Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #1
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default Daylight Savings Time

The Senate voted unanimously today to make DST permanent.

I'd actually like to take it one step further and shift the calendar so that the summer solstice is in, like, late August. 9 o'clock sunsets all summer!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #2
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The Senate voted unanimously today to make DST permanent.

I'd actually like to take it one step further and shift the calendar so that the summer solstice is in, like, late August. 9 o'clock sunsets all summer!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
What? Really? I am shocked, I never thought it would happen. Now to make it through the next steps. ????
tis is offline  
Old 03-15-2022, 05:43 PM   #3
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,428
Thanks: 999
Thanked 1,296 Times in 827 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The Senate voted unanimously today to make DST permanent.

I'd actually like to take it one step further and shift the calendar so that the summer solstice is in, like, late August. 9 o'clock sunsets all summer!
You're definitely Senator qualified, Think.
Descant is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 960
Thanked 807 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
What? Really? I am shocked, I never thought it would happen. Now to make it through the next steps. ????
Ed Markey has been pushing this for decades, very lonely until recently. Still has to go through the House, then Biden. But it's hard to see how it can miss from here. No word yet on Think's amendment
FlyingScot is online now  
Old 03-15-2022, 06:54 PM   #5
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Ed Markey has been pushing this for decades, very lonely until recently. Still has to go through the House, then Biden. But it's hard to see how it can miss from here. No word yet on Think's amendment
It HAS been lonely for years. I think Florida passed it a while ago and was waiting for approval from the feds. I don't know what happened with that. But I still will be surprised if the house passes it. I hope they do. I hate the time change. I guess I don't adapt well.
tis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
Boatbottom952
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 20
Thanks: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It HAS been lonely for years. I think Florida passed it a while ago and was waiting for approval from the feds. I don't know what happened with that. But I still will be surprised if the house passes it. I hope they do. I hate the time change. I guess I don't adapt well.
https://youtu.be/djU4Lq_5EaM
Boatbottom952 is offline  
Old 03-15-2022, 10:18 PM   #7
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,428
Thanks: 999
Thanked 1,296 Times in 827 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It HAS been lonely for years. I think Florida passed it a while ago and was waiting for approval from the feds. I don't know what happened with that. But I still will be surprised if the house passes it. I hope they do. I hate the time change. I guess I don't adapt well.
I think there was NH bill to do this a few years ago, contingent on Maine and Massachusetts doing it first. I don't care so much about summer, but it would be nice to have kids walk home from school in daylight. Oops. I forgot, kids don't walk to/from school anymore.
Descant is offline  
Old 03-15-2022, 10:50 PM   #8
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,464
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 2,250
Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,034 Posts
Default Time Zone Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think there was NH bill to do this a few years ago, contingent on Maine and Massachusetts doing it first. I don't care so much about summer, but it would be nice to have kids walk home from school in daylight. Oops. I forgot, kids don't walk to/from school anymore.
I think what was being proposed was changing from the Eastern Time Zone to the Atlantic Time Zone. Atlantic time zone is 1 hr ahead of Eastern Time Zone.

Same effect of DST all year round.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline  
Old 03-15-2022, 11:40 PM   #9
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 693
Thanks: 216
Thanked 214 Times in 126 Posts
Default

I remember in 2005 George Bush adjusted the time in which we would "fall back" in the fall, and "spring forward" in the spring. I think it was changed by two weeks (one week in the spring and one week in the fall).

I believe back then there was a three year notice and it actually took effect in 2008.

To me it's amazing of how the Feds suddenly feel about this 14 years later. Why didn't they bite the bullet and change it permanently back then?

By the way, I personally am all for the new proposed change for 2023. Let's hope these overpaid bureaucrats can agree on something and pull this off.
TheTimeTraveler is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 05:00 AM   #10
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post

To me it's amazing of how the Feds suddenly feel about this 14 years later. Why didn't they bite the bullet and change it permanently back then?
I don't think many people were paying attention to the mental and physical health aspects of it until these last few years. There're quite a few studies that show negative aspects to changing time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
LFOD
Member
 
LFOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 36
Thanks: 32
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Change by 30 minutes

As a person who enjoys getting up early but dislikes the effects of changing the clocks twice a year - What if we adjusted the time by 30 minutes, split the difference and be done with changing? Trying to think of what adverse issues this would cause, can't think of many. One possible one, we would be 1/2 hour off of from rest of world (i.e. 9:30 AM New York - 1 PM England). Thoughts?
LFOD is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to LFOD For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (04-03-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #12
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbottom952 View Post

That was funny.
tis is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #13
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD View Post
As a person who enjoys getting up early but dislikes the effects of changing the clocks twice a year - What if we adjusted the time by 30 minutes, split the difference and be done with changing? Trying to think of what adverse issues this would cause, can't think of many. One possible one, we would be 1/2 hour off of from rest of world (i.e. 9:30 AM New York - 1 PM England). Thoughts?
I think that's a great idea. I also get up early so don't like these dark mornings, but I also like it light at night. But do you honestly think government would compromise?????? However, I will deal with either to not have to change.
tis is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
LFOD (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:40 AM   #14
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,464
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 2,250
Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,034 Posts
Default Write your Congressional Folks

Great idea. Write to your senators and representatives and make that suggestion. They will take the ball from there and form four different committees to study the feasibility of making this change and spend 3.5 billion dollars to see it is feasible and if it is, see it implemented.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 09:08 AM   #15
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Great idea. Write to your senators and representatives and make that suggestion. They will take the ball from there and form four different committees to study the feasibility of making this change and spend 3.5 billion dollars to see it is feasible and if it is, see it implemented.

Dave
Exactly my thought! And then after another 50 years they might vote on it.
tis is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #16
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 495
Thanks: 104
Thanked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think there was NH bill to do this a few years ago, contingent on Maine and Massachusetts doing it first. I don't care so much about summer, but it would be nice to have kids walk home from school in daylight. Oops. I forgot, kids don't walk to/from school anymore.
I would be happy to see the clock stay the same all year. My preference is keep standard time as I like it to be light early, but I am guessing I am in the minority.

In school the days, even week, after the spring time change is brutal on the kids.
Garcia is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 09:31 AM   #17
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I would be happy to see the clock stay the same all year. My preference is keep standard time as I like it to be light early, but I am guessing I am in the minority.



In school the days, even week, after the spring time change is brutal on the kids.
The only concern I've ever really heard is that kids will be standing at the bus stop in the dark.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #18
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,855
Thanks: 69
Thanked 891 Times in 395 Posts
Default This has been tried before....

This has been tried before and failed.... miserably! Under Nixon. I don't think it made it a year before it daylight savings was restored!

Unfortunately (as usual) People forget history!

I see very few people on the east coast being happy with 8:30am sunrise!

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsy For This Useful Post:
BBS3 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #19
Merrymeeting
Senior Member
 
Merrymeeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Merrymeeting Lake, New Durham
Posts: 2,145
Thanks: 285
Thanked 762 Times in 345 Posts
Default

And then there's the whole issue that the title of this thread is incorrect.
Merrymeeting is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (04-03-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #20
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 535
Thanks: 46
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

The hours for school can change. My schools started at 8:15 and was let out at 3:15. Then sports in high school for an hour and half. But walked to school and got to high school any way possible. No school bus, city bus, long walk, hitch hike or ride with friends. Kids today are home from school at 2:00 or working at the local grocery store.

_______________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #21
GusMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Default Insanity

Of all the important issues facing us today...THIS is what our elected officials are spending their time (and our money) on?

Truly pathetic.
GusMan is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 02:51 PM   #22
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Of all the important issues facing us today...THIS is what our elected officials are spending their time (and our money) on?

Truly pathetic.
Right?! It's CRAZY that they multi-task when they should be focusing on one single issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-16-2022), Merrymeeting (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #23
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 960
Thanked 807 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
The hours for school can change. My schools started at 8:15 and was let out at 3:15. Then sports in high school for an hour and half. But walked to school and got to high school any way possible. No school bus, city bus, long walk, hitch hike or ride with friends. Kids today are home from school at 2:00 or working at the local grocery store.

_______________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
There's been a good bit of research done that shows that postponing school starts by an hour would put the day in better sync with body clocks, at least at the high school level. This would improve attention spans, etc. Maybe the move to Daylight time will help this effort along
FlyingScot is online now  
Old 03-16-2022, 06:32 PM   #24
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 296 Times in 246 Posts
Default

The problem with that would be the adjustment to the working world.
High school students have already been conditioned to believe that they should only be working during the day and weekends off.

But if all the stores and restaurants closed for the weekends, what would that look like? What if they only opened Monday to Friday 6am to 6pm?
John Mercier is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 07:27 PM   #25
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 960
Thanked 807 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The problem with that would be the adjustment to the working world.
High school students have already been conditioned to believe that they should only be working during the day and weekends off.

But if all the stores and restaurants closed for the weekends, what would that look like? What if they only opened Monday to Friday 6am to 6pm?
I'm not worried about that--most high schoolers are headed to college, where only Freshmen and "losers" take 9am classes...
FlyingScot is online now  
Old 03-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #26
Boatbottom952
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 20
Thanks: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Right?! It's CRAZY that they multi-task when they should be focusing on one single issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
How about focusing on out Southern Border. But no, they are discussing you bedtime. They waste money like it's printed everyday or something.
Boatbottom952 is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 08:15 PM   #27
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 296 Times in 246 Posts
Default

Well, If they all head off to college...
You won't have any labor for those stores and restaurants.

Be prepared for the price of labor to go up... and the price of goods/services to accelerate. It will be like when I worked in manufacturing with shift differentials and double time plus pay for weekend/holiday hours.
John Mercier is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #28
Crusty
Senior Member
 
Crusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus OH / Smiths Pt
Posts: 128
Thanks: 174
Thanked 158 Times in 57 Posts
Default The voice of reason...

It seems that while most people like to get more daylight later in the summer, they don't like that hour jump in March and September when we switch between EST and DST.

The solution is simple.

Instead of moving the clock ahead an hour every March, we should start advancing it by just 2 minutes per week in March and then start falling back 2 minutes per week in November. This will gradually lengthen the amount of daylight in the evening. The implementation is simple. Cell phones and Internet connected equipment will adjust automatically. Through frequent practice, people will finally be able to remember just how to set their watches and car clocks without finding the manuals. The clocks on the stove and microwave will continue to blink as usual.

Many communists and flat-earthers will disagree with my solution, but this is too important an issue to just "kick the can down the road".
Crusty is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 08:51 PM   #29
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 296 Times in 246 Posts
Default

They could make any of the clocks auto set based on radio signals.

The funny part... long haul truckers generally cross through several time zones... were in an instant they are an hour into the future or past... and they seem to do it without so much as a gripe.

I used to fly time zone to time zone, and never even really noticed it.
John Mercier is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #30
SailinAway
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 755
Thanks: 201
Thanked 229 Times in 134 Posts
Default

This question seems more important for people who have a very short day in the winter---New Hampshire, for example. Regardless of the time on the clock, the fact is (in my opinion) that the daylight hours are just too short in the winter for mental and physical health and getting things done. I find it hard to schedule outdoor exercise in the winter when the sun sets at 4:00. (I quit my gym, a.k.a. the Flu Factory, so my only exercise is outdoors.) Of course, millions of people north of us have it far worse.

The choices are to have the sun rise at 8:00 a.m. (actually 8:17 would be the latest sunrise in New Hampshire!) or set at 4:00 p.m. I can't stand the 4:00 sunset, but I would also hate an 8:17 sunrise. You wouldn't even be fully awake until 9:00.

However, psychologically, I think it's easier to get up at, say, 6:00 a.m. knowing that it's getting lighter and lighter even if the sun doesn't rise until 8:00 than it is to get to 3:00 p.m. and realize there's only one hour left in the day. So I vote for year-round daylight savings time because I find that extra hour at the end of the day more useful, though as a Northerner I find both choices onerous.

In Miami the shortest day is 10 hours 34 minutes. In New Hampshire it's 9 hours. Boy, that extra hour and a half would make a big difference psychologically and practically. The best solution would be to get the earth straight on its axis and flatten it down like a pancake so there would be no latitudinal differences in the length of the day or seasons. (People at the center of the disk could be cold, though.)
SailinAway is offline  
Old 03-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #31
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 960
Thanked 807 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Well, If they all head off to college...
You won't have any labor for those stores and restaurants.

Be prepared for the price of labor to go up... and the price of goods/services to accelerate. It will be like when I worked in manufacturing with shift differentials and double time plus pay for weekend/holiday hours.
With all due respect, I think you're kind of out on a limb here. I did not say anything about more kids going to college if this takes effect. i said most high schoolers in the US do go to college (already).
FlyingScot is online now  
Old 03-16-2022, 10:26 PM   #32
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 296 Times in 246 Posts
Default

And by applying labor to stores and restaurants... I was insinuating those that may not.

They're the ones that we are going to feel locally.

The college educated ones already felt the privilege of week day only schedules.
John Mercier is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 05:45 AM   #33
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The problem with that would be the adjustment to the working world.
High school students have already been conditioned to believe that they should only be working during the day and weekends off.

But if all the stores and restaurants closed for the weekends, what would that look like? What if they only opened Monday to Friday 6am to 6pm?
I agree. Ever since they started this nonsense about changing hours for the kids because they are too tired, it has aggravated me. Go to bed earlier so you can wake up in the morning!! What are all these kids going to do when they live in the real world and the world doesn't revolve around them?
tis is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:32 AM   #34
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree. Ever since they started this nonsense about changing hours for the kids because they are too tired, it has aggravated me. Go to bed earlier so you can wake up in the morning!! What are all these kids going to do when they live in the real world and the world doesn't revolve around them?
Literally almost every study shows that young people's circadian rhythms are different than really young and old people's. It's the reason why our grandparents would get up at 5 and our teens will sleep in until noon. There's no secret there.

Areas that have later start times for young people have improved academic scores, higher rates of attendance, better physical and mental health outcomes, reduced dependence in caffeine, fewer driving accidents...there's a multitude of benefits.

Besides, we're like totally talking about starting school at 8-9 AM, which is, like, EXACTLY the core starting time for "real jobs." Ya know, like the song says, "workin' 9-5, what a way to make a livin'!"

Oh, no—did I just slip into FLL for a moment there?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 08:01 AM   #35
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 605
Thanked 892 Times in 342 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Literally almost every study shows that young people's circadian rhythms are different than really young and old people's. It's the reason why our grandparents would get up at 5 and our teens will sleep in until noon. There's no secret there.

Areas that have later start times for young people have improved academic scores, higher rates of attendance, better physical and mental health outcomes, reduced dependence in caffeine, fewer driving accidents...there's a multitude of benefits.

Besides, we're like totally talking about starting school at 8-9 AM, which is, like, EXACTLY the core starting time for "real jobs." Ya know, like the song says, "workin' 9-5, what a way to make a livin'!"

Oh, no—did I just slip into FLL for a moment there?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Were these “peer reviewed” studies? Our grandparents got up at 5 because they had jobs and worked their butts off. Teenagers sleep until noon because they’re lazy and still have their umbilical cords plugged into their parents (who are mostly at fault because they enable this behavior). There must be some kind of “bias” label (excuse) for this problem, just like there’s a bias label (excuse) for everything else.
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), Charlie T (03-17-2022), pondguy (03-17-2022), Shreddy (03-18-2022), tis (03-17-2022), upthesaukee (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #36
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 869
Thanks: 74
Thanked 309 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
This has been tried before and failed.... miserably! Under Nixon. I don't think it made it a year before it daylight savings was restored!

Unfortunately (as usual) People forget history!

I see very few people on the east coast being happy with 8:30am sunrise!

Woodsy
Isn’t the saying “Those who forget history are doomed to relive it”? Guess this is a perfect example.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #37
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,464
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 2,250
Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,034 Posts
Default I must be really old (I am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Literally almost every study shows that young people's circadian rhythms are different than really young and old people's. It's the reason why our grandparents would get up at 5 and our teens will sleep in until noon. There's no secret there.

Areas that have later start times for young people have improved academic scores, higher rates of attendance, better physical and mental health outcomes, reduced dependence in caffeine, fewer driving accidents...there's a multitude of benefits.

Besides, we're like totally talking about starting school at 8-9 AM, which is, like, EXACTLY the core starting time for "real jobs." Ya know, like the song says, "workin' 9-5, what a way to make a livin'!"

Oh, no—did I just slip into FLL for a moment there?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I must be really old (I am). I grew up in a household that had two parents working and me, the only child, going to school. We had one bathroom. I was always third for the bathroom. So I got up early so I could have my breakfast while waiting for Mom and Dad to finish their turn in the bathroom. Of course in the winter time, if it snowed, I became the snow removal company. That had to be done before I headed off to school. School started at 8, and I walked little over a quarter of a mile to catch the bus at around 7:15 in the morning.

In the summer, I still got up early because my friends and I would be packing up to go on a ride on our bicycles to spend the day fishing or exploring. In the summertime growing up, if you wanted to watch television at 9:30 in the morning, you got to watch a very interesting test pattern, because that's all that was on.

If you want the kids to have a more normal life pattern, kick them out of bed early, have them make their own breakfast, put limits on when television can be on, limits on the cell phones and the iPad or tablets, and send them outside to get fresh air and join in activities with their friends and Neighbors.

My humble opinion, is that parents today have allowed kids' "rhythms" to get so far out of whack. Your opinion probably will vary.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), SAB1 (03-17-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-17-2022), tis (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 08:42 AM   #38
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Were these “peer reviewed” studies? Our grandparents got up at 5 because they had jobs and worked their butts off. Teenagers sleep until noon because they’re lazy and still have their umbilical cords plugged into their parents (who are mostly at fault because they enable this behavior). There must be some kind of “bias” label (excuse) for this problem, just like there’s a bias label (excuse) for everything else.
You're ridiculous and out of touch.

What jobs start at 6 (assuming a wake time of 5)? Among the earliest of careers, construction, can't even start until 7.

I'm up the earliest of ALL my friends at 5 and not a one besides my teacher and construction friends is at work before 8.

And to say teenagers are lazy is just plain ignorant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-17-2022), Witch One (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #39
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

This is just a screenshot, but for anyone who wants to learn more a quick Google search will find what you need—there's a lot of science behind changing circadian rhythms.



Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #40
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 495
Thanks: 104
Thanked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Were these “peer reviewed” studies? Our grandparents got up at 5 because they had jobs and worked their butts off. Teenagers sleep until noon because they’re lazy and still have their umbilical cords plugged into their parents (who are mostly at fault because they enable this behavior). There must be some kind of “bias” label (excuse) for this problem, just like there’s a bias label (excuse) for everything else.
Yes, peer reviewed, science based studies on this topic have been around for quite a while.

As to eliminating daylight saving time, sleep experts advocate for standard time year round, https://sleepeducation.org/resources...t-saving-time/.
Garcia is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #41
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 605
Thanked 892 Times in 342 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You're ridiculous and out of touch.

What jobs start at 6 (assuming a wake time of 5)? Among the earliest of careers, construction, can't even start until 7.

I'm up the earliest of ALL my friends at 5 and not a one besides my teacher and construction friends is at work before 8.

And to say teenagers are lazy is just plain ignorant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well, aren't you the kinder / gentler liberal. I'm ridiculous, out of touch and ignorant. Nice job!
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), Charlie T (03-17-2022), DEJ (03-17-2022), SPT13 (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:28 AM   #42
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 2,505
Thanks: 491
Thanked 1,902 Times in 776 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

What jobs start at 6 (assuming a wake time of 5)? Among the earliest of careers, construction, can't even start until 7.

I'm up the earliest of ALL my friends at 5 and not a one besides my teacher and construction friends is at work before 8.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
There are a lot of jobs that are not 9 to 5. Police Officer, Firefighter, truck driver, nurse, factory shift work, news reporter, Etc. The list is endless. Go out on the interstate any morning at 4 or 5 AM. Look at the traffic. These people are not all going on vacation.

I drove trucks over one million miles when I was in my 20's and 30's and worked between 58 and 60 hours per week at that job. Most start times were between 4 AM and 6 AM. If you had a later start time you felt like you were sleeping in. I had a second job on weekends.

When I was in school, from the 7th grade on, I had a morning paper route that I had to deliver before I showered and went to school. In 7th grade due to a school building project we had double sessions and the school day started at 7 AM.

Some people don't know how good they have it and their parents are doing them no favors by allowing them to be lazy. Much of the published information is written by people who never lived in the real world, they just went to college, got a bunch of degrees, and then made a career out of writing papers on how other people should live their lives.

It has been said that 70% of all psychiatrists are under the treatment of other psychiatrists. Sometimes too much time in school can be a bad thing.

https://www.spiritualresearchfoundat...ental-illness/
TiltonBB is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-17-2022), SPT13 (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #43
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,428
Thanks: 999
Thanked 1,296 Times in 827 Posts
Default What jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You're ridiculous and out of touch.

What jobs start at 6 (assuming a wake time of 5)? Among the earliest of careers, construction, can't even start until 7.

I'm up the earliest of ALL my friends at 5 and not a one besides my teacher and construction friends is at work before 8.
Out of touch? What jobs? Look around. What tr5ime do bus drivers start their day? Hospital, Fire, Police have been working all night. Listen to the radio on the way to work? What time did those folks start? Or the guy at Dunkins? Anybody who is in the military is working 24/7 so you can sleep peacefully. I grew up in the flower business--The Boston Flower Exchange opened at 6:00 am until noon and the vendors were there before and after those hours. We can all think of dozens of jobs where people are working before 8:00 am and keeping your world running.
Descant is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-17-2022), TiltonBB (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #44
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 960
Thanked 807 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Out of touch? What jobs? Look around. What tr5ime do bus drivers start their day? Hospital, Fire, Police have been working all night. Listen to the radio on the way to work? What time did those folks start? Or the guy at Dunkins? Anybody who is in the military is working 24/7 so you can sleep peacefully. I grew up in the flower business--The Boston Flower Exchange opened at 6:00 am until noon and the vendors were there before and after those hours. We can all think of dozens of jobs where people are working before 8:00 am and keeping your world running.
This pushback against teens and circadian rhythms is all kind of weird and arguing about nothing, some sort of funny identity politics. Especially since it starts with a request for peer reviewed studies...and then won't accept peer reviewed studies...even before those studies are read by those complaining.

Descant's post and mine are in agreement--there is no standard wake up time, whether it's for college or Dunks. Given that, some sound like old men reminiscing about walking uphill to school each morning, and then walking uphill to get back home
FlyingScot is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Descant (03-17-2022), Witch One (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 11:59 AM   #45
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 522
Thanks: 489
Thanked 295 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Well, aren't you the kinder / gentler liberal. I'm ridiculous, out of touch and ignorant. Nice job!
I am surprised you were not called a deplorable.
DEJ is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), codeman671 (03-17-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 12:19 PM   #46
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 495
Thanks: 104
Thanked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I am surprised you were not called a deplorable.
Only half of the former President's supporters fell into the basket of deplorables - I am sure no one on this forum falls in to that racist, xenophobic, sexist, etc. half!

Seriously, my feeling is that from a Lakes Region/tourist perspective permanent daylight saving time is best. Regardless of the season, more light at the end of the day would benefit the tourist/vacationing crowd.
Garcia is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-17-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #47
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Out of touch? What jobs? Look around. What tr5ime do bus drivers start their day? Hospital, Fire, Police have been working all night. Listen to the radio on the way to work? What time did those folks start? Or the guy at Dunkins? Anybody who is in the military is working 24/7 so you can sleep peacefully. I grew up in the flower business--The Boston Flower Exchange opened at 6:00 am until noon and the vendors were there before and after those hours. We can all think of dozens of jobs where people are working before 8:00 am and keeping your world running.
Other than "off-shifts," the world is 8/9-5. And, if you're going to base the argument on wake time, neither second nor third shift are up before 8!

I drive Route 3 EVERY DAY at 5:30-6 AM, and it's clear sailing. By 7, when people are commuting in for their 8/9-5s, it starts to back up. At 7PM-5AM it's essentially zero—I saw this for years working overnights and night school.

The point I was making is that students wouldn't be at all weird getting up at 7/8 for a school start of 8/9.

And (almost) all (I've not read EVERY piece) research shows myriad benefits of that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #48
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Well, aren't you the kinder / gentler liberal. I'm ridiculous, out of touch and ignorant. Nice job!
Yeah, it was aggressive, but to call all teenagers lazy and then question what is clearly documented after posting Breitbart articles?! C'mon, now.

Your standard defense to posting clearly biased articles is to make fun of being called out for posting clearly biased articles, not unlike DEJ above, rather than addressing the topic.

Point out how the science is wrong, and let's discuss.

Calling all my students lazy, though? I'm gonna call you out for ignorance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #49
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 522
Thanks: 489
Thanked 295 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Thank you think, you just cannot resist, typical.
DEJ is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 02:02 PM   #50
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 605
Thanked 892 Times in 342 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Yeah, it was aggressive, but to call all teenagers lazy and then question what is clearly documented after posting Breitbart articles?! C'mon, now.

Your standard defense to posting clearly biased articles is to make fun of being called out for posting clearly biased articles, not unlike DEJ above, rather than addressing the topic.

Point out how the science is wrong, and let's discuss.

Calling all my students lazy, though? I'm gonna call you out for ignorance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
See, the problem is, things are bias in your mind. Not everyone thinks they're bias, otherwise the platform would have no support and would disolve. I've said before that conservatives attack opposing ideas, but liberals attack their opposition with personal attacks. My skin is very thick, so I have no problem with it.
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), Charlie T (03-17-2022), DEJ (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:05 PM   #51
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 605
Thanked 892 Times in 342 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I am surprised you were not called a deplorable.
I just looked in the mirror and called myself one. Felt great actually!
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #52
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
See, the problem is, things are bias in your mind. Not everyone thinks they're bias, otherwise the platform would have no support and would disolve. I've said before that conservatives attack opposing ideas, but liberals attack their opposition with personal attacks. My skin is very thick, so I have no problem with it.
Bias and attacks? We're talking about published scientific research that shows benefits to later start times and you're criticizing a whole population of Americans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #53
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Thank you think, you just cannot resist, typical.
Hahahaha! I keep checking my inbox for your attack message. Sad face.

Y'all are just upset that there's somebody to call you out on your old-guy-these-kids-must-be-lazy-for-my-narrative-to-work bunk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #54
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 605
Thanked 892 Times in 342 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hahahaha! I keep checking my inbox for your attack message. Sad face.

Y'all are just upset that there's somebody to call you out on your old-guy-these-kids-must-be-lazy-for-my-narrative-to-work bunk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
What's this "Called You Out" nonsense? You always give the impression that you're right, everyone else is wrong, and that your word is gospel. FAKE NEWS!
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), Charlie T (03-17-2022), DEJ (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #55
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 522
Thanks: 489
Thanked 295 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hahahaha! I keep checking my inbox for your attack message. Sad face.

Y'all are just upset that there's somebody to call you out on your old-guy-these-kids-must-be-lazy-for-my-narrative-to-work bunk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yup true to form, thanks think.
DEJ is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:01 PM   #56
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 522
Thanks: 489
Thanked 295 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
What's this "Called You Out" nonsense? You always give the impression that you're right, everyone else is wrong, and that your word is gospel. FAKE NEWS!
You should know by now think is always right, LOL.
DEJ is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #57
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 522
Thanks: 489
Thanked 295 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Bias and attacks? We're talking about published scientific research that shows benefits to later start times and you're criticizing a whole population of Americans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
And you basically without actually doing so called seaplane pilot a deplorable, nice, real nice.
DEJ is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #58
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
What's this "Called You Out" nonsense? You always give the impression that you're right, everyone else is wrong, and that your word is gospel. FAKE NEWS!
This is circular. When I make comments, they're based on reasoning using data and science and information from as bias-free-as-possible sources. From there, I expect to have discussions with others who see different solutions.

You, as I AND OTHERS have pointed out, use clearly biased foundations on which to make your comments.

So, here goes (again): DST changes are leading to talks about later school start times that unbiased, reliable data has shown to be beneficial.

Secondarily, are teens becoming lazy? Not the ones I work with and know. But they are spending more time on activities, sports, and "chosen" jobs in an attempt to improve their college acceptance/scholarship opportunities rather than just outright work tons of hours at all hours.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:12 PM   #59
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 522
Thanks: 489
Thanked 295 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
This is circular. When I make comments, they're based on reasoning using data and science and information from as bias-free-as-possible sources. From there, I expect to have discussions with others who see different solutions.

You, as I AND OTHERS have pointed out, use clearly biased foundations on which to make your comments.

So, here goes (again): DST changes are leading to talks about later school start times that unbiased, reliable data has shown to be beneficial.

Secondarily, are teens becoming lazy? Not the ones I work with and know. But they are spending more time on activities, sports, and "chosen" jobs in an attempt to improve their college acceptance/scholarship opportunities rather than just outright work tons of hours at all hours.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
When you make comments against what you do not agree with you most always throw in a personal attack, that is my main issue with you and liberals in general. Your way or the highway. Carry on, much more important things in life. Out, have the last word if you must.
DEJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-17-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 03:18 PM   #60
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
When you make comments against what you do not agree with you most always throw in a personal attack, that is my main issue with you and liberals in general. Your way or the highway. Carry on, much more important things in life. Out, have the last word if you must.
So passive-aggression is not a personal attack? Gotcha.

SP's quip about "peer-reviewed" (that Garcia corrected him on) was exactly that.

And who's politicizing this but you?

Any thoughts on start times or DST changes?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #61
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 522
Thanks: 489
Thanked 295 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
So passive-aggression is not a personal attack? Gotcha.

SP's quip about "peer-reviewed" (that Garcia corrected him on) was exactly that.

And who's politicizing this but you?

Any thoughts on start times or DST changes?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You win, happy now?
DEJ is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #62
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 960
Thanked 807 Times in 492 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

Secondarily, are teens becoming lazy? Not the ones I work with and know. But they are spending more time on activities, sports, and "chosen" jobs in an attempt to improve their college acceptance/scholarship opportunities rather than just outright work tons of hours at all hours.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
No question that today's teens are under much more pressure than older Americans were. Stagnant wages, increased college tuition, increased real estate costs, increased competitiveness at many colleges, covid, anxiety-inducing social apps...

Except for those who faced the Vietnam draft, or grew up in poverty or an especially difficult home; we had a walk in the park
FlyingScot is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-17-2022), upthesaukee (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #63
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
No question that today's teens are under much more pressure than older Americans were. Stagnant wages, increased college tuition, increased real estate costs, increased competitiveness at many colleges, covid, anxiety-inducing social apps...

Except for those who faced the Vietnam draft, or grew up in poverty or an especially difficult home; we had a walk in the park
I think of this often when I compare what I paid at UML vs. what the costs are now—almost quadruple...with wages increasing barely at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #64
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 296 Times in 246 Posts
Default

It is just going to be very expensive for patrons when a business has to pay the premium for life balance that the patrons are requesting.

The worker is expecting the same full-size luxury auto/truck that the patrons are driving, the same weekend of boating/snowmobiling, and the same vacation home.

It isn't a matter of lazy... it is a matter of what they are being taught by the world around them.
John Mercier is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #65
Boatbottom952
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 20
Thanks: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
So passive-aggression is not a personal attack? Gotcha.

SP's quip about "peer-reviewed" (that Garcia corrected him on) was exactly that.

And who's politicizing this but you?

Any thoughts on start times or DST changes?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I sure hope you didn't snap your fingers when you said " Gotcha "
Boatbottom952 is offline  
Old 03-18-2022, 04:44 AM   #66
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,220
Thanks: 1,104
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbottom952 View Post
I sure hope you didn't snap your fingers when you said " Gotcha "
My sausage link fingers don't snap, so it's an impossibility, but thanks for the laugh!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #67
Bizer
Senior Member
 
Bizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 329
Thanks: 0
Thanked 239 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
This has been tried before and failed.... miserably! Under Nixon. I don't think it made it a year before it daylight savings was restored!

Unfortunately (as usual) People forget history!

I see very few people on the east coast being happy with 8:30am sunrise!

Woodsy
Those that do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. (I should know. I took it three times). Congress tried permanent DST 1974. Doesn’t anyone else remember that? Year ‘round DST was repealed by the end of the year, just as Woodsy said. The primary reason was that children would be walking to school in total darkness.

The people on the east coast are one thing, it's the people who live on the western side of the time zones that have more to lose. Here are some DST January sunrise times in selected cities:
09:01 Detroit;
09:05 Indianapolis;
09:32 Marquette MI
08:51 Minneapolis, MN
09:12 Fargo, ND
09:35 Minot, ND
09:44 Williston, ND << Winner
08:45 Salt Lake City
09:18 Boise, ID
09:27 Kalispell, MT
08:57 Seattle

Year 'round DST is not the panacea you think it is.
Bizer is offline  
Old 03-18-2022, 06:49 AM   #68
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 495
Thanks: 104
Thanked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
Those that do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. (I should know. I took it three times). Congress tried permanent DST 1974. Doesn’t anyone else remember that? Year ‘round DST was repealed by the end of the year, just as Woodsy said. The primary reason was that children would be walking to school in total darkness.

The people on the east coast are one thing, it's the people who live on the western side of the time zones that have more to lose. Here are some DST January sunrise times in selected cities:
09:01 Detroit;
09:05 Indianapolis;
09:32 Marquette MI
08:51 Minneapolis, MN
09:12 Fargo, ND
09:35 Minot, ND
09:44 Williston, ND << Winner
08:45 Salt Lake City
09:18 Boise, ID
09:27 Kalispell, MT
08:57 Seattle

Year 'round DST is not the panacea you think it is.
So let’s go with year round standard time.
Garcia is offline  
Old 03-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #69
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 282
Thanks: 4
Thanked 58 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Just throwing this out there too. I just read since this started in the news that Russia also tried to do away with it sometime in the early 2000s (maybe slightly later) and also went back to the way it was.
So, we have tried it and failed and Russia has tried it and failed.

Maybe it will be different this time to do the same things that fail?
chachee52 is offline  
Old 03-18-2022, 07:46 AM   #70
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

People talk about how hard it is for the kids today. I don't think it was any easier for us. Costs were less, (including college, Think) but so was pay. Wages are NOT the same. I truly think it is all RELATIVE!!! When we were young we never thought of cell phones, cable tv, going out to dinner, picking up coffee, etc. That all adds up. It was a different world for us than it is today. There is also a lot more government help today than there was.

I think the half hour split would be perfect for the time change. But of course as was said, it would take government another 20 years......
tis is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (03-18-2022)
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.35441 seconds