Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What are your opinions regarding Lake Speed Limits compared to Bike Week
I support the Lake Speed Limits, and think Bike Week is just fine as is 22 25.58%
I support Lake Speed Limits but think Bike Week should be less restrictive 2 2.33%
I support Lake Speed Limits but think Bike week should go away 8 9.30%
I don't support Lake Speed Limits and think Bike Week should be more restrictive 13 15.12%
I don't support Lake Speed Limits, and want to really open up Bike Week, it's too heavily policed 38 44.19%
I don't care what happens on the lake, as long as my business makes money during Bike Week 0 0%
I refuse to answer, because my answer would tend to incriminate me or my doppels 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
VtSteve

Default Bike Week and Speed Limits

The BW thread made me think. Some are like Puritans when it comes to the lake, but fairly laid back when it comes to Bike Week.

I figured that I would limit this poll, since many wouldn't answer the additional radio buttons openly anyway.

The question:

Do you support Speed Limits and Bike Week Limits, or are you just in favor of restrictions on the lake, but no more than we have now during Bike Week?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Puritans

I'm a registered Puritan according to the Mayflower society in Plymouth. We came here to avoid prosecution. And guess what? No matter where you go in this world you will be prosecuted for one reason or another. I guess it is a fact of life that there is no such thing as living freely. A lot of people are dying because of this.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
ApS

Question Value: "NET", not "Gross"

I'd like to participate in this poll, but there is no selection provided for the likes of me.

While in favor of peaceable boating, I don't dislike motorcycles. If motorcycle muffler laws were enforced, I wouldn't give their presence a second glance—and seldom go near Bike-Week locales anyway.

Why isn't there a UNH economic study showing the net value of Bike-Week to the state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I'm a registered Puritan according to the Mayflower society in Plymouth. We came here to avoid prosecution. And guess what? No matter where you go in this world you will be prosecuted for one reason or another. I guess it is a fact of life that there is no such thing as living freely. A lot of people are dying because of this.
As a Puritan, you're on the wrong side of the democratic process...

Quote:
"Confusing the Pilgrims and the Puritans has been a chronic popular error for many years. The more recent association of John Winthrop with the Pilgrims has been a novel expression of that mistake. Both Presidents Reagan and Bush referred to John Winthrop as a Pilgrim.

"Of course, John Winthrop had nothing to do with the Pilgrims. The Pilgrims were not his people. Winthrop's policies were so severe that he admonished the settlers to do as they were told. He was an authoritarian.

"The Mayflower Compact, in contrast, was based on consent of the governed, the very cornerstone of democratic process."
http://www.whateveristrue.com/heritage/mayfl.html
Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
VtSteve

It's always a party stopper when you get into a debate of the new age of Puritanical thinking versus secular humanism, so why start

I'd have thought you'd be a shoe-in for choice #1 APS. You still are, except for the technicality of enforcing the noise.

I've never had a motorcycle, but I can definitely understand the love of them and the lifestyle. Tens of thousands of people love their bikes, and obviously still love bike week. I don't like their loud exhausts, but many more do like it. I have different passions than they, so we co-exist fairly responsibly.

I personally think it's great that so many people have so many different passions for their lifestyles and recreation. We have sailboat races every weekend here in the bay, which causes gridlock many times times during the days, as boats from 4 different marinas have to navigate their way through the chaotic starts and races. The fact that I don't sail anymore has nothing to do my thinking that it's still a great use of the lake. We just have different passions. As some of them flip the bird while I idle at NW speed well around the perimeter of the race, I smile and go my way.

Many people love the RV lifestyle, some tenting, powerboating, sailing, paddle boats, motorcycles. It's a fantastically diverse array of recreational choices. It's great to see people happy and co-existing. The vast majority of these folks are law-abiding people enjoying life. Some people just can't let it go that somewhere, somebody might be having a good time. If it happens to disturb their own sense of Nirvana, then it must be stopped.

I think I've read enough of your posts everywhere to know exactly what your opinion of "Peaceable boating" is. I'm pretty darn sure most everyone else does as well, so I won't wound their eyes again.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I'd have thought you'd be a shoe-in for choice #1 APS. You still are, except for the technicality of enforcing the noise.

I've never had a motorcycle, but I can definitely understand the love of them and the lifestyle. Tens of thousands of people love their bikes, and obviously still love bike week. I don't like their loud exhausts, but many more do like it.
I know of none-other—who writes in support of "Noise Pollution".
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I know of none-other—who writes in support of "Noise Pollution".
I don't write to support it, nor do I condemn it. There are a lot more people to think about when viewing these issues than myself. Hey, try that sometimes

Perhaps you can get one of those signs they have at gold tournaments, using it during bike week, plus out on the lake

If you stop blinding people with that silly CD on the lake, maybe they can see your sign.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-22-2011 at 03:12 PM.