Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
XCR-700

Cool Great Day on the Lake

Had an outstanding day yesterday. Left West Alton Marina and hit Weirs and Meredith.

No trouble getting on the doc at Weirs, but no chance of it in Meredith. But thats ok, we were not actually trying, just wanted to check out the new hotel.

Went back to West Alton sandbar and had a GREAT time. Water temp was perfect. It was busy there but not rowdy or out of control. It got real quite later, just after the bass boats started heading back.

I was surprised by all the traffic on the west end of the lake, most I have seen in a while. Good to see people out and about, and most were reasonable well behaved.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Donzi Minx

Smile Sunday 7/21

Absolutely a great day, lots of traffic. My sons and I anchored and found the water temperature not refreshing, too warm. Always worth the trip from Melrose, MA rain or shine. Missing my uncle's spot in West Alton down by the Owl's Nest, but happy to make the jaunt, the lake has never let me down!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Dave R

I had a great day as well. It was strange running into the wind heading back to Alton at the end of the day.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Had an outstanding day yesterday. Left West Alton Marina and hit Weirs and Meredith.

No trouble getting on the doc at Weirs, but no chance of it in Meredith. But thats ok, we were not actually trying, just wanted to check out the new hotel.

Went back to West Alton sandbar and had a GREAT time. Water temp was perfect. It was busy there but not rowdy or out of control. It got real quite later, just after the bass boats started heading back.

I was surprised by all the traffic on the west end of the lake, most I have seen in a while. Good to see people out and about, and most were reasonable well behaved.
Want to talk about luck? I pulled into Meredith around 1pm yesterday while it was a zoo. We were planning on going to Town Docks for lunch. Needless to say, right as I pulled up a pontoon boat was leaving the dock from right in front of Town Docks. I didn't wait a minute and didn't cut anybody off as everyone was waiting over in front of all the public docking.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
Absolutely a great day, lots of traffic. My sons and I anchored and found the water temperature not refreshing, too warm. Always worth the trip from Melrose, MA rain or shine. Missing my uncle's spot in West Alton down by the Owl's Nest, but happy to make the jaunt, the lake has never let me down!
Owls Nest, know it well,,,

Where do you launch from?

We tow up from Andover, and yes always worth the trip!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I had a great day as well. It was strange running into the wind heading back to Alton at the end of the day.
Quite a bit of clouds in the afternoon but not a drop of rain.

In my youth we spent every summer in Alton (Echo Point) the old donut shop was the best. Many meals at the old "Dots" and Sandy Point. Spent way too many hours in the various game rooms on the pin ball machines,,,

But my favorite spot was Downings, loved the smell of the old "white gas and pre-mix" filling the old orange portable gas tanks meant fun was ahead!!! (we always had Glastrons with Evinrude outboards)

Alton is still my favorite part of the lake.

george
Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Sunday was great!

Thanks for sharing your nice day!!!

R-Guy and I had a excellent island visit with Dave R and his wife. They invited me along for a snorkel of The Belknap. Having never done that, I loved it!!! (Paul was invited too, but thought he should work on is day off! ) After that we floated for a while, enjoying the incredible scenery. Then it was off to Green's Basin. What a fun afternoon! Dave's is an excellent captain and his boat, Mischief Managed is just wonderful. It was super to see so many out enjoying our Great Lake and better yet, so many waving hello to each other... Nice! Thanks Dave and Ann! That was a real treat for me.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
We had a great time with you and Paul too too, such an awesome lake house you have. Thanks again for the hospitality.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Quite a bit of clouds in the afternoon but not a drop of rain.

In my youth we spent every summer in Alton (Echo Point) the old donut shop was the best. Many meals at the old "Dots" and Sandy Point. Spent way too many hours in the various game rooms on the pin ball machines,,,

But my favorite spot was Downings, loved the smell of the old "white gas and pre-mix" filling the old orange portable gas tanks meant fun was ahead!!! (we always had Glastrons with Evinrude outboards)

Alton is still my favorite part of the lake.

george
Spent my Summers as a kid in Robert's Cover Basin. I recall many meals at Dot's and Ruby's in New Durham, and Bailey's in Wolfeboro. Roller skating in Alton was also really fun. Hard to believe it's been nearly 40 years...
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Donzi Minx

Default Sunday 7/21

Launch at Silver Sands. I found Fay's a little cumbersome parking trailer off truck. Loved launching at Ames Farm until that came to a hault.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post

R-Guy and I had a excellent island visit with Dave R and his wife. They invited me along for a snorkel of The Belknap. Having never done that, I loved it!!! (Paul was invited too, but thought he should work on is day off! ) After that we floated for a while, enjoying the incredible scenery. Then it was off to Green's Basin. What a fun afternoon! Dave's is an excellent captain and his boat, Mischief Managed is just wonderful. It was super to see so many out enjoying our Great Lake and better yet, so many waving hello to each other... Nice! Thanks Dave and Ann! That was a real treat for me.
Sounds like a fantastic trip, and the water temp was great for snorkeling. I'll have to keep my eye open for Mischief Managed

I too enjoyed seeing people offering a wave in passing, we always did that when I was a kid and I still do as much as possible.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Spent my Summers as a kid in Robert's Cover Basin. I recall many meals at Dot's and Ruby's in New Durham, and Bailey's in Wolfeboro. Roller skating in Alton was also really fun. Hard to believe it's been nearly 40 years...
Oh almost forgot about Baileys,,, they had GREAT ice cream, outstanding hot fudge if my memory serves,,,

I haven't driven to Wolfeboro in a few years and I seem to recall Baileys closing or selling out. What is its status these days?

Thanks - george
Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Oh almost forgot about Baileys,,, they had GREAT ice cream, outstanding hot fudge if my memory serves,,,

I haven't driven to Wolfeboro in a few years and I seem to recall Baileys closing or selling out. What is its status these days?

Thanks - george
The only Bailey's I know of in Wolfeboro is Bailey's Bubble ice cream. I assume it's the same family. AFAIK, the two old Bailey's restaurant buildings are no longer associated with Bailey's.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
XCR-700

Is the old Bailey's restaurant at the top of the hill open under another name or just closed?

Not that it was all that old, but in the '80s we used to go to B-Mae's in Gilford. Food was always good when I was there, but its closed for many years now and just a run-down empty building today,,,

Seems strange to me.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Is the old Bailey's restaurant at the top of the hill open under another name or just closed?

Not that it was all that old, but in the '80s we used to go to B-Mae's in Gilford. Food was always good when I was there, but its closed for many years now and just a run-down empty building today,,,

Seems strange to me.
Open under a different name.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Hey DR & XCR, I remember the "Pin Ups" all over the walls in the Rigging Garage at Downings Marine. Grew up there. Good times. LOTs of good storys.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Dockside in Wolfeboro used to be Bailey's but they lost the town lease quite a few years ago and it has been run by at least three other people since. It is now run by the owner's of Garwoods. The old Bailey's on South Main Street just below the hospital, is now called the front porch. Same building, same feel, not much change.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
gillygirl

Quote:
Didn't B Mae's become the Fireside Inn and Suites?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes and no..

Yes to the Hotel portion.

No to the Restaurant. It was located in the "house" that is right at the corner. I believe it tried to survive as a restaurant under a different name, and then as an antique center / craft store.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
Just Sold

Yup, Downing's repair shop (the newer building next to the covered docks had Playboy centerfolds all over the back wall. A very high wall at that. My dad told me not to go in there. Like I did what I was told.

The old Bea Mae's in Gilford is having some remodeling work on the rear half of the building done and the parking lot has some docks and related items in it. Diversified Marine has a sign up in the parking lot saying it will be their new store.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
Launch at Silver Sands. I found Fay's a little cumbersome parking trailer off truck. Loved launching at Ames Farm until that came to a hault.

Silver Sands will let you launch for day trips? Do they have parking for truck and trailer???
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Didn't B Mae's become the Fireside Inn and Suites?
Only the hotel, not the restaurant.

Thats ok, Sawyers is still there and still has the best frappes in the area!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
Hey DR & XCR, I remember the "Pin Ups" all over the walls in the Rigging Garage at Downings Marine. Grew up there. Good times. LOTs of good storys.
Guess I missed that,,,

I seem to recall some pinball machines in there for a while,,, I think,,,

We got gas there all the time and used Parkers for any work on the boat.

Not 100% sure, but think we used to buy minnows and night crawlers at a little shop next to the old hotel diagonally across from the general store on the corner,,, Memory is fading with old age,,,

george
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
Dave R

I missed the pinups at Downing's, sad to say. Some of my favorite childhood memories were exploring the boat storage barns in Robert's Cove. There was (is?) some really cool old stuff stored there, especially in the attic of one of them. I'm sure we were not supposed to be up there though. I also fondly recall the ancient coke machine in the marina. The coin mechanism failed so one just had to put a quarter in the tin can screwed to the front of the machine to buy a 10 oz bottle of ice cold Coke. There was no security at all, but no one I know of ever stole a coke or a quarter.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
gillygirl

Quote:
Only the hotel, not the restaurant.

Thats ok, Sawyers is still there and still has the best frappes in the area!
I guess I'm only remembering the house as a theater. Don't remember a restaurant at all. Losing the mind.