Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
IslandRadio

Question Dock woes - need to replace - Wood or Aluminum? Which is better/more cost effective?

We've got 2 docks (in different locations - one is a "safe dock" in a cove and the other is our regular dock).

The "regular" dock is of all wood construction, and I remove the planking and pull the frame out of the water for the winter using a tree mounted winch.

This seems to work very well, however the dock is showing its age and it is only a matter of time before I have to replace it.

The other dock - the safe dock - is constructed from big oak piers (3 sets) driven into the lake bottom, which support the dock frame on cross pieces(wood). Note - all of this was here when we bought the cottage.

During the first year of the dock's life, the end piers were pushed out by the ice and the next set was pushed over (on an angle) quite a bit. The previous owner had Winnipesaukee Marine come and pound the 2 remaining sets of piers back in, and used 4x4s to reconstruct the remaining end of the dock support system. The 4x4s are removed in winter, and the end 20 feet or so of the dock is supported by cables tied back to the piers to prevent it from breaking off.

This past winter, the end most set of piers (about 20 feet from shore) was pushed over at a good 45 degree angle, and almost popped out. I pulled them back to vertical with a come-along, but I fear this winter will be the last for these. They are way up out of the bottom from where they should be.

I suppose I could have the piers driven back in by Winnipesaukee Marine and maybe get another winter out of it..... don't know how much that might cost - haven't called them yet!

But, I think the ultimate solution here is to construct a "proper", removable (crank up) dock that can be taken out for the winter.

I see a lot of aluminum docks out there, and they look pretty strong, and I would guess, a lot lighter to crank up for wintering.

How do these aluminum docks work out? Are they very expensive? Any pros/cons over wood construction?

Any advise about what to do, particularly with the safe dock, and any experiences or advise with respect aluminum docks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Dock and Barge

Default Crank ups

We sell a 6x40 crank up with Red Cedar Pallets and 4x6 legs for around $10,500 installed including the concrete pad and all the rigging. Thanks

There are a few companies which sell the same frame build at weld fab in gilford. Thanks Luke
nedockandbarge.com
Dock and Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dock and Barge For This Useful Post:
IslandRadio (08-05-2010)
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
luvmypups

Default Trex Composite

Have you ever considered doing a trex composite dock??? We have trex decking and we love it. Lasts a lot longer than wood
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
Have you ever considered doing a trex composite dock??? We have trex decking and we love it. Lasts a lot longer than wood
Thanks ! I have wondered how trex would hold up in a wet environment - with the UV beating down on it all day. How long has your trex decking been on your dock? What is the dock frame made from?

Thanks and Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Latitudes or Ipe

If I was going to use composite decking I would use Latitudes Marine Composite Decking. http://www.ufpi.com/product/latitude...ing/marine.htm

I have their standard (non marine) decking at my camp and it is extremely durable. I have a couple pieces I have submerged under water (used as a shim) for over a year now and no issues of swelling or anything at all. Harvey Industries in Manchester sells it. I am very impressed with it.

If I was going to use wood, I would use Ipe only. This stuff is like iron!!

FWIW;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
codeman671

Our dock is a crib dock with Rhinodeck. So far after 5 seasons we have had no issues with it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock and Barge View Post
We sell a 6x40 crank up with Red Cedar Pallets and 4x6 legs for around $10,500 installed including the concrete pad and all the rigging. Thanks

There are a few companies which sell the same frame build at weld fab in gilford. Thanks Luke
nedockandbarge.com
$10,500 for a 6X40 deck? WOW! I thought my 6X40 crank up Trex deck for $6,000 was bad. I use a plan drawn by Hebert Foundries to make the deck. A concrete base with rebars for hinges. And a motorized windlass to raise the dock. Can't use concrete pads as the sand drift too much. I use the aluminmum pads provided by the foundry. You can get all materials at Boulia Gorrell lumber in Laconia. I found out later that Lowe's sell the trex boards for less.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
$10,500 for a 6X40 deck? WOW! I thought my 6X40 crank up Trex deck for $6,000 was bad. I use a plan drawn by Hebert Foundries to make the deck. A concrete base with rebars for hinges. And a motorized windlass to raise the dock. Can't use concrete pads as the sand drift too much. I use the aluminmum pads provided by the foundry. You can get all materials at Boulia Gorrell lumber in Laconia. I found out later that Lowe's sell the trex boards for less.
I looked on goggle but can't find what a windlass is. I have been looking for an electric way to raise my docks. It could be my age but they seem to get heavier every year. OK its my age....
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I looked on goggle but can't find what a windlass is. I have been looking for an electric way to raise my docks. It could be my age but they seem to get heavier every year. OK its my age....
http://www.windlass-anchor.com/
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
My age is getting to me as well. I wrote windlass than winch. Google electric winch and you should see a multitude of winches. That is what I use to raise and lower the deck.