Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
chasedawg

Default sailboat sank Sunday

I was told by a rescue official that the winds were so strong on Sunday that they had to respond to an emergency at the entrance of Winter Harbor where a sailboat sank in 40 feet of water. Has anyone heard anything about this sinking?

He also said there were several other sailboats that ran into trouble.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
ApS

Arrow This Sailor Wasn't Going "Out-There", But...

The winds on Winter Harbor yesterday weren't all that bad; plus, modern small sailboats have flotation to keep them from sinking out of sight.

Between the markers, the entrance to Winter Harbor is only about 20' deep: at Ice-Out, you can see features on the bottom. BUT...Winter Harbor's entrance gets a full-blast of whatever's on the Broads.

In the middle of Winter Harbor, I did see a ~20-foot sailboat—yellow and white—that should have turned back.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

We saw the MP and the Wolfeboro Fire and Rescue Boat go into the dock at a place across from us. There was an ambulance at the Libby Museum at the same time. Wonder if that was the same incident?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
FlyingScot

I "sailed" Melvin Bay yesterday in a 19' Flying Scot (centerboard daysailer).

Yipes! We turned back after about 15 minutes. Big shifting wind combined with lots of cross chop. Just not safe. Water coming over the bow on the return.

FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Default More info and some speculation

A buddy of mine is on Tuftonboro Fire and Rescue, he was on backup duty, but the main rescue boat did not need backup. He reports that it was a 17' sailboat that sank completely out of sight. Captain reported that he was turning around after catching a glimpse of the Broads. When he was broadside to the wind his sail caught in the water and that was the end. Another recreational boat picked them up before MP arrived.

A bit of rampant speculation: As ApS points out, boats don't sink. Also, he had to have a very long boom to catch the water before taking in water over the side. So my guess is that he was in an old catboat--old enough for the flotation system to be inoperable for one reason or another, and a catboat to explain how the boom was long enough to catch the water first.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
tis

So did you hear if they got the boat out, Peter? Did it go to the bottom?
Old 08-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
ApS

Cool Flying Scot—A Fast, Stable, Lake-Worthy Sailboat...

Tis, From the surface, I'd expect to be able to see it on the bottom—provided it hadn't drifted any distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
A buddy of mine is on Tuftonboro Fire and Rescue, he was on backup duty, but the main rescue boat did not need backup. He reports that it was a 17' sailboat that sank completely out of sight. Captain reported that he was turning around after catching a glimpse of the Broads. When he was broadside to the wind his sail caught in the water and that was the end. Another recreational boat picked them up before MP arrived. A bit of rampant speculation: As ApS points out, boats don't sink. Also, he had to have a very long boom to catch the water before taking in water over the side.

So my guess is that he was in an old catboat--
old enough for the flotation system to be inoperable for one reason or another, and a catboat to explain how the boom was long enough to catch the water first.
I did see a gaff-rigged sailboat—Saturday. When I saw that Winnipesaukee rarity (traditional white sails) she was a mile away, so I couldn't take a close look at its length. In those waves, a long boom would definitely contribute to a capsize when turning for home.

'Tis a shame to stress that old sailboat in Sunday's winds.

Last edited by ApS; 08-08-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Drifted along the bottom...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
FlyingScot

tis, they did not get the boat out on Sunday--they could not even see it. The rescue team said it was as if the boat just disappeared. I do not know if they've been able to raise it since then. If it has not yet been raised, I'd assume it's visible now, at about 30'.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
tis

I am surprised you haven't checked it out yet, APS. I might try to tomorrow. Thanks for the info, Peter.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
ApS

Wink Name: Hesperus?

IF I'd wanted to go out in that drizzle and thunder , I'd have preferred to take those risks by raising those beer cans I'd mentioned earlier.

Based on the wind patterns since then, I'll be looking along Winter Harbor's NE-facing shorelines for wooden boat parts. Unless the skipper has claimed his boat for insurance, he'd want them returned. Carry Beach should already have some interesting "flotsam".

OTOH, an abandoned boat would be a magnet for snorkelers or divers; that is, if the "wreck" is far away from Winter Harbor's ever-bustling entrance.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #11
Senter Cove Guy

Default Sailboat On The Bottom

Here's a side scan of it from this morning.
About 58 feet deep.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #12
ApS

Question Winnipesaukee's "Gold Ghost"...

I've done a little "side-scan" of my own.

Not surprised to see it standing upright: still, at 58', it's not likely a snorkeler could see the top of the mast—this time of year.

The other "lumps" are boulders?
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
Pineedles

ApS. That side scan you posted was not your own. It was Senter Cove Guy's, turned around. Please don't try and suggest that you created this one by saying you have done some side scans. Or am I being too picky?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #14
Senter Cove Guy

Default She's Up

The sailboat was recovered this morning. After being brought to the surface, it was pumped out and towed back to its owner.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #15
kawishiwi

Default You need to chill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
ApS. That side scan you posted was not your own. It was Senter Cove Guy's, turned around. Please don't try and suggest that you created this one by saying you have done some side scans. Or am I being too picky?
Way too picky...read the post again.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #16
ApS

Exclamation Uncovered: A Lurking Creature More Ominous than "Winni"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Risking xenophobia, I couldn't overlook the Alien rising through Lake Winnipesaukee's lowest threshold.

Having greater mass than us puny humans, the Alien may have contributed to the "gravity" of the situation. IDK...
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Senter Cove Guy

Default Sailboat Recovery Video

I thought that I posted this video of the sailboat recovery awhile ago but can't seem to find it.

Skip to the 3:00 mark to save time.

http://youtu.be/GPslXQJOWXk
Old 12-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Thanks, SCG--really cool
Old 12-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
fatlazyless

... isn't that sunk boat an old wood 17' Cat sailboat with a heavy keel beneath it .....like maybe a 1923 Crosby Cat, made in Cotuit, Mass.

....for want of two monster foam noodles ..... available at Walmart in three colors .....green, blue, or red ..... on super sale at 2/$6 ..... that have sooooo much floatation.....just two monster foam noodles.....one lashed to the port thwart .....and one to starboard ....and the old Cat sailboat would never have sunk ..... don't u know .... plus there would be no super duper expensive retrieval fee.....to fetch it up from the deep.... just two monster Walmart noodles ...... hindsight is so totally 20-20 ...... boo-hoo-hoo

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-09-2017 at 05:17 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #20
AC2717

So I have a question about the recovery

Once the air bag floats up to the surface the hull is still underwater. What are the next few steps to get the hull above the service floating again?

thank you
Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #21
fatlazyless

They fill the old wood hull with enough foam monster noodles, maybe six fat noodles, to keep it stable, and above water, and start bailing out the water with a blue $2.69 Walmart, 5-gal bucket .... 5-gallons water weighs 40-lbs ..... so, every bucket full of water removes 40-lbs weight ..... much faster than many small electric pumps ...... Walmart to the rescue! Ya know......this would really get it done on the cheap. Then, tow it to a trailer on a boat launch ramp, or if available, to a boat lift. And, start thinking about installing some flotation.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #22
Senter Cove Guy

Default Great Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
So I have a question about the recovery

Once the air bag floats up to the surface the hull is still underwater. What are the next few steps to get the hull above the service floating again?

thank you
A single airbag was used to float the sailboat to the surface from 58 feet deep. Once on the surface, additional airbags were tied to each side of the stern. This still did not float the gunnels above the water so a fourth airbag was inflated inside the small cabin of the sailboat. This brought the gunnels above the water and a small gas powered pump was used to easily bailout the water allowing the sailboat to float. The sailboat was then towed back to the owners dock.

All three of the snowmobiles that were also recovered last summer were floated to the surface using the same front/rear airbag arrangement, however, once on the surface, the sleds were towed to shore, put on a trailer and removed. The sleds were recovered from 93 feet, 78 feet and 68 feet depths.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #23
C-Bass

How much does something like that cost. I imagine insurance would cover some or all of it.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
A single airbag was used to float the sailboat to the surface from 58 feet deep. Once on the surface, additional airbags were tied to each side of the stern. This still did not float the gunnels above the water so a fourth airbag was inflated inside the small cabin of the sailboat. This brought the gunnels above the water and a small gas powered pump was used to easily bailout the water allowing the sailboat to float. The sailboat was then towed back to the owners dock.

All three of the snowmobiles that were also recovered last summer were floated to the surface using the same front/rear airbag arrangement, however, once on the surface, the sleds were towed to shore, put on a trailer and removed. The sleds were recovered from 93 feet, 78 feet and 68 feet depths.
Are the snowmobiles you’re referring to the ones where the people perished in the lake? Just thinking about how tragic that was was and hoping riders are more careful this ice season...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Talk'n 'bout drown'n while snomo'n cross a froz'n lake: here's an el cheapo swimmer's/pfd belt that really works and is also light weight and easy to wear.

All you need is a thin foam swimmer's noodle that has a hole running down through the length of the noodle, and thread a 3/8 or 1/2" sturdy line down through it to make yourself a swimmer's belt/pfd. Tie it off somewhat tight with a square knot, around your waist, and under your outer coat.

Should you have the bad luck to crash through the ice, just knowing you have flotation will dramatically increase your safety, because it will make you much less likely to panic, and panic is a big factor for drowning to happen. Plus, it will keep your head above water which of course makes all the difference.

People can stay alive in 34-degree water, over their head depth, for 90-minutes, and survive after they get thawed out, which is a painful thawing process similar to having frozen hands ..... just don't panic.

Carrying a loud whistle is good, too.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #26
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post

thank you for the info, wondered how gunnels got above the water line in order to bail it out
Old 12-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #27
Senter Cove Guy

Default Snowmobile Recoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Are the snowmobiles you’re referring to the ones where the people perished in the lake? Just thinking about how tragic that was was and hoping riders are more careful this ice season...
Two of the sleds were the ones that went down off the southern tip of Rattlesnake where there was one fatality. The other sled was not involved in a fatality.

Here we are, winter 2017-2018. I too hope that it is a safe one.