Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
LakeTimes

Default Boat Show Pricing

Not sure if anyone has been to the boat show and seen the pricing on the boats. My general question is are those actually really good prices and much better prices than you could get at the dealer any given day? Are the manufacturers kicking in extra rebates for the boat show that are not otherwise generally available?

For example: New Charparral 257 SSX - Retail Price: $121,856 and has a boat show price of $87,882.

I'm still doing research and not ready to say to 'pull a trigger' as I'm comparing the Cobalts, Sea Ray, Charparral, Four Winns, Regals etc. etc. in the 24' and 26' (Of course newer used and brand new).

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated!
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
MeredithMan

Default Generally pretty good pricing....

Based on my experience last year, the boat show price is a pretty good price. Another forum member provided me this link last year to get a sense of dealer cost vs price, so you can determine how good your potential deal is.

http://www.seedealercost.com/boats

Good luck!
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Ms Molly McKever

Default Charparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
Not sure if anyone has been to the boat show and seen the pricing on the boats. My general question is are those actually really good prices and much better prices than you could get at the dealer any given day? Are the manufacturers kicking in extra rebates for the boat show that are not otherwise generally available?

For example: New Charparral 257 SSX - Retail Price: $121,856 and has a boat show price of $87,882.

I'm still doing research and not ready to say to 'pull a trigger' as I'm comparing the Cobalts, Sea Ray, Charparral, Four Winns, Regals etc. etc. in the 24' and 26' (Of course newer used and brand new).

Just looking at Fay's web page. They have 2016 307 SSX new left over. Check the pricing. It a year old maybe good deal. Good Luck
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
8gv

I used the dealer cost link to check out what replacing my boat might cost.

This prompts me to say thank you to all of those who buy new boats and take the huge depreciation hit. I've been there and done that but am now happy to get more boat for less money by buying used.

Also, for anyone looking at boat capacity specs, look at the USCG placcard on the boat. That is what the MP will look at when your boat is loaded up with people.

The specs on my Sea Ray for my boat say 12 people. On my boat, the placcard says 10.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
DesertDweller

Generally speaking, yes the boat show prices are pretty good. Also, as you mentioned, there are often rebates offered by the manufacturers this time of year (like "free" extended warranties, cash back, etc.). Depending on the dealer, the boat shows can represent a significant portion of their total sales for the year and it's not cheap for them to go to the shows so they are motivated to do deals. Also, you have the opportunity to play dealers/manufacturers off each other if you are not set on a particular brand. Another good way/time to buy a boat would be toward the end of the season and on a boat that is on the dealer's lot. The last thing they will want to do is sit on it for the winter. The major drawback to this is that you won't get much if any use of it and then it's a model year old when you really start using it versus the boat show where you can spec something out exactly the way you want it and it will be ready sometime in the spring.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
OTF

I have never bought new. Howeber, I have bought used a few times. If you have the money to spend, buy new. Buying new gives you that all important warrentee that starts on day one.

Regarding Coast Guard capacity plates, you should always go by the stated maxium poundage not the stated number of people. This was confirmed to me by the a call to the local Coast Guard station.
OTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
TheProfessor

I purchase my flat bed utility trailer at the boat show. Manufacturer's rep was there. Best price and added optional spare tire at no cost.
Purchase was thru a dealer and boat show price accepted at dealer.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Buying at show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post

Welcome to the Forum.

There is also a NH boat show a little later in the spring. Not as big as the NE show in Boston, but many NH dealers who can't or won't pay the Boston prices for floor space will be there.
http://www.greatnortheastboatshow.com/
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
LakeTimes

Thank you for all your info, and appreciate the links. Just joined the forum as I'll be 'newish' to the lake this year. Look forward to contributing!
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
ThePlut

Default Yes, sometimes

I work for a boat dealer from time to time, mostly the boat shows. The answer is yes and no and it depends on the dealer. Dealer's pay a large sum of money to bring their boats down and put them in the show, most are VERY motivated to write boats at a show. Some shows in the past, and some manufacturers offer rebate money that is only good during the show. That amount varies, and the method to obtain that varies by dealer. One customer this past weekend told me about dealer at Boston show who was offering no discounts and no rebates on a new model.

The boats we write at the show are all "subject to water test" meaning that we want to demo you in the boat prior to running the deposit (and if there's open water somewhere, we'll demo you. But we do want to get that done so we can guarantee your boat for the build and time you want it) and formally putting the build in the build slot. So there is zero risk to writing the deal, taking the demo, and if you don't like it, we tear up the contract. Make sure you get the same assurance from any dealer you are working with at a boat show.

But, that is a way to get the absolutely best pricing.

But again, I only really know about the one dealer.

Good luck and have fun!
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

We were told by a couple dealers that boat companies have changed their expectations and, in order to keep the factories working consistently, require dealers to order a certain number of units quarterly--this means that discounts can be had at different times of the year, depending on where the dealer is at. We feel we did very well buying/ordering at the end of the season these last two times.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote