, you can bet your bottom dollar no one would be talking about Bush or OBama; they wold be expediting the process to uphold the image that is Lake George. We need to do the same for our wonderful and beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee! Enough with the drive-in, enough with the waterslide (that also is looking pathetic) and enough with the Wide Open Saloon........the entry to Lake Winnipesaukee is being denigrated by 2/3s of these three estsblishments.......avoid the drive in and the waterslide at all costs! Obviously, the owners care little about our community or their businesses!

Go MITT!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
no-engine (05-26-2012), Sully (05-31-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #248
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View;

[U
Back to topic[/U]: Knock down the dump that is/was the Wide Open Saloon!!! Come on people, it's summer and our area is looking worse and worse each week.........does anyone care about home values, tourists, and quality of community? Take a ride to Lake George, this type of eyesore would never be allowed to happen there and if it had, you can bet your bottom dollar no one would be talking about Bush or OBama; they wold be expediting the process to uphold the image that is Lake George. We need to do the same for our wonderful and beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee! Enough with the drive-in, enough with the waterslide (that also is looking pathetic) and enough with the Wide Open Saloon........the entry to Lake Winnipesaukee is being denigrated by 2/3s of these three estsblishments.......avoid the drive in and the waterslide at all costs! Obviously, the owners care little about our community or their businesses!
FOR SURE sunset! Great message.

Why not gather all the area firefighters and volunteer fire men/women and create a planned drill. What a training! Pre-planned within & the immediate neighbors, but not necessarily released to the media in advance.

Make it mid-week, very soon, after all the Holiday visitors are gone.
The Busby office trailer and most equipment is gone! A sure sign they are gone till September.
Sunset View (05-29-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #249
Sunset View

Can there be no connection to the dump that is the WB water slide and the run down Drive In? Is there no creativity ? Is there no concern whatsoever about the terrible reputation the Weirs is being cast with? How long will it be before those tourists with dollars to put back into the community will opt for different locations?....can't the town's selectmen and elected officals force the dead beat owners to spruce up both of those establishments while the general public and all the of the out of state tourists wait for the 5 year anniversary of the WOS's fire and tear down?

I ask you, where else would such aggregous shenanigans be allowed? Elected officals, you should all be ashamed of yourselves; I hope you all enjoy "The Dictator" at the drive in Friday night, may it rain like there's no tomorrow!

TIER THE WOS DOWN!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
Lmurphy (06-06-2012), no-engine (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #250
no-engine

Quote:
Can there be no connection to the dump that is the WB water slide and the run down Drive In? Is there no creativity ? Is there no concern whatsoever about the terrible reputation the Weirs is being cast with? How long will it be before those tourists with dollars to put back into the community will opt for different locations?....can't the town's selectmen and elected officials force the dead beat owners to spruce up both of those establishments while the general public and all the of the out of state tourists wait for the 5 year anniversary of the WOS's fire and tear down?

I ask you, where else would such aggregous shenanigans be allowed? Elected officals, you should all be ashamed of yourselves; I hope you all enjoy "The Dictator" at the drive in Friday night, may it rain like there's no tomorrow!

TIER THE WOS DOWN!

VERY GOOD, Thanks for expressing opinion..... All three properties are family related as you must know! NOW, look at the revenue stream (cash likely) from bike related vender tents, including the bike week association at uphill parking of slide! Many in position for TWO weeks or more!

WHY NOT A LETTER TO EDITOR IN LOCAL PAPERS?

I would, but I work at a business in a neighboring community, and vote there. However, I do drive by very frequently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
Lmurphy (06-06-2012), Sunset View (06-08-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #251
LongBay

Default My next prediction...Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
My next prediction on this debacle is The Wall at Fenway Park will come down before the Wide Open. So let's see what's still standing by end of day July 1st, 2012.
Well here we are it's July 2nd. The Wall did came down at Fenway Park last night but not after a plane crashed into it first. It took the work of the stage crew who spent the day building it to knock it down in less than one minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHyJ...eature=related

With that said, it's time for my next prediction regarding the fate of the Wide Open. We are going to get above average snowfall this winter. All that snow will be appreciated by the skiers, snowmobilers and nearby property owners as they watch the snow pile up and finally see the Wide Open walls come tumbling down from all that snow piling up in the Saloon.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LongBay For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (07-03-2012), moose tracks (08-10-2012), Sunset View (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #252
Belmont Resident

Default My god.

Quote:
Well here we are it's July 2nd. The Wall did came down at Fenway Park last night but not after a plane crashed into it first. It took the work of the stage crew who spent the day building it to knock it down in less than one minute.

With that said, it's time for my next prediction regarding the fate of the Wide Open. We are going to get above average snowfall this winter. All that snow will be appreciated by the skiers, snowmobilers and nearby property owners as they watch the snow pile up and finally see the Wide Open walls come tumbling down from all that snow piling up in the Saloon.
Like a bunch of old ladies constantly gossiping about the neighbor.
Yes it’s ugly but how dead can a dead horse get before you stop beating it to a pulp.
No amount of commenting on this forum is going to have an impact when those who own the property don’t care what others think about them or what they choose to do.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #253
Sunset View

Quote:

LB, One can only pray you're right.......amazing, it's July 3rd and we are hoping for snow to mask the dump that is the WOS! I'm with you LB....here's wishing for the mother of all blizzards in Novemebr and/or December...finally we'll be able to look forward to the sumer of 2013 without the WOS! Come on SNOW!!! Perhaps we should get in touch with Gunstock and borrow a snow gun for a few days............hmmmm.........it might just work.

Have a great, safe and enjoyable 4th everyone; and on this day, please remember our brave troops with enormous pride as they risk their lives everyday to provide you and me with freedom. Go USA!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #254
AB_Monterey

Quote:

LB, I'm guessing you were there too? Amazing show.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #255
LongBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
LB, I'm guessing you were there too? Amazing show.
Unfortunately I did not get to the show at Fenway but I did see it at Madison Square Garden.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #256
nhyitbos

Default Offer made, offer rejected

WOS was offered by a large contractor to tear it down sans the abatement. They turned it down. LB replied, "F the Weirs, F Laconia". Nice.

They will tear it down when THEY are ready. Its a reflection of them, hence the comments on this blog.

Lesson: When you are always trying to get even; you'll never get ahead!

Personally, I feel for their plight due to the Ponzi scheme...insurance fights, state not willing to release the report, slow court system. Then their personal home burns. Coach Holtz said that "Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you react." The whole situation is unfortunate.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #257
Resident 2B

Quote:
WOS was offered by a large contractor to tear it down sans the abatement. They turned it down. LB replied, "F the Weirs, F Laconia". Nice.

They will tear it down when THEY are ready. Its a reflection of them, hence the comments on this blog.

Lesson: When you are always trying to get even; you'll never get ahead!

Personally, I feel for their plight due to the Ponzi scheme...insurance fights, state not willing to release the report, slow court system. Then their personal home burns. Coach Holtz said that "Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you react." The whole situation is unfortunate.
Just so everyone knows, the LB quoted here is not LongBay.

R2B
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #258
nhyitbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Just so everyone knows, the LB quoted here is not LongBay.

R2B
haha....right! correction LBdi...that works!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #259
Mr. V

Quote:
The whole situation is unfortunate.
Yeah, you reap what you sow.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #260
Janet

The Citizen has a headline today that says the Wide Open Saloon will be torn down next week. Can't read the article as I don't have a subscription. Will check out the Laconia Daily Sun to see if they have the info.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
MaidenCove07 (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #261
AC2717

i hope so, wonder if this is the case, how long it will stay a pile of rubble, or vancant lot with a fence around it with weeds growing all over the place, but
my guess:
it will be torn down, and a leveled lot will show up to be only used for bike week vendors - if this is the case, yay
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #262
no-engine

I also see Citizen headline in the vending machines. Nothing in Sun.

Also, I commute that way often. The highway signs of construction are back up. Busby crews are out marking the pavements. No Busby equipment is behind Saloon, as before; they must have another site for their staging.
We shall see, as I may commute that way later today after 5:00.

Move on Baldi family members! Thurston's and other neighbors must be happy!
Sunset View (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #263
Sunset View

Default Beautify

Quote:
I also see Citizen headline in the vending machines. Nothing in Sun.

Also, I commute that way often. The highway signs of construction are back up. Busby crews are out marking the pavements. No Busby equipment is behind Saloon, as before; they must have another site for their staging.
We shall see, as I may commute that way later today after 5:00.

Move on Baldi family members! Thurston's and other neighbors must be happy!
No-Engine is right; good for Don and Jeff Thurston, the Lobster Pound and all the businesses that do care about civic responsibility at the Weirs......they and so many others didn't deserve this type of nonsense for so long. Good for the Weirs, our beautiful lake and the entrance to Winnipesuakee....I sincerely hope we can all take a step forward and beautify the jewel that is the Weirs. As for the Baldis, I hope they take their tired, disgraceful act to a place where people will embrace their ignorance. Here's hoping they land many miles away from NH.......Good riddance to all the Baldis!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #264
no-engine

Quote:
As for the Baldis, I hope they take their tired, disgraceful act to a place where people will embrace their ignorance. Here's hoping they land many miles away from NH.......Good riddance to all the Baldis!
Great! We like that!
However, is it known that land ownership will change with demolition? I have not read so. Nor have we read that others in family have changed their interest (ownership) in the Weirs Water Slide or the Drive-In.
They also own the Colonial Theatre in downtown Laconia.
Let's not head beyond this first grand step of site clean-up, for which we all seem very appreciative.

Good sized back hoe has started tearing at the back side, observed as I went by between 5 & 6pm. No name on back hoe. Busby water tanker truck was parked on side of entry to drive in, outside the fencing.

Last edited by no-engine; 09-07-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: observation commuting
Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #265
evergreenenvious

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
i hope so, wonder if this is the case, how long it will stay a pile of rubble, or vancant lot with a fence around it with weeds growing all over the place, but
my guess:
it will be torn down, and a leveled lot will show up to be only used for bike week vendors - if this is the case, yay
Its being taken down. You can all stop with the complaining and attacking of the baldis. How long it will stay whatever..... shouldn't matter to you, it doesn't matter what they do or what they go through you all are still going to find some reason to talk about them, some fault in them.
evergreenenvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #266
no-engine

Chan 9 News: said "all parties have come to agreement" to tear it down!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #267
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Chan 9 News: said "all parties have come to agreement" to tear it down!
The owners are also paying for it to be taken down and should be completed by the middle of next week.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #268
Winnisquamguy

Default Article from LDS

Wide Open Saloon can be rebuilt on same footprint within 1 year

LACONIA — Work to demolish the remains of the Wide Open Saloon at the Weirs, which was severely damaged by fire in the early morning hours of September 17, 2010, finally began yesterday. Anthony McConnachie Farm and Construction Company of Hampstead is undertaking the work for Brandi Baldi, the principal of 38 Endicott Street North, LLC, the owner of the property.
According to the demolition permit issued to Baldi, the work is scheduled to be completed Wednesday, September 12. City Manager Scott myers said that if the building is not razed on time, in keeping with an order issued by the 4th Circuit Court-Laconia Division last year the city could demolish the building and bill the owners for the cost of the work. However, he doubted it would be necessary to invoke the court order.
After the fire, the charred remains of the building stood for nearly two years, its demolition stalled by several strands of litigation. Baldi appealed a court order, sought by the city to demolish it, pursued a claim against Lloyds of London, her insurance carrier, and sued the New Hampshire State Fire Marshall for withholding information about the fire. At the same time, the firm that installed the alarm and sprinkler systems sued Baldi for failing to pay for the work.
As early as May of last year other business owners at the Weirs urged the City Council to take steps to hasten the demolition of the building, which they described as an eyesore casting a pall over the resort community that placed its hotels, cottages, restaurants and attractions at a disadvantage.
Myers said that the city settled with Baldi, noting that both parties agreed not to seek attorney's fees and court costs from the other. The New Hampshire Supreme Court rejected Baldi's claim against the fire marshal while the outcome of the remaining suits is unclear.
Planning Director Shanna Saunders said yesterday that once the demolition is complete, the owners of the property will have one year to make a good faith effort, which could amount to filing a site plan or pulling a building permit, to rebuild on the same footprint, without being bound by changes in the zoning ordinance enacted since the original building was constructed.
Baldi could not be reached to comment about future plans for the property.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...4-saloon-razed
evergreenenvious (09-08-2012), Marauder (09-08-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (09-13-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #269
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Does anyone know if they did anything with the burt saloon or have any plans for it. I hope they rebuild or knock it down before tourist season starts this year !
It looks like it has been demolished
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #270
meredith weekender

Went by this morning and it is a pile of rubble. Thanks to the Baldi family for stepping up to the p,ate and taking this down. Wishing them luck with future plans for the property. A casino sounds good to me.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #271
SIKSUKR

I would call it more like being dragged to the plate kicking and screamimg.Hardly worth a thank you.
Billy Bob (09-19-2012), CGI3 (09-15-2012), nicole (09-10-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (09-13-2012), Sunset View (09-21-2012), Winnigirl (09-10-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #272
corollaman

Default Good Riddance!

It's about time! So glad that dump is finally gone! They should just sell the land, or use it for Bike Week space. The Weirs could definitely use more parking too.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #273
LongBay

Default Be careful for what you wish for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
...The Weirs could definitely use more parking too.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
-joni mitchell
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #274
Altonbayicefishingfool

They should have just let the fire dept. use it as training and burn it to the pavement.. Would have been a lot easier.. Been driving by that dump twice a day for a year and a half.. What an eye sore! Place your bets now on what will be there next summer, I'm guessing prime vendor space @ bike week and parking the rest of the summer..
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #275
Shore Driver

I always enjoyed sitting on that patio at night. It's a unique spot to watch the world go by at the Weirs. Hoping they rebuild it - the Weirs needs something there besides parking.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shore Driver For This Useful Post:
evergreenenvious (09-15-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #276
AC2717

another great strolling area would be best, a u or l shapped building with Restaurants and boutiques would be awesome with some parking in the middle. That way you could keep the honkeytonk of the weirs and also give a little meredith type flavor. LIke a outdoor bistro, and at night a dueling piano bar and grill and then some shops

This would be awesome and a way to increase business in laconia and the weirs without a total redesign

how cool to get off the boat walk down the board walk and the beach across the street to something like that
Jonas Pilot (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #277
fatlazyless

Methinks it will probably just become a vacant commercial lot with a sign FOR SALE similar to the one across the road there......former home to Karl's Fine Food restaurant which burnt down maybe eight years ago. The new Malfunction Junction will have a very nice new roundabout with a decorative garden in the center that's tended by volunteer gardeners, and these two vacant commercial lots on either side of it .......nice! ....that location is very seasonal for most businesses .... but not all?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #278
evergreenenvious

Sad all that that family has been throw in the last few years, But they are Strong Good People and I am Positive they will keep moving forward and I hope they can rebuild something in the future
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #279
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreenenvious View Post
Sad all that that family has been throw in the last few years, But they are Strong Good People and I am Positive they will keep moving forward and I hope they can rebuild something in the future
OK, I give up.

What family are you talking about?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (09-18-2012), brk-lnt (09-17-2012), CGI3 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #280
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
OK, I give up.

Funny ................
Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #281
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
OK, I give up.

Ya really, I don't think anyone around here has ANY sympathy for the Baldi family. We have not nor will we revisit their drive-in or any other establishment owned by them.
nicole (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #282
RailroadJoe

Has the trash from the building been removed yet or is still lingeing ?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #283
AC2717

as of Sunday morning, the pile of rubble was still there
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #284
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
as of Sunday morning, the pile of rubble was still there
TODAY, at 5:45pm Tuesday 18 September 2012, the rubble has NOT BEEN TOUCHED, for a few days.
Somebody ought to make a "midnight" raid and make the sign fall down.
They must be doing that to spite everyone!
I get sick literally, as I drive by the sign.
I don't think the reported agreement has been followed: removing the rubble to an empty lot at the ground level, as I recall.

Another note: The roundabout traffic pattern is different, and an outline is taking shape. The temp traffic is partially on the burned Karl's sight.
Kinda interesting to observe the changes.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #285
fatlazyless

...yeah....tearing down the wide open saloon is nothing compared to the very recent roundabout road construction as the new roundabout starts to shape up.....after the wide open gets torn down....the smart money says it will remain a vacant lot for years and years just like at Karl's Fine Food empty lot......that area is very seasonal even with a new beautiful roundabout ....
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #286
Channel Pirate

Default New Traffic Circle

Would be a shame to have a nice new landscaped round about and have the owner of the vacant lot (Karl's) put the 8" chain link fence back up, looked like a prison yard. "CLEAN UP THE WEIRS" it's a tourist destination after all.

As far as that other eye sore in the neighborhood the building is still there, it's just not a structure anymore. Start the clock again 2 weeks ?
Channel Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #287
Sunset View

Quote:
I agree; I just hope it's in Mexico City!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #288
Winnisquamguy

Default Article from LDS

LACONIA — The City Council last night agreed that if the debris remaining from the demolition of the Wide Open Saloon at Weirs Beach has not been emoted from the site by October 1, City Manager Scott Myers should seek an order from Belknap County Superior Court authorizing the city to clear the site and place a lien on the property to recover its costs.
"What is sitting there is not a whole better than what was standing there," City Manager Scott Myers old the City Council last night. "I share your frustration and citizens' frustration, " he continued, adding that "I prefer it can worked out amicably."
Myers told the councilors that the agreement between the city and Brandi Baldi, the principal of 38 Endicott Street North, LLC, the owner of the property, stipulated that the demolition would be complete and the debris removed by September 12. He said that attorneys representing both parties have met, but there has been no sign of activity on the property.
On September 17, 2010 the building was severely damaged by fire. In the two years that followed its charred remains cast a pall over The Weirs while Baldi pursued various strands of litigation, including a suit against her insurance carrier. Ultimately the city and Baldi reached a settlement and earlier this month the building was finally knocked down.
As part of the settlement the city agreed that once the demolition is complete, the property owner will have one year to make a good faith effort, which could amount to filing a site plan or pulling a building permit, to rebuild on the same footprint, without being bound by changes in the zoning ordinance enacted since the original building was constructed.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...debris-remains
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #289
Resident 2B

When I was up for the weekend, I expected to see a clean lot. All I saw was a pile of burnt wood and other demolition debris. It was supposed to be cleared by September 12th.

What kind of people are these people? They seem to think they can ignore orders and agreements and do whatever they want, whenever they want. No excuse for the crap all of us with property in the area have had to put up with from these folks.

R2B
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #290
CL 240 LS

There was some activity at the domolition site this morning when I passed by. Looked like an excavator was picking at the the debris. Could not see if they were loading trucks as the pile was blocking the view.

There was also concrete workers at the new roundabout.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CL 240 LS For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #291
evergreenenvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Ya really, I don't think anyone around here has ANY sympathy for the Baldi family. We have not nor will we revisit their drive-in or any other establishment owned by them.
Well I do and I will continue to visit their Establishments.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #292
evergreenenvious

Quote:
I agree; I just hope it's in Mexico City!
why should they pick up and move their whole life and family, away from family and friends just to please a bunch of ignorant people. I hope they rebuild and are better than ever, give you something else to talk about
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #293
Resident 2B

Quote:
why should they pick up and move their whole life and family, away from family and friends just to please a bunch of ignorant people. I hope they rebuild and are better than ever, give you something else to talk about
I also hope they rebuild and I also hope what they rebuild looks nice and is a successful business. That said, I believe you are way out of touch with both reality and the majority of the people who live or own property and businesses near the Weirs. We have put up with that eyesore for two years. I feel all involved have given these folks way too much time to clean up this mess.

Good luck with your very small support group.

R2B
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (09-26-2012), idoso (09-26-2012), Jeanzb1 (09-26-2012), RailroadJoe (09-26-2012), Winnigirl (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #294
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Well I do and I will continue to visit their Establishments.
Evergreen from reading your posts, one can assume that in some way you are connected with the family and not just a concerned resident or tourist.

As to your reply to Sunset View I would say that YOU are by definition the ignorant one and in a minority of one supporting the Baldi clan.

While I believe this subject has been way over beaten to death on this forum the fact still remains that the owners have done everything they could to make the Weirs look worse then the eyesore it already is without the burned out building.
For you to support them can only mean that you are in some way connected to the family.
If you are connected then maybe you could ask them to throw a few dollars at that rat infested thing they call a drive-in theater!
Resident 2B (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #295
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
The ignorant one here has to be you thinking its okay to take more than 2 years to take a building down after losing every battle...They finally decide to tear it down only to leave a pile of rumble for a few more weeks. I hope the city's planning board puts them through the ringer when it comes time for them to finally rebuild.
Resident 2B (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #296
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
The ignorant one here has to be you thinking its okay to take more than 2 years to take a building down after losing every battle...They finally decide to tear it down only to leave a pile of rumble for a few more weeks. I hope the city's planning board puts them through the ringer when it comes time for them to finally rebuild.
The RUBBLE includes the silly unprofessional sign.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #297
Heaven

I am not involved in any way, but I could understand if there were a number of issues that most posters are not aware of that the Baldis needed to consider. There are a number of property right issues involved and it is the American way to allow the property owner to expend all available alternatives before having any of the value of their property diminished. It is not necessarily their fault that those processes took years. It is unfair to wish hardship on them (being screwed by the planning board for instance) for defending their property rights in (what appears to me) to be the available manner.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
evergreenenvious (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #298
fatlazyless

The new Weirs Beach roundabout is taking shape very quickly, and it already looks like a roundabout. I believe there's a couple, three different groups, locally, who all volunteered to do the roundabout center decorative garden, so's it should be very decent looking.

At the Meredith roundabout, there's no garden hose faucet installed inside the center spot, and the new Meredith decorative garden gets watered from a big plastic tank in the center, and that was looking under-watered back in August but seems to be doing better now what with all the September rains or something.

Wonder if the new Weirs roundabout construction will include a garden hose faucet?

If I was to make a bet......I'd say that the empty lot left after the wide open saloon's pile of debris gets removed will probably remain an empty vacant lot for the next five to ten years. Look at the gas station and convenience store that's nearby and directly located on the new roundabout......it is a seasonal gasoline station and it gets closed for many months of the year.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #299
evergreenenvious

a small garden in the center of the round about would be very nice.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #300
no-engine

Default Saloon site

Commuted thru that area between 5:15 and 5:45 today.

Any source of water needs design to drain and winterize. I'm not a gardener, but I think I recall the base of the Weirs roundabout center is formerly asphalt, not much base for a decent garden. They have to replace with nice topsoil & fertilizer, and constant maintenance in growing season - Start very soon. Research plants to grow in these conditions. Do watering at night with mobile tanks when traffic is reduced.

Yes, unfortunate the convenience store (Citgo) closes for winter about mid October. I much prefer to go there than Cumberland Farms for my gasoline! Oh well, it's local operator decision.

Observed back hoe and front loader moving around the saloon rubble, but I saw no method of trucking it off. Maybe a vehicle was off dumping, as I did not wait to see. At 5:30-ish, where would they be dumping that rubble?
It was looking kind of like a training operation for new young operators of the two pieces of well-used equipment!!! I looked but could not see a company name; remained in my vehicle on Lobster Pound property, only briefly.