Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default No Wake Lake??

How much higher can the water go before a lake wide no wake restriction is mandated?? The water levels have really risen and with more rain expected this week I have a feeling it won't be long!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default 1998

This happened back in 1998. I will see if I can find out how high the lake was.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Bear Islander

In the past my dock being underwater coincided perfectly with the lake wide restriction. I don't think my dock is the official determining factor... But I am watching the Bearcam to see if it works a third time. We still have a few inches to go.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
woodynh

The lake certainly is high but at this point looking at my dock not much higher then it usally gets at somepoint every year. I have seen it about 4 to 5 inches higher on my dock without the lake being no wake.

Again that is just judging by my dock.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Coastal Laker

Default Weirs bridge says we're at full lake

FYI that I went under the Weirs bridge yesterday around 4pm and the water level was exactly at the full lake mark. It was a full foot or more higher just two-three years ago and only had a no-wake restriction for a set distance from shore (I don't recall what the MPs set it at). That year, the water was over the doc by a few inches, easily 12-16 inches from what it is now.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Senter Cove Guy

Default Keep It Where It's At

I like the lake height right now. I'd like to see it stay at this height until mid-late September.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Before the lake goes no wake the water has always been over my dock..... currently as of yesterday, we have about 6 inches before that happens..... When the lake has gone no wake I believe the level has usually been about 505 feet with full lake being 504.32 which says that the lake is about 8.4 inches above full lake.............(interestingly enough this is just about the top of my dock)

Not that this is a hard fast rule but that is what I have noted from the past.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
hazelnut

The Channel was pretty fun on Saturday. I believe we were flying through at 10 MPH with the boat in neutral!!!!!

The challenge was coming back against the current! Seems the Dam is opened up pretty big right now.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
robmac

I remember back in 98 I had a slip at Thurstons and I can tell you it was no picnic getting in and out when the Channel was really flowing. It was one of the main resons for moving and not an easy decision for me.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
The Channel was pretty fun on Saturday. I believe we were flying through at 10 MPH with the boat in neutral!!!!!

The challenge was coming back against the current! Seems the Dam is opened up pretty big right now.
Be careful! That is a headway speed zone! It's against the law to go more than 6 mph!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Be careful! That is a headway speed zone! It's against the law to go more than 6 mph!
Yup, you should have been in reverse. I think the 6 mph would be relative to the water and not the land.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Resident 2B

Default Only 3" above full lake

Although the water is high, we are only at 504.56' which is only 3" over full lake. They are dumping water at a reasonable level at the dam, matching the input, so the lake is stead at the 504.56' level.

Although it is raining some, it is not pouring. Therefore, it looks like the lake will stay at this level, then recede as the good weather comes in later this week. Hopefully, this keeps us out of the "No Wake" rules that usually come at about 505'.

The 1600 cfs release level is resulting in a good current in the Weirs Channel making it tough to hold control heading south at 6MPH GPS. Remember, GPS is relative to the land, not the current. The boat could care less how fast it is going relative to the land as far as control is concerned. It is speed relative to the current that gives control.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Yup, you should have been in reverse. I think the 6 mph would be relative to the water and not the land.
It is (though it is not worded that way), but with MP trained in the use of RADAR and LIDAR, and equipped with said hardware, how long before the same officer who forces people into headway speed situations in tight areas figures out a way to use RADAR or LIDAR to start writing tickets for going faster than 6 MPH in a no wake zone?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Although the water is high, we are only at 504.56' which is only 3" over full lake. They are dumping water at a reasonable level at the dam, matching the input, so the lake is stead at the 504.56' level.

Although it is raining some, it is not pouring. Therefore, it looks like the lake will stay at this level, then recede as the good weather comes in later this week. Hopefully, this keeps us out of the "No Wake" rules that usually come at about 505'.

The 1600 cfs release level is resulting in a good current in the Weirs Channel making it tough to hold control heading south at 6MPH GPS. Remember, GPS is relative to the land, not the current. The boat could care less how fast it is going relative to the land as far as control is concerned. It is speed relative to the current that gives control.

R2B
I think this is a good summary of the current conditions. It would need to go up almost 4 -6 inches before a serious consideration for a no wake over the lake based on similar conditions in 2005,6, and 7. Of course a really strong system could drop 3 to 4 inches over a day and that would change things considerably but that is unlikely.

Last edited by jeffk; 06-22-2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: missed a word
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
.... how long before the same officer who forces people into headway speed situations in tight areas figures out a way to use RADAR or LIDAR to start writing tickets for going faster than 6 MPH in a no wake zone?
It would be much easier to just claim you did something when in reality you did something else totally reasonable. Then it would be your word against theirs, who do you think would win in court? You would have to prove yourself innocent..... wait a minute, isnt this America, innocent until proven, without a reasonable doubt, you are guilty?

Seriously tho, I have a friend who was a MPO, and quit over the brotherhood scorning him because he refused to participate in these entrapment antics.

Despite all the recent chant for 'change', I hope the reasonableness and personal honor of the past will return return to those who rule and have control over us. Is this too much to hope for?

/rant off
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Lake Levels

Lake Winnipesaukee Hydrograph

Through Bizer's website, you can access another graph, which I cannot figure out how to access through DES. Click on Bizer's Lake Level. Above the graph click the - Click here for NH DES graph of the last two weeks.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Rattlesnake Guy

Default I always wondered....

2000 cubic feet per second is a lot of water. Did you ever wonder, like I did, how much the lake drops if the dam releases 2000 cubic feet per second for 1 day? My rough calculation is about 1.03 inches per day.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
Island Girl

According to Bizer, 1920 CFS yields 1.24 billion gallons, or enough water to lower the level of Lake Winnipesaukee one inch.. Which makes you right on, RGuy.

Here is the lake level chart.
http://www2.des.state.nh.us/rti_data/wein3_TABLE.HTML

You can always find the lake level charts at www.rattlesnakecam.com/watch.htm along with a lot of other lake information.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
Cobalt 25

I must be missing something when I look at the chart posted by Rattlesnake Gal. It seems to indicate that May and June have had LESS rainfall than the 10 year average. It sure doesn't seem like that. Where is my misinterpretation?

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Lake Is Lower

Even though the rain has not stopped, the lake level is slightly lower than last weekend. I notice this weekend that my docks are slightly exposed more.

Now all we need is SUN!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
NHskier

According to their chart, the Lakeport dam has been wide open for the past few days.

http://www2.des.state.nh.us/RTi_Home...E=Lakeport+Dam
Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #22
meredith weekender

According to the chart in the channel, we are 2"below a full lake. This is as of this morning.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote