Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
riverfisher

Default Mysterious Black Spots

Hi All,

I have thousands of small pin head size black spots on my boat. These spots are hard shelled and stain the fiberglass. These spots are on the aluminum window frames, stainless steel railings, Galvanized trailer and from the top of my cabin to the water line on the fiberglass. I have a galvanized anchor on the pulpit of my boat and the spots are on the lower side of the anchor. I'd like to know what these spots are and how to clean them off my boat. I've tried accetone, paint thinner, rubbing compound, bleach, three different bottom cleaners containing various levels of acid, three different types of goop off. The goop off works the best with lots of scrubbing but doesn't completely remove the stains. My boat is a 1990 blue on white. The gel coat is mostly gone on the top decks where the stains are the greatest. I've talked to two boat yards with photo's and no help. Not a lot can be seen with photo's. Has anyone had the same problem and found a way to clean these stains. I suspect bug juices but can't prove it and can't clean it.
I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
Dick the riverfisher.
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Seadoo

Mr clean magic sponge!!!
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Coolbreeze

They actually sound like spores from a fungus called artillary fungus. The spores shoot from the fungus growing on top of organic material like wood chips or mulch. When the spores release they are shot all over and almost are impossible to remove. Good luck!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Captain Zipper

Default Turtle Wax

Dick,

I used to park my suburban in a certain spot at work until I noticed the same type of small black dots. They are gooey when they first hit but then they harden and turn darker in color. They seem to come from a tree, the type I don't know offhand but I can find out.

Turtle wax "Bug & Tar Remover" seems to work the best, at least for me. There is still rubbing involved but the T wax softens it and makes it easier to rub off.

Now, the bad news; you say that there are thousands of spots. That's not good. Good luck, sounds like you've already put quite a bit of effort and time into it.

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
george b

Default mysterious spots

I just put my boat in the water last Monday and the folks from the Marina did a fantastic job cleaning it. It was also covered with those little black spots but they got them all off. I'll ask them what they used and post it. I was a little embarressed when they said it was the dirtiest boat they had to clean. But it was those black spots, I guess I always thought that it was a type of mold or mildew. However my dock is under a big oak tree so I've been thinking that it could be from that.
george b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
Orion

Thumbs up Thanks, I was wondering for years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze
They actually sound like spores from a fungus called artillary fungus. The spores shoot from the fungus growing on top of organic material like wood chips or mulch. When the spores release they are shot all over and almost are impossible to remove. Good luck!
Thanks to Coolbreeze, my mystery of many years has been solved. I have these on vinyl siding of my house. Good link from tip....

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...leryfungus.htm

Doesn't sound promising to remove them...I've tried.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Captain Zipper

Default Fungus

Well that certainly is interesting. In my case though, it only seems to jump onto my vehicle and not the one parked next to it.

Lucky me!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #8
Captain Zipper

Default Google

Per Google, "Nail polish remover" or "OFF" seem to work well at removing this stuff.

A Google search of "removing tree sap from car" brought up an litany of sites.

How much did your marina charge you? Was it many hours of labor? Another option I saw on Google was to use a buff it. (Obviously knowing what your doing since inexperienced hands with a buffer on fibreglass can prove disasterous.)
Old 06-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
DRH

Default Denatured Alcohol for Pine Sap Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
A Google search of "removing tree sap from car" brought up an litany of sites.
For pine sap removal, many years' experience of trying various solvents available on the retail market has taught me that denatured alcohol works better than anything else I've tried. No petroleum-based solvent including paint thinner, bug & tar remover, even gasoline, works nearly as well as denatured alcohol for removing pine sap. Also, denatured alcohol will not harm fiberglass (or a car's paint finish), and it even works well for removing sap from Sunbrella-type boat canvas.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default pitch removal

A few years back we had pitch on the car and found a perfect use for AVON's product with Aloe in it. Works good, then wax.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
Captain Zipper

Default Drh

DRH (or anyone else with tips),
What do you like to clean umbrella with when you get the mold growth on the underside?

Also, what do you like to use for cleaning mold on boat carpeting? i.e. the area's in storage compartments.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
fasttech

Are you in a boat house or have a roof over the boat if so it sounds like spider droppings.
fasttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
DRH

Quote:
DRH (or anyone else with tips),
What do you like to clean umbrella with when you get the mold growth on the underside?
Also, what do you like to use for cleaning mold on boat carpeting? i.e. the area's in storage compartments.
Thanks.
Are you sure it's mold and not mildew? Mildew (black spots or streaks) seems to be a lot more prevalent than mold where we are. The best thing for removing mildew is bleach, but if the mildew is on fabric you have to be careful not to damage it. We use a 10% bleach/water solution in a spray bottle to remove mildew from pretty much all surfaces. We spray the diluted bleach solution on, gently scrub with a soft brush or terry cloth, and then rinse thoroughly with lots of water. If the surface with mildew is also dirty, we then spray it with Simple Green (after rinsing off the bleach), lightly scrub, and then rinse again with lots of water. That treatment always works well for removing mildew and dirt from just about any surface. Rinsing with lots of water is very important whenever you use a bleach solution on fabric, even with the weak 10% solution we use.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
Captain Zipper

Default My apologies

Yes, I mean't mildew, not mold. Thanks for the correction.

No Fasttech, I have a 24' cuddy cabin. and under the rear side seats is storage but sometimes I end up with no air movement in there and it gets "mildew".

I used the bleach (not diluted that much though). thanks for the input, I wasn't sure whether using bleach at all was the best idea. But now that I have a second opinion.........................

thanks much
Old 06-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
Eki

Default spider s**t

Sounds like spider s**t.

Is your boat in a boat house?

I had the same problem in my boat house. The long term fix was to put some luan on the bottom side of the rafters, creating a smooth surface where the spiders had no place to spin a web.
Eki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #16
Zeke

If your boat is in the path of the Laconia International airport landing or take off pattern, it could be from the fuel burn as they go over. You see this occur in the Gilford area such as Smith Cove, MVYC and such.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #17
Captain Zipper

Default No boat house

No, my boat isn't in a boathouse. And my boat is kept in a marina on the CT. River in Ct. So if I'm on the runway approach zone for Laconia than the pilots are definitely lost. (Which of course has been done....................)

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #18
RumGuy

Default Oak stuff

We used to get that on a white car that we owned. It was from the oak trees in the yard, and the only thing that we could find to remove it was Lestoil. The hard part will be keeping the Lestoil out of the Lake...it's strong stuff.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #19
KBoater

Default Blame the Midwest

15 years ago or more we would blame the black spots on Acid rain from the Midwest. Some of the industry output has been cleaned up or the plants have closed. We stil get some. I always try to explain acid rain to my Midwestern friends.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #20
riverfisher

I think we've got the cause of my problem, thanks to Coolbreeze and Orion. I have a two acre wooded lot and when they cleared the trees for my house they removed the tree logs and shredded the limbs into chips in one huge pile in the wooded area next to where my boat is now stored when not in the water. The link provided by Orion says it is vertually impossible to remove these stains, so I have another problem. So what's next, sand the outside surfaces with fine sandpaper, have the boat painted? Not sure but first I'll move the boat to another location. Again a very special thanks to Coolbreeze and Orion for you help.
Dick
Old 06-18-2006, 08:02 PM   #21
Captain Zipper

Default George b?

Riverfisher,

You might want to try to raise George B and see how his marina got them off before you start sanding.

Flboater, man am I envious of you. Winters in Florida and Winni in Summer. You definitely have the best of both worlds.

CZ
Old 06-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #22
Nhlvrnfla

Default This will work for sure.

Try Avon Skin So Soft sprayed on after you wash with Avon Bubble Bath.

This will for sure work.

No, I am not an Avon rep, but I have been told these methods will do very well.

And..............I am not the only one who does this.

Good luck.
Nhlvrnfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #23
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb De-mildewing Sunbrella

Quote:
Yes, I mean't mildew, not mold. Thanks for the correction.

No Fasttech, I have a 24' cuddy cabin. and under the rear side seats is storage but sometimes I end up with no air movement in there and it gets "mildew".

I used the bleach (not diluted that much though). thanks for the input, I wasn't sure whether using bleach at all was the best idea. But now that I have a second opinion.........................

thanks much
I'll second (third ? ) DRH's answer and say when we clean our Sunbrella bimini we follow the recipe from the Sunbrella people:

One of the best ways to keep Sunbrella brand fabrics looking good and to delay the need for deep or vigorous cleanings is to hose fabrics off on a monthly basis with clear water. This practice will help prevent dirt from becoming deeply imbedded in the fabric and eliminate the need for more frequent vigorous cleanings. In most environments, a thorough cleaning will be needed every two to three years.
When it's time for a thorough cleaning, Sunbrella fabrics can be cleaned while still on an awning frame or a boat or, size permitting, they can be removed for cleaning in a washing machine.

When cleaning Sunbrella fabrics, it is important to observe the following:

Always use a mild soap i.e. Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite. Never detergent.
Water should be cold to lukewarm. Never more than 100 degrees.
Air dry only. Never apply heat to Sunbrella fabrics.
If you are cleaning Sunbrella while still on an awning frame or a boat, follow these simple steps:

Brush off loose dirt.
Hose down.
Prepare a cleaning mixture of water and mild soap (no detergents).
Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
Allow soap to soak in.
Rinse thoroughly.
Air dry.
If stubborn stains persist, you can use a diluted chlorine bleach/soap mixture for spot cleaning of mildew, roof run-off or other similar stains (see our Stain Chart for specific recommendations).

Prepare a special cleaning mixture:

Eight ounces (one cup) of chlorine bleach.
Two ounces (one-fourth cup) of mild soap.
One gallon of water.
Clean with soft bristle brush.
Allow mixture to soak for up to 20 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly.
Air dry.
Repeat if necessary.
Remember to protect the area around your Sunbrella if using a bleach solution. Carpet or other fabrics that are not Sunbrella may have an adverse reaction to the bleach.

If an awning or boat cover is suitable in size for a washing machine, these steps should be followed:

Use only mild soaps. No detergent.
Wash and rinse in cold water.
Air dry. Never put Sunbrella fabrics in your dryer.
Re-treating the Fabric
As part of the finishing process, Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but must be replenished after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results, Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics. Fabrics should be retreated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use. Check with your local Sunbrella dealer or distributor for more information.

Applying 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™
303 should be applied to Sunbrella fabrics after each thorough cleaning, which typically removes the original fluorocarbon finish and reduces the fabric's water repellency. After cleaning the fabric, allow it to air dry completely and then apply 303 in a thin, even coat. After allowing the first coat of 303 to air dry, apply a second thin, even coating of 303. Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating. A 15-ounce bottle provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of lightweight fabric. Always apply 303 to clean fabric.

It works for us but be careful with the bleach. Too much is bad.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #24
rander7823

Default Gypsy Moth Catepillar S**T

You might have the same probelm I have down here in CT under our oak tree at our pool. The gypsy moth catepillars eat and then do their Doo-doo. It stains and when it rains it spreads. Once they are dead or defoliated the tree it goes away.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
riverfisher

This is "Artillery Fungus". I've spent all season trying to remove these spots with a cabinet full of failed products. I called in two pro's and both came up with the same recommendations: wet sand with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper followed by buffing with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound, followed by finish buffing, followed by a good waxing. This is working, little by little. I have a 22 ft boat with a roof and these spot cover it all.

Keep your prize possessions away from wood chips or wood chips away from your house and other prized possessions. I'd hate to see anyone go through this.

Thanks to those who lead me in this direction.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #26
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfisher
This is "Artillery Fungus". I've spent all season trying to remove these spots with a cabinet full of failed products. I called in two pro's and both came up with the same recommendations: wet sand with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper followed by buffing with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound, followed by finish buffing, followed by a good waxing. This is working, little by little. I have a 22 ft boat with a roof and these spot cover it all.

Keep your prize possessions away from wood chips or wood chips away from your house and other prized possessions. I'd hate to see anyone go through this.

Thanks to those who lead me in this direction.
RF, I found that Simple Green and a little elbow grease worked. Use a cloth (I used cloth diapers), let the simple green soak for a bit. A fingernail or piece of soft wood worked to get the stubborn ones off, followed by the cloth. Worked for me.

Good luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #27
Long Island Baba

Default More cleaning tips

I've got those spots all over my boat and vinyl siding. I always thought it was bat poop or something of that sort.

First, you definitely need fingernails! It's pretty tedious but for the boat I sprayed Fantastic on the spot to soften it and then rubbed like mad with fingernail to get it off. 85% of them come off like this. The rest have to be scraped off (scraper wrapped in fabric so as not to damage the fiberglass) and then spray and wipe residue away.

For the house I used gasoline. Dab onto rag and rub away. Then, of course, soapy wash it off.

Hate 'em!!!!!
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #28
Loony Singer

Default thanks to all for the enlightenment!

I've always hated all kinds of fungi...so now it looks like they're shooting back at me!

Well, this certainly explains the problems we had with teeny black spots all over 3 different cars (all parked on bark mulch on the north side of our house). The spots do indeed come off...all it gakes is hours and hours of scrubbing with bug and tar remover...and lotsa elbow grease.

I only wish this thread had been started early enough to save the perfectly innocent tree I cut down, mistaking it for the culprit.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote