Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
DCL_CT

Default Introduction

Hello everyone,

I just happened to stumble on this site while looking up different Winnipesaukee charts online. From CT, but my in-laws have a small place in Wolfeboro. My wife and I have been going up there pretty regularly since about 2000 or so. We now have three kids (son 9 1/2, daughters 8 and 5 1/2) and spend a week and a couple of long weekends in Wolfeboro every year.

My father-in-law has a small (17-foot - yikes!) Sunbird (had a heavier 18-foot Sea Ray previously). Wife and I have had our boating certificate for the past 15 or so years and enjoy taking our kids out on the lake for some fun. The boat sure does get small when the wind whips up and makes some whitecaps on the lake. On the other hand, the small boat is good for exploring all the nooks and crannies of the lake.

We were just up there last week and were attempting to take a short boat ride on Sunday (08/06). Coming out of Backbay into Wolfeboro Bay, the wind was pretty strong. Just outside of the bay, the swells were higher than the sides of our little boat. With the three kids on board as well, I thought it was wise to turn back, dock the boat, and move onto Plan B. We did manage to get out a few other times on the lake - once up to Ragged Island for an afternoon, through Hole-in-the-Wall, and around Cow Island.

Anyway, just wanted to say a collective hello to everyone. I am looking forward to joining in on some discussions here.

~Dennis
DCL_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
wtibert

Default It was Windy...

Welcome to the forum.

I was out Sunday as well. I have a 19' Hurricane Sundeck. Took the kids tubing near Beaver and Pine island then went to Wolfboro for lunch. Trip over in the morning wasn't too bad, a little windy, but the trip back to Meredith through the broads in the afternoon was a little more interesting. My kids are older (18 and 15) so they weren't too shaken up (just sprayed from time to time). It got bumpy, but manageable. I'm glad I looked at the weather the day before and knew it would be 10-15MPH winds.

Turning back is always a good idea if you don't feel safe.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Welcome to the Forum DCL! We had the grandchildren out to Welch on Sunday and they enjoyed the bumpy ride out and back.

Been here for some time but I grew up in Torrington, CT.

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
DCL_CT

Thanks for the warm welcomes! We did manage to take the kids and my in-laws out for a couple of hours this past Sunday (08/13). We made our way through Keniston and Melody Islands and spent most of the time between the backside of the Varney Islands and Deling Cove. Still, a little rough on the way back to Wolfeboro.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Welcome...

When the lake gods get upset it can get rough.... I myself just have an 18' boat... And my experience tells me that on the days where I think it to rough, and extra 4 or 5 ft of boat really will not change my mind. I have been out is some pretty wild conditions, and with older kids now, it is not so nerve racking....

But it takes time to build up confidence, in your abilities.....

Just always be aware of where you can go and dock up, if your out and don't feel safe.... Most people are willing to help... I have pulled up to a dock once or twice to wait out a thunder and lightening storm. On those occasion the home owners have been very obliging....
Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Welcome, I'm, what you would call, a fair weather boater. I only take my 19' boat out in great weather. I love the sun beating down on me and just cruising. When it's gets too hot it's time to anchor and jump in. I've never even used the bimini, it's brand new.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Besides paying attention to the weather forecasts, check out the various webcams around the lake. Start with Snake Eyes, www.rattlesnakecam.com , which not only has a great view from the Broads side of Rattlesnake Is., but also links to other webcams around the lake.
Once out on the lake, keep one eye on the sky, and another on your favorite weather app on your smartphone (if you have one).
Enjoy the lake and all it has to offer.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum DCL-CT.
We used to have a 15' Sunbird and my daughter (12-15) used it in all sorts of weather, except rain, to go from our island to the mainland, night and day. Great boat. Islanders seem to have a different sense of how weather affects their boating. At the same time, with experience and confidence comes caution. We have larger boats now, but we also wear PFD's (inflatables) all the time, regardless of weather. And the under 12's don't complain about wearing a PFD because there is no age discrimination with adults wearing them too.

I guess there is some compromise on every boat. On the other hand, every boat when purchased, is perfect... until the next boat, which is even more perfect.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Rattletrap

Welcome to the Forum
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
DCL_CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Welcome to the forum. Besides paying attention to the weather forecasts, check out the various webcams around the lake. Start with Snake Eyes, www.rattlesnakecam.com , which not only has a great view from the Broads side of Rattlesnake Is., but also links to other webcams around the lake.
Once out on the lake, keep one eye on the sky, and another on your favorite weather app on your smartphone (if you have one).
Enjoy the lake and all it has to offer.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Thanks for the tip on the webcams! I'm pretty good at navigating through the rough swells on the lake with the small boat, but usually when we're out with the kids, it's for a few hours of fun. the kids love the waves and bouncing boat, but it keeps me on my toes. I feel that I'll gather a lot of great information on this forum.

In addition to spending time in Wolfeboro when we are up there, we head up to the White Mountains whenever we can. Our son's middle name is Crawford after Crawford Notch - one of the most beautiful places in the northeast.

Back in CT for a while. Everyone, be safe out on the lake!
Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL_CT View Post
Our son's middle name is Crawford after Crawford Notch - one of the most beautiful places in the northeast.
It is quite beautifull notch especially from this vantage point.
Attached Images