Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Retired At Last

Default What is that in Paugus Bay??

Hello To All,

New to the forum but not to the lake. Myself and family have been visiting the lake for well over 40 years now. The area is beautiful and is a favorite of ours for vacationing. Seen many changes throughout the years in attractions and new cottage/mansion construction but nothing like what we saw in Paugus Bay yesterday. I can't really properly describe it - seems to be a lookout tower of some kind. We were boating down the western side of the bay almost by the bigger of the two islands when we saw it on the eastern side of the bay. We have seen some odd, out of place looking buildings around the lake over the years but this one tops them all so far. You must make the journey to see this - pretty much next to the Margate resort, you can't miss it.
Retired At Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
LongBay

You may have been looking at the water tower all covered up while it gets sandblasted and a new coat of paint.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
8gv

Another Winnie sighting!

Have you any pics?

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I am guessing that it is the former Burger King, now Watermark's office and store. The penthouse office makes it look unique.

What color is it?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
Retired At Last

I wish I did have a picture but only had my old school flip phone with me that day. It wasn't a water tower. It was a tall thin, I think yellowish, building with a very odd looking roof that can be seen from the water just left of the Margate on the shoreline.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
bman60

Does anyone have a picture?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Woody38

I believe it is a new structure that went up this summer. Tall and looks like one room wide, 3 stories. Drive just past Margate and look to the water. Appears there may be two buildings.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
Retired At Last

We may venture over to Paugus Bay during the coming week. Will get over to the east side of the bay to get a better look and a hopefully a picture.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
AC2717

all I can say is there are great views from it, no its not mine
Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
Retired At Last

Hi AC2717, Capt of the "No Worries",

Your post indicates you have visited this structure - please tell us what it is and why it is there. Does it have anything to do with the fire department, as in a training tower maybe? Do you happen to have a photo to share? Any info to help identify this structure would be appreciated. My family's schedule will keep me off the lake until the following week so I will not be able to get a photo until then. Wish we had cruised across the bay when we were over there for a closer look.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:30 AM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I'm losing confidence in this Forum. If you can't post a picture, and answer the OP's question, I'm going to stop reading this thread.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #12
julietbravo

A picture from May
Attached Images

julietbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to julietbravo For This Useful Post:
steve petro (06-20-2018)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wetlands ruling

Because of the rulings, any structure within 175' (I could be wrong) has to build within the same footprint. So property owners are building up instead of out. This will become common as the years go by.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #14
Longtimelurker

We call it the Tower of Terror!
Longtimelurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #15
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Because of the rulings, any structure within 175' (I could be wrong) has to build within the same footprint. So property owners are building up instead of out. This will become common as the years go by.
However, many (most) towns also have height bylaws that will limit how high. But you are right, as the old places come down, the replacements will go to the max allowed.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #16
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired At Last View Post

Your post indicates you have visited this structure - please tell us what it is and why it is there. Does it have anything to do with the fire department, as in a training tower maybe? Do you happen to have a photo to share? Any info to help identify this structure would be appreciated. My family's schedule will keep me off the lake until the following week so I will not be able to get a photo until then. Wish we had cruised across the bay when we were over there for a closer look.
It is a Friends residence in our cottage association. We are required to stay in the same footprint and Laconia allows for up to 35feet height, which that is below by a couple of feet. I went up as well, but not to the height and kept it more old school style. WE have the other two to the right in the photo that we used to call the twin towers, those have been there 9 and 5 years respectively.

I am sorry, but I will not post interior photos or anything about it without permission from the owner, also it is still under construction. Materials and workmanship is quality for sure and is probably 2-3 months away from completion

I believe you will see a lot more of this as families that grow that own cottages will go up for more space.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Wow, that's ugly.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #18
MeredithMan

There's a place for sale in Gilford for like $1.3MM that is very narrow and tall...now I guess I understand why. Building "up" but on the same footprint as the previous structure is probably a lot less hassle than getting variances from the town to expand the footprint.

Not my taste, but what do I know? (not much, according to my kids)
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #19
Onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
There is no state level "Wetlands ruling" that would regulate this. The NH Shoreland Act (RSA 482-A) would prohibit getting closer to the water for structures closer than 50 to the water but later expansion could still be possible. The Shoreland Act was changed in either 2008 or 2009 to remove the pre-existing restrictions on expanding pre-existing primary structures upward within 50 feet of the reference line. There has been a 12 ft. limit on the height of accessory structures within 50 feet of the reference line since 1996.

Last edited by Onshore; 08-22-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Technical accuracy, 2:50 pm 8/22/2017
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #20
Descant

Bravo Zulu to Juliet Bravo. Thanks for the picture.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #21
fogpixie

Agreed...it's ugly. Gosh, I hope were not going to be seeing more like this!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
fogpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #22
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelurker View Post
We call it the Tower of Terror!
.....that's a good name .... a lake winnipesaukee terror tower!

(Supposedly, geographic areas and bodies of water like lake winnipesaukee, the atlantic ocean, and meredith bay are not supposed to be capitalized?)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-23-2017 at 02:42 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #23
longislander

State Shoreland Program:

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...cspa/index.htm

Towns have differing zoning ordinances, which are in addition to the state regs.

I live in Moultonborough which has a 32ft. height limit:

I. Height of buildings. No building shall be constructed in the Town of Moultonborough with overall height exceeding thirty-two (32) feet above ground level measured as the average of the vertical distances between the ridge of the building and the highest ground level point, and the ridge of the building and the lowest ground level point. This provision shall not apply to church steeples, chimneys, cupolas, silos, antennas, or to unoccupied structures.

https://www.moultonboroughnh.gov/sit...03-14-17_0.pdf
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #24
Retired At Last

THANKS julietbravo for the photo posting. YES, that is what we saw from across the bay that day. UGLY seems to a kind description now that I see it up close. Looks like a shoe box on end. Wow, what were they thinking erecting such a thing. Definitely does not fit in with the other buildings in that area. Is the roof off center or is it the photo angle? The other taller building in the picture complements the area while this building totally looks out of place. My older daughter summed it up with - " just another case of more money than common sense".
Old 08-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #25
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired At Last View Post
THANKS julietbravo for the photo posting. YES, that is what we saw from across the bay that day. UGLY seems to a kind description now that I see it up close. Looks like a shoe box on end. Wow, what were they thinking erecting such a thing. Definitely does not fit in with the other buildings in that area. Is the roof off center or is it the photo angle? The other taller building in the picture complements the area while this building totally looks out of place. My older daughter summed it up with - " just another case of more money than common sense".
The Photo there is from May, and the roof is offset due to the sun. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, personally being there throughout the construction and knowing the interior and what the finished product will be, it will be a modern style base line for things to come I think, its just ahead of everything else
Old 08-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #26
kawishiwi

Default The only people...

The only people not having to view that elevator shaft are the people that live in it. Kinda like a giant middle finger to taste, discretion & style. Not to mention all of the neighbors, especially those behind.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #27
Retired At Last

If this is what things to come brings, I'll pass. Remember I still have a flip phone. And unless the interior completion somehow changes the outside appearance of this building - it will still be ugly, sorry. Cheers all!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #28
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

If thats the look of the future I hope am not around long enough to see everything looking like that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #29
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
There is no state level "Wetlands ruling" that would regulate this. The NH Shoreland Act (RSA 482-A) would prohibit getting closer to the water for structures closer than 50 to the water but later expansion could still be possible. The Shoreland Act was changed in either 2008 or 2009 to remove the pre-existing restrictions on expanding pre-existing primary structures upward within 50 feet of the reference line. There has been a 12 ft. limit on the height of accessory structures within 50 feet of the reference line since 1996.
Thanks for the update. So it is town rulings that justify the means. In Laconia, one project build up 3 stories on the same footprint. I know of another project that went up 3 stories on the same footprint in Gilford. Another project in Tuftonboro the owner choose to tear down the existing structure, move it back 50 feet so he can build on a bigger footprint.
The one project I know in Laconia, the property owner in the back of the new 3 story building wasn't happy as he lost direct view of the lake.

The reason why I thought it was state specific is that it happened in 3 towns that bordered Lake Winnipesaukee.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #30
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Does it look taller because it is so narrow? The one to the right looks almost as high.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #31
Seaplane Pilot

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
The only people not having to view that elevator shaft are the people that live in it. Kinda like a giant middle finger to taste, discretion & style. Not to mention all of the neighbors, especially those behind.
Damn snowflakes!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #32
Rockslider

Ugly is an understatement. The homes to the right show that a tall building, while not ideal, can at least be made visually tolerable. This one is, as a prior poster said, a statement. I hope it is not a sign of what is to come.
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #33
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
It is a Friends residence in our cottage association. We are required to stay in the same footprint and Laconia allows for up to 35feet height, which that is below by a couple of feet. I went up as well, but not to the height and kept it more old school style. WE have the other two to the right in the photo that we used to call the twin towers, those have been there 9 and 5 years respectively.

I am sorry, but I will not post interior photos or anything about it without permission from the owner, also it is still under construction. Materials and workmanship is quality for sure and is probably 2-3 months away from completion

I believe you will see a lot more of this as families that grow that own cottages will go up for more space.
Do you all have a need to insult someone's home on a public forum?
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #34
ApS

Unhappy Empathy for the Neighbors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm losing confidence in this Forum. If you can't post a picture, and answer the OP's question, I'm going to stop reading this thread.
Ya sorry now?

Proof there's no "View Tax"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogpixie View Post
Agreed...it's ugly. Gosh, I hope were not going to be seeing more like this!
Agreed; however, within sight of Paugus Bay there was an ugly precedent in the Lakes Region.

(A "fence" to force an abutting farmer to move out—and wasn't as tall).

Attached Images

Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #35
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Does it look taller because it is so narrow? The one to the right looks almost as high.
you are correct, also the land starts to slope down towards the other two. Everyone has their opinions and that is part of what makes this country great (for now anyways). IMO though, comparing the structures side by side and close up and not from the water where you only see one side and the lake windows, gives you a different perspective of the property.

Right now while it is not the only one that went up in the association, it is the first modern one in the area, and with the age group turning over do not think it wont evolve to more.
Rather look at that than that white building the Margate owns with teal stripes on it (the old Monaco, or the tents that are always going up and down, or that building behind our association 1 Gilford Place or the land waste between Watermark and Spinnaker Cove, or the numerous falling down boat houses on the bay).

it is like the one modern house on the block that was built in the 70's and everyone hated it because it was not traditional. Now look, tiny modern houses made out of left over crap, people bringing industrial in and the Steam Punk design, that very same street that had that one modern style house now has more on it.

At the end of the day, its not your money and not your tastes and desires, oh well
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #36
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Looks better than some of the ridiculous MacMansions dotting the lake!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #37
JEM

Default Prison look out tower?

Ummm I would not consider this to be "modern" at all. It has ruined the integrity of the shoreline in my opinion. Looks more like a prison tower and is quite an eye sore. I feel bad for the people who have to look at that consistently. I am sure the people in the perfect quaint cottage right next to that were not too happy.
Every time I see it I see this image!

JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #38
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
Ummm I would not consider this to be "modern" at all. It has ruined the integrity of the shoreline in my opinion. Looks more like a prison tower and is quite an eye sore. I feel bad for the people who have to look at that consistently. I am sure the people in the perfect quaint cottage right next to that were not too happy.
Every time I see it I see this image!

see is where the country is going, its his land, his building, his money. If they chose to building this then its what they wanted, when it does not directly affect you directly, financially, why does the other person have to take your opinions and wants/desires into consideration

off Soap box now
Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #39
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post

KPW are you speaking to what I said or what others are saying? as I do not feel I insulted anyone's home here?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #40
Phantom

AC .... I think the implication was clear that he is referring to all the folks bashing the "Ugly" house !

Old 08-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #41
JEM

Quote:
see is where the country is going, its his land, his building, his money. If they chose to building this then its what they wanted, when it does not directly affect you directly, financially, why does the other person have to take your opinions and wants/desires into consideration
Of course he doesn't NEED to take anyones "opinions or want/desires into consideration" although a little common sense and common courtesy should come into play especially in a condominium complex. How that monstrosity got approved is beyond me but as you say, this "is where the COUNTRY is going". Each to their own....
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #42
AC2717

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Of course he doesn't NEED to take anyones "opinions or want/desires into consideration" although a little common sense and common courtesy should come into play especially in a condominium complex. How that monstrosity got approved is beyond me but as you say, this "is where the COUNTRY is going". Each to their own....
to your point about being approved its all in what the bylaws allow and don't for the association, then onto the town where if it conforms to their requirements, how could it not.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #43
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Damn snowflakes!
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #44
KPW

Quote:
KPW are you speaking to what I said or what others are saying? as I do not feel I insulted anyone's home here?
Not anyone in particular. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I just feel it is insulting/hurtful to the person who is building this house. His neighbor does not seem to mind. It does not seem to matter anyway, the insults continue!!
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #45
Descant

Default Ugly?

A little premature aren't we? When they add the windmill and plant the tulips it will be very picturesque.

Can't wait to see the comment when "tiny houses" start to move in .
Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #46
Mr. V

Reminds me of the alien invader in "Kronos."

It's got a good view over the bay, anyway.
Attached Images

Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #47
ApS

Quote:
Can't wait to see the comment when "tiny houses" start to move in .
A friend is sending me examples of those "tiny houses". Very intriguing, and may be possible!

Quote:
A little premature aren't we? When they add the windmill and plant the tulips it will be very picturesque.
Your "un-named source" and mine have different perspectives: My "un-named source" says exterior granite and ivy will be added...
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #48
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
I had a lot of laughs when I found this site that takes making fun of homes to a new level, especially McMansions:

http://mcmansionhell.com

Their next article is about a NH McMansion. We'll see if it is in the Lakes Region.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote